IGNORED

Father and child supporting other teams?

Norn Iron

So Stoke are relegated.

Our only child was born in Stoke prior to our Northern Ireland move. 

The good news is that we will be coming over for both games. The funny news is that our only son is a Stokie. He'll be in the Boothen End whilst I will be in the away end!

9 am on Thursday 21st June will tell me when we'll visit the Gate.

So, who else on OTIB has with a similar problem when it comes to a City match and a loved one is in the opposite end?

2 minutes ago, Norn Iron said:

So Stoke are relegated.

The good news is that we will be coming over for both games. The funny news is that our only son is a Stokie. He'll be in the Boothen End whilst I will be in the away end!

So, who else on OTIB has with a similar problem when it comes to a City match and a loved one is in the opposite end?

My lad (now 17) was a City fan for years because his grandad and me are. Season after season I used to drag him all over the country watching the reds. I remember his 7th birthday, 'what do you want to do today son?'. 'Where are City playing dad'? 'Crystal palace away'. 'I want to go to Crystal palace then!'. We got stuffed 4-1 (?) I think.

I took him to Coventry that same season and he was a miserable little shit all day. When I asked him why, he said ' I tried to love City for you and grandad but it's Chelsea for me'. As a dutiful dad, I took him to Stamford bridge to watch Chelsea win 7-0 and 7-1, they were pretty good to be fair. Now he goes to west London a few times a season with a couple of mates and doesn't give City a 2nd thought.

Glory hunting little / big now shit! ;)

I used to have the problem: mum and dad both Rovers fans. Went to a few City Rovers games with the old man, invariably he ended up being a mouthy ********.

One notable occasion was the home game early 90s that effectively relegated them. 93?. We were sat in the Williams and at full-time dear old deluded dad went off on another rant with some passing stranger. Said stranger just replied "you're down mate", laughed in his face,  and continued on his way.

My boyfriend is a Brentford fan which has given me many issues in the past couple of years. If we could just get a good result against them once, I'd appreciate it.

Means I watch them quite a bit as well - as I actually work in Brentford and live in South London nowadays...

26 minutes ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

I used to have the problem: mum and dad both Rovers fans. Went to a few City Rovers games with the old man, invariably he ended up being a mouthy ********.

One notable occasion was the home game early 90s that effectively relegated them. 93?. We were sat in the Williams and at full-time dear old deluded dad went off on another rant with some passing stranger. Said stranger just replied "you're down mate", laughed in his face,  and continued on his way.

Me too, both mum and dad Rovers, in fact they met in the Queens Head in near Eastville which used to be owned by my grandparents. Mum even wrote for the Rovers programme at one point.

Luckily an uncle took me to see City beat Chelsea in 78 ish and I was hooked (so technically I'm a glory hunter)! Although only really committed after the 82 now or never stuff ( I'm perverse like that).......

32 minutes ago, Norn Iron said:

So Stoke are relegated.

Wasn`t the Boothen End at the Victoria Ground?

16 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

My lad (now 17) was a City fan for years because his grandad and me are. Season after season I used to drag him all over the country watching the reds. I remember his 7th birthday, 'what do you want to do today son?'. 'Where are City playing dad'? 'Crystal palace away'. 'I want to go to Crystal palace then!'. We got stuffed 4-1 (?) I think.

I took him to Coventry that same season and he was a miserable little shit all day. When I asked him why, he said ' I tried to love City for you and grandad but it's Chelsea for me'. As a dutiful dad, I took him to Stamford bridge to watch Chelsea win 7-0 and 7-1, they were pretty good to be fair. Now he goes to west London a few times a season with a couple of mates and doesn't give City a 2nd thought.

Ska,

Like you, I tried and tried to get him to be a City fan. Heck, even my Northern Irish wife organised his first ever photo shoot with him wearing a City bib (he was only a few hours old so had no say in the matter).

