IGNORED

I-N-S-E-C-U-R-I-T-Y: the magic word

Olé

One thing hopefully everyone can agree on - because LJ himself has always readily admitted it - is that he is a young coach who is continually learning on the job.

There is no shame in that at all. Plenty of fantastic coaches grow like that, BUT the good ones are always self-confident and never burdened by their inexperience.

I won't comment on LJ's coaching - that debate will run for much longer - but I have seen enough to be clear that he is shaping a team around his own insecurities.

I've mentioned this before, but in business you'll often see young managers who down-skill their teams with people who are easy to manage and less threatening. 

It's the classic reaction of the inexperienced leader and the word that explains it is insecurity. It is crippling as it robs teams of quality and individual responsibility.

You end up with a clone army of passive, young, inexperienced "staff" for the job at hand, who are emotionally immature - precisely what LJ publicly said they are.

Last week LJ admitted there were no leaders on the pitch - we can all see that. It's because he's recruited no leaders. They are tough to manage, They talk back.

Flint is the only player who will shout and scream, and no surprise he was the first one LJ wanted to ship out last year - he's long since had to row back on that!

Why are there no players who can individually dig in and avert a downturn in form? Because he's recruited passive young things who await their next instructions.

Bottom line LJ is a young coach and that is okay. What is not okay is for his insecurity about his inexperience to translate into recruiting inexperience around him.

There is no reason for LJ to be insecure, under SL he has one of the most secure jobs in the game, but episodes like Tomlin have terrified him out of "experience".

He's learning the Championship himself and doesn't want people around him who know more than he does and will see through his judgement from time to time.

As a result - under the guise of promoting youth and recruiting "ones for the future" - we end up with a group of callow young things that hang on his every word.

Their end product will be as inexperienced as he is, and lacking the individual personality or drive, or prior Championship experience, to enhance LJ's instructions.

This collective down-skilling happens under "middle managers" in firms up and down the land. It's no shame on LJ, but we're going nowhere until he grows a pair.

When LJ was asked what he'd ask Mourinho over his expensive bottle of wine, he himself was very clear - go back and check - "how to manage big personalities."

We know Mourinho didn't have the wine and LJ didn't get his answer. But it was the clearest signal that you'll get about LJ's self-aware insecurity in his approach. 

Unfortunately it's translated into the squad of unproven players and long runs of bad form we see in front of us. There are no leaders because LJ is not a leader.

7 minutes ago, Olé said:

One thing hopefully everyone can agree on - because LJ himself has always readily admitted it - is that he is a young coach who is continually learning on the job.

There is no shame in that at all. Plenty of fantastic coaches grow like that, BUT the good ones are always self-confident and never burdened by their inexperience.

I won't comment on LJ's coaching - that debate will run for much longer - but I have seen enough to be clear that he is shaping a team around his own insecurities.

I've mentioned this before, but in business you'll often see young managers who down-skill their teams with people who are easy to manage and less threatening. 

It's the classic reaction of the inexperienced leader and the word that explains it is insecurity. It is crippling as it robs teams of quality and individual responsibility.

You end up with a clone army of passive, young, inexperienced "staff" for the job at hand, who are emotionally immature - precisely what LJ publicly said they are.

Last week LJ admitted there were no leaders on the pitch - we can all see that. It's because he's recruited no leaders. They are tough to manage, They talk back.

Flint is the only player who will shout and scream, and no surprise he was the first one LJ wanted to ship out last year - he's long since had to row back on that!

Why are there no players who can individually dig in and avert a downturn in form? Because he's recruited passive young things who await their next instructions.

Bottom line LJ is a young coach and that is okay. What is not okay is for his insecurity about his inexperience to translate into recruiting inexperience around him.

There is no reason for LJ to be insecure, under SL he has one of the most secure jobs in the game, but episodes like Tomlin have terrified him out of "experience".

He's learning the Championship himself and doesn't want people around him who know more than he does and will see through his judgement from time to time.

As a result - under the guise of promoting youth and recruiting "ones for the future" - we end up with a group of callow young things that hang on his every word.

Their end product will be as inexperienced as he is, and lacking the individual personality or drive, or prior Championship experience, to enhance LJ's instructions.

This collective down-skilling happens under "middle managers" in firms up and down the land. It's no shame on LJ, but we're going nowhere until he grows a pair.

When LJ was asked what he'd ask Mourinho over his expensive bottle of wine, he himself was very clear - go back and check - "how to manage big personalities."

We know Mourinho didn't have the wine and LJ didn't get his answer. But it was the clearest signal that you'll get about LJ's self-aware insecurity in his approach. 

