IGNORED

What was our best 11 of the season?

reddogkev

Just interested to see how many different teams people might pick as the best 11.  Apologies if I've missed a similar thread.

My pick would be:

FF

Wright     Flint   Baker  Bryan

Brownhill Smith Pack O'Dowda

Reid

Diedhou

I had 2 major issues, namely whether to fit Paterson into the team (probably at the expense of Brownhill), but such has been his poor form during the last 5 months, he's dropped to my bench.  I've kept O'Dowda as I thought he was playing some superb football prior to his injury.

My other concern was whether to push Bryan onto the left of midfield, but after a minute of thought, I've kept him at left back - but would expect him to attack where ever possible.

Anyone sticking Bryan at LB simply isn't picking our best XI...  The side that beat Man Utd for me. Including the Keeper.  Having 2 defenders at full back actually facilitates fluidity and interchanging, particularly with our Wide midfielders and 2 false 9s.  When you introduce ill disciplined full backs it goes to pot as we've seen in recent home games.  Harsh on Brownhill and Famara but they'd come off the bench no doubt. 

LS

BW AF NB  HM

COD  KS MP  JB

BR    JP

4 hours ago, Fuber said:

Steele; Wright, Flint, Baker, Magnússon; Brownhill, Smith, Pack, Bryan; Paterson, Reid.

Thinking of Steele, and the fact he played in that team above against Man Utd, why didn't he feature more?  Trying to recall, did he have a stinker of a game somewhere along the line?

2 hours ago, reddogkev said:

Thinking of Steele, and the fact he played in that team above against Man Utd, why didn't he feature more?  Trying to recall, did he have a stinker of a game somewhere along the line?

Not really. Fielding was manager's favourite 

7 hours ago, The Bard said:

Anyone sticking Bryan at LB simply isn't picking our best XI...  The side that beat Man Utd for me. Including the Keeper.  Having 2 defenders at full back actually facilitates fluidity and interchanging, particularly with our Wide midfielders and 2 false 9s.  When you introduce ill disciplined full backs it goes to pot as we've seen in recent home games.  Harsh on Brownhill and Famara but they'd come off the bench no doubt. 

LS

BW AF NB  HM

COD  KS MP  JB

BR    JP

COD wasn't in the team that beat Man United

8 minutes ago, Roe said:

Surprising how many people are leaving out our second highest scorer in Diedhiou.

It’s a strange one I would agree because he does look a proven goal scorer however we played our best football prior to his return from injury with patto playing a free role and arguably our most influential player...he never looked the same when pushed back on the wing.

In terms of the best performances as a whole team, it was definitely the one that was forced upon us through injury. 

Fielding

Wright Flint Baker Magnússon

Brownhill Pack Smith Bryan

Pato

Reid 

Would, however, be different if we were talking individual performances. 

17 minutes ago, JasonM88 said:

In terms of the best performances as a whole team, it was definitely the one that was forced upon us through injury. 

Fielding

Pato

Reid 

Certainly agree with that.

14 hours ago, Roe said:

Surprising how many people are leaving out our second highest scorer in Diedhiou.

Was thinking exactly the same thing - it would have been a 20-goal season for him if not for that lengthy injury. Can't remember how  long it's been since Pato had a half-decent game?

2 hours ago, Dingbat said:

Was thinking exactly the same thing - it would have been a 20-goal season for him if not for that lengthy injury. Can't remember how  long it's been since Pato had a half-decent game?

You could say the same about a number of them.  Bryan, Baker, Smith, Wright. 

6 hours ago, JasonM88 said:

Fielding

Pato

Reid 

“Forced” being the key word.

Never in a million years would that team have started with everyone fit.

Archived