IGNORED

Johnson on sound of the city with twentyman

8 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

Well that was ******* shit.

Spin, In a word. Never heard GT say "ye-ah" as many times as that interview. He's not impressed and that is totally expected. 

The Jack Marriott comment was the most annoying for me: "We're talking 4 or 5 million for an unproven player in the Championship". Wasn't our model to buy in unproven players from the lower leagues? And didn't we spend MORE than 4 or 5 million on the Senegalese God last year? Total bollocks.

Mark Ashton it would also appear is in charge of foreign recruitment. Says it all doesn't it?

Zider

That comment had me frothing at the mouth

I don’t scout anymore  but I highlighted Marriott and posted as such before he could get in Luton side regularly

.......Merely based on seein a couple of his finishes. ONE AGAINST US

:gaah:

Would have cost us peanuts as a development player

there was a post earlier than this which I can’t find but even this post was 3 years ago

1665AF9A-FFC3-4A5C-B2EA-6BC734C4FF13.png

11 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Zider

That comment had me frothing at the mouth

I don’t scout anymore  but I highlighted Marriott and posted as such before he could get in Luton side regularly

.......Merely based on seein a couple of his finishes. ONE AGAINST US

:gaah:

Would have cost us peanuts as a development player

there was a post earlier than this which I can’t find but even this post was 3 years ago

1665AF9A-FFC3-4A5C-B2EA-6BC734C4FF13.png

Our scouting system needs sorting out as @Harry in particular will attest to.

The amount of players we've overlooked only for them to go on to much, much bigger things is astonishing. It's totally unacceptable and I'm not convinced LJ is anywhere near bucking this trend.

25 minutes ago, Olé said:

I know you have a reputation for being particularly down on LJ & co, but you captured very well here what's nagging at me from that interview.

I was struck by the number of times Johnson had an answer, but still felt the need to add in an excuse too - I listed a few in my first response.

He gave himself an out with every answer. There was no substantive confidence in answers - just deflection and room to excuse future failure.

That's probably the worst takeaway. No lines were drawn, no new targets of expectations set. LJ's narrative epitomises City's soft underbelly.

Always looks to create a storyline that reduces expectations, accepts failure. Why couldn't we be bold? Smaller more limited clubs manage it.

Soft underbelly..... now there’s a phrase. Remember when that was used at Ashton Gate before? Johnson senior’s pretty much opening line when he arrived.  

Funny how the soft underbelly came back under soft managers.  Cotts sorted it out  ... now it’s back again. 

I’m lidtening on iPlayer 5 mins in and our leader is giggling about the 5-5 draw that ended our chances.  Tell me it gets better...

13 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

The amount of players we've overlooked only for them to go on to much, much bigger things is astonishing. It's totally unacceptable and I'm not convinced LJ is anywhere near bucking this trend.

And I promise you and I’m sure @Harry and @redcherryberry will confirm scouting for potential isn’t that hard

Just a different way of watching players and games that you become acclimatised to , looking for certain attributes

Tbf the here and now ones are harder , when budget plays a major part but you need to know how that player will fit into your jigsaw and why IMHO it’s vital a coach actually knows and understand the player he’s bringing in and WHY (Something Dyche , Klopp And Guardiola all do brilliantly )

3 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

An interesting point. I can't remember the last player we unearthed from obscurity and made something of them (and made a decent profit). 

I don't include Kodjia in my thinking either. I'm talking rough diamond young player. 

4 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

An interesting point. I can't remember the last player we unearthed from obscurity and made something of them (and made a decent profit). 

I don't include Kodjia in my thinking either. I'm talking rough diamond young player. 

Adomah springs to mind.

1 minute ago, CotswoldRed said:

Something other clubs are doing brilliantly in this division.

Brentford and Preston both do it. Brentford is more of a moneyball slant but PNE are in a much better place than us after looking for bargains in Ireland, ex-PL youngsters like Pearson and Harrop, and lower league players doing well like Bodin. 

ALL dead cheap compared to 1.8m for Eliassion, 2m+ for Engvall, and 1.5m for Moore.

We ignored Ollie Watkins, for example. Played for Exeter and Weston and we turned down the chance to buy him. Ryan Woods too. Now both important players for Brentford who they will definitely make a big profit on.

1 hour ago, spudski said:

In the big picture of things, it would cost relatively nothing to employ a person who's sole responsibility is to look after the new signings needs.

Didn't we have someone who sorted out Magnússon's dog and Tammy's (alleged) driving offences? Or were they drafted in from doing something else?

Here’s done notes in true BobBob style from tonight in case you can’t be bothered to listen.  Tried not to add too many of my views into it.

