IGNORED

Clean Slate Thread

Davefevs

Right, the season is over.

We finished 11th, flirted with the big boys, but had no relegation threat, unless you count post-Birmingham away in GW2!!

As it currently stands we have a good group of players for the first team, but the back-up appears to be lacking in depth or not ready.  As it stands we’ve lost no-one and gained no-one.

So I’m wiping the slate clean(ish).  Gonna try to judge what takes place over the summer in respect of incomings, outgoings, contract extensions etc.

I agree with this. There were positives and negatives this season but we start in August with the same number of points as everyone else. Whatever my frustrations towards the end of this season, I’ll judge the tranfer business on its own merits, hope we strengthen the squad and try to at least give us a few games into next year before forming a view on the direction we are heading.

Let’s hope it is upwards. COYR! 

12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

We finished 11th, flirted with the big boys, but had no relegation threat, unless you count post-Birmingham away in GW2!!

As it currently stands we have a good group of players for the first team, but the back-up appears to be lacking in depth or not ready.  As it stands we’ve lost no-one and gained no-one.

So I’m wiping the slate clean(ish).  Gonna try to judge what takes place over the summer in respect of incomings, outgoings, contract extensions etc.

GW2?! This isn’t the USA!

39 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Worried massively about LJ’s ability of repeating mistakes, chopping and changing tactics, playing players out of position and poor recruitment . Also two years on the trot we’ve had terrible runs of form. 

One  question Dave. Do you honestly trust LJ  to reinvest possibly £20m+ from the sales of bobby / joe etc if they go , wisely ? 

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Can’t wait for the Round of 64 in January :D.  I hate this "round of 8" type bollox though, it’s quarter-finals.

“Match Day 4” or “Match Up” etc really winds me up! Used to love the Soccer AM pisstake when they did mock commentary of Boston United games with a US slant......remember them?!

4 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Worried massively about LJ’s ability of repeating mistakes, chopping and changing tactics, playing players out of position and poor recruitment . Also two years on the trot we’ve had terrible runs of form. 

One  question Dave. Do you honestly trust LJ  to reinvest possibly £20m+ from the sales of bobby / joe etc if they go , wisely ? 

On past form no.  Each signing is black or white / hit or miss.  Diedhiou hit.  Diony miss.  Different investments I know.  We never seem to get a middle of the road signing, who might not set the world on fire, but is okay.  Perhaps Bailey Wright, but that’s about it.

But I’m on a clean slate, so each incoming and outgoing will be judged accordingly.

2 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

“Match Day 4” or “Match Up” etc really winds me up! Used to love the Soccer AM pisstake when they did mock commentary of Boston United games with a US slant......remember them?!

Yes, plus there used to be a tweeter called Stateside Soccer, who used to come up with some beauts.

46 minutes ago, milo1111 said:

Absolutely no clean slate for me. We have had four months of poor form and if we are still looking crap after 10 games next season I will be calling for his head again.

10!!!

That generous he needs win 10 on the bounce to even make me think he deserves to be on the pitch with his hands in his pockets 

15 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

A great overpass through the secondary and slam dunked into the end zone.

3 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

In fairness it’s three terrible runs. He had one at Barnsley. 

My concern is that in the previous two runs he eventually turned around the form..... this year the bad run never ended, right up to and including the last game. 

Funny how some will continue the grudge/ill feeling of bad form into a new season months later yet do the complete opposite when considering the good.

IE the credit of the good half of the season lasted about 5 minutes yet the damage of a bad half will be dwelled on 6 months later  

How is that logical? 

I will judge next season based on the performance of that season. Last time I checked the table reset to 0 points each season. 

The only thing that matters next season is how we perform next season. 

4 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Funny how some will continue the grudge/ill feeling of bad form into a new season months later yet do the complete opposite when considering the good.

IE the credit of the good half of the season lasted about 5 minutes yet the damage of a bad half will be dwelled on 6 months later  

How is that logical? 

I will judge next season based on the performance of that season. Last time I checked the table reset to 0 points each season. 

Form from previous season matters in assessing both the players and the manager. It's the context against which you can assess recruitment and training /coaching over the summer. 

If a striker hasn't scored for several months you don't forget that in August. 

Well which ever way you want to look at it....it is a clean slate, we all start on the same points 0, unless you feel the need to cherry pick all that was poor last season and forget the high's, yes we did really beat Man U Palace and others along the way, and took Man City all the way, which unless you are deluded to the extent that doesn't matter, it does, and throw in some of the best football we have played for many a season, it bodes well for the future. 

But what we have here is a few regulars, well probably just 2% of the total membership full time moaners who seem to delight in the negative's and now are tipping relegation next season!! Whilst some pundits are backing us for promotion, added to the constant calls for the manager's head it is becoming clear there is a small faction that are doing there best to derail the good intent and huge investment SL has made to the club. In fact we were lauded and praised by the media for what we have achieved, putting the pride back into Bristol football, but not good enough for some is it? They prefer the 'old' ways the constant bickering that has been a feature of City for as long as I can remember, never mind Rovers and all the other  ticks regarding other managers players etc, get behind the club and be thankful we have a owner who is not going to jump ship, and has very much a vision to make City a better club. 

The problem for me is what will actually change next season? I have little faith in the recruitment being good over the summer, also little faith in LJ who really does make the most clueless decisions with his team. Please no more of this "he is learning" rubbish!

23 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

How is that logical? 

