IGNORED

Johnson on sound of the city with twentyman

I thought it was a very reasonable interview and I thought Geoff T did press him on some issues, such as the signing of a new keeper.  Of course Lee isn’t going to announce his retained list or his transfer targets on the radio, but I thought he gave enough information as to what is likely to happen in the summer.  What came over to me, yet again, is that we are in a different sub-League within the Championship, and quite rightly so, and the club is trying to build something sustainable rather than just gambling a lot of money on short-term success.  

I’d like to have learned more about the older ‘youngsters’ - Vyner, Morrell, O’Leary - and no mention of Taylor Moore, who has become the forgotten man.  Enough there to make me look forward to next season though, in a league that will include West Brom, Stoke, Swansea and three of Villa, Fulham, Middlesbrough and Derby.  That’s a very strong league, full of clubs that will be able to afford players we could only dream of.  If we’re competing again next season, we’ll be doing very well.

7 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

One thing that did hit home for me is we have no plans or structure to deal with the arrival of foreign players.  That really is poor. Surely a visit to a top side could supply the answers needed.  Instead our only answer is appointing a linguist.  

I find LJ's voice and choice of words stultifying.  God knows what the likes of an experienced overseas player like Pisano make of it.

The question is why because it was identified as a issue when Kodjia signed - hell he even got lost on the way tot he ground for his first game. The club really is a shambles sometimes.

It didn’t go well and not surprised. But if a weird time to do an interview as generally bad feeling and nothing positive to be able to focus on yet.

I’m surprised our head of media okayed the interview at this point in the season... oh wait....

Just now, B-Rizzle said:

It didn’t go well and not surprised. But if a weird time to do an interview as generally bad feeling and nothing positive to be able to focus on yet.

I’m surprised our head of media okayed the interview at this point in the season... oh wait....

To be fair LJ would have been crucified if he hadn't appeared.  He did the best thing, turn up a face the questions.  And then duck them apart from the obvious about Diony.

1 minute ago, B-Rizzle said:

Probably had her hands full, allegedly! :whistle:

Additional thoughts -

- I "enjoyed" LJ's explanation of specifically training the team on communication as a solution to the meltdown against Hull - there was something very comedy about him describing an SAS role play scenario for clear lines of communication, in a manner he couldn't communicate very well himself. It's a well known team training exercise, but footballers are a simple lot, it might not be communication that's the problem Lee, but the message itself. 

- Others have commented on the remark blaming Ashton Gate atmosphere re: Kent, which I thought was pretty brazen for someone who wouldn't even apportion a shred of blame to a single person at the club throughout the interview over our record on signings, but I did like his comment of Kent "the fans were expecting a different type of player". Too right we were! The mind boggles on the level of excuses rolled out in relation to our signings.

- Eliasson. I think the strongest possible hint that he will be out on loan next season then but in England. Christ if I was a Westcountry League One team I wouldn't bother to buy players, I'd just bung agents around Europe to sell us expensive young players that they can then enjoy the use of for years to come. Yet another example of feedback LJ gave in the interview which was totally at odds with separately congratulating he/MA/City's recruitment. 

- The whole pitch view discussion - am I supposed to believe that he really couldn't see the position of Bobby Reid or Millwall's centre backs at the Den? I know LJ is small but that is ridiculous - we were all over the bloody shop that day and Bobby ended up dropping back out to deep positions on the flanks to compete. He couldn't see that? FFS. If you listened carefully LJ threw in a subtle dig at Bobby for his execution of instructions that day too.

The blame is there if you listen carefully, but none of it is being accepted by those in charge. True leaders are accountable. Draw your own conclusions.

10 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

They usually get to know what positions we are trying to strengthen when we make an enquiry for a player !!!!!!!!!

And then the crafty sods put the bloody price up....

20 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

One thing that did hit home for me is we have no plans or structure to deal with the arrival of foreign players.  That really is poor. Surely a visit to a top side could supply the answers needed.  Instead our only answer is appointing a linguist.  

I find LJ's voice and choice of words stultifying.  God knows what the likes of an experienced overseas player like Pisano make of it.

A once regler now not so regler French speaking poster on here of my acquaintance emailed Jon boy L in 2015 to offer his linguistic assistance when it became known that Kodjia was struggling with the anglo-saxon and got lost on his way to AG for the Brentford game. The response was "we're alright, thanks. All in hand here."

43 minutes ago, Spoons said:

Yes and he's off for a 6 month loan to a English club next season.

