IGNORED

Johnson on sound of the city with twentyman

10 hours ago, Jack Dawe said:

A once regler now not so regler French speaking poster on here of my acquaintance emailed Jon boy L in 2015 to offer his linguistic assistance when it became known that Kodjia was struggling with the anglo-saxon and got lost on his way to AG for the Brentford game. The response was "we're alright, thanks. All in hand here."

Luckily you didn't offer help with his English .

:laughcont:

23 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

This was interesting..

On Guardiola “I questioned him for an hour after the game - mostly asking him how you deal with top players”

There it is, LJ admitting (yet again) that he finds managing top players a challenge.

FFS. Please change that avatar. It makes me feel ill. 

So we have no infrastructure for integrating foreign players into the club, yet have a recruitment process that leads to us signing a significant amount of foreign players?

If that is true then given he is in overall charge of the recruitment strategy and paid an obscene £304k a year, Mark Ashton should be fired with immediate effect.

6 hours ago, milo1111 said:

This is what boils my p1££. We harp on about how we can’t compete wage wise with villa et al whilst wasting a large chunk of what we do have on over priced punts don’t look like EVER being championship standard.

those responsible for this waste don’t seem to be accountable though. Can you imagine Brentford or Preston paying 2 mil for a player then not using him. If a player costs 2m then you’d expect them to be at the very least, a decent impact player from the bench 18 months on if our much vaunted coaching was as good as it’s supposed to be. Or maybe it’s not, or maybe our recruiting is crap..  or both!!!!!

Agreed, I previously wrote that City where operating like a poor man's Chelsea.

I believe we have a scatter gun principle but we have thrown , wasted , loads of money down the drain.

The legacy of Kodjia, Albert , Bolasie has not been used efficiently.

Of all last season's signings , I believe, only Fammy looks the business.

6 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Agreed, I previously wrote that City where operating like a poor man's Chelsea.

Of all last season's signings , I believe, only Fammy looks the business.

How many of last seasons signings were for the first team squad?

Famara, Djuric, Taylor and Baker spring to mind. Three of those had long term injuries.

It what way were the fees 'wasted?'

It's a Rubiks Cube. 

Finally listened. Wish I hadn't. Didn't learn a thing. 

One thing stood out - GT asked him (I paraphrase) "you've banged on about learning from Pep and Jose, what did you actually learn?" 

His answer confirmed he learned absolutely nothing. 

He must be Ashton's golden child though. Deflection, saying lots and saying absolutely nothing. Generic platitudes without substance. Promising nothing. No specific deliverables. No particular timescales. Nothing to hang any sort of hat on (I'm doing it now!) 

Our deep thinker has very little to offer the man in the street when it comes to explaining how he wants to play football. 

Words words words.

He's more at home in a management consultancy than football management. 

Just once when he said "d'ya know what I mean" to GT I wish he'd responded "Well, no". 

8 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Basically it was a made up excuse....to show what a deep thinker he is, and that his brilliant tactic failed ONLY because someone didn’t follow orders.

Agreed, more excuses/deflection. But we were beaten at Millwall before they got on the Bristol Sport bus on the Friday or whenever it was.

What we were found lacking in and wanting for at Millwall was heart, mettle, guts, determination, togetherness, responsibility, leadership, intent, purpose, desire. 

52 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

It's a Rubiks Cube. 

One thing stood out - GT asked him (I paraphrase) "you've banged on about learning from Pep and Jose, what did you actually learn?" 

If Johnson’s career in football management doesn’t amount to much , he will have a successful career in politics. 

He has marvelled the art of answering a question but not answering a question.

I’m sure people would appreciate it far more if he said, Diony was signed because we thought he might give us something different. An unknown quantity, unfortunately it didn’t work out.

The season tailed off because we played a lot of games, an inexperienced squad and we ran out of steam. We will be stronger next season because of it.

I would have done this differently this season in hindsight. 

