‘homesick’

Are you for real

:laughcont:

‘certainly was’

How do you know that Robbo ?

Had already spent spells on loan at Coventry ,Barnsley and Frieburg 

More that he didn’t fit in than miss his Mum and Dad I think more likely

Didn't fit in Frieburg either, Bob. 

My evil twin may be right and Kent may prefer to be based in places where he can shoot back and see his old mates and family. In which case, his career is going to be severely hampered.

50 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

Yes, but the MA/LJ combo has had too many "that don't work out" and not enough that do, spunking away a lot (for us) of cash in the process.

The loan signings have been particularly ill researched it seems; Woodrow, Leko, Kent , Diony. 

Of the Perms, right now you can only say it's Baker, Mags & Fammy that might be worth what we paid for them. Of course the likes of Walsh, Eliasson, Engval, Moore might come good, but the signs are not positive.

Much better due diligence needed and a higher proportion of signings 'working out' if we are to push on.

Regarding Baker, Cotterial got him on loan for the season, so we did know what we were getting when LJ signed him.

1 hour ago, Coxy27 said:

Engvall is definitely what you'd get from Waitrose.

He's no better than what you get elsewhere, but he's dressed up nicely, and costs more.

I just hope we got a free coffee and a newspaper as part of the deal.

You have to bring your own cup to get a free coffee at Waitrose now. We haven’t got any cups have we??

8 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

‘homesick’

Are you for real?

‘certainly was’

How do you know that Robbo ?

Had already spent spells on loan at Coventry ,Barnsley and Frieburg 

More that he didn’t fit in than miss his Mum and Dad I think more likely

Homesick was my theory Bob, based on what LJ said about Kent not 'fitting in'. 

I figured that as a young lad, away from his home and family that being homesick was partly the reason. He was at Coventry and Barnsley but both are much closer to Liverpool than Bristol. 

As my evil twin says Kent didn't fit it at Freiburg either probably for the same reasons.

17 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

How much did we want promotion:

1. Badly. So badly, it aches.

2. Like a hole in the head.

3. If it happens: great! But if it doesn't: relax! It's gonna happen, happen, so chill! We know what we're doing.

'til you change your mind...

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

I figured that as a young lad, away from his home and family that being homesick was partly the reason. He was at Coventry and Barnsley but both are much closer to Liverpool than Bristol. 

As my evil twin says Kent didn't fit it at Freiburg either probably for the same reasons.

I won't believe it unless it appears on the official site :disapointed2se:

30 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

It’s so ridiculous that we’re still having this discussion 3 months later. The full interview made the situation abundantly clear and yet months later one line - taken out of context and deliberately misquoted to boot - is what people focus on. 

Damned if you do and damned if you don’t......if we’d have spent big money on top players and not got promoted all the resident experts would be talking about how we should have stuck with what served us so well up until January and we shouldn’t have rocked the boat :laugh: 

What the Post reported was that:

"MA went on to confirm that the club are set up for the long term and are not specifically targetting promotion this season." 

What do you think Aden Flint, 29 years old, thought of this? As he watched the comedy/calamity that was Diony and Kent?

This "long term" view might suit MA, LJ, the club, but it's not going to do a lot for our better and best players. If I was one, I'd be off to a club "specifically targetting" success as soon as bloody possible.

4 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

"MA went on to confirm that the club are set up for the long term and are not specifically targetting promotion this season." 

What do you think Aden Flint, 29 years old, thought of this? As he watched the comedy that was Diony and Kent?

This "long term" view might suit MA, LJ, the club, but it's not going to do a lot for our better and best players. If I was one, I'd be off to a club "specifically targetting" success as soon as bloody possible.

I expect the players get their news about the club from the club rather than a one line excerpt from the tail end of an article in the Post. 

If you listen to the interview in full rather than reading one line of text then it’s quite clear what point he was making - which was about the recruitment process and the ‘what if’ scenarios around a potential promotion. 

His words have been severely twisted on here mostly by people who seemingly didn’t even listen to the actual interview and read ‘Ashton said we don’t want to get promoted’ on Faceache. 