Players improved individually over the season.

Injuries - 9 long term. Never come back the same. Hence flogged the likes of Brownhill. 

Small funnel of names in January. For a club of City’s size. 

Walsh - long term prospect, quickly rephrased as long term who can contribute now. 

Kent unfit. Atmosphere in stadium affected him. 

Recruitment team great, but need to improve our infrastructure for foreign recruitment. Contradiction. Lots of excuses. If you don’t have the set up to recruit foreigners, don’t do it. Basics. 

Mitrovic, etc, out of our reach. Fair enough no arguments there. 

Prep for this window. Will present a plan on Wednesday. Talked a bit about positives, but most were off-pitch, eg attendances, sponsorship. 

Club will do its best to keep (players they want to keep - didn’t respond directly to Reid, Bryan names given in the question). Swings, percentiles used to be 5-10% now it’s 200-300%. What does that mean?  Is that wage increases?

Reid and Bryan deals not his realm. Does want to keep them. Good. There will be suitors though. Talks underway. Different agendas though. Think Geoff saw through this. Be amazed if both are here personally. 

Final say on transfers. SL financially. Talent ID LJ. No mention on MA. Mmmm. Interesting. Eccle-ectic mix!!!!!  GT “ability factor - your say”. LJ - absolutely. 

Steel. Important to find. Re the likes of Hull, Questioned himself, was there anything he could do - then he spoke in riddles and used the term clutch again. 

Good group of lads. Need to breed winners.  Plan B (and C and D) important. Didn’t have enough options to rotate, swap etc. 

Retained list. Hopefully Thursday. SL to sign off. 

LJ pleased with squad last summer. Re style of play happy with squad but wants to improve it. 

Re Hull GT said what most of us thought that he moved BR to Left Mid and Josh on alongside Fammy. LJ said he actually went 4141. At the time post match he said he went 451????  So did Josh not play to instruction?

Gary O’Neil signed to help game management, but unfortunately been injured. 

Goalkeeper?  Trying to improve everywhere. FF had a good season until last 5 games. If right keeper comes along????

Watching from higher up. A poll?  A really good idea. That is such a basic idea. Poor that he hasn’t done it, even if not every game. 

Eliasson. Nice lad, good talent, pleased with the signing.....pause.....for the long term. Took some adjustment. Big jump from Swedish League (my thoughts - how is that helping Gustav then?). 7 aside be £20m. Good trainer. Best crosser. Possible loan. Definitely English club as sees him being part of the future. Again that must mean Gustav isn’t!

Man Utd game. Brilliant. Bit of a shock. Mourinho/Guardiola. Huge respect. Talked about tactics, how to manage top players. Built bridges re future loans. Nothing formally agreed though. 

Lot of good managers at this level, but accepts inexperienced. 

Biggest lesson. Personal. Manage life better. 

Improving squad?  Right Back been a problem. Bailey needs an operation. Round pegs in round holes. Improve spine and productivity in wide areas, and improve resilience at the back. Paterson. Winger and no10. Could replace Bobby at no10 with Pato. Reduce quantity of squad and gave better pathway. 

Diony back to France. Yes

Young players? 8/9 possibly, but 3 or 4 with a chance. Vyner, Kelly, Morrell mentioned.  Helps maximise budget. Sensible. Been saying this for a while. 

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Here’s done notes in true BobBob style from tonight in case you can’t be bothered to listen.  Tried not to add too many of my views into it.

Players improved individually over the season.

Injuries - 9 long term. Never come back the same. Hence flogged the likes of Brownhill. 

Small funnel of names in January. For a club of City’s size. 

Walsh - long term prospect, quickly rephrased as long term who can contribute now. 

Kent unfit. Atmosphere in stadium affected him. 

Recruitment team great, but need to improve our infrastructure for foreign recruitment. Contradiction. Lots of excuses. If you don’t have the set up to recruit foreigners, don’t do it. Basics. 

Mitrovic, etc, out of our reach. Fair enough no arguments there. 

Prep for this window. Will present a plan on Wednesday. Talked a bit about positives, but most were off-pitch, eg attendances, sponsorship. 

Club will do its best to keep (players they want to keep - didn’t respond directly to Reid, Bryan names given in the question). Swings, percentiles used to be 5-10% now it’s 200-300%. What does that mean?  Is that wage increases?

Reid and Bryan deals not his realm. Does want to keep them. Good. There will be suitors though. Talks underway. Different agendas though. Think Geoff saw through this. Be amazed if both are here personally. 

Final say on transfers. SL financially. Talent ID LJ. No mention on MA. Mmmm. Interesting. Eccle-ectic mix!!!!!  GT “ability factor - your say”. LJ - absolutely. 

