IGNORED

What is the minimum fee we would accept for Bobby

barneyrubble

Can't possibly see us not receiving significant bids for Bobby who has one year left on contract. Would like to think the club would offer him substantial  deal which he would then sign but no guarantee either way.

If no new contract what would be minimum fee we'd accept in the summer?

Bearing in mind only one year on contract I reckon we'd take 6 million. 

9 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Difficult to say.. only 25, English, good all round game (not just a goalscorer), lots of teams potentially interested.. I’d like to think we could get over 10m in total really.

Can’t see us getting 10m for him with only a year on his contract. 

I don’t think a premier league club will feel that they must sign Reid at all costs to stay up/progress, I feel they’ll be happy to wait until Jan/next summer and get him at a fraction of the cost if we demand that for him.

Original poster got it about right, around 6m imo

If we are serious about progressing, don’t we need to keep Reid, Bryan, and Flint and strengthen the weaknesses elsewhere, such as GK, RB and Attacking mid field? 

I know we are not a glamour club and it’s hard to complete, but if teams like Stoke, Huddersfield, Bournemouth, Cardiff, Reading, and Burnley can compete, why can’t we? Of all the teams listed above we are one of the biggest with regards to facilities and current attendances. 

It’s almost irrelevant what we get for him if we do sell, as LJ will probably spend whatever he gets on a useless 3rd tier French player with a sweat band on his wrist.

On a serious note, my bigger concern with us losing players is that our scouting network and management have proven they do not have the ability to replace them.

The decision is shit or bust for SL MA and LJ sell high (min 10m Bobby and JB, flint min 6m, others?) or actually clear out the basement, reduce to 20-22 "squaddies" and go for automatic promo. If contracts expire or don't get renewed its their fault entirely for mismanagement, recruitment and bad business. 

I feel that the one thing that will prevent clubs making a really big bid is the fact that he’s only had one good season as a goal scorer. Obviously most of his career has been in midfield but, as an attacking midfield player. he didn’t score many goals. The worry for some potential bidders will be whether or not the last season is typical of his form as a forward, or was it a flash in the pan. It sometimes happens - a player has a really good season then in subsequent seasons it’s not quite the same. Throw in the fact that he’s only got one year left on his contract, and he hasn’t given any indication that he wants to extend his contract, then it could be £8m plus a few extras (sell on clause / games played etc)

39 minutes ago, Rule The Waves said:

It’s almost irrelevant what we get for him if we do sell, as LJ will probably spend whatever he gets on a useless 3rd tier French player with a sweat band on his wrist.

On a serious note, my bigger concern with us losing players is that our scouting network and management have proven they do not have the ability to replace them.

In the last 5 years, we’ve had Baldock, Kodjia, Tammy, Fammy & Reid. I’m not sure how you think it would be impossible for us to find a replacement again..?! 

1 hour ago, Rule The Waves said:

But who was it that thought he had the abilities to be a striker in the first place?

Keep Bobby to help push us on next season.  Work on making his partnership with Fammy the one to be feared next season.  Stop Bobby having to drop into midfield and keep him pressing tight against the opposition defenders.

Of course, if Bobby insists he wants to leave, pat him on the back and don't accept a penny less than £7.5million.

As a local lad and this year being his first full season at this level, I would like to think/hope that if Reid wanted to go he would also want the best for the club so a compromise could be found to suit everyone. City will offer Reid a new contract, if Reid wants to go they will try to agree a fair price for him (ie 10million to Prem club) in exchange for new 3yr deal so City are in better negotiating position. It might also be that Reid wants to stay and signs new contact but states that he wants to be informed of any ‘offers’ 

1 hour ago, Bar BS3 said:

In the last 5 years, we’ve had Baldock, Kodjia, Tammy, Fammy & Reid. I’m not sure how you think it would be impossible for us to find a replacement again..?! 

Which is precisely what the gas used to think when they made a million each year out of the likes of Devon white, Penrice, Ellington etc. They found out to their cost that just cos you’ve done it 5 years running doesn’t guarantee it a 6th time. I’m still convinced that was the start of their decline into non league.

That said, in Diedhiou I think we could have one of next seasons top scorers already. We’d just need the 10-15 goal man alongside him. 

Down in Bournemouth last week and was chatting to Bournemouth season ticket holder,he reckons the deal has more or less already been done,said it was £12 million plus,probably nonsense but who knows.

1 hour ago, italian dave said:

Which is precisely what the gas used to think when they made a million each year out of the likes of Devon white, Penrice, Ellington etc. They found out to their cost that just cos you’ve done it 5 years running doesn’t guarantee it a 6th time. I’m still convinced that was the start of their decline into non league.

That said, in Diedhiou I think we could have one of next seasons top scorers already. We’d just need the 10-15 goal man alongside him. 

Of course it’s no guarantee that we will unearth another, but the post I was replying to made it sound like we have no track record in finding/getting them, which is clearly nonsense. 

4 hours ago, Rule The Waves said:

You mean like Kodja and Fammy...

21 minutes ago, LondonBCFC said:

You mean like Kodja and Fammy...

I think at the moment (for some) you have to ignore everything that we do well and put all the focus on the likes of Diony. Only then can you justifiably behave like a spoilt, whinging brat and think that our entire club is a complete shambles. 

I’m surprised that nobody (I may have missed it!) has put across the suggestion that if none of our goals, scored by anyone with an “E” in their name counted, then we’d have been relegated, and that of course would have been all LJ’s fault and proven that SL is far more interested in the Rugby..! 

5 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

I think at the moment (for some) you have to ignore everything that we do well and put all the focus on the likes of Diony. Only then can you justifiably behave like a spoilt, whinging brat and think that our entire club is a complete shambles. 

I’m surprised that nobody (I may have missed it!) has put across the suggestion that if none of our goals, scored by anyone with an “E” in their name counted, then we’d have been relegated, and that of course would have been all LJ’s fault and proven that SL is far more interested in the Rugby..! 

Far better to take the high emotion out of it and ask the question... Why can't LJ get even close to the performance level of a few months ago with the  very same players?

Forget January signings. That unnecessarily complicates it.

Has he provided an adequate explanation of either why he hasn't or exactly what future changes will bring about improvement?

I've heard nothing other than broad and ambiguous statements and see no evidence for how or when a return to form might occur. All of yesterday's excuses about the number of games in short succession, injuries or even cup hangover no longer apply. 

That's where a manager adds value and without it he has no real value. 

2 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

Far better to take the high emotion out of it and ask the question... Why can't LJ get even close to the performance level of a few months ago with the  very same players?

Forget January signings. That unnecessarily complicates it.

Has he provided an adequate explanation of either why he hasn't or exactly what future changes will bring about improvement?

I've heard nothing other than broad and ambiguous statements and see no evidence for how or when a return to form might occur. All of yesterday's excuses about the number of games in short succession, injuries or even cup hangover no longer apply. 

That's where a manager adds value and without it he has no real value. 

I think it’s pretty clear that our players, on the whole, are not as good as the first half of the season suggested. Rather like a cup performance or cup run, everyone can raise their game on occasion, but aren’t capable of doing it throughout a whole season. Much like the players in most teams. The ones (few) that do, get promoted. 

Only Wolves & Cardiff have really maintained their levels throughout the season. Most others have had good & bad spells. Same as every other division, in every league, all over the world. 

Archived