IGNORED

Read so much crap

Hampshire Red

4 hours ago, Hampshire Red said:

I will take bettering 10th next season whatever our squad. 

Great season, thanks again Lj, MA, SL. 

Bring on August 

Ignore all the Gas and critical posts

We love you City! 

You have got to be having a laugh?

What part of relegation form since Xmas, abysmal transfer window and inept head coach being unable to arrest our slump don't you understand? Un - bloody- believable!

Happy clapping, clapping, happy clap!! 

Related image

4 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

Is there anyone with a balanced view on this forum?

The first half of the season was bloody fantastic beyond our dreams.

The second half was awful.

LJ is neither a messiah giving us a great season nor a failure who deserves the sack.

what other conclusion given the way results have gone could any sane person have come up with apart from what has been said, there is no balanced view other than we were good then we were crap balanced enough for you?

9 hours ago, Andy082005 said:

Forget the first half of the season. You can only look at the way we are playing now and which direction the momentum is taking us

Absolutely this. You cannot ignore how abysmal we have been since Christmas and that is current form. 

8 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Tired of defending the club in the name of broad progress. We had a wonderful opportunity and we comprehensively blew it.

As fans I think it’s fair to say we didn’t demand promotion. But we did demand that, having put ourselves in such a great position at Christmas, we gave ourselves the very best shot at it. But we collapsed inexcusably and failed miserably to strengthen the side. Woeful.

Youll have to tell me which bit of the above isn’t “realist” enough for you.

Fair play Chippers. You defended the team as long as you could too, but you are bang on here. The realists are the ones who realised that the writing was on the wall following the loss at home to Wolves and subsequently getting that 5-0 drubbing at Villa. Far too many had their heads stuck in the clouds after beating Man Utd and their season was over and it had been fantastic. No it hadn’t. We were the only side to completely screw it up who was in the top 6 at Christmas. The only one, plus we were the highest placed!!!! Make no mistake. If the season would have started at the Wolves game Johnson would be out. Realists don’t live on past glories, they live in the HERE and NOW.

6 hours ago, Ser Davos Ciderworth said:

I honestly think @Hampshire Red is watching a different game to what I’ve been to since Xmas. Maybe he got confused after the Man City match and has been following the sky blues since?

Trying to be a ‘better fan’ than the so called ‘haters’ and ‘gas’. All of the negative posters that I know are true City fans. They have been through years and years of the same abject failures but still go to watch. The only difference is that they have seen enough to know that they cannot be fooled and are too long in the tooth to. ‘Always believe’. If something ain’t right they are going to call it out. Years and years of experience predicted our pathetic demise. Just look back on the threads calling it out, just look at where some people said we would finish, and still they were shouted down and called out as not being a ‘proper fan’. The final league table doesn’t lie. Some might not like it, but it was the reality of the situation.

5 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

You have got to be having a laugh?

What part of relegation form since Xmas, abysmal transfer window and inept head coach being unable to arrest our slump don't you understand? Un - bloody- believable!

Happy clapping, clapping, happy clap!! 

Related image

It’s sad mate. There is a City Til I Die post on Facebook about it being an amazing season and how proud we all are. My Gashead mates have been reposting it and taking the piss royally. Honestly, we have some right ********* who support this club and set themselves up to be a laughing stock. If fans are happy clappy with mediocrity or worse then what chance have we ever got? Even Cardiff fans I know are going on about how crazy it was that they went up and City completely bottled it. Some fans got shit in their eyes mate.

11 hours ago, Hampshire Red said:

Great season, thanks again Lj, MA, SL. 

Bring on August 

Ignore all the Gas and critical posts

We love you City! 

Ignore all the critical posts? 

That's as close to the definition of happy clapper I can imagine. I'm sure you don't really mean that. 

I'd never want any club to ignore all criticism from supporters. 

9 hours ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

We have been 2nd best for most of 2018 and the results bear that out

It's worth remembering that being "second best" isn't actually unusual for Bristol City and shouldn't be a surprise - resource wise we should expect to be second best to at least half the division, that is our accurate place in the Championship pecking order. To then be successful, the job of the manager and the players is to overcome those odds a few times, or at least have a go at overcoming them.

The real issue is that for the last four months not only have we NOT done that, but we have evidenced little or no coaching of a coherent game-plan or strategy to overcome even inferior clubs that we SHOULD be expecting to better - as per recent total lack of chances, calamitous rate of conceding and one-sided football, even against all three relegated sides and all three former League One sides.

