IGNORED

Surprise Scapegoat?

YorkshireSection

4 hours ago, chinapig said:

City's policy of course is to have a structure that does not change whoever the head coach is. In that context I wouldn't be surprised if the real power over recruitment rests with MA.

Despite Lee saying he has the final say, you only have to go back to MA’s first interview tohear him say he’s in charge.  There have been enough posts on here from a couple of people much closer to the inner workings of Bristol City than most of us to confirm this is true.

I sense LJ (not blameless) is feeling the pressure from MA, that MA will not be the fall guy.  LJ has said a few things that don’t tow the party line.  He’ll be muted if he continues, then sacked.  I think LJ has realised what type of bloke he’s working for.

2 hours ago, WayOutWest said:

2 points. 

Firstly, I have said on a different thread. MA should be nothing more than a negotiator. Leave the football to football people. Leave the corporate speak to like minded people. 

I really don't want to hear interviews from the guy. Just do your job. Get 15m for JK buy MT for 300k. That's what you do. Get on with that. 

Take credit for that. Not you think you should be part of the process for player identification. You are as qualified as me. 

Secondly I live in Canada. I follow the NHL very closely. It's a good model structurally.  They have a GM (General Manager). He is in absolute control. Buys off loads players. Selects the team etc. Has no interaction with the players during the game.  His coach is responsible for putting the team he has picked to work. He knows what's needed through vast experience and puts pressure on the coach to deliver. The vision is shared with owner and GM. The coach gets results. 

Think DoF. 

Maybe LJ workload is actually too much. Offloading player recruitment to a GM/DoF will allow him more time on training / coaching / development. A trusted DoF with clear responsibilities is the way forward. 

Let MA do the deal.

My thoughts 

Stevo

Agree, but LJ brought in Macca so he could spend less time on the training ground and more time on recruitment.  That hasn’t worked well has it.  LJ is best on the training ground, unfortunately him and MA have decided to focus their time in areas they are crap at. 

Jeez this is going to be a long summer. All this nonsense of finding a scapegoat and finding people to blame for January’s dealings etc. Yawn

Maybe mark Ashton pulled a blinder in January. Maybe LJ or one of our scouts idendified diony, as the man we wanted to help fire us to promotion, after all we wanted him over last summer and had a great reccord before. Maybe we were told the asking price and Ashton was alarmed by the lack of form this year and negotiated a loan move first and therefor saved us from a humiliating £6/7m blunder, meaning that money is available this summer still. Maybe LJ was concerned about signing him permenantly. Either was

and as for Adam bakers unfortunate demise, he was amature. Bringing out Matty Taylor at ht and welcoming him to Bristol was cringeworthy and didn’t make sense as an insult. His commentary on radio Bristol was awful. Good decision IMO and improves the image of the club 

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Despite Lee saying he has the final say, you only have to go back to MA’s first interview tohear him say he’s in charge.  There have been enough posts on here from a couple of people much closer to the inner workings of Bristol City than most of us to confirm this is true.

I sense LJ (not blameless) is feeling the pressure from MA, that MA will not be the fall guy.  LJ has said a few things that don’t tow the party line.  He’ll be muted if he continues, then sacked.  I think LJ has realised what type of bloke he’s working for.

Agree, but LJ brought in Macca so he could spend less time on the training ground and more time on recruitment.  That hasn’t worked well has it.  LJ is best on the training ground, unfortunately him and MA have decided to focus their time in areas they are crap at. 

Everything you say makes sense and reinforces the need for a quality DoF.

Wenger would only cost about £8m a year. :whistle:

I have heard rumours that MA is interested in going to WBA and taking LJ with him. Whether this is true or not I have no idea but if so it would show that they have a good working relationship. 

Off topic, I have also heard that City have cancelled the last 2 years of Lancer Scotts sponsorship and replaced them with a Chinese betting firm. If this is true then I wonder if this is a prelude to foreign investment and the possibility of SL selling up. Think of all the shit players MA could sign with a large transfer kitty. We would be rolling in Dionys. 

