IGNORED

AdamB/Beanhead made redundant

CyderInACan

Just now, Fiale said:

I have seen people come and go and it's not uncommon for someone to be called into a office, said he will be made redundant, can leave now with this package and glowing reference and sign a NDA - or get basically nothing but what they are legally obliged to and a blehhh reference. Most people are not in a position to really do anything about it, and just bite the bullet,.

Of course. Most employers - myself included - will give a consultancy period to the person for the chop as this minimises the risk of a later tribunal case.  Details here: http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=4256

You don't have to do it if you're just making one or two people redundant, but it is, as Acas notes, "good practice". 

Fortunately I've only ever had to do it once. 

Another thing I’d like to add, on this thread alone I’ve read SL,JL, and MA are all calling the shots, none of us know anything whatsoever as to what’s going on behind the scenes, possibly a couple do but they won’t say anything anyway. 

Fact is something is very wrong whoever it is calling the shots, it’s probably causing a rift in the boardroom, maybe the players too and now it’s filtering down to us their ‘customers’ and judging by this thread we ain’t happy, and rightly so it would seem.

1 minute ago, Red-Robbo said:

Indeed. Happened to me at the Beeb too. There though it was my decision to take the accrued time off and long-service leave rather than work for 3 months in a job I knew was going nowhere.

Exactly this. My other half had no intention of going in every day for three months and do **** all and the company didn`t want to risk her possibly sowing discord/sabotaging anything so it was agreed by all parties that she leave the same day she was notified with an acceptable financial settlement for all concerned (which was considerably more generous than what they were legally required to provide). She was pretty senior in the company so was entitled to three months notice so financially it was a no brainer - particularly since she got another job a fortnight later!

She actually had no need to work again until April purely in financial terms.

I suspect this is pretty much what happened with AB.

9 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

In which case BCFC could be taken to an Employment Tribunal.

Five possibilities:

A_ He'd known the day was coming as he'd been notified but chose not to speak about it. The chain of command chose to rather abruptly curtail his last day however.

B: He's taking his accrued holiday in lieu of the statutory notice period.

C: They gave him notice of redundancy and he decided too walk out - possibly leaving a choice expletive ringing in their ears.

D: He's been fired for something we don't know about.

E: The sudden 4:30 bombshell scenario never happened.

B is the only one of those which could be true. We don't know what's written into his contract, either.

45 minutes ago, MC RISK77 said:

Ok I will play devils advocate...I manage a sales team for a global financial powerhouse....someone in my team has been with the business as a sales consultant for 30 years has outstanding relationships but is totally one dimensional not consultative and cannot do much more than take people for lunch and a drink...he gets business in but if he was consultative he could get more...his approach was exactly how it should have been 10/15/20years ago but is archaic now, dynamics of a business and industry move with the times...it’s no longer about relationships and being a good guy it is about making profit on every pound you put on the books....upshot is ultimately the shelf life is not long for him

Bloody hell, can't you see that you sound like Ashton mate?

You get those sales though!

edit ah yeah, so you do

38 minutes ago, MC RISK77 said:

Ok I will play devils advocate...I manage a sales team for a global financial powerhouse....someone in my team has been with the business as a sales consultant for 30 years has outstanding relationships but is totally one dimensional not consultative and cannot do much more than take people for lunch and a drink...he gets business in but if he was consultative he could get more...his approach was exactly how it should have been 10/15/20years ago but is archaic now, dynamics of a business and industry move with the times...it’s no longer about relationships and being a good guy it is about making profit on every pound you put on the books....upshot is ultimately the shelf life is not long for him

It's a PR role; not a sales one.

The requirement is being popular and respected by the fans.  Which he is.  There is no revenue stream there however fancy you make the video clips.

I was going to have a rant but having read through 9 pages there is nothing else I can add that hasn’t already been said. With every passing day Bristol City feels less and less like Bristol City to me. It’s all to corporate for my liking and has lost its heart. 