Unfortunately it's translated into the squad of unproven players and long runs of bad form we see in front of us. There are no leaders because LJ is not a leader.

Another excellent, insight post Rob. And it emphasises Steve McLaren's comments on Sky following the draw at Pride Park in January; Bristol City are a NICE team. 

We were discussing this very point after the game.

LJ has two courses of action for me, bite the bullet and sign “leaders” (like he is now saying that he will). 

The result will make or break him.

Carry on as now, signing players largely (Baker aside) from lower leagues or abroad, who won’t know or challenge him.

This strategy will only work if we massively improve our recruitment success rate.

45 minutes ago, Olé said:

You could say the same thing about Steve Lansdown.

He doesn't appear to want to let anyone else play with his train set .

I'm surprised that he doesn't accept criticism and those that oppose his ideas find themselves somewhere else . 

OK , his choice but to grow a business it takes all kinds of people.

32 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

Another excellent, insight post Rob. And it emphasises Steve McLaren's comments on Sky following the draw at Pride Park in January; Bristol City are a NICE team. 

So, here's the tricky bit. The 'leaders' that have been missing from our team for more years than I can remember (have we ever had any?) are:

• Experienced - they have generally played at a higher level
  • Older - they need (mostly) to have demonstrated their ability over time
  • Expensive - they're as rare as hen's teeth
  • Have better options than playing for us!
  • Probably won't have a higher resale value in 2/3 years

All of the above goes against nearly everything in the 5 pillars idea.

I completely agree that LJ will not relish the idea of signing a player he feels will challenge him on and off the pitch but the club is also actively avoiding such a signing.

The last player I can remember who came with a leader reputation was Paul Hartley and all he did was bugger up morale. Tomlin was never a leader - just a skilful but lazy egotist.

Many years ago, the player I would have (realisticallly) signed for this role was Graham Kavanagh. Wherever he played, he made that team difficult to beat.

27 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

You could say the same thing about Steve Lansdown.

He doesn't appear to want to let anyone else play with his train set .

I'm surprised that he doesn't accept criticism and those that oppose his ideas find themselves somewhere else . 

OK , his choice but to grow a business it takes all kinds of people.

A detestable sales manager of mine when I was working, said to me "We don't have to like each other, just work together and for the same end result." 

LJ is like father, like son. Both have a problem managing those who will have an opinion and not be slow in voicing it. 

31 minutes ago, Xiled said:

I completely agree that LJ will not relish the idea of signing a player he feels will challenge him on and off the pitch but the club is also actively avoiding such a signing.

The last player I can remember who came with a leader reputation was Paul Hartley and all he did was bugger up morale. Tomlin was never a leader - just a skilful but lazy egotist.

Many years ago, the player I would have (realisticallly) signed for this role was Graham Kavanagh. Wherever he played, he made that team difficult to beat.

Wade Elliott? and I think O'Neil was signed with this idea in mind

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

We were discussing this very point after the game.

LJ has two courses of action for me, bite the bullet and sign “leaders” (like he is now saying that he will). 

The result will make or break him.

Carry on as now, signing players largely (Baker aside) from lower leagues or abroad, who won’t know or challenge him.

This strategy will only work if we massively improve our recruitment success rate.

He did sign GoN. An experienced Championship player with several promotions on his CV. Unfortunately GoN gets crocked and is out pretty much all season.

Its easy to say that LJ should have signed a similar type player in the winter window but these types aren't usually available in January.

9 minutes ago, Robbored said:

He did sign GoN. An experienced Championship player with several promotions on his CV. Unfortunately GoN gets crocked and is out pretty much all season.

Its easy to say that LJ should have signed a similar type player in the winter window but these types aren't usually available in January.

And they couldn’t get on.

When he was fit & available (last 2 months) he didn’t use him.

Why was that, I wonder?

Very good insightful post OP. The fact that we have just seen LJs previous two clubs - Barnsley & Oldham, relegated, doesn't bode well that he actually builds anything for the future well either. 

Our only hope is that the cup run publicity has left WBA or another club blinded to his failings, 'cos SL hasn't got the mettle to get rid before next season's impending disaster unfolds that's for sure. 

46 minutes ago, Xiled said:

So, here's the tricky bit. The 'leaders' that have been missing from our team for more years than I can remember (have we ever had any?) are:

• Experienced - they have generally played at a higher level
  • Older - they need (mostly) to have demonstrated their ability over time
  • Expensive - they're as rare as hen's teeth
  • Have better options than playing for us!
  • Probably won't have a higher resale value in 2/3 years

All of the above goes against nearly everything in the 5 pillars idea.

