IGNORED

Johnson on sound of the city with twentyman

Test : Do I feel more or less confident about next season?  Decidedly less I am afraid.  Fancy saying in the pool we are fishing for players, i.e. non Championship proven, we are bound to make mistakes. 

Sorry but feel this club is still being run in an amateur way. 

All about getting in your excuses before the season begins

57 minutes ago, hodge said:

Not expecting the relegated teams to put up much of a challenge next season unless something drastic happens. 

Depends on how well they spend £55m on top of their normal income.  They might wanna take a look at Hull as an example of how not to do it in 2017, but perhaps look at how Hull improved in 2018, under Adkins.  Don’t appoint a Slutskhy, appoint an Adkins.

50 minutes ago, Olé said:

Nutshell Dave. It's this kind of disconnect that really infuriated me about that interview. Talking up, deflecting and/or making excuses in parallel for the different possible causes of failure until the implication is there is no failure - or at least not one anyone is prepared to explain.

I do understand the mentality of self-preservation but it treats us all as idiots when it leave conclusions such as yours above, unanswered.

First bit of season 2018/19 feedback since my clean slate post.  I haven’t heard it yet (will listen later), but as no-one is saying you’re taking it all out of context, then most on here are unimpressed.  Not a good start.

49 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

With our turnover and number of staff at Bristol Sport I find it incredible - 2-3 years after signing foreign players we think we might need a infrastructure to help them (Like after 2 1/2 seasons he realises we need leaders)

I find it incredible he’s only recently realised that Pisano struggles to commipunicate because his English in gpfootball terms is crap and none of the coaches speak any languages

All the prem Clubs have support pre planned for a foreign player , simple things like they provide a player with a SAT NAV (Programmed in their native language) with his accommodation , Stadium , train8ng ground , restaurants etc already put on them 

Not rocket science is it

She speaks fluent Italian, and maybe he relies on her Italian too much.

39 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

Tbf, Pisano's Mrs is part American and she speaks English.

I know for a fact that she asked about for local shops etc and it was our own @Dollymarie that warned her of the horrors awaiting should she visit Asda Bemmy!

Plus me and Dolls gave her some broadband advice when she first moved into their place in Leigh Woods.  The club should be bending over backwards to provide support to all players moving into the area, Italian or not.

Some more for Eros Lee

Frankie ha perso le sue mani      (Frankie has lost his hands)

Wtf è Diony facendo del passo. (wtf Is Diony doing on the pitch)

L'adesivo non sembrano conoscere che cosa sta facendo (The gaffer doesn’t seem to know what he’s doing)

Chi è lo spiv bullshitter in tuta (who Is the Spiv  bullshitter in the suit)

:preacher:

:thumbsup:

#JOBFORBOB

58 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

With our turnover and number of staff at Bristol Sport I find it incredible - 2-3 years after signing foreign players we think we might need a infrastructure to help them (Like after 2 1/2 seasons he realises we need leaders)

I find it incredible he’s only recently realised that Pisano struggles to commipunicate because his English in gpfootball terms is crap and none of the coaches speak any languages

All the prem Clubs have support pre planned for a foreign player , simple things like they provide a player with a SAT NAV (Programmed in their native language) with his accommodation , Stadium , train8ng ground , restaurants etc already put on them 

Not rocket science is it

It's the little things like this, that make a huge difference when a player comes in and is trying to settle quickly BBSB.

When I've said in the past that our infrastructure at the Club has been poor, and we have been run like an Amateur outfit, it's this type of thing that fits in that phrase.

It's simple...and like you said, not rocket science.

Our Club pays peanuts for the majority of it's staff...you pay peanuts, you get monkeys.

If SL wants to progress, he needs to pay more money, not play at being a football owner.

It doesn't come under FFP...so stop playing around SL.

Trying to do well on the cheap in the infrastructure will get you no where.

And if it were me...get rid of your son at the Club.

1 minute ago, spudski said:

It's the little things like this, that make a huge difference when a player comes in and is trying to settle quickly BBSB.

When I've said in the past that our infrastructure at the Club has been poor, and we have been run like an Amateur outfit, it's this type of thing that fits in that phrase.