Adam would have been paid handsomely by the club and his job would have been a dream job for any of us. However he went far beyond the call of duty. He dedicated his life to this club and really cared about communicating with us fans, I’m sure at some point he has answered questions from all of us, I remember him being particularly active advising fans on the cup games ticketing arrangements. 

Today is a very sad day for BCFC and Adam if your reading this, I’d like to thank you for all you have done over the years.

1 minute ago, Spoons said:

On this one I might be more ITK than the lot of you. But I'm on holiday in centre parcs and can't be arsed to argue.

Not looking for an argument Spoons. So are you saying that Ashton’s first day in the job was 16/01/16? And he had no involvement, conversations or decisions prior to that date? 

I know Adam b personally and his wife. Also his father in law has worked for the club for 25 years plus.

Sad day for the club but most of all Adam and his family. 

Bcfc is/was Adams life not just his job.

Thanks for everything. Head up mate.

I’m assuming this is probably to do with what SL talked about in his interview before the Sheff Utd game. He talked about how impressive the Man Utd club officials were in the league cup and that we should be aiming for a similar sort of standard with ours. Unfortunately it looks like Adam doesn’t fit into the highly slick corporate service that SL and MA are obviously aspiring to. 

2 minutes ago, Harry said:

Not looking for an argument Spoons. So are you saying that Ashton’s first day in the job was 16/01/16? And he had no involvement, conversations or decisions prior to that date? 

Yes mate. But in the grand scheme of things I'm not really bothered. 

I'm just gutted about what's going on in our club.

7 minutes ago, Spoons said:

Yes mate. But in the grand scheme of things I'm not really bothered. 

I'm just gutted about what's going on in our club.

Knowing who you know (as posted above), I’d theorise that your source was not aware of the fact that MA was being ‘consulted’ weeks before his ‘official’ announcement.  Why would he? It was very unofficial, behind the scenes stuff. 

Anyway mate, as said, no arguments - you crack on with your holiday. And I share your thoughts about what’s going on at our club. 

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

In which case BCFC could be taken to an Employment Tribunal.

Five possibilities:

A_ He'd known the day was coming as he'd been notified but chose not to speak about it. The chain of command chose to rather abruptly curtail his last day however.

B: He's taking his accrued holiday in lieu of the statutory notice period.

C: They gave him notice of redundancy and he decided too walk out - possibly leaving a choice expletive ringing in their ears.

D: He's been fired for something we don't know about.

E: The sudden 4:30 bombshell scenario never happened.

If he has been made redundant the most likely reason he has left immediately is that the club has agreed to pay his notice period up front and he is no longer required to turn up at Ashton Gate. This is quite normal and does not break any employment law.

I also suspect he has been given more than the statutory minimum pay out and that he has agreed to a non disclosure agreement, again something which is quite common the starting point is usually 6 months pay on top of payment in leu of notice and holiday pay.

1 hour ago, Leaning To One Side said:

:clap:I think I've fallen for you Peg :P

all in the name of charidee

I've just shown my hubby your post...

His response?

He snorted, said "Really? It's understandable", then went back to the TV. 

Who ever said romance is screwed eh?

I've said my piece on Adam in the other thread so this is just a minor clarification, but adding to the detail @Red-Robbo has shared about the practicalities of handling redundancy, as someone who has had to make people redundant, especially when  knowing they have family, can we just lose the idea anyone does it with any relish, it is a horrific experience, I've lost more sleep over it than potential bankruptcy or losing my own job. It is literally soul destroying.

Business isn't easy. If it was, I suspect a lot less people would drink. This certainly is not a defence of City. I happen to think Mark Ashton is a total waste of money, per all hia spin and the poor return return from recruitment, and I do think Adam has been treated with absolutely zero class, ANY 17 year employee of the club deserves better, but the one thing I won't accuse the club of is any relish or satisfaction in Adam losing his job.

