IGNORED

Important lessons learned today

Dullmoan Tone

Kelly is not anywhere near a Championship Centre Back yet. My Sheffield Utd friend said they felt sorry for someone so out of their depth.

Joe Bryan really cares - his scream of frustration when Kelly failed to pass in the second half at least shows his passion for the club.

None of our central midfield is anything like as attack minded as Fleck - we close down, but it's possession without purpose.

Fieldings kicking is the same standard whether under pressure or not.

Brownhill is not a Championship level right back.

Fam's touch has improved significantly.

You should not ever let your (and the division's) leading scorer have to fall back to picking up the ball in front of the defence. Nor play him in 3 positions during a single game.

Patterson needs a long summer to get back in the groove or move on.

Without set pieces we are fairly blunt.

Eliasson is not going to kick on quickly - he needs a season of football away from the Championship.

For all Korey's constant chasing and interceptions - he is often the most advanced of the midfield, with no end product (excluding one brilliant cup moment).

Flint cannot marshall a central defensive pairing - he needs experience alongside him.

Bryan should have taken more free kicks this season.

Anything else?

17 minutes ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

Kelly is not anywhere near a Championship Centre Back yet. My Sheffield Utd friend said they felt sorry for someone so out of their depth.

Joe Bryan really cares - his scream of frustration when Kelly failed to pass in the second half at least shows his passion for the club.

None of our central midfield is anything like as attack minded as Fleck - we close down, but it's possession without purpose.

You should not ever let your (and the division's) leading scorer have to fall back to picking up the ball in front of the defence. Nor play him in 3 positions during a single game.

Eliasson is not going to kick on quickly - he needs a season of football away from the Championship.

For all Korey's constant chasing and interceptions - he is often the most advanced of the midfield, with no end product (excluding one brilliant cup moment).

Flint cannot marshall a central defensive pairing - he needs experience alongside him.

Anything else?

Really liked Joes interview after the game on the pitch today. Didn't mince his words

Said the first half was rubbish. And that the second half of the season has not been good enough. Didn't try to dress it up with "progress"etc...just seemed genuinely disappointed with how it all ended 

All obvious I know. I just get fed up with the same PR Crap coming from players mouths each week

I'm certain he already has a new club lined up. Best of luck to him . He's going to have to work extremely hard if he wants to carve out a career in the top flight.

How about learning that Magnússon has a future as a centre back. I thought the game he was injured in he was having his best performance for us, and today he carried on where he left off. Looked strong and determined, played a wonderful 50 yard pass and kept Leon Clarke quiet - just the sort of things he was being criticised for not doing earlier.

1 hour ago, Fatalist said:

How about learning that Magnússon has a future as a centre back. I thought the game he was injured in he was having his best performance for us, and today he carried on where he left off. Looked strong and determined, played a wonderful 50 yard pass and kept Leon Clarke quiet - just the sort of things he was being criticised for not doing earlier.

Agreed.  I thought he looked the best player on the field in the second half.

Scrap 4-4-2 in lots of cases.

Particularly away from home, or in the case of home games vs sides who outman you in the middle- particularly when the weather like today.

Stop playing Paterson wide in this setup too- behind the striker (I pray Reid will stay) or not at all in most cases IMO. if it's a 4-3-3 wide coming inside then maybe that's different but not in this set up!

Kelly as a centre back? Not yet- maybe in time but not yet.

2 hours ago, Fatalist said:

In fairness Sheff U coasted second half.

6 hours ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Spending the money we did on eliason to send him on loan would be a complete waste of money

Apart from your remark sounding obviously sarcastic just think about it for a moment; How many times have we sent players on loan because they were not ready. Did the club always know that was going to be the case before signing them? We all know that this part of the clubs recruitment will be under extreme scrutiny in the summer. I get the feeling the scouts and recruiters knew the overall standard of the players they were recommending and then signing because otherwise the employer made huge bungles employing the very same back room people in the first place.