I can live with being second best. I can't live with no sign of a plan to overcome it - which is what we've had for months now. I'm very happy to look back at the season and apportion credit and blame in equal measure, as most right minded fans will do, but I'm not sure how we're supposed to conclude the trajectory is positive given the total absence of tactics and imminent departure of our best players.

It's difficult to set aside our 2018 form but I will & look at yesterday's game in isolation. LJ got the starting X1 wrong. They all looked frightened of Clarke & Sharp not just Kelly. At h/t I thought this could be 5 or 6 nil. LJ changes it, fair play & we get one back. Not for the first time, Flint. He gees up the crowd, great free kick from Joe playing in his best role, attacking mid. Got the crowd back on side & I really felt we'd draw or even win. End the season with a bit of a flourish. I understand that LJ wanted to give Semenyo or Bakinson some minutes but to achieve it he chucked his h/t changes out of the window. Worst of all Bobby, one of the Champ players of the season, probably playing his last game for us, marginalised & shoved out wide. You're better off leaving, Bob, & good luck to you.

LJ's stock is not exactly high at the mo. He needed a performance. I cannot imagine any other manager in that position doing what he did. To me it showed complete disdain for the fans. The actions of a man who feels he's fireproof. His toys & he can break them if it suits him. Shame on him.

14 minutes ago, Olé said:

It's worth remembering that being "second best" isn't actually unusual for Bristol City and shouldn't be a surprise - resource wise we should expect to be second best to at least half the division, that is our accurate place in the Championship pecking order. To then be successful, the job of the manager and the players is to overcome those odds a few times, or at least have a go at overcoming them.

The real issue is that for the last four months not only have we NOT done that, but we have evidenced little or no coaching of a coherent game-plan or strategy to overcome even inferior clubs that we SHOULD be expecting to better - as per recent total lack of chances, calamitous rate of conceding and one-sided football, even against all three relegated sides and all three former League One sides.

I can live with being second best. I can't live with no sign of a plan to overcome it - which is what we've had for months now. I'm very happy to look back at the season and apportion credit and blame in equal measure, as most right minded fans will do, but I'm not sure how we're supposed to conclude the trajectory is positive given the total absence of tactics and imminent departure of our best players.

I agree with your sentiment mate...but I'm not so sure it's a game plan that's the problem.

I watch and can see what's being asked, but more often than not mistakes that lead to goals,, is down to individuals being lacklustre in their approach.

Often I have seen us trying to break through the lines with one touch passing, moving forward as one, then one misjudged or mistimed pass gets intercepted and we are out of shape defensively and on the back foot. It is then you notice the 'desire' in certain players...the willingness to track back, sprint back, cover etc.

We are often fine going forward...and the desire is there.

We do well when not in possession and are disciplined in closing down players when the 'trigger' happens. Yesterday however...that was also lacklustre and often too late.

Our stats show that we have a very busy defence who are considered competent.

And it's easy to see that with the eyes and not just stats. We allow teams on to us... we try to pressure high and close down when out of possession and when doing it in a good shape we are fine. We look to make an interception and create pressure to force a bad pass to be intercepted.

However...when we lose possession when going forward, that's when it becomes our achilles heal. So many fail to track back with urgency or try to tackle or use body shape with force.

Many are guilty of it...Joe Bryan and Patto in particular. Full of energy going forward...but when chasing back, are happy to let others cover.

I guess, if we are to continue playing the same way, we will have to make upgrades.

For example...JB has many attributes going forward, and less defensively. Take Cunningham who we let go...you wouldn't see him being so defensively poor...but with him, you lose all the ability that Joe brings going forward. So it's swings and roundabouts. Take JB's offensive attributes with Cunninghams defensive quality...put them together and you have a Prem player. So that's the problem...and you can see this all across the team.

I think the 'plan to overcome it', as you put it, will be seen over the next few months. As to who leaves and who comes in.

Whether it will work or not...who knows.

13 hours ago, Hampshire Red said:

Great half season, thanks again Lj, MA, SL. 

Bring on August 

Ignore all the fanciful happy clapping posts

We love you City! 

12 hours ago, Hampshire Red said:

Sorting the realists from those who play too much fantasy F.A

We were 2nd best today as we have been most games in 2018 but what a great season it nearly was ! 

It may be a while until we reach results like 2017 but we will continue to support the club we love

HR

I'm assuming there were a few typo's in your posts, I've tried to fix them :thumbsup:

43 minutes ago, spudski said:

I agree with your sentiment mate...but I'm not so sure it's a game plan that's the problem.