It's simple...and like you said, not rocket science.

Our Club pays peanuts for the majority of it's staff...you pay peanuts, you get monkeys.

If SL wants to progress, he needs to pay more money, not play at being a football owner.

It doesn't come under FFP...so stop playing around SL.

Trying to do well on the cheap in the infrastructure will get you no where.

And if it were me...get rid of your son at the Club.

And I’m afraid ,listening to that interview we still are sadly

Frightening tbh

1 minute ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Frightening tbh

In the big picture of things, it would cost relatively nothing to employ a person who's sole responsibility is to look after the new signings needs.

The first thing that comes in to anyone's head, is how can I help our new signing settle quickly.

If they haven't thought about that, then god help us all....that is a basic.

And following this admission we have not the slightest clue how to go about integrating foreign players in

Id suggest it wasn’t  the best idea to sign Scandinavians, French , Italian, German , A Serb

All in 18 months 

............. never mind as Lee said regarding the infrastructure ‘Marks working on it’

• And we spent two weeks of a crunch part of the season working on .......communication :grr:

1 hour ago, Ivorguy said:

One thing that did hit home for me is we have no plans or structure to deal with the arrival of foreign players.  That really is poor. Surely a visit to a top side could supply the answers needed.  Instead our only answer is appointing a linguist.  

I find LJ's voice and choice of words stultifying.  God knows what the likes of an experienced overseas player like Pisano make of it.

I’ll tell you what is even more incredible.

A sometime poster on here (who @Jack Dawe & @Merrick's Marvels know well), with a degree in French offered to help Kodjia settle in but was told by JL (for the benefit of Robbored, that IS NOT LJ) “no thanks we have it covered”.

It subsequently transpired that he couldn’t really communicate with team mates and as we all know, was left to find his own way to Ashton Gate for the first home game of the season, got lost and had to ask supporters the way.

You rather get the impression we haven’t in any way learned from this shambles..

8 minutes ago, spudski said:

In the big picture of things, it would cost relatively nothing to employ a person who's sole responsibility is to look after the new signings needs.

The first thing that comes in to anyone's head, is how can I help our new signing settle quickly.

If they haven't thought about that, then god help us all....that is a basic.

This is what I don’t get

if you’re stupid enough to sign foreign players without the preparation or thought re welfare / support / problems

We at least surely learnt that with Engvall ,but still have no infrastructure TWO AND A HALF YEARS ON

Wtf Does Ashton do for his extortionate wage ?

On the subject of Engvall , having pointed out previously of the problem of Scandinavians adapting to the Championship he THEN signs Eliasson for £1.8m (Whose good in seven a side btw) and then repeats the same stuff about Eliasson

Unbelievable

he obviously didn’t learn much ,or the righ5 things , when he was hanging around Man City’s complex

3 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Frightening tbh

I'm not "buying" that one. I'm sensing bullsh1t on that one. Deflection. A smoke screen. After Kodjia, are we really expected to buy this? Or were we only "set up" for French speaking johnny foreigners?

If we had overlooked this 2 years on from Kodjia, then we are in the hands of cretins. People not fit for purpose.

I see this as LJ knowing he will be asked about the losing run and knowing he has to "give" GT something, and so he finds something that doesn't expose himself tactically or "on the field" as it were, this one is a non-football failure, and non-specific to any one member of staff, so without GT pinning him down, who is responsible for this supposed oversight? Adam Baker??

4 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

A sometime poster on here (who @Jack Dawe & @Merrick's Marvels know well), with a degree in French offered to help Kodjia settle in but was told by JL (for the benefit of Robbored, that IS NOT LJ) and was told “no thanks we have it covered”.

It subsequently transpired that he couldn’t really communicate with team mates and as we all know, was left to find his own way to Ashton Gate for the first home game of the season, got lost and had to ask supporters the way.

You rather get the impression we haven’t in any way learned from this shambles..

I was about to post the exact same thing GC. An offer was made and flatly refused. Once again, a sign of JL’s incompetence. The list is long. 

No wonder many of our foreigners continue to struggle when no attention is paid to their integration. I mean, **** me, how can we go half a season without players understanding basic on-field shouts. It beggars belief. 