7 minutes ago, hodge said:

I won't believe it unless it appears on the official site :disapointed2se:

A theory is based on facts whereas transfer rumours are wild speculation based on unreliable sources. When a transfer is confirmed on the OS then I know it's actually happened.

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

A theory is based on facts whereas transfer rumours are wild speculation based on unreliable sources. When a transfer is confirmed on the OS then I know it's actually happened.

Okay I'll call my transfer rumours transfer theories in future :thumbsup:

2 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

I expect the players get their news about the club from the club rather than a one line excerpt from the tail end of an article in the Post. 

If you listen to the interview in full rather than reading one line of text then it’s quite clear what point he was making - which was about the recruitment process and the ‘what if’ scenarios around a potential promotion. 

Oh dear.

Players "know." The incomings in January would be enough for the top players to "understand" where we were "at." What was acceptable this season. What we were striving for. Ashton's poor choice of words only confirmed it, sadly.

The "recruitment process" and how that panned out for us post January might suit O'Dowda or other lesser/younger lights, but not the best/25 yrs plus players.

You might be content with it; the point is, our top playing assets might not be quite so sanguine.

Still, at least we have all that "recruitment" MA referred to ready to get out there and fill the gaps in our first X1. Come and join the club "not specifically targetting promotion" last season. 

8 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

What do you think Aden Flint, 29 years old, thought of this? As he watched the comedy that was Diony and Kent?

Well put mate. However much you go over the syntax the message that comes across, from the pompous suit that is MA, is clear. I can't see how this didn't have a significant effect on the players' morale, especially after killing themselves playing the high-pressing game that did us so well. More than a kick in the teeth and I imagine the better players, that might be in demand, might have said "sod this, I'm off if I get the chance".

It's obvious you cannot control the timing of promotion from this toughest of Leagues (which is the other thing you could read into the Ashton remark), so when you get the chance you have to go for it, especially as this is what SL supposedly wants.

Accountancy is different from football but I imagine that on the way to accruing 2 billion (?) you don't turn down a golden opportunity if there is a reasonable chance of landing it.

Let's all keep things nice a cosy with Lee.

2 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

“Club with highest league placing in a decade doesn’t want its manager gone” 

Shocker. 

However clear gauntlet laid with regards expectations for next season:

"We now have to learn from what we've done this year and go again next year and look to go a few steps further, get in the top six and vie for promotion at the end of the season."

So the expectation is a top six challenge. Let’s hope we shop in Waitrose and not Bargain Booze in the next window. 

This is the thing isn’t it. MA and SL have done LJ no favours with their words. The bar is now set however and SL needs to realise what he has said and back him even more. Tell him to bring any realistic targets no matter how little chance they think it won’t happen(Mitrovic as an example, don’t ask don’t get so ASK). If SL is the one saying no then it diverts the pressure a bit. I am not convinced LJ thinks his squad is ready to challenge for automatic promotion and saying top 6 is a cop out with it’s fine margins. 

42 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

What do you think Aden Flint, 29 years old, thought of this? As he watched the comedy/calamity that was Diony and Kent?

This all day long. Whilst our owner, LJ and MA are being all smart arse about our long term vision why the hell would the players in the here an now buy into that when their is little or no chance of them being here in the 4 / 5/ 6 years time when it comes to fruition not that i think it ever will. How do you motivate a player when you arent 'going for it' as a club?? In that sense after our shocking January i feel sorry for LJ as he would of had an unhappy bunch on his hands. This must of played a part in our collapse.

21 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

Oh dear.

Players "know." The incomings in January would be enough for the top players to "understand" where we were "at." What was acceptable this season. What we were striving for. Ashton's poor choice of words only confirmed it, sadly.

The "recruitment process" and how that panned out for us post January might suit O'Dowda or other lesser/younger lights, but not the best/25 yrs plus players.

You might be content with it; the point is, our top playing assets might not be quite so sanguine.

Still, at least we have all that "recruitment" MA referred to ready to get out there and fill the gaps in our first X1. Come and join the club "not specifically targetting promotion" last season. 