Surely Gary O'Neil could have/perhaps should have been ideal for this- fitness notwithstanding of course.

Experienced- Absolutely! Played for a variety of Championship clubs, few promotions under his belt- has (maybe had) the pedigree and experience.

Older- Over 30 and his quality stated above.

Expensive- He was on a free IIRC.His wages probably wouldn't have been that cheap however.

Better options? Hard to say, did we have much competition for him?

Resale value? Definitely not at his age!

Shame how it went with him tbh, he could have been that leader, that experienced head to help guide the relatively young squad- and yeah to challenge LJ when necessary.

5 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

Very good insightful post OP. The fact that we have just seen LJs previous two clubs - Barnsley & Oldham, relegated, doesn't bode well that he actually builds anything for the future well either. 

Our only hope is that the cup run publicity has left WBA or another club blinded to his failings, 'cos SL hasn't got the mettle to get rid before next season's impending disaster unfolds that's for sure. 

I can't comment on Oldham, but tbh he did build something decent at Barnsley- they got promotion and won JPT after he left. Then in January of last season? 7th or 8th.

However, they sold 4 players in Jan, similar number before this season- mostly his signings  incidentally, and over next year and few months they recruited badly.

The manager went to Leeds, they were already slipping, hit a downward spiral which eventually led to relegation- can't really blame him for that.

37 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

And they couldn’t get on.

When he was fit & available (last 2 months) he didn’t use him.

Why was that, I wonder?

Probably not 100% fit I think. GoN obviously didn't show enough in training.

2 hours ago, Olé said:

Yep in one

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Probably not 100% fit I think. GoN obviously didn't show enough in training.

This old chestnut again, LJ know best because he sees them in training and fans don't... then Paterson must be "sh1t hot" in training to keep being picked for matches where since mid-Jan you can use the same description without the "hot" for his match performances.

2 hours ago, Olé said:

With managers you tend to get a team in the image of them as a player and we have a weak/compliant team and because his dad was his manager for many years you can bet your arse he never answered back, again I have to say spot on.

6 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

This old chestnut again, LJ know best because he sees them in training and fans don't... then Paterson must be "sh1t hot" in training to keep being picked for matches where since mid-Jan you can use the same description without the "hot" for his match performances.

Doesn't help when we keep playing Paterson in a position- for months now- to which he is ill-suited.

Not saying it's the only reason, but it hardly is likely to help, is it?

38 minutes ago, spikeislandred said:

Interesting to see Pack actually rowing with LJ during the 2nd half yesterday - never seen that before. Are there any players in the squad who can grow into leaders that can stand up to the manager, apart from Flint? 

Olé right as usual.

Pack had a right attitude problem yesterday, pointing and ambling around moaning and groaning all game, I also noticed that him and Flint seem to have a problem with each other, also when he scored a couple of weeks ago hardly anybody congratulated him.

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Doesn't help when we keep playing Paterson in a position- for months now- to which he is ill-suited.

Not saying it's the only reason, but it hardly is likely to help, is it?

He is piss weak in any position across midfield, can't tackle to save his life a total liability defensively, he is not good enough at this level but sadly LJ sees himself within him.

Ole spot on as usual, his first sentence..

"One thing hopefully everyone can agree on - because LJ himself has always readily admitted it - is that he is a young coach who is continually learning on the job.

There is no shame in that at all. Plenty of fantastic coaches grow like that, BUT the good ones are always self-confident and never burdened by their inexperience."

Interesting that the first thing Steven Gerrard did was appoint Gary McAllister, a guy with experience of coaching, No2, and management. LJ pushed to get rid of the (more) experienced Pembo and brought in Jamie Mac (no experience) and Dean Holden (some experience with Oldham).

LJ tells us he's a young coach who is "constantly learning"...................not sure he is learning, is he?

His time has been characterised by lengthy unsuccessfull spells that he has seemed unable to recify quickly, baffling team selections with players out of position - only to be changed at HT , baffling substitutions at times, unable to get his teams to hold a lead or close out games, a conveyor belt  of signings with no championship experience, and now he admits he has no leaders which is no surprise because he only signed one in the whole of his much stated" three windows".  During the last few games of the run in he's continued to makes these mistakes, some as recently as Saturday.

I don't think he is "constantly learning"

2 hours ago, Olé said:

Great points and, while I support LJ for now, this is the single biggest test of his credentials for me. 

