IGNORED

Johnson on sound of the city with twentyman

1 minute ago, Olé said:

That was the exact same exchange I tried to highlight in my first post following the end of the interview - you've summarised it more neatly.

I think GT then said shot back at him along the lines, surely SL has got to back you even more (i.e. if you want progression no good presenting a plan to do/spend the same as usual). It was the moment LJ was most exposed, spin was being challenged for precision, and there was no substance.

Agree with your view of GT too - I don't think he's convinced either, you can tell when he doesn't feel he's had an answer because he uses that moving swiftly along tone "right, right" or "Ok-ay." that he's used for years with idiotic post-match callers too. Was in effect more than a few times today.

Not sure if the choke at what the plan is or the stupid talk about wanting to watch from the stand , and holding a fans poll , was the ‘highlight’

:grr::grr:

8 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

With our turnover and number of staff at Bristol Sport I find it incredible - 2-3 years after signing foreign players we think we might need a infrastructure to help them

I find it incredible he’s only recently realised that Pisano struggles to commipunicate because his English in gpfootball terms is crap and none of the coaches speak any languages

All the prem Clubs have support pre planned for a foreign player , simple things like they provide a player with a SAT NAV with his accommodation , Stadium , train8ng ground , restaurants etc already put on them 

Not rocket science is it

Tbf, Pisano's Mrs is part American and she speaks English.

I know for a fact that she asked about for local shops etc and it was our own @Dollymarie that warned her of the horrors awaiting should she visit Asda Bemmy!

23 hours ago, DT The Optimist said:

I hope there well be an opportunity for a 'phone in' as i am sure there will,  but if 'Twentystone 'has the same quality interview as he did with SL no need for 'us' to ask LJ the pertinent questions.

If I get the chance i would ask him if he agreed with SL comments, to quote,  that we 'lost our way' and 'blundered along' and 'over complicated things' ! 

Ironically today I was out and about and ended up sitting next to a chap in a 'Reading AFC'  shirt in a cafe.  Had a great chat with him about the Championship. He moaned and groaned about his teams football this season under the 'Stam'. sideways, backwards, sideways, backwards.  'Tippy Tappy' and no end product !   Loads possession and no shots on goal !  Sounds familiar?   He yearned for the Coppell era,  down the wing, great cross and a goal !     

Game has changed... That approach would IMO be found out in the Championship in a lot of cases- 10 years, Championship has changed a lot.

Lots of foreign managers, foreign players- influence of more sophisticated setups by likes of Neil, Smith, Wilder..4-3-3 at Cardiff and Middlesbrough- albeit with vastly different emphasis of approach.

4-4-2? Wouldn't succeed with that IMO. Championship in Coppell's time was very different, less sophistication and variety of tactics to put it honestly.

1 minute ago, Septic Peg said:

Tbf, Pisano's Mrs is part American and she speaks English.

I know for a fact that she asked about for local shops etc and it was our own @Dollymarie that warned her of the horrors awaiting should she visit Asda Bemmy!

That’s nice Peg

:D

Shame , As LJ highlighted , they havnt managed to work out how Pisano can warn his teammates  or understand the expression ‘Man On’ for example , during matches 

Not that , that’s important 

:blink:

(I don’t think Italians would venture within 3 miles of Asda !!!! Btw)

:laughcont:

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

That bit about Pisano was astonishing- can't speak the language properly- due diligence.

Or , if you go ahead , have a plan as to how to deal with it 

Employ a translator to have at training ground for a few weeks / months 

Surely it can’t be too difficult to teach him basic football soundbites

:grr: 

Just listened to the interview again

Sorry if it upsets a few but more and more LJ comes across as an excited teenager playing Championship Manager and fumbling , experimenting as he goes

I was going to say ‘and learning’ but I don’t see much if any evidence of that

26 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

With our turnover and number of staff at Bristol Sport I find it incredible - 2-3 years after signing foreign players we think we might need a infrastructure to help them (Like after 2 1/2 seasons he realises we need leaders)

I find it incredible he’s only recently realised that Pisano struggles to commipunicate because his English in gpfootball terms is crap and none of the coaches speak any languages

All the prem Clubs have support pre planned for a foreign player , simple things like they provide a player with a SAT NAV with his accommodation , Stadium , train8ng ground , restaurants etc already put on them 

Not rocket science is it

And Bristol International Airport!! 

59 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I thought it was a very reasonable interview and I thought Geoff T did press him on some issues, such as the signing of a new keeper.  Of course Lee isn’t going to announce his retained list or his transfer targets on the radio, but I thought he gave enough information as to what is likely to happen in the summer.  What came over to me, yet again, is that we are in a different sub-League within the Championship, and quite rightly so, and the club is trying to build something sustainable rather than just gambling a lot of money on short-term success.  

