IGNORED

South Bristol Sports Centre

Bristol Rob

Thought for one moment you meant Hengrove Park Leisure Centre - that's my gym! :shocking:  Thanks for that , BristolRob.   :nono:    (We had a fire drill last week, so naturally feared the worst.)

Just to confirm, it's the old Imperial Ground in West Town Lane that's gone up. Saw a big, black plume of smoke from my window earlier and wondered what it was. Real shame if it has taken the building out; hope no-one is left in it.

2 minutes ago, Erithacus said:

Thought for one moment you meant Hengrove Park Leisure Centre - that's my gym! :shocking:  Thanks for that , BristolRob.   :nono:    (We had a fire drill last week, so naturally feared the worst.)

Just to confirm, it's the old Imperial Ground in West Town Lane that's gone up. Saw a big, black plume of smoke from my window earlier and wondered what it was. Real shame if it has taken the building out; hope no-one is left in it.

Maybe a MOD can amend the thread title, wasn't trying to mislead.

15 minutes ago, Erithacus said:

Could see loads of smoke from my house in BS14 - son was hoping it was his school :laugh:

3 hours ago, Erithacus said:

The Imperial ground is 200 metres away at Sturminster road which they share with Whitchurch Sports JFC. 

Imperial Junior teams, Whitchurch and to lesser degrees junior clubs like Ashton Boys also use the South Bristol Sports centre.

18 hours ago, Cowshed said:

The Imperial ground is 200 metres away at Sturminster road which they share with Whitchurch Sports JFC. 

Imperial Junior teams, Whitchurch and to lesser degrees junior clubs like Ashton Boys also use the South Bristol Sports centre.

If you say "The Imperial" to someone who lives round there they'd assume you meant what is now renamed as the sports centre, the bit you're referring to off Sturminster is still known locally as "Manor Farm".

The area where the fire broke out is part of the original Imperial Tobacco athletic ground, purchased in the early 1910s. It was developed over the years to include tennis and bowling, with cricket a prime feature - including first class matches from the 1950s. The Manor Farm area was not added until the 1920s, and before that was actually known as Rookery Farm.

26 minutes ago, Erithacus said:

The area where the fire broke out is part of the original Imperial Tobacco athletic ground, purchased in the early 1910s. It was developed over the years to include tennis and bowling, with cricket a prime feature - including first class matches from the 1950s. The Manor Farm area was not added until the 1920s, and before that was actually known as Rookery Farm.

Would it be where I saw Somerset v Gloucs in a JP league game back in the 80s? I`m sure that was the Imperial Ground.

You well may have done so, RRH. According to Wikithingie, the Imperial Ground held a number of John Player Sunday League games there from 1971-79. I was there for the last one  - and as it turned out, the last senior match ever held there. IIRC, Mike Proctor was captaining Glos, while the big guns of Somerset (Botham et al) ran out winners.

On 12/05/2018 at 17:30, Jan Window said:

Not been there.  Is this where the Bristol City Community Trust Holiday Camp is hosted in a couple of weeks time? If so are the pitches a safe distance from the buildings?

It is. The holiday camp will be fine.

30 minutes ago, Erithacus said:

You well may have done so, RRH. According to Wikithingie, the Imperial Ground held a number of John Player Sunday League games there from 1971-79. I was there for the last one  - and as it turned out, the last senior match ever held there. IIRC, Mike Proctor was captaining Glos, while the big guns of Somerset (Botham et al) ran out winners.

That could well have been the one I was at too.

Archived