IGNORED

Joe Bryan

Herbsley

4 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Could Celtic afford the fee for Joe Bryan? Can’t remember them spending huge amounts lately and at least 8m would be a huge chunk of their budget. Obviously they have a few players worth 10m+ that if sold could change things but can’t see it personally. 

Announced this week that they will be getting a cheque for near £30 million for their Champions League ‘Campaign’ (Group Exit)

17 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Very high possibility.

Who would that leave from the pre-Johnson era?

Fielding, Smith, that’s it, excluding youth players.  That’s quite a clear out, and I accept football is more revolving doors these days.

If I could keep one of the four you list, it would be Flint, if two, then Reid.

I am not 100% convinced we will lose so many. We set the prices and if not met players will not go. I know teams in the prem have lots of money but they don’t just spend silly amounts. 

Will someone spend 8m on Flint? 

Will someone spend 8-10m on Bryan? 

Would we sell Pack for 1-1.5m or just let him  play out his final season and continue talks? Players like Pack who don’t score or assist generally do not command large fees. Often see them move clubs on free transfers. 

Reid I will concede we will need to take an offer if he is not signing a new deal. 

So all that said, I think Reid is the most likely to go. Everyone else 50/50 at best. Just because they played well for a bit doesn’t mean there will be a queue for their services. Also, and not aimed at anyone in particular, but hate the over reaction to our poor second half of the season. Everyone either seems resigned to losing 5-6 key players or is saying sell players like Paterson and Baker because they have hit a poor patch of form. 

Most likely, we will be going into next season with the same group of core players perhaps down Reid and Bryan. BCFC will know they can’t lose 4-5 players and spin a successful summer. They have made some bad decisions with signings but they aren’t daft. They know they are close and need to add more than subtract. 

3 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Announced this week that they will be getting a cheque for near £30 million for their Champions League ‘Campaign’ (Group Exit)

I take it back then!! Though that 30m will have to cover some wages I would think. Hard to see them using 50% of that on just Joe Bryan when I think they can attract better from abroad for less. Though not as inconceivable with the 30m you mention.  

2 hours ago, JBFC II said:

He has got an u21 cap for scotland so maybe going there to strengthen his chances of getting a full cap for them? 

I think he is a much better player than people think he is, both going forward and as a defender but I wouldn't be too disappointed to see him go as I reckon a few have become a bit too cosy here and need a new challenge 

No, he hasn't.

3 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Ah right, knew he'd been called up but didn't realise he didn't get one

I don’t think he’s ever been called up either.  He qualifies for Scotland because of his dad, but he has stated previously he has no interest.

13 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I am not 100% convinced we will lose so many. We set the prices and if not met players will not go. I know teams in the prem have lots of money but they don’t just spend silly amounts. 

Will someone spend 8m on Flint? 

Will someone spend 8-10m on Bryan? 

Would we sell Pack for 1-1.5m or just let him  play out his final season and continue talks? Players like Pack who don’t score or assist generally do not command large fees. Often see them move clubs on free transfers. 

Reid I will concede we will need to take an offer if he is not signing a new deal. 

So all that said, I think Reid is the most likely to go. Everyone else 50/50 at best. Just because they played well for a bit doesn’t mean there will be a queue for their services. Also, and not aimed at anyone in particular, but hate the over reaction to our poor second half of the season. Everyone either seems resigned to losing 5-6 key players or is saying sell players like Paterson and Baker because they have hit a poor patch of form. 

Most likely, we will be going into next season with the same group of core players perhaps down Reid and Bryan. BCFC will know they can’t lose 4-5 players and spin a successful summer. They have made some bad decisions with signings but they aren’t daft. They know they are close and need to add more than subtract. 

Problem is

We don’t necessarily set the fee Joe

Buy out clauses.....

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I don’t think he’s ever been called up either.  He qualifies for Scotland because of his dad, but he has stated previously he has no interest.

Got called up for the u21s back in 2012 but didn't play because of concussion according to Wiki, but then again it isn't the most reliable of sources.... 

1 minute ago, JBFC II said:

Got called up for the u21s back in 2012 but didn't play because of concussion according to Wiki, but then again it isn't the most reliable of sources.... 

Wiki, likely to be more reliable than me though....15-love to you :P

4 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

And told Twentyman the other day he’s English and would love to represent England

Yep, he's Bristolian and no reason he would want to represent Scotland any more than the rest of us.

2 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Problem is

We don’t necessarily set the fee Joe

Buy out clauses.....

But that is only speculation and even then, I highly doubt we agreed to lowbuy out clauses. I am not even convinced they are as common at our level as some think. I can’t remember the last time I read a championship player is moving after said club triggered release clause.

Who do you reckon has one? Flint signed a new deal and people seem to think he could have one. Do we believe city agreed to a 5m clause when we were getting 6m bids in January? If there is anything I have learned from the MA regime is that key players aren’t leaving on the cheap, release clause or not. I am not convinced we have 3-4 players that teams are willing to spend 8m + on. You rarely see it. I don’t see Preston selling 4-5 key players. Or Sheff U. Brentford did this summer but need the money now as they have scrapped academy and have to rely on recruitment. Not to mention their small attendances and new stadium. 