See response to. BBSB’s post below

16 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

I’ve posted several times that Lyon set up a whole team to support their incoming foreigners.  They realised they’d spent a lot of money on the Brazilian Sonny Anderson, and wanted to make sure he didn’t flop.  They did everything for him, house hunting the lot.  They had success so for a good while only signed Brazilians because they had a winning formula.  Drogba when he went to Chelsea was left to his own devices, had no idea even how to get to the training ground and bought a flat in completely the wrong part of London.  No wonder it took him a season to settle.  

How true was the rumour that Kodjia had to flag down some fans to get to the ground for his home debut, because he had no idea how to get to the ground....only been to Failand previously.

15 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Eliasson clearly not the player (Certainly at this time) that Lee claimed he was , when we spent £2m on him

So the player signed for £1.8m, who would be ready as soon as he learned the defensive triggers and positioning, ain’t gonna be ready TIL January 2019.  So his good is your coaching Lee?  If it’s as good as I hoped, then it proves the recruitment is shit.

What do people expect from this?

’....... yeah I’m crap and don’t know what I’m doing’

’...... yeah I am milking the club for everything I can get’

’........ I knew Diony was a dud but signed him anyway’

’........ I thought Diony was brilliant - but that shows I know nothing about football’

or

’...... I made some mistakes but I will learn from them’

one of those answers is predictable - the rest are wrong. 

He will still get slated for stating the predictable one though. 

4 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

A once regler now not so regler French speaking poster on here of my acquaintance emailed Jon boy L in 2015 to offer his linguistic assistance when it became known that Kodjia was struggling with the anglo-saxon and got lost on his way to AG for the Brentford game. The response was "we're alright, thanks. All in hand here."

They already had Del Boy on board as the French translator - mange tout!

6 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Enough there to make me look forward to next season though, in a league that will include West Brom, Stoke, Swansea and three of Villa, Fulham, Middlesbrough and Derby.  That’s a very strong league, full of clubs that will be able to afford players we could only dream of.  If we’re competing again next season, we’ll be doing very well.

I hear what you're saying, and I admire that you got more out of the interview than I did - but were you not at least slightly frustrated by the lack of any explanation for how we will compete? I'm not sure any of the clubs you mention would necessarily be spending £2m on young players to be loaned out (LJ hinted at another in the interview), and our intended spend on Diony (no explanation) would be in the ball park all those clubs will be spending.

So while what you say is true, surely we deserve some clarification on how we're going to better use our resources against those teams, given LJ has gone through the interview on the one hand excusing or deflecting these chronic wastes of money and low impact investments, while on the other hand throwing in excuses about inability to financially compete. At the very least it's a disconnect that was not addressed, so not sure how you're upbeat!

Your last line above is how I feel too, but the difference is, I was hoping for even basic insight and evidence from the interview of how we'll do that?

20 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I thought it was a very reasonable interview and I thought Geoff T did press him on some issues, such as the signing of a new keeper.  Of course Lee isn’t going to announce his retained list or his transfer targets on the radio, but I thought he gave enough information as to what is likely to happen in the summer.  What came over to me, yet again, is that we are in a different sub-League within the Championship, and quite rightly so, and the club is trying to build something sustainable rather than just gambling a lot of money on short-term success.  

I’d like to have learned more about the older ‘youngsters’ - Vyner, Morrell, O’Leary - and no mention of Taylor Moore, who has become the forgotten man.  Enough there to make me look forward to next season though, in a league that will include West Brom, Stoke, Swansea and three of Villa, Fulham, Middlesbrough and Derby.  That’s a very strong league, full of clubs that will be able to afford players we could only dream of.  If we’re competing again next season, we’ll be doing very well.

Not expecting the relegated teams to put up much of a challenge next season unless something drastic happens. 

16 minutes ago, Olé said:

- Others have commented on the remark blaming Ashton Gate atmosphere re: Kent, which I thought was pretty brazen for someone who wouldn't even apportion a shred of blame to a single person at the club throughout the interview over our record on signings, but I did like his comment of Kent "the fans were expecting a different type of player". Too right we were! The mind boggles on the level of excuses rolled out in relation to our signings.

- Eliasson. I think the strongest possible hint that he will be out on loan next season then but in England. Christ if I was a Westcountry League One team I wouldn't bother to buy players, I'd just bung agents around Europe to sell us expensive young players that they can then enjoy the use of for years to come. Yet another example of feedback LJ gave in the interview which was totally at odds with separately congratulating he/MA/City's recruitment. 

- The whole pitch view discussion - am I supposed to believe that he really couldn't see the position of Bobby Reid or Millwall's centre backs at the Den? I know LJ is small but that is ridiculous - we were all over the bloody shop that day and Bobby ended up dropping back out to deep positions on the flanks to compete. He couldn't see that? FFS. If you listened carefully LJ threw in a subtle dig at Bobby for his execution of instructions that day too.