Assuming that then we all of us need to understand if these people have taken the 5 pillars rather too literally and I think the conversation or instruction in the summer will be; be nuanced with our strategy rather than taking it to the letter. In other words someone is ticking boxes far too much and losing sight of the actual strategy.

As another poster said on another thread; maybe it is time for a Director of Football type that sits between LJ and MA because there is clearly a disconnect between these two departments. That DofF needs to be a complimentary non-conformist; sounds like an oxymoron I know but therein lies the challenge. I am not saying Mick McCarthy is the person but someone perhaps like him who questions and moans a bit but then buys in or persuades others. That type of person might be a very good fit especially if he distances himself from the undoubted enjoyment LJ and MA have in giving us all a load of rather meaningless spin. The subtlety of his opinions should be strong enough that we hear them but not loud that we want him to replace the head coach; we have to buy in to the fact he is only useful if he forms part of a machine that starts to work much better where each component needs the other.

9 hours ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

Anything else?

Pretty good round up..

Kelly & Elliason need season long loans big time..Kelly will be having nightmares about Leon Clarke for a while,was almost cruel..lad was a rabbit in the headlights & not for the first time....sadly yet another one 'for the future.

Elliason...mmm,is he ever going to be good enough at this level,full stop.??..I have serious misgivings!

We need a ball playing leader in centre mid..big time...wherever he is push the boat out & get him on board.

Commanding Championship keeper required!

Johnson needs to stop pissing around or he will be out on his ear by x-mas and decide whome are his best footballers & play them in their BEST positions!!!..p.s-admitting you can't motivate your own players is not a good move..

Joe Bryan's best position is not left back!...

The need to check out whats going on with Patterson,doesn't even look fit...get it sorted and don't play him until he's right....

Much work/assessment to be done with Eros on his fitness over the summer as clearly not over the injury/s yet.......

A 100% fit Taylor needs more game time and the chance to show,causes plenty of trouble with clever runs/aggression and on a need to know basis we need to know!!!

Give Magners a run in the side,could be a great player for us-dont **** it up Johnson!

O'Dowda-as above...

STOP hoofing the long ball to FAM or Djuric,more often than not it just puts us under pressure..

Whom ever is in charge of player recruitment needs a swift kick up the arse,the January debacle just CANT happen again...if necessary ruffle a few feathers but get it sorted.

Important issue learned, one stands out for me that is - LJ never learns!

1. Several times during this cr@p run he has made subs that involved dropping Reid back to midfield, every time it has made us less likely to score, yesterday he did the same again.

2. Patterson has been mainly woeful since mid-Jan but continues to be picked virtually every game, yesterday again.

I'm sure others could add more ...

12 hours ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

After half a dozen decent games at fullback, to throw him in at CB against a tough uncompromising side like SheffU was ridiculous .Add the fact we had a more experienced choice on the bench makes it worse. I felt sorry for him.

I said for a while we should have a MF3

Never going to change , shocking !

Probably our most creative CMF , played out of position at right wing/MF , even more so at FB.

Agree, and he still manages to look clumsy :laughcont: but that one touch to kill the ball dead was brilliant.

And there you have the LJ of last year, the Tinkermen

Never recovered properly from his illness

With set pieces we are fairly blunt.

I hate playing left footed players on the right, even ODowda on the only time he went for the touchline crossed poorly. Should have played Eliasson on his natural side and let him build confidence.

Good point, though I'm not sure if we have a leader among the CB's we have.

A lesson to be learnt from the season as a whole. Including cup games, there were 14 occasions when City scored three goals or more. However such results as 3-3, 5-5, 3-2 and so forth suggests that the attack is usually OK. However only 15 clean sheets all season in league & cup games should prove that defence is City's weakness and where money needs to be spent this Summer.

Make changes when everyone can see the set up is not working, but do not tamper with the team when things are clicking into place.

We'd be in the play-offs if we had the points Johnson's substitute policy robbed us of.

Archived