He was 4 when we moved over here. He realised that everyone has a Premier League /Celtic/Rangers team. He might as well support another Premier League club, so his birth place became his team. He refused to support City and I made it very clear that he could not support the usual glory clubs. "Don't be a Sheep" was often quoted by me!

He even turned down a photo when we visited the Gate on a weekday and Lewis Carey offered a photo opportunity with my 6 year old! 

At least he likes footy. He's seen Stoke play a couple of times when we've been over.

Here's to the first game of the season being against Stoke. To have a beer with him in a pub (over a meal as he's not quite 18!) will still be memorable.

Luckily so far both my kids (now aged 12 and 9) how followed in the footsteps of my dad and me and support City as their only club. Both have had season tickets for several years but don't go to every game - probably about two thirds. They have built up some good memories (especially the double winning season - they loved the win at Wembley - and beating Man Utd). Both love Flint and I imagine will be gutted if he leaves.

I have a feeling my daughter (the 12 year old) is more likely to lose interest at some point - she whinges a bit more during the duller games, although I couldn't blame her in matches like the recent Brentford one. My son gets much more wrapped up in it, especially now he knows the words to the songs with swearing in.

Both of my young un’s (5 & 10) both ‘like’ other teams, daughter likes Man City ever since I woke her up going mental at the ‘agueeeroooooo’ on the tv and my boy has recently took a liking to Liverpool. Both are City season ticket holders and I’m forever drumming it into them the City should always be your no1 team though.I’ve never had the urge to follow a prem team as so many do these days, will never understand fully grown adults supporting a team hundreds of miles away with most of them never going to a game, yet they always are the first ones to label their local teams as shit.

Good grief , parenthood starts young. When my lad was too small to go to games ( thereby also too small to join me in the pub) every time Man Utd or Liverpool or indeed anyone else playing in red was on the telly I told him it was City. By the time he was old enough to come to the games he was a commited City fan. 

Reading this thread makes me worry about modern parents, woeful

My dear old Dad was a proper dyed in the wool gashead...he even played for them, but didn’t make the first team....and his Dad and Grandad were exactly the same....luckily I ended up as a City fan, looking back, I think it was to spite them...though I miss them terribly...at least they taught me to support a local team...

13 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

I bet you're the sort of Dad that if the son asks twice to have you buy him something you would always cave in.

:disapointed2se::sunwon:. Shameful capitulation. Are you Lee Johnson?

4 hours ago, Grey Fox said:

Good grief , parenthood starts young. When my lad was too small to go to games ( thereby also too small to join me in the pub) every time Man Utd or Liverpool or indeed anyone else playing in red was on the telly I told him it was City. By the time he was old enough to come to the games he was a commited City fan. 

Reading this thread makes me worry about modern parents, woeful

Exactly this. We have a duty, even if its piped Wurzels '...one for the city' in the cot at night. Taking your young ones to a match other than City is tantamount to treason. Public flogging at the very least for Junkie.

3 hours ago, havanatopia said:

Exactly this. We have a duty, even if its piped Wurzels '...one for the city' in the cot at night. Taking your young ones to a match other than City is tantamount to treason. Public flogging at the very least for Junkie.

100%, my little girl is 7 months now and loves the Wurzels, has watched (and stayed awake) through our games on the tele, she even laughed and smiled when Smith scored ‘that’ goal. 

I’ve also converted the other half to a red, that annoyed her dad who’s a Sag :shifty: As well as teaching her the words to ‘My Old Man....’ which funnily she has chanted at him (in a jokey way of course!)

Surely we should be owed some commission or bonus from the club for the hard work we’ve done, it’s not exactly an easy sell....

My Dad was a Leeds fan, but I was born in Bristol and have always lived in BS3. He took me to City because I am a Bristolian and he told me thats who I should support. He isn't a regular attendee at Ashton Gate, but if hes doing jobs on a Saturday afternoon, you can guarantee that BBC Bristol is on, as he has adopted City too. 

Archived