2 minutes ago, Olé said:

I've said my piece on Adam in the other thread so this is just a minor clarification, but adding to the detail @Red-Robbo has shared about the practicalities of handling redundancy, as someone who has had to make people redundant, especially when  knowing they have family, can we just lose the idea anyone does it with any relish, it is a horrific experience, I've lost more sleep over it than potential bankruptcy or losing my own job. It is literally soul destroying.

Business isn't easy. If it was, I suspect a lot less people would drink. This certainly is not a defence of City. I happen to think Mark Ashton is a total waste of money, per all hia spin and the poor return return from recruitment, and I do think Adam has been treated with absolutely zero class, ANY 17 year employee of the club deserves better, but the one thing I won't accuse the club of is any relish or satisfaction in Adam losing his job.

Fair comments well put, not a nice situation to be in for anyone involved, but if the alleged rumours are true Ashton couldn’t give a toss as he got someone else to do it for him.

*I have no idea if said rumour is true mind.

It does seem rather ironic that we waste so much money on sh1te players who couldn't give two hoots about our club.

Then make somebody redundant who is City through and through.

I am very uncomfortable with the likes of Mark Ashton at our club, doesn't sound like the sort of person I would ever want to associate with.

6 minutes ago, Slack Bladder said:

It does seem rather ironic that we waste so much money on sh1te players who couldn't give two hoots about our club.

Then make somebody redundant who is City through and through.

I am very uncomfortable with the likes of Mark Ashton at our club, doesn't sound like the sort of person I would ever want to associate with.

This won't be a cost cutting exercise, his salary will be insignificant in terms of costs when you think of the wage bill. 

How much did Diony get for his absolute shite cameo? 

This will be labelled as "restructuring" which is the bollocks for your face doesn't fit any more. 

And we have that absolute moron who does the announcements ... 

13 hours ago, Dollymarie said:

Our football club is rotten at the core. 

How bad must it be for you to say that Dolly - and I mean that in the nicest possible way as my take on you is a positive person only wanting to see the good not the bad which is an attribute very few of us have.

There is a real fundamental issue which some of us with a voice are not afraid to express and haven't been for quite a while.

And here is the crux of it - the club is owned not by somebody who many would like to believe owns the club because he "loves" Bristol City and has built "us" a stadium.

The owner has bought himself a piece of land at a price way below the  value as stated in its accounts at the time. Then built a stadium on that land. And now rents it out to our football club at a rate designed to yield his stadium company a reasonable return. With a little bit of financial re-engineering in between.

It's an outcome which has been happening by stealth for years but not many could see it.

And now our football club is no longer our football club because, as I have said so many times before, the 25% rule made in 1982 for exceedingly good reasons, was removed, in a process that only the person behind it really realised what was happening.

4 hours ago, ziderheadarmy said:

I was told by someone in the know that GON is our top earner on 25k a week and Bobby is on 3k a week. 

That don’t be far from the amounts imho either.

3 hours ago, spudski said:

If you want to know anymore about MA...I suggest you look into Calibre Sports group ltd, Grove Life ltd, Tactical Change and Ensco :whistle:

If I was LJ....I'd also be worried with him as CEO.

If it wasn't for SL intervening...and MA having his way, LJ would have been gone last season.

I posed the same question the other week when I went through all of the Companies House stuff.  Not a lot of info on what those companies do / did.

3 hours ago, ziderheadarmy said:

Do you mind me asking why? @Big Red Rich

I’ve had my own personal issues with the club which has led to me not renewing my season ticket for the first time in 21 years.

It's not really Bristol city per sè it's just football in general but city is/was my team. I just can't get on-board with this namby pamby hospitality nonsense and wine sold at half time in the kiosks. Not for me anymore. If either of my kids get into footy it will be bath city for us although not even non league is safe, just look at Salford. 

I might venture down the gate again once LJ buggers off but unless someone comes calling then I'll be looking at a cut price oap ticket by the time he's gone I expect....

Archived