IGNORED

Johnson on sound of the city with twentyman

11 minutes ago, woodsy62 said:

Boy wonder will blame everybody except himself

He is a bit annoying with that. The boys need love. The other team had towels to dry ball off. The fans were wrong for booing. Would be refreshing if he just came out and said the boys struggled after a great first half of the season and I just couldn’t figure out how to turn it back around but that is where I need to keep improving as a manager. 

Never happen but a bit of self criticism and being a bit humble think would go a long was with many fans. Think most get he is a young manager but sometimes he comes across as smug and thinking he is more clever than anyone in the stadium. 

7 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

He is a bit annoying with that. The boys need love. The other team had towels to dry ball off. The fans were wrong for booing. Would be refreshing if he just came out and said the boys struggled after a great first half of the season and I just couldn’t figure out how to turn it back around but that is where I need to keep improving as a manager. 

Never happen but a bit of self criticism and being a bit humble think would go a long was with many fans. Think most get he is a young manager but sometimes he comes across as smug and thinking he is more clever than anyone in the stadium. 

You`re right. I want him to succeed here and always have but even I get a bit embarrassed/pissed off with some of this stuff.

He`d get a few back on side if he just did a `mea culpa` now and again.

3 minutes ago, One Dickie Rooks said:

It's appalling why do you people out up with mediocrity and then find excuses for Steve Lansdown's company Bristol Sport,they don't care about you,it's entertainment it's not real life 

Because we have a huge bias/love for our life long team

45 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Would be refreshing if he just came out and said the boys struggled after a great first half of the season and I just couldn’t figure out how to turn it back around but that is where I need to keep improving as a manager. 

I agree humble would be good, but the problem , I think is within the job itself. Apart from an elite few , managers are always in self preservation mode. They probably see taking the blame, or self criticism as giving the board/club/owner more reason or ammunition to fire them. Of course LJ is in a slightly stronger position than most so he could have been honest , but. With Steves aim now being top 6, maybe there is some pressure on Johnson, but I think it could be an interesting listen.

3 minutes ago, phantom said:

Perhaps he may surprise us all...... 

Nah.

It's the same way I kept thinking he'd drop Pato eventually. Took ages, and when it eventually happened, it was against Brentford it was for Kent.

I can't cope LJ surprising me again. :laughcont:

I'm reading a book currently entitled "Mistakes Were Made (But Not By Me)." It's about how we all employ self-justification; we just can't help it. Here's the blurb from the back cover:

"When we make mistakes, cling to outdated attitudes, or mistreat other people, we must calm the cognitive dissonance that jars our feelings of self-worth. And so, unconsciously, we create fictions that absolve us of responsibility, restoring our belief that we are smart, moral and right - a belief that often keeps us on a course that is dumb, immoral, and wrong."

I wonder if they've got/would like a copy down Bristol Sport HQ. Some summer reading for Mark, Lee and Jonboy?

1 hour ago, JoeAman08 said:

“The grass was the wrong length....” - I’d have a lot more respect for him if he came out and said he was wrong to bring in Woodrow, Diony, Kent .....but he won’t....he relied on the league one champions boys as the spine/heartbeat of the team....not the zillions of players he signed....but he won’t mention that...

Main question to ask is walk us through the Dony saga , 

A) when was he first scouted and was that before his move St Etienne.

B) Were you then involved in scouting him and did he become a target.

C) Once he moved to St Etienne did you still watch him as his form dipped and how many times did someone watch him before City took him on loan or was it all done with videos.

D) How long after  signing on loan did you know it wasn't working out. 

E) what have you learnt from this mistake!!!

I hope there well be an opportunity for a 'phone in' as i am sure there will,  but if 'Twentystone 'has the same quality interview as he did with SL no need for 'us' to ask LJ the pertinent questions.

If I get the chance i would ask him if he agreed with SL comments, to quote,  that we 'lost our way' and 'blundered along' and 'over complicated things' ! 

Ironically today I was out and about and ended up sitting next to a chap in a 'Reading AFC'  shirt in a cafe.  Had a great chat with him about the Championship. He moaned and groaned about his teams football this season under the 'Stam'. sideways, backwards, sideways, backwards.  'Tippy Tappy' and no end product !   Loads possession and no shots on goal !  Sounds familiar?   He yearned for the Coppell era,  down the wing, great cross and a goal !     

1 minute ago, gavlin said:

C) Once he moved to St Etienne did you still watch him as his form dipped and how many times did someone watch him before City took on loan or was it all done with videos.

This. 

As well as... When did you decide that the tactics of August to December should be dropped permanently and that they couldn't possibly work again. And did any player suggest to you that maybe we should return to that way of playing? 

1 minute ago, gavlin said:

C) Once he moved to St Etienne did you still watch him as his form dipped and how many times did someone watch him before City took him on loan or was it all done with videos.

1 minute ago, CotswoldRed said:

This. 

As well as... When did you decide that the tactics of August to December should be dropped permanently and that they couldn't possibly work again. And did any player suggest to you that maybe we should return to that way of playing? 

And.... Are we still going to break the club record and sign him :facepalm:

37 minutes ago, gavlin said:

Would be interested to hear him answer those questions to be honest. Id imagine you’d get a politician style approach to most of them though.

33 minutes ago, gavlin said:

I'm still 99% convinced that the sole reason he ended up here was due to his longstanding friendship/relationship with FD. 

We'll never find out but go back and watch the interviews, Diony almost alludes to it!

Of course we'll never know for sure but it goes on in all walks of life. Why would football be so different

GT is always firm and fair so I expect some probing questions but can predict the usual bullshit bingo and deflection about drone technology, phone apps and giant screens at Failand. Oh and lashings of the 3 P's!! Progress, Pathway and Project!

I can't wait 

2 hours ago, gavlin said:

You cynical bugger!! :D

I said yesterday, I reckon it was all bollox.

Of course he’ll be in our “database”, virtually every player is probably on there, and any scouting in France will’ve picked him up, but as for him being a target, ahead of Diedhiou, I don’t buy it.

Credit to Johnson for going on. He doesn’t have to take part and he knows Twentyman won’t give him an easy time.

I imagine there’ll be some tricky questions from Geoff and probably some calls from the audience. Hope he gets asked about the January window, the erratic form, expectations for next season and about potential departures.

Remember - when things were very bad last season; Ashton didn’t want to speak to Geoff. Johnson is fronting up and going on the show, takes some guts to do that.

4 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Credit to Johnson for going on. He doesn’t have to take part and he knows Twentyman won’t give him an easy time.

I imagine there’ll be some tricky questions from Geoff and probably some calls from the audience. Hope he gets asked about the January window, the erratic form, expectations for next season and about potential departures.

Remember - when things were very bad last season; Ashton didn’t want to speak to Geoff. Johnson is fronting up and going on the show, takes some guts to do that.

I doubt callers will be able to speak to LJ directly. It's a pretty safe environment for him.  Of course theyll be a few tough Qs but LJ ain't stupid and will be prepared for them. 

Let's be honest LJ tends to come across well in these interviews and the club will have weighed the above things up and concluded this was a good opportunity to set the record straight on a few issues.

I know we knew it already but him appearing on this would cement the fact that he ain't going anywhere. If he were off then I doubt the club or he would bother doing the interview talking about what happened this season and what will happen next season. Unless SL has someone lined up on the QT!.....some of us can hope! 

Archived