Be humble Lee, you’ll get more respect for it 

43 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

It's a Rubiks Cube. 

He must be Ashton's golden child though. Deflection, saying lots and saying absolutely nothing. Generic platitudes without substance. Promising nothing. No specific deliverables. No particular timescales. Nothing to hang any sort of hat on (I'm doing it now!) 

Our deep thinker has very little to offer the man in the street when it comes to explaining how he wants to play football. 

Words words words.

He's more at home in a management consultancy than football management. 

I think you last line sums it up - and that is from someone who spends a lot of time with those types.

I don't buy the deep thinker thing either, personally I think he got very lucky in the autumn when the injuries forced a team on him through lack of choice.

I recall a Barnsley fun saying much the same happened with them on here.

I have little doubt that Fam, it he had not got injured, would have played, or at least started, every game, which significantly changes us away from the football played from October to December.

Regardless, he is here for the long term, I just hope that when he does his interview next May on RB it's not all about how we are going to 'smash' League 1 with a team of lads from the academy.

PS - quick question for those that listened, did he really say Elliasion is a good 7 - side player?

£2m for a kid that isn't able to get 11 a side yet! But we can't afford to take someone on loan on £40k a week for 5 months who may have, just may have,  helped win us £170m!

The irony here - although we shouldn't be surprised at this - is that Mark Ashton told the national media, in all the excitable coverage in the lead up to Man City away, about the red book the players are given. He said:

"It brings a no-excuses culture."

I don't yet see this extending beyond the players to higher up the chain of command. LJ referred to a lack of leaders amongst his players - more outsourcing of responsibility? - well, in the same interview Lee says:

"You have to be the creature you want to create." And yes, he mentioned Ghandi.

Well, go on then Lee. We are waiting.

Mark "Ductus exemplo" Ashton - we are waiting.

"Relentless in the pursuit of excellence?" Didn't hear that last night. Didn't hear much "ductus exemplo" neither.

As Ole says, there is a disconnect between the words - the many, fine words and aspirations; the high ideals - and the deeds. Bring the two closer together and we could do something. Look at Preston, ffs!

8 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

PS - quick question for those that listened, did he really say Elliasion is a good 7 - side player? 

Yes. He'd be worth £20m if football was 7 a side. 

And if my auntie had a.... 

10 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

It’s actually relevant tho Harry

His height does mean he will suffer more because of the camber of pitches compared to say MM

That means his giggling response to GTs very good q about pitchsie or watching from a higher position is even more relevant

Ive managed at county level and even then at places like Clevedon , Melksham  etc would sit at the back of their little stands for first 20mins or so and at some points during the game

Was that Somerset County Bob?

I am looking forward to losing an hour of my life listening to the interview shortly, but from what I can gather from the opinions that have been stated in this thread thus far is that some people are still buying the empty spin and convincing themselves that last season was a good season because we finished 11th and beat Man United whilst ignoring the fact that we imploded from January until the end of the season and can just skip over it blindly?

Also where foreign recruitment is concerned we have been decidedly ‘tinpot’ for the last 2 and 1/2 years.

And there were no real answers about our mysterious and inexcusable collapse in form, other than it was a combination of the fans getting on players backs and the players being tired / injured, unable to understand LJ’s over-complicated ramblings about tactics. 

Then to top it all off we would get over-ran because Lee wasn’t tall enough to see that changes needed to be made? 

So no explanation as to why tactically he would take our best ball winning and workmanlike midfielder (Korey Smith) and persist with playing him at right back even though it was evident in many games that we would be over-run in the middle of the park, and that this would reverse when he moved Korey into the midfield for the second half of the game (Man City at home is a prime example). Also, if it wasn’t Korey, then it was our other battling midfielder Josh Brownhill that would have to fill in at right back, again leaving us without that additional bite in midfield.

And what about removimg our most effective forward players for wingers who end up crossing to nobody because the forward has been subbed?