I watch and can see what's being asked, but more often than not mistakes that lead to goals,, is down to individuals being lacklustre in their approach.

Often I have seen us trying to break through the lines with one touch passing, moving forward as one, then one misjudged or mistimed pass gets intercepted and we are out of shape defensively and on the back foot. It is then you notice the 'desire' in certain players...the willingness to track back, sprint back, cover etc.

We do well when not in possession and are disciplined in closing down players when the 'trigger' happens. Yesterday however...that was also lacklustre and often too late.

Our stats show that we have a very busy defence who are considered competent.

And it's easy to see that with the eyes and not just stats. We allow teams on to us... we try to pressure high and close down when out of possession and when doing it in a good shape we are fine. We look to make an interception and create pressure to force a bad pass to be intercepted.

However...when we lose possession when going forward, that's when it becomes our achilles heal. So many fail to track back with urgency or try to tackle or use body shape with force.

Many are guilty of it...Joe Bryan and Patto in particular. Full of energy going forward...but when chasing back, are happy to let others cover.

I guess, if we are to continue playing the same way, we will have to make upgrades.

For example...JB has many attributes going forward, and less defensively. Take Cunningham who we let go...you wouldn't see him being so defensively poor...but with him, you lose all the ability that Joe brings going forward. So it's swings and roundabouts. Take JB's offensive attributes with Cunninghams defensive quality...put them together and you have a Prem player. So that's the problem...and you can see this all across the team.

I think the 'plan to overcome it', as you put it, will be seen over the next few months. As to who leaves and who comes in.

Whether it will work or not...who knows.

Dont think you have answered Oles post there. Your blaming individuals when 30+ of them have been brought in by Lee Johnson .If they cant carry out LJs game plan he is at fault! Its the coaching here which is the issue.

47 minutes ago, RidgeRed said:

It's difficult to set aside our 2018 form but I will & look at yesterday's game in isolation. LJ got the starting X1 wrong. They all looked frightened of Clarke & Sharp not just Kelly. At h/t I thought this could be 5 or 6 nil. LJ changes it, fair play & we get one back. Not for the first time, Flint. He gees up the crowd, great free kick from Joe playing in his best role, attacking mid. Got the crowd back on side & I really felt we'd draw or even win. End the season with a bit of a flourish. I understand that LJ wanted to give Semenyo or Bakinson some minutes but to achieve it he chucked his h/t changes out of the window. Worst of all Bobby, one of the Champ players of the season, probably playing his last game for us, marginalised & shoved out wide. You're better off leaving, Bob, & good luck to you.

LJ's stock is not exactly high at the mo. He needed a performance. I cannot imagine any other manager in that position doing what he did. To me it showed complete disdain for the fans. The actions of a man who feels he's fireproof. His toys & he can break them if it suits him. Shame on him.

LJ just can't win sometimes, imagine the reaction if he had not blooded any youngsters in what was an end of the season meaningless game.

Secondly, many people have conveniently forgotten that was only our second defeat at home in nearly four months. The form on the road has collapsed but at Ashton Gate we have been decent.

The season has to be taken as a whole, we have improved our league position and reached a national semi final. All watched by our biggest gates for 38 years. If managers are sacked based on sections of the season, Fulham would have sacked their boss in November!

final point, Johnson has to work within financial constraints. I am sure he would have loved Lewis Grabban and the likes but the money is not there for him. Therefore he is left hoping promising wingers from Liverpool might come off in the same way a promising striker from Chelsea did come off the season before.

46 minutes ago, spudski said:

Funnily enough I think you and I have been far closer in our view of the football this season than last season, and from my side that was largely in part due to the higher standard we exhibited in the first half of the season - I was actually seeing some of the things you were promising were "the plan".

I also agree that there is a correlation between mistakes and results, and then those results and form. And we make far too many basic mistakes. But after that, I think is where we go our separate ways ;). I'm more and more convinced now that Bobby Reid has carried a lot of our "good football".

When you say we are fine going forward, I'm a million miles away from that view. For the past 4 months all I see is punt it forward. One thing I loved in the first half of the season was how valuable we treated the ball. We felt dominant not because we were dominant but because opponents weren't.

You can't be dominant without the ball. And opponents didn't get the ball and so didn't have wave upon wave of attack. It was a comfortable feeling. But all I've seen for months now is opponents - not us - going at us time and time again because we keep giving them the ball (then stand miles off them).