The blame is there if you listen carefully, but none of it is being accepted by those in charge. True leaders are accountable. Draw your own conclusions.

39 minutes ago, Olé said:

The storyline on recruitment was embarrassing, talk about cognitive dissonance - 

"Mistakes Were Made (But Not By Me)." As someone called it yesterday. Can't think who. 

What summed it up and LJ for me was

LJ tells GT that he is making a presentation to SL on Weds re the way forward

GT sensibly asks what the plan is

The answer ‘Progression Geoff’

Thats not an answer Lee 

Try politics Prather than football

Dont think GT is convinced by him one iota

15 minutes ago, Olé said:

Additional thoughts -

- I "enjoyed" LJ's explanation of specifically training the team on communication as a solution to the meltdown against Hull - there was something very comedy about him describing an SAS role play scenario for clear lines of communication, in a manner he couldn't communicate very well himself. It's a well known team training exercise, but footballers are a simple lot, it might not be communication that's the problem Lee, but the message itself. 

I'm not saying LJ is necessarily right here, but pitches arent always completely flat.

IIRC Murray once said ours has (had) such a camber that from the position of one corner flag, you'd hardly see much of a person stood at the corner flag of the other side of the pitch.

(Theres actually an interview with one of our groundsman about this from before the Man City game, though it doesnt say how dramatic the camber is)

Again, not saying LJ has a point or anything, but I suspect there probably are moments (not extended periods) where it is tough to see exact positions of people- especially if you do struggle vertically.

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

So the player signed for £1.8m, who would be ready as soon as he learned the defensive triggers and positioning, ain’t gonna be ready TIL January 2019.  So his good is your coaching Lee?  If it’s as good as I hoped, then it proves the recruitment is shit.

Nutshell Dave. It's this kind of disconnect that really infuriated me about that interview. Talking up, deflecting and/or making excuses in parallel for the different possible causes of failure until the implication is there is no failure - or at least not one anyone is prepared to explain.

I do understand the mentality of self-preservation but it treats us all as idiots when it leave conclusions such as yours above, unanswered.

47 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I’ve posted several times that Lyon set up a whole team to support their incoming foreigners.  They realised they’d spent a lot of money on the Brazilian Sonny Anderson, and wanted to make sure he didn’t flop.  They did everything for him, house hunting the lot.  They had success so for a good while only signed Brazilians because they had a winning formula.  Drogba when he went to Chelsea was left to his own devices, had no idea even how to get to the training ground and bought a flat in completely the wrong part of London.  No wonder it took him a season to settle.  

How true was the rumour that Kodjia had to flag down some fans to get to the ground for his home debut, because he had no idea how to get to the ground....only been to Failand previously.

With our turnover and number of staff at Bristol Sport I find it incredible - 2-3 years after signing foreign players we think we might need a infrastructure to help them (Like after 2 1/2 seasons he realises we need leaders)

I find it incredible he’s only recently realised that Pisano struggles to commipunicate because his English in gpfootball terms is crap and none of the coaches speak any languages

All the prem Clubs have support pre planned for a foreign player , simple things like they provide a player with a SAT NAV (Programmed in their native language) with his accommodation , Stadium , train8ng ground , restaurants etc already put on them 

Not rocket science is it

6 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

"Mistakes Were Made (But Not By Me)." As someone called it yesterday. Can't think who. 

I added that book on my Kindle when first mentioned yesterday and look forward to reading it - thank you! :thumbsup:

45 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Engvall a case in point.

24 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

He claimed our recruitment infrastructure was good !!!!!

:laughcont:

:bonkers:

:laughcont:

I I did choke when GT asked him about the biggest lesson he’s learnt this season he went off talking about his work / life balance

:blink:

Well Lee unless you learn a few more things , and quickly.  you’re work life balance won’t  be an isssue

6 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

LJ tells GT that he is making a presentation to SL on Weds re the way forward

GT sensibly asks what the plan is

The answer ‘Progression Geoff’

That was the exact same exchange I tried to highlight in my first post following the end of the interview - you've summarised it more neatly.

I think GT then said shot back at him along the lines, surely SL has got to back you even more (i.e. if you want progression no good presenting a plan to do/spend the same as usual). It was the moment LJ was most exposed, spin was being challenged for precision, and there was no substance.

Agree with your view of GT too - I don't think he's convinced either, you can tell when he doesn't feel he's had an answer because he uses that moving swiftly along tone "right, right" or "Ok-ay." that he's used for years with idiotic post-match callers too. Was in effect more than a few times today.

Archived