Whatabout dropping 20+ goalscorer Bobby Reid back into midfield when he is the most likely player on the pitch apart from Diedhiou who can score consistently for City?

Is this not basic tactics? Surely it was obvious to most supporters during the season? What has LJ learnt? Well, not a lot if he persists with Korey Smith / Josh Brownhill at RB, dropping Bobby to midfield and removing our forwards when we need goals?!

Will listen shortly and provide my response, but I doubt most of the above would have been answered. Actually I would put money on it!

People will have to make up their mind, but what I'm getting in this thread is people who who are so down on Johnson that they are not prepared to give him the remotest chance.  I listened to the interview and felt he spoke well - I certainly understood what he said - and within the confines of a public broadcast, in which you are never going to reveal your innermost feelings or describe the confidential workings of the club - he gave me enough information to be able to put last season in some sort of perspective and to feel I had some understanding of where we would be going next season.  He answered pretty much every question put to him - without revealing details of transfer targets or contract details, but who would have expected that? - and I don't remember him odging any issues.  Someone above said he revealed he learned nothing from Mourinho or Guardiola - well that's not the way I heard it.

The constant baracking of him on this forum by individuals is getting very tiresome, and must make some threads unreadable at times for anyone who has a sense of optimism about the club.  Given that Lee isn't going anywhere, isn't it time to stop the constant sniping and give the geezer a break?

2 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

People will have to make up their mind, but what I'm getting in this thread is people who who are so down on Johnson that they are not prepared to give him the remotest chance.  I listened to the interview and felt he spoke well - I certainly understood what he said - and within the confines of a public broadcast, in which you are never going to reveal your innermost feelings or describe the confidential workings of the club - he gave me enough information to be able to put last season in some sort of perspective and to feel I had some understanding of where we would be going next season.  He answered pretty much every question put to him - without revealing details of transfer targets or contract details, but who would have expected that? - and I don't remember him odging any issues.  Someone above said he revealed he learned nothing from Mourinho or Guardiola - well that's not the way I heard it.

The constant baracking of him on this forum by individuals is getting very tiresome, and must make some threads unreadable at times for anyone who has a sense of optimism about the club.  Given that Lee isn't going anywhere, isn't it time to stop the constant sniping and give the geezer a break?

I'd be genuinely interested in a very brief summary if you could put one to us. 

I haven't the faintest understanding of our collapse in form. 

The closest I got was about managers, through analysis, working teams out within about 3 games. Nothing about us working them out though. 

1 minute ago, Cheesleysmate said:

Was that Somerset County Bob?

I am looking forward to losing an hour of my life listening to the interview shortly, but from what I can gather from the opinions that have been stated in this thread thus far is that some people are still buying the empty spin and convincing themselves that last season was a good season because we finished 11th and beat Man United whilst ignoring the fact that we imploded from January until the end of the season and can just skip over it blindly?

Also where foreign recruitment is concerned we have been decidedly ‘tinpot’ for the last 2 and 1/2 years.

And there were no real answers about our mysterious and inexcusable collapse in form, other than it was a combination of the fans getting on players backs and the players being tired / injured, unable to understand LJ’s over-complicated ramblings about tactics. 

Then to top it all off we would get over-ran because Lee wasn’t tall enough to see that changes needed to be made? 

So no explanation as to why tactically he would take our best ball winning and workmanlike midfielder (Korey Smith) and persist with playing him at right back even though it was evident in many games that we would be over-run in the middle of the park, and that this would reverse when he moved Korey into the midfield for the second half of the game (Man City at home is a prime example). Also, if it wasn’t Korey, then it was our other battling midfielder Josh Brownhill that would have to fill in at right back, again leaving us without that additional bite in midfield.

And what about removimg our most effective forward players for wingers who end up crossing to nobody because the forward has been subbed?

Whatabout dropping 20+ goalscorer Bobby Reid back into midfield when he is the most likely player on the pitch apart from Diedhiou who can score consistently for City?