Steel. Important to find. Re the likes of Hull, Questioned himself, was there anything he could do - then he spoke in riddles and used the term clutch again. 

Good group of lads. Need to breed winners.  Plan B (and C and D) important. Didn’t have enough options to rotate, swap etc. 

Retained list. Hopefully Thursday. SL to sign off. 

LJ pleased with squad last summer. Re style of play happy with squad but wants to improve it. 

Re Hull GT said what most of us thought that he moved BR to Left Mid and Josh on alongside Fammy. LJ said he actually went 4141. At the time post match he said he went 451????  So did Josh not play to instruction?

Gary O’Neil signed to help game management, but unfortunately been injured. 

Goalkeeper?  Trying to improve everywhere. FF had a good season until last 5 games. If right keeper comes along????

Watching from higher up. A poll?  A really good idea. That is such a basic idea. Poor that he hasn’t done it, even if not every game. 

Eliasson. Nice lad, good talent, pleased with the signing.....pause.....for the long term. Took some adjustment. Big jump from Swedish League (my thoughts - how is that helping Gustav then?). 7 aside be £20m. Good trainer. Best crosser. Possible loan. Definitely English club as sees him being part of the future. Again that must mean Gustav isn’t!

Man Utd game. Brilliant. Bit of a shock. Mourinho/Guardiola. Huge respect. Talked about tactics, how to manage top players. Built bridges re future loans. Nothing formally agreed though. 

Lot of good managers at this level, but accepts inexperienced. 

Biggest lesson. Personal. Manage life better. 

Improving squad?  Right Back been a problem. Bailey needs an operation. Round pegs in round holes. Improve spine and productivity in wide areas, and improve resilience at the back. Paterson. Winger and no10. Could replace Bobby at no10 with Pato. Reduce quantity of squad and gave better pathway. 

Diony back to France. Yes

Young players? 8/9 possibly, but 3 or 4 with a chance. Vyner, Kelly, Morrell mentioned.  Helps maximise budget. Sensible. Been saying this for a while. 

Thanks Dave. 

Saves me wasting another hour of my life. 

54 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

His height does mean he will suffer more because of the camber of pitches compared to say MM

As @JamesBCFC's original response was to me (and quite reasonable it was too), I will say my original remark was less about the validity of uneven pitch surfaces or having a limited view from the side of the pitch. My issue was on what basis LJ could say that at Millwall such a view was actually limiting him from seeing for 45 minutes that Bobby was not occupying their centre backs, but was having to drop back deep on the flanks to compete.

Sorry, just don't buy it. We were a shambles that day and it didn't take an aerial view to see where Bobby Reid was or how isolated our supposedly 4-3-3 attack was and how overrun we were in midfield. It's this constant reference to peripherals causes of our failings. It almost feels to me like LJ must go through the process of conducting a robust review of the causes to our defeats, but insists on starting from a position where he rules out the obvious.

1 minute ago, Olé said:

As @JamesBCFC's original response was to me (and quite reasonable it was too), I will say my original remark was less about the validity of uneven pitch surfaces or having a limited view from the side of the pitch. My issue was on what basis LJ could say that at Millwall such a view was actually limiting him from seeing for 45 minutes that Bobby was not occupying their centre backs, but was having to drop back deep on the flanks to compete.

Sorry, just don't buy it. We were a shambles that day and it didn't take an aerial view to see where Bobby Reid was or how isolated our supposedly 4-3-3 attack was and how overrun we were in midfield. It's this constant reference to peripherals causes of our failings. It almost feels to me like LJ must go through the process of conducting a robust review of the causes to our defeats, but insists on starting from a position where he rules out the obvious.

At least he'd measured the grass before kickoff. Could have been even worse otherwise. 

2 minutes ago, Olé said:

surely Dean & Macca were there too? 

11 minutes ago, Olé said:

I wasnt trying to discredit your post at all, and fully agree it shouldnt and likely didnt render Reid out of LJs sight for 45 minutes.

12 minutes ago, Olé said:

Basically it was a made up excuse....to show what a deep thinker he is, and that his brilliant tactic failed ONLY because someone didn’t follow orders.

4 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

At least he'd measured the grass before kickoff. Could have been even worse otherwise. 

And that’s exactly it Cots. 

We hear all this nonsense about the little things, the one percenters, the small marginal gains etc, and yet there is hugely contradictory stuff like this. 

If you’re a “bright young manager” and have such an intense attention to detail surely you should be able to make a decision as to whether you should sit in the stand once in a while? 

I’m not having it. There are glaring holes in a lot of what is said. 