6 hours ago, WayOutWest said:

2 points. 

Firstly, I have said on a different thread. MA should be nothing more than a negotiator. Leave the football to football people. Leave the corporate speak to like minded people. 

I really don't want to hear interviews from the guy. Just do your job. Get 15m for JK buy MT for 300k. That's what you do. Get on with that. 

Take credit for that. Not you think you should be part of the process for player identification. You are as qualified as me. 

Secondly I live in Canada. I follow the NHL very closely. It's a good model structurally.  They have a GM (General Manager). He is in absolute control. Buys off loads players. Selects the team etc. Has no interaction with the players during the game.  His coach is responsible for putting the team he has picked to work. He knows what's needed through vast experience and puts pressure on the coach to deliver. The vision is shared with owner and GM. The coach gets results. 

Think DoF. 

Maybe LJ workload is actually too much. Offloading player recruitment to a GM/DoF will allow him more time on training / coaching / development. A trusted DoF with clear responsibilities is the way forward. 

Let MA do the deal.

My thoughts 

Stevo

who do you support? I follow the Calgary Flames myself but I lived in Kingston, ON so it was pretty much Leafs fans with the Habs second and probably Sens being third. One bloody good game it has to be said

46 minutes ago, RED4LIFE said:

I have heard rumours that MA is interested in going to WBA and taking LJ with him. Whether this is true or not I have no idea but if so it would show that they have a good working relationship. 

Off topic, I have also heard that City have cancelled the last 2 years of Lancer Scotts sponsorship and replaced them with a Chinese betting firm. If this is true then I wonder if this is a prelude to foreign investment and the possibility of SL selling up. Think of all the shit players MA could sign with a large transfer kitty. We would be rolling in Dionys. 

Crikey.

2 hours ago, RED4LIFE said:

If the ladder is true of the Chinese betting firm, perhaps reading too much into it? Perhaps they are just willing to pay much more than LS? Make sense considering all the exposure we received. Globally we are probably more well known now and I wouldn’t be surprised if an ambitious company wanted to get in before we are promoted(would be the thinking as we showed at the start the great football we can play). Also we play in red which is very relevant to China(flag). So perhaps a sponsorship too good to pass up? It would be another way to bring in extra income as I think historically our shirt sponsorship is peanuts. 

3 hours ago, RED4LIFE said:

100% correct. Cast aside 

Like a used Durex is closer to the truth!

3 hours ago, RED4LIFE said:

Just when I thought otib was done for the day you drop this one In

6 hours ago, city1983 said:

Jeez this is going to be a long summer. All this nonsense of finding a scapegoat and finding people to blame for January’s dealings etc. Yawn

Maybe mark Ashton pulled a blinder in January. Maybe LJ or one of our scouts idendified diony, as the man we wanted to help fire us to promotion, after all we wanted him over last summer and had a great reccord before. Maybe we were told the asking price and Ashton was alarmed by the lack of form this year and negotiated a loan move first and therefor saved us from a humiliating £6/7m blunder, meaning that money is available this summer still. Maybe LJ was concerned about signing him permenantly. Either was

and as for Adam bakers unfortunate demise, he was amature. Bringing out Matty Taylor at ht and welcoming him to Bristol was cringeworthy and didn’t make sense as an insult. His commentary on radio Bristol was awful. Good decision IMO and improves the image of the club 

:clap:Not saying I agree with you, not saying I don’t, as I don’t know. But I do admire anyone with the balls to say what he thinks when it’s 100% contrary to what everyone else is saying. 

2 minutes ago, NickJ said:

:clap:Not saying I agree with you, not saying I don’t, as I don’t know. But I do admire anyone with the balls to say what he thinks when it’s 100% contrary to what everyone else is saying. 

Indeed it does take courage to go against the general consensus and to be fair to City1983 he does suggest a counter aruguement that certainly has some merit.

