IGNORED

Stoke

Wanderingred

I don’t like Stoke either, never have done. I thought it was just me, and then Pulis went there and I liked them even less. Didn’t really want them in the Championship, but they certainly have had more than their due time in the Premiership. So I hope they come down and sink to League One pretty quickly. New ground for me 

13 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Makes no sense to me. Every club are where they deserve to be, whether that’s because of crap/excellent ownership or being very unlucky/lucky.

Like when I hear “Leeds should be a Premiership club”. What a load of bollocks.

Agree.

It's like the often spouted nonsense by some pundit " their long suffering fans" when describing a fan base of a club who have struggled in the premier league or recently been relegated from said league, no doubt this will be a common occurance during commentaries of any Sunderland match next season.

Was up in Stoke yesterday, plenty of sad, sad men and ladies sporting Stoke City tops feeling miserable at the thought of actually watching their having to play a proper game of football in the championship for the first time in 10 years rather than hoofing the ball and hoping it ends up in the back of the net. Can't see many of their players sticking around now. 

22 hours ago, Offside said:

I'm quite pleased they've been relegated. I often hold grudges against teams and haven't liked them since they beat us at Wembley in 2000. There was also that horrible game when they beat us at their ground near the end of the GJ play off season.

Me too. Me and my mate got caught up with their firm (The Naughty Forty) on the Tube. They put the windows through and then all steamed on. We weren't wearing colours thankfully. I'm 6ft 1 and at the time about 15 stone (17 stone now, so who ate all pies is a song I know well :laugh:) but I felt like Ronnie Corbett, they were fooking monsters and all coked up to the hilt. Longest tube trip in history:pray:

On 05/05/2018 at 15:52, 1960maaan said:

It was a midweek cup game, just checked we won 3-1

Long time ago :blink:

Screen Shot 2018-05-05 at 15.52.22.png

My notes from the time recall January 1995 Stoke returned to Ashton Gate for the F.A. Cup third round. This was goal less, but City won the replay at Stoke. They had taken a first half lead, but a flash of brilliance from Junior Bent sent the tie into extra time. Ian Baird gave City the lead and Brian Tinnion wrapped it up when he smashed a thunderbolt into the Stoke net. Looking at the above though, it suggest's Baird's goal was the third.

On 05/05/2018 at 17:36, Offside said:

I'm quite pleased they've been relegated. I often hold grudges against teams and haven't liked them since they beat us at Wembley in 2000. There was also that horrible game when they beat us at their ground near the end of the GJ play off season.

I’ve also hated them with a passion since 2000. Bastards.

19 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

Saw that earlier, £30m of players training with the yoofs and another £18m player out on loan. And we moan about OUR recruitment !

Charlie Adam has a point and you wonder about the attitude of some of the modern day footballers and being paid stupid amounts of money but not applying themselves in their job. I suppose LJs comments on more than one occasion around which players he can trust makes you wonder if we have a similar problem but on a lesser scale?

Having a big squad and some players not playing regularly can in my opinion promote this type of attitude. The loan window being binned doesn’t help matters so clubs are holding on to more players and inflating squad sizes and players left kicking their heels

If clubs had a cap on squad sizes imposed from day 1 of the league season of say 24 players and clubs can only use their own U23 or youth players between the transfer windows then clubs wouldn’t stock pile players. Some Prem teams are carrying squads of 40+ players which is ridiculous and needs addressing. 

On 05/05/2018 at 16:10, havanatopia said:

Hardly surprising if true; Hughes spent bucket loads and most of them are not even on the bench. My Stoke pal says a shocking waste of money. They asked for boring Pulis to go, wishing to do a Charlton and kick on, and have paid the price with Hughes essentially doing what Harry does only much worse. 

Thats an oxymoron.

Pulis also spent a decent amount of money there, on not too great players- though on balance did an excellent job- much as his time here was abysmal.

Don't think there's a great problem with the ability of a decent number of their players- sounds a weird thing to say, but on paper they should have been capable of midtable with some decent football. However, from what I've read their attitude in many cases is appalling- Butland said similar. However a lot of them are technically sound, useful individually once you strip away key factors like attitude, application, character and the like.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44027903

They are in a right mess now though- unhappy camp, Butland, Shawcross, Allen and Shaqiri to name 4 will be off, others will be looking elsewhere- and not such a young squad either.

15 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Charlie Adam has laid into his teammates as well:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44034189

Clearly a really unhappy camp...

Don't understand that. He's a senior pro, he should've bollocked them, and then named them to the public as people not bothering and just picking up a cheque.

2 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

Don't understand that. He's a senior pro, he should've bollocked them, and then named them to the public as people not bothering and just picking up a cheque.

Bit difficult bollocking others, I guess when you are unfit yourself !!!

;)

I listen to 606 on 5Live most Saturdays and Sundays. Its funny that a few seasons ago Stoke fans would phone in complaining about the football under Pulis. Pulius goes and a few seasons down the line they are relegated.

The same with West Brom, at the start of this season the fans moaned about the style of football, Pulis goes and they are relegated (virtually).

It just goes to show what can happen.

8 minutes ago, CHIPLEY RED said:

I listen to 606 on 5Live most Saturdays and Sundays. Its funny that a few seasons ago Stoke fans would phone in complaining about the football under Pulis. Pulius goes and a few seasons down the line they are relegated.

The same with West Brom, at the start of this season the fans moaned about the style of football, Pulis goes and they are relegated (virtually).

It just goes to show what can happen.

Can you imagine being subjected to it though? Besides, Pulis left years ago and stoke became a team that tried to play football, not a long throw/long ball team, and league positions improved. This is almost entirely down to recruitment.

9 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

Can you imagine being subjected to it though? Besides, Pulis left years ago and stoke became a team that tried to play football, not a long throw/long ball team, and league positions improved. This is almost entirely down to recruitment.

We were- back in 1999/00!

For about 5 months or so, and god it was the worst I've seen. I think it was along those lines, and it was worse than Stoke if anything. The most rudimentary shit...

Recruitment- and management. Look through their squad man for man and it should IMO anyway, have had enough to stay up this season, ability wise. Now, whether it had the character, the application- well it speaks for itself that it didn't.

9 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

We were- back in 1999/00!

For about 5 months or so, and god it was the worst I've seen. I think it was along those lines, and it was worse than Stoke if anything. The most rudimentary shit...

Recruitment- and management. Look through their squad man for man and it should IMO anyway, have had enough to stay up this season, ability wise. Now, whether it had the character, the application- well it speaks for itself that it didn't.

I remember mush! Hurried my post Tbf but one of my earliest city memories is my family celebrating pulis ******* off.

Could say they didn't have the right DNA....

Archived