Is this not basic tactics? Surely it was obvious to most supporters during the season? What has LJ learnt? Well, not a lot if he persists with Korey Smith / Josh Brownhill at RB, dropping Bobby to midfield and removing our forwards when we need goals?!

Will listen shortly and provide my response, but I doubt most of the above would have been answered. Actually I would put money on it!

So you admit that you haven't listened to the interview, but you have spent most of your posting criticising Johnson for what he said.  Absolutely remarkable!

Actually he did address most of the issues you mention above.  You may not agree with what he said - I think I can pretty much guarantee that - but he did answer the questions put to him.

Happy listening!

13 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

So you admit that you haven't listened to the interview, but you have spent most of your posting criticising Johnson for what he said.  Absolutely remarkable!

Actually he did address most of the issues you mention above.  You may not agree with what he said - I think I can pretty much guarantee that - but he did answer the questions put to him.

Happy listening!

Correct. Well, my criticism is based on having read 6 pages of feedback, so I guess that it is pretty remarkable. I want confidence that he is not merely fumbling his way through the job. If it wasn’t for the complete collapse in form I would feel much more upbeat, but it is a huge red flag to me and I    am keen to hear what he has to say.

9 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Happy listening!

Yes he did answer the questions, in that he responded with some words. 

Do you genuinely have an understanding of what went wrong this season? 

Here's a point that I don't have a grip on - injuries and tiredness is the excuse that gets wheeled out, but what frustrates me is it goes relatively unchallenged. 

Show me a side that hasn't suffered with injuries this year. Show me a side that has played the tiredness card so often. Why does every excuse seem to imply we're the only ones who have to put up with those challenges, presupposing every other team has a fresh and fit squad. These things tend to even out. 

Why is every excuse about teams working us out. Why isn't it about us working them out and compromising their tactics. That's where the manager comes in. 

My god, we're good at playing the victim card when it comes to management and tactics. 

13 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

The closest I got was about managers, through analysis, working teams out within about 3 games. Nothing about us working them out though. 

I certainly heard him talk about injuries, the inability to rotate the squad as result, players having to play too many games as a result (didn't he say that Brownhill and Smith had played amongst the most minutes in Europe?), players coming back from injuries being a shadow of their former selves, and the failure of the loan signings in the January transfer window.  He also talked about the mentality that led to us losing leads, much of which, having watched the videos and talked to the players, came down to a lack of communication.

1 minute ago, CotswoldRed said:

Here's a point that I don't have a grip on - injuries and tiredness is the excuse that gets wheeled out, but what frustrates me is it goes relatively unchallenged. 

Show me a side that hasn't suffered with injuries this year. Show me a side that has played the tiredness card so often. Why does every excuse seem to imply we're the only ones who have to put up with those challenges, presupposing every other team has a fresh and fit squad. These things tend to even out. 

Why is every excuse about teams working us out. Why isn't it about us working them out and compromising their tactics. That's where the manager comes in. 

My god, we're good at playing the victim card when it comes to management and tactics. 

That was tough reading, im that you hit the nail on the head with some very simple, well.......hard facts!

Cracking post.

2 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

Look, the injury situation is a reason why our season went wrong.  It's not simply an excuse.

1 minute ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I certainly heard him talk about injuries, the inability to rotate the squad as result, players having to play too many games as a result (didn't he say that Brownhill and Smith had played amongst the most minutes in Europe?), players coming back from injuries being a shadow of their former selves, and the failure of the loan signings in the January transfer window.  He also talked about the mentality that led to us losing leads, much of which, having watched the videos and talked to the players, came down to a lack of communication.

I'll pick up your last point as the first points have been done to death without a real critique, in my view. 

What does "lack of communication" even mean in this scenario? 

The opposition break quickly and we're supposed to hold a conference call? The captain has failed to remind the players of where they should be standing on the pitch? What is it? 