7 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

A sometime poster on here (who @Jack Dawe & @Merrick's Marvels know well), with a degree in French offered to help Kodjia settle in but was told by JL (for the benefit of Robbored, that IS NOT LJ) and was told “no thanks we have it covered”.

He's fluent in eye-talian, too! 

1 minute ago, Jack Dawe said:

He's fluent in eye-talian, too! 

:mafia:

I’ve got that covered Jack

17 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Some more for Eros Lee

Frankie ha perso le sue mani      (Frankie has lost his hands)

Wtf è Diony facendo del passo. (wtf Is Diony doing on the pitch)

L'adesivo non sembrano conoscere che cosa sta facendo (The gaffer doesn’t seem to know what he’s doing)

Chi è lo spiv bullshitter in tuta (who Is the Spiv  bullshitter in the suit)

:preacher:

:thumbsup:

#JOBFORBOB

I

2 hours ago, Olé said:

Hot take I'm completely underwhelmed by it.

Everything about the past deflected, everything about the future amplified, but no explanation what changes from one to the other.

After the way the season fell apart, I was hoping for at least one revelation or unexpected account of things, but absolutely nothing.

Not sure how we're supposed to understand what will be corrected when he's gone big on overstating praise while deflecting issues.

Huge amount of weasel words, every answer started boldly, then quickly threw in an excuse for why it can and will go wrong again.

• Our recruitment process was fine! (but we can't deal with foreigners)
  • We will keep our best players! (but there is a lot of interest in Joe and Bobby)
  • SL always backs me! (but we can't actually compete on market rates)
  • We do need a leader! (but look at all my players I might have one already) 

Lot to chew over but the bit which has stood out most to me was when Geoff pulled LJ up on a remark about SL backing "his plan".

Need to hear it again but LJ had just rattled off excuses about inability to compete, then tried to spin SL backing more of the same.

Typical of Twentyman he was spot on in quickly challenging the disconnect between LJ's excuses and then doing the same thing.

Didn't hear a convincing clarification from LJ. It was like pulling a thread on a cheap suit - good microcosm of the whole interview.

The storyline on recruitment was embarrassing, talk about cognitive dissonance - over an hour of questions and all over the place.

On reflection this was probably a pointless exercise. Was always going to deflect a lot, but I hoped we'd get some plan for change.

Not heard it yet but sounds like he's learning a lot from Ashton. 

4 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

I'm not "buying" that one. I'm sensing bullsh1t on that one. Deflection. A smoke screen. After Kodjia, are we really expected to buy this? Or were we only "set up" for French speaking johnny foreigners?

If we had overlooked this 2 years on from Kodjia, then we are in the hands of cretins. People not fit for purpose.

I see this as LJ knowing he will be asked about the losing run and knowing he has to "give" GT something, and so he finds something that doesn't expose himself tactically or "on the field" as it were, this one is a non-football failure, and non-specific to any one member of staff, so without GT pinning him down, who is responsible for this supposed oversight? Adam Baker??

‘Forgot’  about Kodja

:facepalm:

THREE YEARS since we signed him

Total Incompetence 

1 hour ago, JamesBCFC said:

I'm not saying LJ is necessarily right here, but pitches arent always completely flat.

IIRC Murray once said ours has (had) such a camber that from the position of one corner flag, you'd hardly see much of a person stood at the corner flag of the other side of the pitch.

(Theres actually an interview with one of our groundsman about this from before the Man City game, though it doesnt say how dramatic the camber is)

Again, not saying LJ has a point or anything, but I suspect there probably are moments (not extended periods) where it is tough to see exact positions of people- especially if you do struggle vertically.

I’m giving this post a new emoji. It’s a “wow, **** me sideways” emoji. 

Given your argument that size is relative to view of the pitch, and thus has potential to impact the managers tactical understanding of the game, does this give much more credence to the term :

Johnson Out - Midget

? Just asking like. ? 