You really think players gauge the club’s ambition and thus drive their employment satisfaction based on throwaway comments made to a journalist on local radio? Get real. 

Ashton’s comments were a little naive but taken completely out of context by a minority of fans. Those comments have no bearing on our ability to retain or recruit. 

29 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I shouldn't be quoting Wikipedia but a number of definitions of theory make no mention of facts.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theory

"A theory is a contemplative and rational type of abstract or generalizing thinking, or the results of such thinking" and "Theories guide the enterprise of finding facts...."

And I'm not sure where there are any facts that support the idea that Kent was homesick.  A number of people were mystified that he actually came from Liverpool when they heard his first interview:
https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/ryan-kent-the-first-interview/

9 minutes ago, Bri Stool City said:

" we go again" a fav LJ saying for; I messed up, I`ll try again, said many times. Now his boss SL says the same phrase :hug:

What’s he meant to say....we give up and won’t bother giving it another go next year? :dunno: 

2 hours ago, Negan said:

This is old news now, this Lansdown statement was made after the game on Sunday. 

Can't see how this is old mate (2 days?) and implications for our Club determine our future and stretch off to the far distant horizon and beyond. Can SL achieve what he says he wants in my lifetime .......................................

14 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

You really think players gauge the club’s ambition and thus drive their employment satisfaction based on throwaway comments made to a journalist on local radio? Get real. 

Ashton’s comments were a little naive but taken completely out of context by a minority of fans. Those comments have no bearing on our ability to retain or recruit. 

Bit unfair on our players mate. Joe Bryan certainly for one. Must be a Guardian reader?

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

That won't work Hodge. Unreliable rumours are not facts so can't be described as "theories"

However if I state facts as part of my 'rumour' ie such and such player isn't featuring for their club, their contract is running down etc....

1 hour ago, Jack Dawe said:

If you want promotion, there's ways of going about it. How much did we want it, would you say? 

A more interesting question is ‘why would the club not want promotion’?  

It appears some people think that the club  (SL, MA, LJ and players) have somehow followed some pre-agreed plan from the top to not gain promotion this season, this plan has included specific under performance after Xmas, poor January signings, and obviously having a ludicrously long cup run!

IMO absolute nonsense that SL didn’t want promotion, there are only benefits to going up and the biggest one is the £100m in the bank, there is no way the club would have deliberately sabotaged the season, it makes no sense at all.

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Nothing to do with the fact Kent's style of play doesn't suit the way we play then? 

1 minute ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Nothing to do with the fact Kent's style of play doesn't suit the way we play then? 

No doubt Kent is a very talented lad. Quick feet and pacy and it's understandable why City got him in on loan but as we know his decision making was poor and he faded out of the frame. 

Nobodys fault if the lad couldn't settle and that clearly had a negative effect on him.

19 minutes ago, Robbored said:

No doubt Kent is a very talented lad. Quick feet and pacy and it's understandable why City got him in on loan but as we know his decision making was poor and he faded out of the frame. 

Nobodys fault if the lad couldn't settle and that clearly had a negative effect on him.

Was it nobody's fault Engvall,  Diony and Tomlin didn't settle either?

When is it going to become somebody's fault that expensive mistakes keep being made?

Because at the moment MA's much vaunted DNA smells like exactly what it sounds like: bullshit.  

10 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Was it nobody's fault Engvall,  Diony and Tomlin didn't settle either?

When is it going to become somebody's fault that expensive mistakes keep being made?

Because at the moment MA's much vaunted DNA smells like exactly what it sounds like: bullshit.  

Engvall - complete mystery with him. I'm not even sure he's still our player.     :dunno:

Diony - was he unable to settle? I never heard that but new country, different style of football......... not every foreign players adapts to British life so maybe.........

Tomlin was signed after his impressive loan from B'muff. City fans were crying out that we had to sign him and LJ duly did just that but he did at City what he'd done at other clubs - failed to perform consistently and was dropped, sold to Cardiff and now he's on loan again at Forest.

So who is at fault?  Nobody imv.

Archived