18 hours ago, Harry said:

Ain’t no scapegoating about it. He’s responsible. That’s his role. If our transfer policy fails, if the club fails, it’s his job that was responsible for it. 

No scapegoating. 

Plus, whoever wrote that on Facebook needs to seriously control their comma’s. ;)

18 hours ago, YorkshireSection said:

I don't think you can pin it on MA, not solely, LJ has a huge part to pay.

I might also have a little nibble at the scouts too mind; wasting the time of LJ and MA who are presented with such dross and gullible enough to go for them. 

Mind you I suppose there could be a scenario that also goes like this..

MA: "Yes I can see why you have this fella at the top of your recommended list but when you drill down through the stats and compare them this guy, 4th on the list, is his equal and the asking price is 50% less. Lets go for him Lee yeah?"

LJ: "umm.. yeah well I called the first guy and he was in the Watford youth academy when you were there and he doesn't want to come here anyway so I guess the 4th guy yeah. Looks good. By chance you did not meet him at Oxford did you Mark?"....

Scout: "OK, thats that then. Good luck lads, you know best. I'm off to the bar for a scotch"

LJ: " hold up,. I'll join you"

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Indeed it does take courage to go against the general consensus and to be fair to City1983 he does suggest a counter aruguement that certainly has some merit.

If Bristol City FC is a business rather than a community organisation then yes I’d agree with you. 

3 minutes ago, NickJ said:

If Bristol City FC is a business rather than a community organisation then yes I’d agree with you. 

His point about Dionsey has bugger all to do anything other than the interests of the football club.....MA doing his job?

15 hours ago, sticks 1969 said:

Like it has been said before,when we were doing well you could not get MA away from the camera, since Christmas he,s been like lord lucan........

Like the players he has been instrumental in signing then?!!! :laughcont:

15 hours ago, NickJ said:

Thanks, I just says it how I sees it

During that disgraceful losing streak last season I tried to play devils advacte saying the side LJ put together got Barnsley to Wembley and promotion. A Barnsley fan came on and said they had others who identified recruits and signed them and that LJ had little say in who was signed. 

Now I'm not saying this is the case at Ashton Gate but it is a credible scenario. It would make sense that MA wanted a head coach rather than a manager who wanted to keep control over who they sign and who, within reason, they sell. Having a history of this system the club wouldn't have to sell it to a new man and MA gets to be important.

1 minute ago, numbeast said:

During that disgraceful losing streak last season I tried to play devils advacte saying the side LJ put together got Barnsley to Wembley and promotion. A Barnsley fan came on and said they had others who identified recruits and signed them and that LJ had little say in who was signed. 

Now I'm not saying this is the case at Ashton Gate but it is a credible scenario. It would make sense that MA wanted a head coach rather than a manager who wanted to keep control over who they sign and who, within reason, they sell. Having a history of this system the club wouldn't have to sell it to a new man and MA gets to be important.

It might suit his over inflated ego

But there was no way Ashton had any say in who was going to be Head Coach

3 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

It might suit his over inflated ego

But there was no way Ashton had any say in who was going to be Head Coach

It would depend what conditions Ashton took the job in the first place. I'm sure the fact that the Johnsons and Lansdowns seem close helped. 

If LJ doesn't have the responsibility of identifying prospective signing then we should employ a DoF who can work with the MA and LJ someone who has had success in management but who now wants a position within the game  without the daily pressure of coaching/managing.

11 minutes ago, numbeast said:

It would depend what conditions Ashton took the job in the first place. I'm sure the fact that the Johnsons and Lansdowns seem close helped. 

If LJ doesn't have the responsibility of identifying prospective signing then we should employ a DoF who can work with the MA and LJ someone who has had success in management but who now wants a position within the game  without the daily pressure of coaching/managing.

I hope GT asks some straight questions about recruitment and whose final say tonight 

Archived