55 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Just listened to the interview again

Sorry if it upsets a few but more and more LJ comes across as an excited teenager playing Championship Manager and fumbling , experimenting as he goes

I was going to say ‘and learning’ but I don’t see much if any evidence of that

Totally agree. All the tinkering etc. Playing Walsh and dropping pack v Brentford is evidence of that plus playing joe right back . I honestly don’t think there’s one fan who would dropped pack for that game. I’ve said it before, he knows his jobs safe and he tries to be too clever thinking he’s pep . He hasn’t learned a thing from the bad run last season imo and with his comments tonight on signings saying he’s happy with the recruitment is just laughable. Long hard season ahead imo

The scary thing is that it confirms we are not learning.

Failure. Analyse. Fix. Apply. 

Failure. Repeat. Failure. Repeat.

We seem to consistently opt for the second approach - madness. Amateur at best and rapidly losing the faith.

Does anyone really think we are not going to be anything other than consistently, inconsistent next season?

We need some ‘old - been there/done that- heads’ on/off the pitch, and quick.

1 minute ago, Harry said:

I’m giving this post a new emoji. It’s a “wow, **** me sideways” emoji. 

Given your argument that size is relative to view of the pitch, and thus has potential to impact the managers tactical understanding of the game, does this give much more credence to the term :

Johnson Out - Midget

? Just asking like. ? 

I wasnt saying its a valid excuse for Johnson.

Simply that being not able to see where a player is- at specific moments, not in extended periods- is something that will happen from time to time.

Of course, you can continue to read what you want to read if that suits you and turn this into me saying "Johnsons height means he has a tactical disadvantage" but it would be extremely dishonest of you to do so.

3 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

I wasnt saying its a valid excuse for Johnson.

Simply that being not able to see where a player is- at specific moments, not in extended periods- is something that will happen from time to time.

Of course, you can continue to read what you want to read if that suits you and turn this into me saying "Johnsons height means he has a tactical disadvantage" but it would be extremely dishonest of you to do so.

It was just a little joke, prescious. 

4 minutes ago, Harry said:

It was just a little joke, prescious. 

It’s actually relevant tho Harry

His height does mean he will suffer more because of the camber of pitches compared to say MM

That means his giggling response to GTs very good q about pitchsie or watching from a higher position is even more relevant

Ive managed at county level and even then at places like Clevedon , Melksham  etc would sit at the back of their little stands for first 20mins or so and at some points during the game

35 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

All about getting in your excuses before the season begins

I know you have a reputation for being particularly down on LJ & co, but you captured very well here what's nagging at me from that interview.

I was struck by the number of times Johnson had an answer, but still felt the need to add in an excuse too - I listed a few in my first response.

He gave himself an out with every answer. There was no substantive confidence in answers - just deflection and room to excuse future failure.

That's probably the worst takeaway. No lines were drawn, no new targets of expectations set. LJ's narrative epitomises City's soft underbelly.

Always looks to create a storyline that reduces expectations, accepts failure. Why couldn't we be bold? Smaller more limited clubs manage it.

4 minutes ago, Olé said:

I know you have a reputation for being particularly down on LJ & co, but you captured very well here what's nagging at me from that interview.

I was struck by the number of times Johnson had an answer, but still felt the need to add in an excuse too - I listed a few in my first response.

He gave himself an out with every answer. There was no substantive confidence in answers - just deflection and room to excuse future failure.

That's probably the worst takeaway. No lines were drawn, no new targets of expectations set. LJ's narrative epitomises City's soft underbelly.

Always looks to create a storyline that reduces expectations, accepts failure. Why couldn't we be bold? Smaller more limited clubs manage it.

I have a feeling he may well have been strongly briefed for this one. 

6 minutes ago, Olé said:

Spot on Rob

Btw - In  case you hadn’t manage to keep up Diony now posts regular videos of him driving round Bordeaux , and a bizarre one of his feet in a swimming pool :dunno:

(In case you were worried)

Well that was ******* shit.

Spin, In a word. Never heard GT say "ye-ah" as many times as that interview. He's not impressed and that is totally expected. 

The Jack Marriott comment was the most annoying for me: "We're talking 4 or 5 million for an unproven player in the Championship". Wasn't our model to buy in unproven players from the lower leagues? And didn't we spend MORE than 4 or 5 million on the Senegalese God last year? Total bollocks.

Mark Ashton it would also appear is in charge of foreign recruitment. Says it all doesn't it?

Archived