I remember back in February time saying how O’Neil was going to be crucial to us in the run in. His knowhow and experience would surely have helped us in games like Sunderland, Leeds, Hull and others. Where the hell has he been? Was he left out because of the reasons @Olé suggests? If so, that’s an epic failure of management and something LJ simply HAS to sort out if we’re ever going to truly progress. His future here may end up depending on it. 

19 minutes ago, paulcityfan said:

This is a team game.  The legendary teams all have 11 leaders on the pitch fired up by 1 leader on the sideline.  Johnson is not a man manager able to fire this up, never has been, never will.

Good point

On Saturday during as woeful a first half that you'll ever see LJ stood in the technical area, hands in pocket, with no sign of any emotion except for the odd token moan at the 4th Official.  When Hull played - for example - Adkins was continually shouting instructions, gesturing the movement he wanted, etc, and generally looked in control of events rather than simply watching it all unfold

34 minutes ago, paulcityfan said:

This is a team game.  The legendary teams all have 11 leaders on the pitch fired up by 1 leader on the sideline.  Johnson is not a man manager able to fire this up, never has been, never will.

Cotts' team - Champions with a fantastic squad spirit, all created in double quick time by a Leader and a Winner.

Not sure SL likes genuine leaders to manage Bristol City, hence we get LJ and the 'head coach' title.

1 hour ago, old_eastender said:

Ridiculous to say that Oldham got relegated for anything linked to Johnson. Guess you have an agenda to mention it. Look at that club deeper would be my suggestion 

Another thing that points to Johnson’s insecurities is how often he takes credit in post match interviews. 5 or 6 times he has taken credit for something his players have done. The latest being Bryan’s freekick. 

Other managers would be able to say similar things if they wanted to but I never hear it.  It points to insecurites to me.

Are leaders signed or are they developed and coached - no player starts as a leader, he has to create the environment and feel he can be a leader (listened to and respected).

Take this nonsense over Flint for example, he doesn't want to be a Captain (ahh didems). Why? Because he doesn't want to toss a coin? Or do PR stuff in schools? Or act as the go-between with the Managers and the players? Successive Managers should have taken him aside and coached him to step up and take the reigns - it's ridiculous we accept our own players not becoming leaders, then whine about needing new ones - who have less respect as outsiders - see Gary O'Neil.

Why, for example, could JB not have been captain some times - he is passionate, talented and has a history with the club.

I'm glad @Olé spotted the Mourinho quote as I had missed this - however it just highlights how LJ cannot comprehend how to empower his own team.

I thought LJ had done all his days out with ER teams and the Marines to try and understand how other sectors build leadership - seems this is just more PR puff like the stupid grass measurement device!

We've all met people who interview well, it's a shame Steve L has invested so much literally and emotionally that he has to swallow it, otherwise he is in danger of looking like a poor leader as well.

It’s interesting that LJ mentioned yesterday about having 3 leaders who he decided to save for next season (for various reasons) Pisano, Djuric and Bailey Wright. We can all argue the merits (or not) of each of those.

Personally I think he  may have decided to give 1 or 2 their curtain bow yesterday and should not have been surprised that in the first half we performed like headless chickens. The problem is that the ‘characters’ on the pitch were mostly players from the previous regime, ie Fielding, Flint, Pack, Smith, Bryan and Reid.

For me therein lies the problem. The core of the team that has served us well maybe never bought in to the Johnson philosophy. Now maybe that can be blamed on the coach not sourcing adequate replacements (or not gaining their respect) or maybe those players are in the main too deep in their own comfort zone to adapt.

If it is true then it is time for the coach to rid himself of the insecure tag by making wholesale changes now. In a nutshell, to grow a pair. Of course it’s a gamble but that is what managers do. If LJ was to leave now it would be hard to say that he left behind ‘his team’.

At least 3/4 of that core look likely to go anyway so maybe at last there is a changing of the guard. If we then do well next season we can all be happy. Some can applaud the coach for making changes and others can say he was forced in to change by circumstance (luck). 

Of course the chances are that such changes will mean that next season is more of a transition (already I hear the excuse) so we might struggle to match this season.

I guess it will come down to our ‘expectation levels’. Personally the big improvement I hope for is for us to achieve a level of consistency over a whole season. Until we get that then the Championship is the summit of what we can achieve and anything else is a pipe dream.

I, like many, want to see some serious business done over the next few weeks and I think only 2/3 new leaders will show serious intent on the clubs behalf.

I suspect someone’s head will roll for our 2nd half of season performance and my money is on Mark Ashton (unless LJ gets poached) as he failed to deliver upon his fine words. Either way I have a ‘gut feeling’ that there will be imminent backroom changes, or maybe it’s just wishful thinking.

Archived