IGNORED

AdamB/Beanhead made redundant

CyderInACan

2 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

There's no two ways about it. It shows contempt for Adam and the fans. 

A significant minority will know him, have spoken to him or benefited directly from his work. 

A significant majority will know of him and enjoyed his commentary, his media input etc. 

To ignore 20 years service of a very public servant of the club is deplorable in the mind of any right-minded human being. 

Its no wonder the club have put the Vs up to large sections of fans this years when they do this to their very own. 

oh don't take my post as defending the club here, I think its disgusting the way he's been let go,

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/statement/

Ashton Gate can confirm that Adam Baker has decided to leave his position as head of communications for Bristol City this summer.

Baker, 36, originally joined the club in 2001 and has headed up the football club’s media and communications output for the past 10 years, collecting a number of industry awards for City’s official website and match programme along the way.

Speaking of his decision, Baker said: “It is with a heavy heart that I leave Ashton Gate after nearly two decades of service for the club I love - taking in over 1,000 games in that time.

“When I began the role all those years ago there were no 24/7 sports news channels, no Facebook and Twitter, and certainly no Goal GIFs.

“It’s a very demanding job, often requiring work on six or seven days a week, with the odd 4am return from Preston or Ipswich thrown in!

“With a young family, I now want the chance to spend time with them; they deserve that for the sacrifices they have often had to make for my job, while I also take the time to look at the many career opportunities elsewhere.

“I will always cherish the promotion in 2007, the incredible double-winning campaign of 2015, the play-off finals and Football League Trophy finals.

“It feels fitting to end following a season that will always be remembered for the incredible night beating Manchester United at Ashton Gate, the two-legged ties with English champions Manchester City and, not forgetting, those aforementioned Goal GIFs that helped the club achieve global acclaim. 

“I want to thank all the managers I’ve worked under - Danny Wilson, Brian Tinnion, Gary Johnson, Steve Coppell, Keith Millen, Derek McInnes, Sean O’Driscoll, Steve Cotterill and, most recently, Lee Johnson - plus the owner Steve Lansdown and his board. 

“The same goes for the countless players, football staff and office staff I’ve had the pleasure to work alongside in BS3, many of whom I still fondly look on as friends to this day.

“I now look forward to returning to how I began, as a supporter, albeit in the seats rather than on the long gone East End terrace, and I will be cheering on Lee’s team and the players more than ever.”

Bristol City FC, Bristol Sport and Ashton Gate would like to thank Adam for his great service over the best part of two decades. He has been a loyal servant for so many years and his knowledge and insight will be missed. We would all like to wish him the very best for his future.

2 minutes ago, Cider-Head23 said:

Quite amusing how after all the fuss over this that Adam actually resigned.

Typical of some on here to use this as a platform to yet again slate the club.

Without even knowing all the facts.. anyway all the best @AdamB

Where does it say that?

The best bit is everyone is now going to say 'Ashton made him say it' despite having as much evidence of that as when we started assembling our flaming torchlit mob last week.

If- IF- he did resign, some people might owe some smarmy bastards some apologies haha!

Edit- fair point @Phileas Fogg

1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

It's quite cleverly worded.. but nowhere does he admit he resigned in that statement..

"It is with a heavy heart that I leave Ashton Gate after nearly two decades of service for the club I love"

Not convinced personally..

Exactly. This was the kind of statement I was expecting, if any. Many said the same. 

No way was he going to leave with a "we made him redundant as he was surplus" type of message. 

2 minutes ago, Stortz said:

The best bit is everyone is now going to say 'Ashton made him say it' despite having as much evidence of that as when we started assembling our flaming torchlit mob last week.

If- IF- he did resign, some people might owe some some smarmy bastards some apologies haha!

This is, pretty much, what people said would happen. 

Of course this might not apply here, but I've known of plenty of people in business that one day were happily employed and the next week are leaving with heavy hearts to pursue pastures new for different challenges. 

@Cider-Head23

Not a conspiracy theorist in the main.

However- it is not entirely uncommon in companies for resignations to encompass an offer of demotion. Maybe a lot less plausible given his length of services- as in 'We no longer rate you in the job, however maybe a new position can open up or a position you were in prior to this, however not this one'. Basically if he resigns and probably with a decent payoff, the story is resigned is technically true- or offered demotion which isn't good on CV. Seen people offered new or former position at my past jobs, but basically made clear that they won't be there in their current position.

He's departed one way or another, but young family- travel away, could easily be true that he's resigned.

4 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

Exactly. This was the kind of statement I was expecting, if any. Many said the same. 

No way was he going to leave with a "we made him redundant as he was surplus" type of message. 

..and 6 days after the event.  I know what I’ll believe 

2 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

..and 6 days after the event.  I know what I’ll believe 

I'd say it takes roughly 6 days for events to unfold as I suspect happened. 

You'd think some have held the position of paperboy and nothing else, the naivety spouted. 

18 minutes ago, Cider-Head23 said:

Hypothetically, if any employee is made redundant and receives a discretionary payoff, do you think any statement would read something like this 

"Joe Bloggs has been made redundant and has been asked to sign a non-disclosure agreement to ensure all facts stay in-house. We wish Joe all the best for the future"? 

40 minutes ago, Cider-Head23 said:

Seriously do you actually believe he resigned?

Wake up and smell the coffee.

If what was said on this thread untrue, and Baker did resign. He'd have been on here saying so. 

They've pushed him and I guess it's a similar situation to when Managers leave by 'Mutual Consent' (They haven't really)

Still, all the best to Adam. 

I may be slow on the uptake but who are 'Ashton Gate', or does the stadium have an ability to communicate?

If the club are so thick as to think we don't know that:

Resigned = Sacked

Need to spend time with family = Sacked

Need a new challenge = Sacked

then they've crossed the Rubicon in demonstrating their wanton  contempt for supporters.

26 minutes ago, Cider-Head23 said:

Yes he clearly resigned..

6 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

If what was said on this thread untrue, and Baker did resign. He'd have been on here saying so. 

They've pushed him and I guess it's a similar situation to when Managers leave by 'Mutual Consent' (They haven't really)

Still, all the best to Adam. 

Certain people I wouldn't trust with my pint if I went for a p**s

17 minutes ago, 95red said:

So he wants a spend time with his family no one believes him , its still ashton and lansdown to blame, some ***** on here mind

Context.

The club put out the statement not him.

Archived