IGNORED

steven gerrard.

pillred

What I like about this is has there ever been a manager of a club who is genuinely so much better than any of the players he manages at the same time he is manager? He is only 37 so must easily be the best player in their club. Bet the board are begging him to register himself as player manager! 

5 minutes ago, Xspence said:

What I like about this is has there ever been a manager of a club who is genuinely so much better than any of the players he manages at the same time he is manager? He is only 37 so must easily be the best player in their club. Bet the board are begging him to register himself as player manager! 

Glenn Hoddle for Swindon (player-manager though) and England.  At England training camps, it was often said that he was the best player out there!

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Glenn Hoddle for Swindon (player-manager though) and England.  At England training camps, it was often said that he was the best player out there!

I heard Merson talk about this. He said training sessions were embarrassing 

12 minutes ago, Xspence said:

Lee Johnson.

22 minutes ago, Xspence said:

Craig Bellamy was saying this the other night on the debate

He said they should be asking him to put the boots on

Geoff Shreeves  laughed,  and Bellamy said ‘

’No I’m serious , I saw him play the other day , he could still play I promise you, and he’d be their best player’

20 minutes ago, Xspence said:

I heard Merson talk about this. He said training sessions were embarrassing 

Not just Swindon

Heard stories about him as manager of England demonstrating diagonal passes by throwing the ball down and repeatedly pinging a 50 yard diagonal to feet with players stood around just looking at each other almost intimidated by his ability

Theres another account of how he was working with (a young) Beckham on free kicks showing him techniques and completely outfired Beckham , in itself no mean feat

Really cant see him doing well there. Fair play to him though, shows some drive to be up for that challenge. If it was me id sit on the millions and millions he no doubt has in the bank and suck as much as i can out of BT and Sky, whilst keeping all my hair and dignity in the process, but thats just me!...

• Admin
1 hour ago, pillred said:

first real job in management a tough ask. and four year deal they must have a lot of faith.

Liverpool under 18's to Glasgow Rangers - talk about appointing a "name"

A spell similar to John Barnes at Celtic coming up?

1 hour ago, Xspence said:

Chris Waddle at Burnley - absolute disaster.

Not sure about this, first job is tough anyway , but people will expect him to get Rangers challenging and I can't see it.
If they appointed him to attract players it's a strange one, as they can't afford them, unless the recent departures have set up new people coming in. 

I think the most important bit is that Gerrard has as his assistant, Gary MacAllister who is older and has managerial experience. He is acknowledging that he, Gerrard, is inexperienced at this level so has an older, wiser head with him. 

Unlike others we could name. 

Appointing great players as managers generally falls into one of two camps: they either start at a lowly club and learn the craft from the bottom up, or go straight into a top club and hope the aura works. Gerrard's credentials as a player are unquestioned, but I feel the way Scottish football works is asking a lot if success (over Celtic) is demanded. Could be on a hiding to nothing.

1 hour ago, phantom said:

Liverpool under 18's to Glasgow Rangers - talk about appointing a "name"

A spell similar to John Barnes at Celtic coming up?

agree it's a hell of a gamble, he's a braver man than me going there, can't see the fans putting up with being second best to Celtic for too much longer.

1 hour ago, Super said:

Hopefully he plays and kicks Scott brown up in the air.

Good luck with that :)

A good part of Rangers problems since they returned to the top flight is the obsession with Celtic.  When Fergus McCann took over Celtic during the 90s he played the long game, which meant having to watch Rangers dominate and taking it on the chin.

The Rangers board could learn a lot from Fergus.

18 minutes ago, pillred said:

agree it's a hell of a gamble, he's a braver man than me going there, can't see the fans putting up with being second best to Celtic for too much longer.

Just the one Champions League final for Stevie Gee to win, then. Good luck with that, la!

24 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Good luck with that :)

A good part of Rangers problems since they returned to the top flight is the obsession with Celtic.  When Fergus McCann took over Celtic during the 90s he played the long game, which meant having to watch Rangers dominate and taking it on the chin.

The Rangers board could learn a lot from Fergus.

Celtic and Rangers are 2 massive clubs . Without each other. Scottish football doesn’t exist. Gerrard appointment should hopefully make a piss poor league more interesting 

I think he is a brave bloke taking this one on. The major concern he should have is over funding, there is still a lot of speculation up there that Rangers are on the brink of financial meltdown yet again.

Dave King, their major shareholder recently lost a court case, and the subsequent appeals, which means that he has to offer to buy out the minority shareholders of the club - something that will cost £11m.

He has already missed the initial deadline to do so.

I think it highly unlikely that SG will be given a huge budget, albeit relative, and I suspect they will be hoping that his name can attract Championship players, potentially out of contract, who will go because of who the manager is - quality wise they would be more than adequate in all likelihood, but would still demand wages that they cannot pay.

I further suspect that he will be hoping to raid Liverpool's Academy / U23's for some youngsters on loan - guess where Ryan Kent might be playing next season. 

Ultimately he will be judged on how he does against their arch enemy - who are streets ahead of them, but would probably only scrape into the top 6 in the Championship.

It would not surprise me for a second if he was gone by Christmas.

32 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

I think he is a brave bloke taking this one on. The major concern he should have is over funding, there is still a lot of speculation up there that Rangers are on the brink of financial meltdown yet again.

Dave King, their major shareholder recently lost a court case, and the subsequent appeals, which means that he has to offer to buy out the minority shareholders of the club - something that will cost £11m.

He has already missed the initial deadline to do so.

I think it highly unlikely that SG will be given a huge budget, albeit relative, and I suspect they will be hoping that his name can attract Championship players, potentially out of contract, who will go because of who the manager is - quality wise they would be more than adequate in all likelihood, but would still demand wages that they cannot pay.

I further suspect that he will be hoping to raid Liverpool's Academy / U23's for some youngsters on loan - guess where Ryan Kent might be playing next season. 

Ultimately he will be judged on how he does against their arch enemy - who are streets ahead of them, but would probably only scrape into the top 6 in the Championship.

It would not surprise me for a second if he was gone by Christmas.

Didn`t I hear somewhere that two (?) of their directors had resigned?

Archived