Some sensible points 86 but as for the highlighted statement - I really don’t think that’s true or accurate

Ill use myself as an example - and others will follow their own opinions and journey

(But the important part is surely he is judged continually based on his whole tenure to date ? - giving some allowance for a newish / ‘learning’ manager)

LJ started as all new managers with a neutral base - In his first post summer window season and the horrific run and record breaking defeats , together with other things you get to hear , his interviews and what was happening out on the pitch and and if you looked deep enough , I began to have major concerns about his ability to manage us at this level and would have quite gladly seen him gone and thought we were destined to drop

We scrambled out of it , deep breath and we started again after two more transfer windows and we started ‘ok’ and then as we all know went on that run in League and Cup playing some of the best football I’ve seen from a City side (We were fortunate at times in that run mind you but be committed and play well , and you can make your own luck 

Thought I had it all completely wrong

(, I’d been confused as to why Lee had recruited FD )but could now see his ‘busy bee’ philosophy in action and purring , with a very effective high press which IMHO was the actual key to it all . When we were goin* well his post match interviews etc became easy and he started to come across very well, confident

(I’ve explained my beliefs now about this purple period and backed up by LJs own comments elsewhere but some decent coaching and work on the training pitch had to be involved tbf)

Then the car crash lasting 5 months and half the season and the exposure of a number of real and previously discussed concerns again (I won’t repeat them we all know the subjects based on here)

During that run , considering the obvious alarm bells going off to many , I actually thought fans gave him plenty of leeway , certainly at AG , because we had all witnessed and enjoyed the pre Xmas run 

I thought it wasn’t to that complete shambolic car crash against Brentford was the point where his credit for the pre Xmas run really began to run out , especially for many I know , like me who had felt similarly through the ups and downs of all aspects of his tenure to date

So to say the credit ran out in 5 mins is IMHO inaccurate  and doesn’t accept judgement of his tenure to date

Things like moving BR forward and the football played before Xmas , at times , are still on his credit sheet but there’s also still some glaring ones on the opposite side too (Again not the post to go into them)

Putting it simply , without that pre. Xmas form he wouldn’t still be here 

Its a constant assessment for me , considering all factors , positive or negative in his tenure here , watching particularly in his ability to learn and rectify , 

I will wait and see what happens with who we lose and who we recruit (I think the biggest cost of the post Xmas slump may yet to be seen - players wanting to leave and some who might otherwise have considered us , turning us down) and see how we start next season , not just in results or points but looking a bit deeper at his management , tactics , what style of play he’s now going to pursue etc etc

A reasonably quick assessment needed in the early part of next season for me ,as to which direction we are heading and whether the wheels look stable , or continue to wobble , fall off , or look like falling off

(SL won’t be that decisive)

19 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

Form from previous season matters in assessing both the players and the manager. It's the context against which you can assess recruitment and training /coaching over the summer. 

agree CR

As I’ve tried to explain in my post 

34 minutes ago, 1bristolcity said:

Well which ever way you want to look at it....it is a clean slate, we all start on the same points 0, unless you feel the need to cherry pick all that was poor last season and forget the high's, yes we did really beat Man U Palace and others along the way, and took Man City all the way, which unless you are deluded to the extent that doesn't matter, it does, and throw in some of the best football we have played for many a season, it bodes well for the future. 

But what we have here is a few regulars, well probably just 2% of the total membership full time moaners who seem to delight in the negative's and now are tipping relegation next season!! Whilst some pundits are backing us for promotion, added to the constant calls for the manager's head it is becoming clear there is a small faction that are doing there best to derail the good intent and huge investment SL has made to the club. In fact we were lauded and praised by the media for what we have achieved, putting the pride back into Bristol football, but not good enough for some is it? They prefer the 'old' ways the constant bickering that has been a feature of City for as long as I can remember, never mind Rovers and all the other  ticks regarding other managers players etc, get behind the club and be thankful we have a owner who is not going to jump ship, and has very much a vision to make City a better club. 

Coming from somebody who never goes near AG that is priceless 

How do you make your assessment then , as you don’t attend or watch games ?

You continue with that belief , there’s not a single ST holder near me who believes in LJ right now and listening to comments in the concourses etc if you think that it’s only a small percentage then you are truly deluded

But as I say - you don’t have a clue - you are geographically away from the Club and don’t watch games and totally out of touch with the world in general (As your numerous rants about posters playing or mention8ng FIFA etc demonstrate )

4 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Coming from somebody who never goes near AG that is priceless 

How do you make your assessment then , as you don’t attend ?

You continue with that belief , there’s not a single ST holder near me who believes in LJ right now and listening to comments in the concourses etc if you think that it’s only a small percentage then you are truly deluded

But as I say - you don’t have a clue - you are geographically away from the Club and don’t watch games 

I think anyone who believes LJ is popular with the majority of the 'hardcore' (ST holders, people who go away with us) is sorely mistaken. About 80/20 among people I know, 4 professional moaners for every happy clapper.

Big, big summer for everyone at the club.

1 hour ago, CotswoldRed said:

In fairness a striker not scoring for a few months by the time August comes around is pretty common ;)

Im sorry to say im not willing to wipe the slate clean after that abysmal show post Christmas. It was just so poor. If it was a "normal season", blips, wins and a mid table finish I would be ok with that. The issues is we went from being so damn good to awful, I want an explanation for that.

Just now, ZiderEyed said:

I think anyone who believes LJ is popular with the majority of the 'hardcore' (ST holders, people who go away with us) is sorely mistaken. About 80/20 among people I know, 4 professional moaners for every happy clapper.

Big, big summer for everyone at the club.

‘like’

I can honestly say Zider that at the ground around me with the ST holders or away from AG I don’t know a single LJ advocate - Every one has real concerns ranging through to ‘Should have gone last year’

12 hours ago, Davefevs said:

All well and good but our early form is all that saved us IMO. Since January we've been dire. Any other season where we've had mediocre starts and we could have been in a relegation battle...again.

Archived