Again, my opinion, but can’t see the club selling any more than 2 key players. Unless they feel Flint is redundant to Baker(or even vice versa). So two key players in Bryan and Reid and a player they have been preparing for their departure in Flint. I just don’t see this total rebuild some are seeing. At worst we make 20m on 3 players and decide not to reinvest any and go into the season with Kelly at LB. Wright at CB and Fam as a lone striker. Not a relegation side without spending a penny. We have a damn good team here who is young and will only get better. Almost too much focus on what we might lose instead of the good we have. It will be a positive summer imo and good next year. LJ is the biggest fear. Can he grow as fast as the squad? Legit question. Think everything else is good enough to improve us

3 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

But that is only speculation and even then, I highly doubt we agreed to lowbuy out clauses. I am not even convinced they are as common at our level as some think. I can’t remember the last time I read a championship player is moving after said club triggered release clause.

Who do you reckon has one? Flint signed a new deal and people seem to think he could have one. Do we believe city agreed to a 5m clause when we were getting 6m bids in January? If there is anything I have learned from the MA regime is that key players aren’t leaving on the cheap, release clause or not. I am not convinced we have 3-4 players that teams are willing to spend 8m + on. You rarely see it. I don’t see Preston selling 4-5 key players. Or Sheff U. Brentford did this summer but need the money now as they have scrapped academy and have to rely on recruitment. Not to mention their small attendances and new stadium. 

Again, my opinion, but can’t see the club selling any more than 2 key players. Unless they feel Flint is redundant to Baker(or even vice versa). So two key players in Bryan and Reid and a player they have been preparing for their departure in Flint. I just don’t see this total rebuild some are seeing. At worst we make 20m on 3 players and decide not to reinvest any and go into the season with Kelly at LB. Wright at CB and Fam as a lone striker. Not a relegation side without spending a penny. We have a damn good team here who is young and will only get better. Almost too much focus on what we might lose instead of the good we have. It will be a positive summer imo and good next year. LJ is the biggest fear. Can he grow as fast as the squad? Legit question. Think everything else is good enough to improve us

Joe - I don’t see the best first eleven needing a big rebuild (3 at most hopefully), it’s the rest of the squad, where we have too much dead wood / not good enough saplings!

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Joe - I don’t see the best first eleven needing a big rebuild (3 at most hopefully), it’s the rest of the squad, where we have too much dead wood / not good enough saplings!

No doubt. My point being for us, losing players in inevitable. Hopefully, we can use that money to bring in the quality. That doesn’t mean getting rid of everyone not good enough for our starting XI. Example Paterson, clearly a good player but form can be erratic. Started majority of our games this season. Bring in better and push him to the bench. Wright good bench option. Know everyone loves Pack/Smith(I do too) one needs to be on the bench for a better CM. Fielding should be a quality #2. 

Anyway I am finding it difficult to articulate my main point without rambling. I will try again. I am still positive about our squad. Even if a few were sold I would feel the same. Hopefully the reinvestment pushes some key players to the bench making the squad stronger in turn. Though the sales may not be as inevitable as made out on here. Think us and the club need to stay strong. Tough second half of the season but think we overacheived on the whole. I know it feels like opportunity missed to many but I don’t see any reason we can’t be stronger next year and the even the season after. Everyone wants prem football at the club but I don’t think it was ever expected that LJ would give us that in his second full season. It was a major task rebuilding many things at once at this clun and the staff has done great. Let us keep the faith a bit longer and I am sure it will pay off. 

Rambled again but a bit better

54 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Do you think he’s good enough?  

It only takes a month of good performances at the right time and maybe a wonder goal for the press to get excited which in turn puts pressure on a call up. With so many friendlies I think he stands a very good chance of a call up if playing in the prem.

Tierney is a fantastic prospect and potentially would have been picked up already if it wasn't for his love of Celtic (and a nice new 6 year deal).

Wouldn't be surprised to see a big side take a punt on him this Summer.

Even with the money they'd get, I couldn't see Celtic being able to afford JB, especially if PL clubs get involved.

4 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

Hi Major. Have you ever been to Stenhousmuir FC? When still working I used to go there often, but not for football. To visit a customer. Behind the only, small, stand is a company making sweets. The football ground floodlights reminded me of City's first lights but with about half the number of pylons. 

While it's very basic there's one thing that that level of Scottish football does, is to give sixteen and seventeen year old a real taste of "men's football" long before they do in England. 

Scotland and I don't get on very well I'm afraid.

3 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Yep, he's Bristolian and no reason he would want to represent Scotland any more than the rest of us.

Yeah like your thought process. However he qualifies for Scotland and if there was a chance of International football it would be very tempting....And would add value even as part of a sale and a sell on clause!

13 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Yeah like your thought process. However he qualifies for Scotland and if there was a chance of International football it would be very tempting....And would add value even as part of a sale and a sell on clause!

Why would you want to represent a country you have zero affiliation with if you are born and bred English?

I really don't get this - I'm English and if I 'qualified' for Scotland I would not give up my English identity just to play international football.

I'd feel a fraud, and my heart could never be in it.

I'd turn it down, and I reckon Joe would too.

13 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Why would you want to represent a country you have zero affiliation with if you are born and bred English?

I really don't get this - I'm English and if I 'qualified' for Scotland I would not give up my English identity just to play international football.

I'd feel a fraud, and my heart could never be in it.

I'd turn it down, and I reckon Joe would too.

Clearly he does have an affiliation to Scotland through his parents and qualifies for them. We have known this for a while.

I understand how you would feel, but Joe may not as he qualifies for Scotland

Will Joe turn it down if the opportunity came a long...I would bet you a fiver that he would not!

2 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Clearly he does have an affiliation to Scotland through his parents and qualifies for them. We have known this for a while.

I understand how you would feel, but Joe may not as he qualifies for Scotland

Will Joe turn it down if the opportunity came a long...I would bet you a fiver that he would not!

Thems fighting talk .

:mafia:

Archived