IGNORED

Purple Bricks

Anglo-Welsh

I wouldn't bother. They take your money upfront and basically sit on it. There is no incentive for them to try and sell your house.

Estate agents obviously charge more but there is at least an incentive to sell your house.

Always check if your are in a chain that someone else in the chain is using purple bricks. The chain could be waiting a long time.

5 minutes ago, TRL said:

I wouldn't bother. They take your money upfront and basically sit on it. There is no incentive for them to try and sell your house.

Estate agents obviously charge more but there is at least an incentive to sell your house.

Always check if your are in a chain that someone else in the chain is using purple bricks. The chain could be waiting a long time.

I work for a lot of estate agents down here in Devon & Cornwall  and meet a lot of their customers and that`s pretty much the story I hear. The agents will be biased, fair enough but I have heard some horror stories from customers - the fee taken but zero effort after that to sell the property as there`s no incentive to put the work in after they`ve been paid. I think the fee is non-refundable as well but I might be wrong about that.

I suggest the OP googles them and reads the reviews on some of the independent sites, most are pretty damning. There are many reports of potential buyers turning up for booked viewings only for the `local` representative not to turn up to let them in for instance.

I suspect they`ll just disappear as quickly as they arrived in the not too distant future - I`m certainly seeing fewer and fewer of their sale boards around than I did a year ago (yes, I am anal enough to register these things!)

4 hours ago, Anglo-Welsh said:

Anyone ever used these to sell their house? Looking for honest reviews as I've heard mixed things.

Stay well clear, the company is being investigated by regulators under the ‘Treating Customers Fairly’ remit. A lot will come out about this company in the future , stay well clear 

48 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

I work for a lot of estate agents down here in Devon & Cornwall  and meet a lot of their customers and that`s pretty much the story I hear. The agents will be biased, fair enough but I have heard some horror stories from customers - the fee taken but zero effort after that to sell the property as there`s no incentive to put the work in after they`ve been paid. I think the fee is non-refundable as well but I might be wrong about that.

I suggest the OP googles them and reads the reviews on some of the independent sites, most are pretty damning. There are many reports of potential buyers turning up for booked viewings only for the `local` representative not to turn up to let them in for instance.

I suspect they`ll just disappear as quickly as they arrived in the not too distant future - I`m certainly seeing fewer and fewer of their sale boards around than I did a year ago (yes, I am anal enough to register these things!)

I know 4 people who have been indirectly screwed over in a chain because of purple bricks..god only knows what the people who actually paid purple bricks must be thinking.

You generally get what you pay for in life. I think purple bricks sum that phrase up perfectly

A mate of mine has just sold his house with Purple bricks in Filton, above the asking price, and he absolutely loves them. As did my sister-in-law last year in Hotwells, equally impressed.

They don't charge the usual eye-watering commission rates, because they don't have the overheads of a high street shop. Everything's online now so why would anyone go into estate agents anyway? 

I see Purple Bricks boards popping up more and more all over Bristol, and they seem to turn to sold really quickly. Massively disrupting the old guard, it seems. 

For me, these lads have just metaphorically steamed into the Tote End and cleared it. Fair play, I'd use them to sell my house! 

11 hours ago, City Rocker said:

A mate of mine has just sold his house with Purple bricks in Filton, above the asking price, and he absolutely loves them. As did my sister-in-law last year in Hotwells, equally impressed.

They don't charge the usual eye-watering commission rates, because they don't have the overheads of a high street shop. Everything's online now so why would anyone go into estate agents anyway? 

I see Purple Bricks boards popping up more and more all over Bristol, and they seem to turn to sold really quickly. Massively disrupting the old guard, it seems. 

For me, these lads have just metaphorically steamed into the Tote End and cleared it. Fair play, I'd use them to sell my house! 

Bought our house using an online agent. It was seamless and both parties saved thousands. It's definitely the future and frankly the sooner all the rip off High Street agents go under the better!

Estate agents do sweet F all, there is absolutely zero reason to justify paying them a percentage of your house price.  Purple bricks are honest - they will photo your house and stick it on right move.  That's 97% of the work done.  Yes you take a bit more risk, but when an estate agent wants 1% it's an easy choice to make.  The only way you have any difficulty selling now is if the property you're trying to get rid of is a pit.  It is as much a sellers market as it is possible to be.

Look at it this way, if Purple Bricks doesn't work out for you you can go for a normal rip off agent after a month or two.  Just stick five grand on the ask to cover your losses, nobody will notice.

Never used Purple Bricks as havent sold a house since they came about. However I would always advise people to show potential buyers around the house themselves.  Assuming one can sell of course.  Twice now I have got nowhere and then shown people around myself who have ended up buying.  

Also when I have been shown around houses by estate agents I was basically let in and just told ‘here you go’ by nearly half of them

I’d definitely be using purple bricks or something similar. My place would sell at asking price easy due to its location and spec etc. The estate agents do bugger all except take a lot of people’s money. 

Before moving into my current place, I’d look at properties with estate agents and they don’t even know what they’re selling. 

“What’s behind that door?” - estate agent replies “ummm, dunno?!”

“Can we look in the garage” - estate agent replies “Hang on. Oh wait, I don’t have the keys”.

”Is the loft boarded and well insulated?” - estate agent replies “ummm, dunno”

They’re not doing themselves any favours. 

The one place I looked at via Purple Bricks was by far the best viewing because the owner showed me round and could answer any question. 

It’s much more of a personalbe way to sell a property also.

Have a good solicitor and all sorted.

1 hour ago, Chris_Brown said:

Given that people who have complaints to make are generally more motivated to review - I'd say this looks pretty good. 

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/purplebricks.co.uk

I'd definitely advocate purplebricks but that reeks of astro turfing to me.  I doubt one in ten customers bothers rating and they claim to have 42k reviews?  TrustPilot is probably one of the least trustworthy brands on the internet, they basically sell you a review score.

1 hour ago, Nibor said:

I'd definitely advocate purplebricks but that reeks of astro turfing to me.  I doubt one in ten customers bothers rating and they claim to have 42k reviews?  TrustPilot is probably one of the least trustworthy brands on the internet, they basically sell you a review score.

You're absolutely spot on. I hadn't looked that closely just at the overall score. Practically every review mentions an agent by name, and practically every reviewer has only ever made one review.

Thanks for the correction.

On 09/05/2018 at 11:38, Anglo-Welsh said:

Thanks for all the responses - this thread has summed up what I have found in my own research, namely, some people have had great experiences whilst others have had dreadful ones (there doesn't seem to be any in-between).

Just like Estate Agents then?

Archived