I've never heard a manager blame a lack of communication for conceding 4 goals. 

5 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

My god, we're good at playing the victim card when it comes to management and tactics. :clap:

The constant soundbites about injuries

Well apologies to his apologists But I’ll repeat again

If injuries and lack of ‘options’ as our Head Coach Claims had an impact , perhaps he’d like to reflect and explain , was that because HE had packed the squad out as players put aside as ones for the future , ones he’d signed but didn’t trust , loans HE signed and then decided weren’t up to it, and expensive ones HE signed who were shipped out on loan  

Unbelievable That Some on here don’t even seem to consider such things

23 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

Our collapse was due to:

1. Injuries.

2. Pisano's struggle with the lingo.

3. The crowd during Kent's first games.

4. LJ not being able to see what Bobby was doing at Millwall.

5. His leaders were injured, so no leadership.

6. Diony. He didn't work out. For "whatever reason." Possibly injured/language difficulties/the crowd/he couldn't see what Bobby was doing.

Number 1: yes, that we can listen to. We certainly had a few (but on their return, we didn't improve). But for a club talking up a "no-excuses" culture - you either are this, or you are not - you'd think they might say that is why we have a squad. But we're still at the "some-excuses" point in our "culture" so we'll need to wait on that one. 

9 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Look, the injury situation is a reason why our season went wrong.  It's not simply an excuse.

It is a reason. But it doesn't explain why we couldn't cope with it in anything like a flexible way. 

What I'm getting at is - LJ should be explaining to us why he doesn't have the ability to make sufficient changes to make the most of injuries. Why we don't have a plan B. Why our philosophy is so paper thin to deal with bad luck. 

"unfortunately we had injuries" gets him off scot free it seems. 

He seems to have all the management ability of a sigh and a shrug in such situations. 

4 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

I'll pick up your last point as the first points have been done to death without a real critique, in my view. 

What does "lack of communication" even mean in this scenario? 

The opposition break quickly and we're supposed to hold a conference call? The captain has failed to remind the players of where they should be standing on the pitch? What is it? 

I've never heard a manager blame a lack of communication for conceding 4 goals. 

Defence is all about communication. If you don't communicate you are in real trouble and you most certainly cannot play offside if for instance,your back is facing the rest of the players your team mates have to communicate to get you in the correct position.

I thought the communication bit was pretty self explanatory... and if the players are not doing it you have to question why.

4 minutes ago, TRL said:

Defence is all about communication. If you don't communicate you are in real trouble and you most certainly cannot play offside if for instance,your back is facing the rest of the players your team mates have to communicate to get you in the correct position.

I thought the communication bit was pretty self explanatory... and if the players are not doing it you have to question why.

Fair point. Understand what you are getting at. 

So did Johnson say "I didn't explain to them in training who was in charge of the back line during the game" or "clearly we hadn't coached them well enough".

I missed that. More reasons and no substantive explanation. No taking responsibility either. 

If he explains then I will believe he can put it right. 

This interview was really a no win situation. Haters gonna hate as the youngsters say. If LJ can’t address the issues that have come up from the second half of this season in the first part of next season I imagine he will be sacked but if he does come up with those answers and forgoing any unforeseen circumstance, will his detractors support him?

5 minutes ago, EmissionImpossible said:

This interview was really a no win situation. Haters gonna hate as the youngsters say. If LJ can’t address the issues that have come up from the second half of this season in the first part of next season I imagine he will be sacked but if he does come up with those answers and forgoing any unforeseen circumstance, will his detractors support him?

The default old chestnut when you haven't the ability to engage in a contrary argument. Just send the opposing view to the lowest level. 

I would love LJ to succeed. I would have loved the second half of the season to match the first. But when the sh*t hits the fan you need to man up and admit your failings and explain the plan properly. Admit your weaknesses and not blame all else but yourself. 

And bin the lingo. 

Archived