I’d like to have learned more about the older ‘youngsters’ - Vyner, Morrell, O’Leary - and no mention of Taylor Moore, who has become the forgotten man.  Enough there to make me look forward to next season though, in a league that will include West Brom, Stoke, Swansea and three of Villa, Fulham, Middlesbrough and Derby.  That’s a very strong league, full of clubs that will be able to afford players we could only dream of.  If we’re competing again next season, we’ll be doing very well.

You can add Garita and Hinds to the forgotten men list

1 minute ago, David Brent said:

Can she play right back? And does she understand ‘man on’?

You'll have to ask her yourself... she's on Twitter. 

As for man on, I'm sure she does but for Pisano's benefit...

Man on!: avvertimento lanciato dai giocatori (e dai fan) a un compagno di squadra con la palla per avvertirlo della presenza di un giocatore avversario dietro di lui. ... Marcatura: strategia difensiva, volta a impedire a un attaccante di ricevere la palla da un compagno di squadra.

34 minutes ago, Olé said:

I hear what you're saying, and I admire that you got more out of the interview than I did - but were you not at least slightly frustrated by the lack of any explanation for how we will compete? I'm not sure any of the clubs you mention would necessarily be spending £2m on young players to be loaned out (LJ hinted at another in the interview), and our intended spend on Diony (no explanation) would be in the ball park all those clubs will be spending.

So while what you say is true, surely we deserve some clarification on how we're going to better use our resources against those teams, given LJ has gone through the interview on the one hand excusing or deflecting these chronic wastes of money and low impact investments, while on the other hand throwing in excuses about inability to financially compete. At the very least it's a disconnect that was not addressed, so not sure how you're upbeat!

Your last line above is how I feel too, but the difference is, I was hoping for even basic insight and evidence from the interview of how we'll do that?

You know what you’re going to get from this sort of interview but, that said, I got enough to give me hope of another enjoyable season.  

I don’t think Diony would have been anything like as expensive as you’ve suggested.  I suspect St Etienne would have slashed his price to get rid, and you can see why.  The bloke looked bereft of confidence and looked like an onfield nervous breakdown waiting to happen.  But we’re in that segment where you’re looking for something unexpected so you’re bound to gamble, and some of them won’t pay off, especially in the January window.

I’ve always thought the injury situation had a more profound effect than some were prepared to accept, and I buy that as a major factor in our second half performances.  I bought the theories about the defensive collapses and what needs to be done and I was also excited by the prospect of up to ten youngsters having a serious future with us.

Look, I understand some of the frustrations expressed on here, but for me it comes down to having an owner who is prepared to back us; a young manager who is highly thought-of by people within the business and who believes in the club; and some developing young players who may have a real future in the game.  If it takes us another three or four seasons to get to the Premiership, then I’d take that if we continue to be entertained and I can find somewhere to park the bl**dy car next season.

1 minute ago, Septic Peg said:

Man on!: avvertimento lanciato dai giocatori (e dai fan) a un compagno di squadra con la palla per avvertirlo della presenza di un giocatore avversario dietro di lui. ... Marcatura: strategia difensiva, volta a impedire a un attaccante di ricevere la palla da un compagno di squadra.

Bloody hell

No wonder if he’s trying to warn Baker there’s a forward behind him it’s all too late by the time he blurts that out

:chant6ez:

7 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

Your Italian grammar is shocking.

Probably

On 13/05/2018 at 19:12, JoeAman08 said:

He is a bit annoying with that. The boys need love. The other team had towels to dry ball off. The fans were wrong for booing. Would be refreshing if he just came out and said the boys struggled after a great first half of the season and I just couldn’t figure out how to turn it back around but that is where I need to keep improving as a manager. 

Never happen but a bit of self criticism and being a bit humble think would go a long was with many fans. Think most get he is a young manager but sometimes he comes across as smug and thinking he is more clever than anyone in the stadium. 

8 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Thought GT did a decent job. He tried to be as forceful as he could to get proper answers from Johnson. A few interesting things, but he understandably couldn't go into too much detail on certain questions.

Yes. Bit of a waste of time really. We know LJ will not tell us if or where he cocked up. Few in football do this. And clubs - all clubs - in general present all the favourable stuff, and do everything they can to prevent us knowing where and when they are culpable. 

That said, Geoff's interviews with SL last season were excellent.

35 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

That bit about Pisano was astonishing- can't speak the language properly- due diligence.

I'm taking that one with a pinch of salt. And a glug of single estate extra virgin olive oil.

29 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

This gets me as well didn't lee meet pisano last summer outside the sport bar surely lee knew the language barrier etc and with rest of overseas players ...seems like another excuse me

Archived