You will no doubt say this is players not executing instructions. But what are the instructions? After 4 months we could have come up with better ones to use and protect the football rather than launching it at them, into areas that only Bobby Reid, through his own quality, is equipped to retain the ball.

Similarly am I supposed to think the players have alternative instructions to the 5-10 yards of space they now routinely give opponents between the lines and/or out on the flanks in crossing positions? Because if LJ really has equipped them with a better plan then the players should all be sacked.

We found a pattern of play in the first half of the season that leveraged the close control, energy and instincts of Bobby Reid. I hoped we had hit upon the LJ masterplan but the evidence of the last four months is it was a fluke. Mistakes or not, we have players out of position executing a feeble plan.

3 minutes ago, Olé said:

Funnily enough I think you and I have been far closer in our view of the football this season than last season, and from my side that was largely in part due to the higher standard we exhibited in the first half of the season - I was actually seeing some of the things you were promising were "the plan".

I also agree that there is a correlation between mistakes and results, and then those results and form. And we make far too many basic mistakes. But after that, I think is where we go our separate ways ;). I'm more and more convinced now that Bobby Reid has carried a lot of our "good football".

When you say we are fine going forward, I'm a million miles away from that view. For the past 4 months all I see is punt it forward. One thing I loved in the first half of the season was how valuable we treated the ball. We felt dominant not because we were dominant but because opponents weren't.

You can't be dominant without the ball. And opponents didn't get the ball and so didn't have wave upon wave of attack. It was a comfortable feeling. But all I've seen for months now is opponents - not us - going at us time and time again because we keep giving them the ball (then stand miles off them).

You will no doubt say this is players not executing instructions. But what are the instructions? After 4 months we could have come up with better ones to use and protect the football rather than launching it at them, into areas that only Bobby Reid, through his own quality, is equipped to retain the ball.

Similarly am I supposed to think the players have alternative instructions to the 5-10 yards of space they now routinely give opponents between the lines and/or out on the flanks in crossing positions? Because if LJ really has equipped them with a better plan then the players should all be sacked.

We found a pattern of play in the first half of the season that leveraged the close control, energy and instincts of Bobby Reid. I hoped we had hit upon the LJ masterplan but the evidence of the last four months is it was a fluke. Mistakes or not, we have players out of position executing a feeble plan.

You are right about Bobby...but imo, it was the loss of quality players around him, that made the difference.

We missed Odowda massively...he really got us going in that final 3rd.

Patto also was brilliant with Bobby, but never the same after that illness.

We missed Famara's presence also.

All those contributed to our decline in form imo...

I said before Christmas that we would finish 8th or 9th so I am not far out.

A reality check is needed (& before the Johnson out brigade start to criticise) this is an extremely tough league to navigate.

Yes I am disappointed in the way we've fallen away since the turn of the year but I have also witnessed some terrific performances and some of the best football I've seen as a City fan in over 40 years.

He is by no means the finished article and the troughs when we hit them he finds difficult to overcome which is a fact not lost on SL.

I can see a slight change in player recruitment and a midfield hard man a priority.

It is no coincidence that both full back positions have been our Achilles heel all season which also needs sorting.

If we make 10th next season that will be an achievement given the key departures that will happen over the summer and despite what the club says apart from Kelly I don't see any others ready to step up.

51 minutes ago, spudski said:

While I agree with a lot of what you say, game plan or personnel choice does come into it. Yesterday , individual errors from Kelly and others led to goals, but the team were badly set up. Kelly has played well at FB in the games he's got this year, a short run in a 3 too. But to throw him in against a rugged CF with a LB who is attack minded and positionally questionable is asking for trouble. 2 goals yesterday came from a long cross into acres of space, and the first from backing off , great strike but just asked him to hit it. 
Some of those individual errors come from LJ's team choice, yesterday a winger in front of a stand in FB , and the gaps left at LB (which were inevitable) were always going to make it difficult for a young CB in a new partnership . 
Without doubt injuries and illness has impacted on our season massively , and we will probably never know for sure how bad some were and who was brought back too quickly, Pato could be a case in point
Bobby lost the ball a fair bit yesterday, kept coming deep to try and find the ball, that's probably as we've been impotent up front for months. The one/main shining light from this season was moved all over the pitch yesterday because one poor initial choices and then LJ trying to put them right, as you pointed out errors but possibly partially caused by the team selection and game plan.

Archived