As for this nonsense about Eliason and 7-a-side, flip me! You know, I once played in a team with a lad who was an absolute world beater at 5-a-side, but once out on the pitch for 11’s he was clueless. I wouldn’t expect the same of a professional footballer valued at £2m. Shocking shocking shocking. 

5 minutes ago, Harry said:

And that’s exactly it Cots. 

We hear all this nonsense about the little things, the one percenters, the small marginal gains etc, and yet there is hugely contradictory stuff like this. 

If you’re a “bright young manager” and have such an intense attention to detail surely you should be able to make a decision as to whether you should sit in the stand once in a while? 

I’m not having it. There are glaring holes in a lot of what is said. 

As for this nonsense about Eliason and 7-a-side, flip me! You know, I once played in a team with a lad who was an absolute world beater at 5-a-side, but once out on the pitch for 11’s he was clueless. I wouldn’t expect the same of a professional footballer valued at £2m. Shocking shocking shocking. 

The DNA check can now be updated, ensuring checks are for the 11-a-side game. 

22 minutes ago, Olé said:

Don't think we were set up in a 4-3-3 at Millwall. Were badly overrun in midfield there however!

To me we need a proper bonafide 4-3-3, and certainly nonsense- if we by some miracle keep him- as Reid on the left.

Definitely we were a shambles that day, largely self-inflicted too (not saying Millwall didn't play well but our setup undoubtedly helped).

Your overarching point I agree with though- he should have been able to spot it from the side of the pitch. (Then have rectified it fairly sharpish).

On 13/05/2018 at 20:22, Fuber said:

Nah.

It's the same way I kept thinking he'd drop Pato eventually. Took ages, and when it eventually happened, it was against Brentford it was for Kent.

I can't cope LJ surprising me again. :laughcont:

Thank God.

He didn't surprise me. He blamed everyone/thing but himself.

And the part where he inferred upon Reid's postioning at 'Wall and bring unhappy with it?

Just. Lee. No.

Ive had a go at Ashton the past week, trying to point out LJ may not have complete control of transfers.

He's shat on that theory. Comprehensively.

No foreign player infrastructure. From someone who I believe studied their badges at Man City.

ARE YOU F*CKING KIDDING ME!

Im speechless. Just excuses, no substance, and blaming the fans? Really? What do you expect? You're on a run worse than when Cotts got sacked. That isnt the fans or just the players at fault. 

They're professionals footballers. They shouldnt be effected by the crowd getting agitated. You managed it Lee. So should they.

No leadership. No responsibility. Not at fault. Again.

Whatever confidence I had for next season has just... gone.

Dissolved. Evapourated. Crushed. Vanished.

A small part of me may be optimistic. But its an iota at the moment.

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Spot on Rob

Btw - In  case you hadn’t manage to keep up Diony now posts regular videos of him driving round Bordeaux , and a bizarre one of his feet in a swimming pool :dunno:

(In case you were worried)

His feet in the swimming pool?? 

Presumably both left? 

Can you post the pic, I’ve never seen an actual 2-left-footed person! 

4 hours ago, Olé said:

I hear what you're saying, and I admire that you got more out of the interview than I did - but were you not at least slightly frustrated by the lack of any explanation for how we will compete? I'm not sure any of the clubs you mention would necessarily be spending £2m on young players to be loaned out (LJ hinted at another in the interview), and our intended spend on Diony (no explanation) would be in the ball park all those clubs will be spending.

So while what you say is true, surely we deserve some clarification on how we're going to better use our resources against those teams, given LJ has gone through the interview on the one hand excusing or deflecting these chronic wastes of money and low impact investments, while on the other hand throwing in excuses about inability to financially compete. At the very least it's a disconnect that was not addressed, so not sure how you're upbeat!

Your last line above is how I feel too, but the difference is, I was hoping for even basic insight and evidence from the interview of how we'll do that?

This is what boils my p1££. We harp on about how we can’t compete wage wise with villa et al whilst wasting a large chunk of what we do have on over priced punts don’t look like EVER being championship standard.

those responsible for this waste don’t seem to be accountable though. Can you imagine Brentford or Preston paying 2 mil for a player then not using him. If a player costs 2m then you’d expect them to be at the very least, a decent impact player from the bench 18 months on if our much vaunted coaching was as good as it’s supposed to be. Or maybe it’s not, or maybe our recruiting is crap..  or both!!!!!

Haven't listened to the interview but on basis of what has been posted on here, I smell the ramblings of a "dead man walking". 

Getting more convinced than before that he'll take us down without a fight unless Lansdown comes to his senses and does what he should have done twelve months ago! 

Archived