IGNORED

The Bristol City FC v Sheffield United FC Match Day Thread 46

Septic Peg

13 minutes ago, steveybadger said:

Not sure why, he was at best 4th choice striker and 38, and thought he wanted to go back north anyway?

good luck to him by the way

He wanted to go back North to play.

We offered him a coaching role! We lost his influence around the club when we really needed it and signed Diony. Happy Days!

Was that yet another shambolic capitulation only for City to have to fight back because they were shite inside 34 first half minutes? 

Or did the club play 11 under 19's and bring a few pros on later to score a couple of goals and avoid mass booing? 

I hope those who went did not wait for a 'lap of disgrace'.

Glad I did not follow it. 

I sincerely hope something is changed in the managerial and player recruitment departments in the close season. Carry on as we are and we will be relegated this time next year, stating the obvious. 

What a woeful 55% of the season.

37 minutes ago, Ser Davos Ciderworth said:

A leader of men. LJ couldn’t handle having him at the club. 

Odd then that it was reported at the time that he persuaded the club to offer Wilbs a new contract and a coaching role.

Wilbs had the chance to move close to home and get more playing time so we didn't stand in his way.

15 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

What about on the evidence of the last 24 odd games?; would you say Lee Johnson is ready to manage in the Championship?

I have my doubts . 

He's on RB complaining of lack of application from certain players . 

Surely that's up to him to keep them all on their toes ? 

He talks well,

33 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Not sure about that, but maybe....However what a terrible decision to not offer him a playing contract.

As I remember, Wilbs was actually given another 12 month contract.

Shortly after the club were good enough to tear it up and allow him the chance of regular 1st team football (Which he wouldn't have had here) and be closer to home.

8 minutes ago, MJP3 said:

As I remember, Wilbs was actually given another 12 month contract.

Shortly after the club were good enough to tear it up and allow him the chance of regular 1st team football (Which he wouldn't have had here) and be closer to home.

I think you remember it marginally incorrectly. LJ made it clear he wanted him coaching and his contract was mainly on that basis.

Wilbraham made it clear when he left that he wanted to be involved as a player on a matchday as a first team player. Plenty of video about it.

Of course going back North was a factor. But he approached SL and we gave him a free transfer

1 hour ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Having the wit to be able just to debate like normal people might be a start without having to start out with snide comments and backing that up with intelligent emojis.

If you have a different point of view fine, I will respect that always but just putting a snide comment without content or argument is not debate.

Don’t bother EMB he / she’s is a troll with real issues

Like trying to communicate with a potato 

24 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

I have my doubts . 

He talks well,

He’s a fantastic talker, unfortunately in the main the chat isn’t backed by the action.

Last week we had redound our ‘identity ‘ this week there is a lack of application from certain players, I get today was a nothing game but it was a game for the players to play relaxed. I get the players have a responsibility to self motivate but if they’re not on it, the coach is there to take action. Does this happen?

17 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

I think you remember it marginally incorrectly. LJ made it clear he wanted him coaching and his contract was mainly on that basis.

Wilbraham made it clear when he left that he wanted to be involved as a player on a matchday as a first team player. Plenty of video about it.

Of course going back North was a factor. But he approached SL and we gave him a free transfer

My memories are the same as yours.

The contact was offered and signed but it was clear his 1st team opportunities were likely to be limited.

Clearly prolonging his playing career was understandably more important to him than ocassional games & coaching.

1 minute ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

Really?  That was his 2nd goal this season, hardly prolific, I’d say it was totally the right decision, and didn’t he want to move north anyway

It was his influence we needed as stated in the various answers I have given already which was one of the reasons LJ wanted him to stay as a forward coach. Wilbraham wanted to be around a first team on match day and got himself a free transfer after Bolton expressed an interest and speaking with SL and LJ (Bet Bolton regret that decision, NOT)...Watch the interviews and read the press at the time

However We got the worst forward I have seen in January, he made Bas look a world beater. He scored Zero goals and by comparison to have a Wilbo in your team to throw on when chasing a game would have saved/won points even if he did not actually score (which he would of) as players would of got knock on's and flicks....We resorted to throwing Flint forward leaving ourselves hopelessly exposed at the back.

Anyway no more responses on this subject. That was what happened!

1 minute ago, MJP3 said:

My memories are the same as yours.

The contact was offered and signed but it was clear his 1st team opportunities were likely to be limited.

Clearly prolonging his playing career was understandably more important to him than ocassional games & coaching.

Thank the Lord, someone else that is not suffering from memory loss!

37 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Odd then that it was reported at the time that he persuaded the club to offer Wilbs a new contract and a coaching role.

Wilbs had the chance to move close to home and get more playing time so we didn't stand in his way.

Keep drinking the Koolaid fella

35 minutes ago, Ser Davos Ciderworth said:

Keep drinking the Koolaid fella

So you're saying it wasn't reported as such at the time and my memory is faulty (old age never comes alone as they say)?

If so, what is the contrary source of information that supports your claim?

3 hours ago, Peter1450 said:

Unless you hadn’t noticed Warnock is too busy taking Cardiff to the premier league, 7 make that 8 promotions,and people still take the piss out of their style of play!  Do you think you have been watching entertaining football at Aston gate since December?

I'm supporting Warnock in that post mate!

Three difficult/disappointing months, well represented by today's loss.

We finished 11th: considerably better than last season's ending, but after an incredibile run and 4 months spent in the playoff zone, I feel more regretful than satisfied. :mellow: 

The only consolation is that the 4 teams who achieved the playoffs have more resources (both on and off the pitch) than our club: it puts things into perspective, reminding us how difficult and competitive this league is.

The focus now moves into the summer transfer window, and the changes that will occur in our team (and maybe in the management staff too?).

Then August will come, and we'll return singing Forza Robins!  :trumpet:

2 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

I have my doubts . 

He talks well,

As always Major, talk is cheap...

On this occasion he should have kept 'shtum..

1 hour ago, Robert the bruce said:

As always Major, talk is cheap...

On this occasion he should have kept 'shtum..

I wish in the interview someone said 'Isn't that your job'?  I'd have thought the head coach's main role was to maintain discipline and motivation?

Archived