IGNORED

Just one foul in 90 minutes oh and seven goals

Jerseybean

I saw the first half hour and it was an even game, corners and a decent shot for City and our goalie with nothing to do but to catch a couple of corners. 

I Went inside and then it apparently all fell apart. Hemp for us is a quality player and Jill Scott looks ungainly but is a fantastic player for them. I saw some really good football from both teams though.

The game was certainly not played in a basketball style - there were plenty of good, solid tackles and crunches. The ref decided not to be too picky and let many challenges go. Nor did it lack much aggression, as witnessed by the injury to Poppy Wilson and a few yellow cards. Maybe the BBC report was a little lax? (I know, you're surprised.)

From my view, the Vixens really played well for most of the match (and in contrast to their performances against Reading and Birmingham earlier). They played against a team that was in the Champions League semi-final on the weekend and most of the starters were there. Given that chances were likely to be thin on the ground, they battled well in the midfield and defended solidly. However, the game really went away from them early in the second half, when the Cityzens put away a quick-fire blast to make it 0-3; a consolation goal was a bonus as the substitutions took effect, but let in couple more at the end.

I thought the scoreline didn't really tell the story but it's not news once again. There is a clear gap between the top teams and the Vixens.

Archived