IGNORED

Johnson on sound of the city with twentyman

This Pisano language stuff really defies belief.

He is marred to an American citizen who speaks English fluently, so having moved here with her & his daughter (they now have a second child I believe, born here), he would have absolutely no problems in settling as he isn’t on his own &, has someone to help him communicate.

He was injured for two thirds of the season, so wasn’t there time for him to improve his English then?

Sorry I just don’t buy this, it sounds a pretty lame excuse that he couldn’t learn & understand the 6 or so football phrases required in that time.

4 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

This Pisano language stuff really defies belief.

He is marred to an American citizen who speaks English fluently, so having moved here with her & his daughter (they now have a second child I believe, born here), he would have absolutely no problems in settling as he isn’t on his own &, has someone to help him communicate.

He was injured for two thirds of the season, so wasn’t there time for him to improve his English then?

Sorry I just don’t buy this, it sounds a pretty lame excuse that he couldn’t learn & understand the 6 or so football phrases required in that time.

Pisano's English seemed perfectly fine when I spoke to him briefly last week.

You make a very valid point. He doesn't understand "man on" but LJ reckons he'll understand Rubik's Cube analogies and clutch, unless he saves his management bull for interviews only. 

50 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

People will have to make up their mind, but what I'm getting in this thread is people who who are so down on Johnson that they are not prepared to give him the remotest chance.  I listened to the interview and felt he spoke well - I certainly understood what he said - and within the confines of a public broadcast, in which you are never going to reveal your innermost feelings or describe the confidential workings of the club - he gave me enough information to be able to put last season in some sort of perspective and to feel I had some understanding of where we would be going next season.  He answered pretty much every question put to him - without revealing details of transfer targets or contract details, but who would have expected that? - and I don't remember him odging any issues.  Someone above said he revealed he learned nothing from Mourinho or Guardiola - well that's not the way I heard it.

The constant baracking of him on this forum by individuals is getting very tiresome, and must make some threads unreadable at times for anyone who has a sense of optimism about the club.  Given that Lee isn't going anywhere, isn't it time to stop the constant sniping and give the geezer a break?

It's almost as tiring as those who think the sun shines out of LJ's gold plated backside and can see no wrong in him or his decisions.

( even when the coach himself says that he's made a mistake) 

4 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

The default old chestnut when you haven't the ability to engage in a contrary argument. Just send the opposing view to the lowest level. 

I would love LJ to succeed. I would have loved the second half of the season to match the first. But when the sh*t hits the fan you need to man up and admit your failings and explain the plan properly. Admit your weaknesses and not blame all else but yourself. 

And bin the lingo. 

He has cited reasons why the plan didn’t work and he clearly wasn’t able to fix that in the second half of the season. 

I can see why people are frustrated but some are taking it to unreasonable lengths, just like some people will be blinded that he can never do any wrong. I saw enough in the first half of the season to warrant still having a little bit of faith.

As for the lingo, it’s a forum, it wasn’t aggressive so please don’t tell me to bin it. 

1 minute ago, EmissionImpossible said:

He has cited reasons why the plan didn’t work and he clearly wasn’t able to fix that in the second half of the season. 

I can see why people are frustrated but some are taking it to unreasonable lengths, just like some people will be blinded that he can never do any wrong. I saw enough in the first half of the season to warrant still having a little bit of faith.

As for the lingo, it’s a forum, it wasn’t aggressive so please don’t tell me to bin it. 

Sorry mate. I meant LJs lingo, not yours! 

13 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

Fair point. Understand what you are getting at. 

So did Johnson say "I didn't explain to them in training who was in charge of the back line during the game" or "clearly we hadn't coached them well enough".

I missed that. More reasons and no substantive explanation. No taking responsibility either. 

If he explains then I will believe he can put it right. 

He certainly left a big question mark over the players and/Or the coaching with his statement... and I guess that is what you get when you waffle instead of actually explaining.

At the end of the day if there is a communication issue that problem lays with the players, it's the very basics, if you can't do it at first team level how have you even been signed as a professional let alone picked to play. Anyone who cannot communicate effectively should be bombed out.. So Johnson needs to rectify this and stop picking these individuals

If the communication is a language barrier then why play the player in question until he can grasp enough of the language to understand the shouts and screams of his colleagues.

1 hour ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

People will have to make up their mind, but what I'm getting in this thread is people who who are so down on Johnson that they are not prepared to give him the remotest chance.  I listened to the interview and felt he spoke well - I certainly understood what he said - and within the confines of a public broadcast, in which you are never going to reveal your innermost feelings or describe the confidential workings of the club - he gave me enough information to be able to put last season in some sort of perspective and to feel I had some understanding of where we would be going next season.  He answered pretty much every question put to him - without revealing details of transfer targets or contract details, but who would have expected that? - and I don't remember him odging any issues.  Someone above said he revealed he learned nothing from Mourinho or Guardiola - well that's not the way I heard it.

The constant baracking of him on this forum by individuals is getting very tiresome, and must make some threads unreadable at times for anyone who has a sense of optimism about the club.  Given that Lee isn't going anywhere, isn't it time to stop the constant sniping and give the geezer a break?

It is not barracking. People are just seeing through the bullsh@te now!

Most on here have given him the time of day to at least demonstrate some intent and coaching leadership across the team. As far as I am concerned, I have read through all his bullsh@te and now realise (IMO) that there is no substance to Johnson as a manager, coach or leader of men. Infact if you read through and follow all his bullsh@te, he nearly always blames someone/something else when things go wrong/bad result - rather than consider his leadership style and tactical nuance of matches - and how he could improve things. I don’t believe the players actually respect him?

The fact that MA is a complete ******** also does not help. LJ in IMO needs a senior guy over and above him to guide him - clearly out of his depth when the going gets tough. On borrowed time now.

In fact IMO next season, if we get a bad start, he will probably be gone by Xmas.

Bristol Sport senior management is weak - LJ, MA, JL - WTF! 

13 minutes ago, EmissionImpossible said:

This interview was really a no win situation. Haters gonna hate as the youngsters say. If LJ can’t address the issues that have come up from the second half of this season in the first part of next season I imagine he will be sacked but if he does come up with those answers and forgoing any unforeseen circumstance, will his detractors support him?

Absolutely they will.

It truly does not matter who the HC / manager is at any club if the football AND the results are going the right way.

I don't buy this 'haters' thing at all, the reasons he is getting a hard time are well documented and deserved, as would any manager in his position.

It is impossible not to believe however that LJ is here partly due to nepotism - as I have said previously, nothing that he had 'achieved' previously would suggest that he should have got the job in the first place, in the future ? maybe, but then NO.

Another factor is clearly recruitment, now all of that is not down to him but nobody can claim that the money spent so far has, in the main, been well used. It is never going to be the case that all transfers are a success at any club but we have not done well enough.

I suspect he is going to be found out, I hope not but I suspect he may be, his reasons for our capitulation all to a greater or lesser extent are down to him and his coaches.

Injuries are part of the game, we should, after the money spent have been able to cope.

Tiredness - see above.

Lack of leaders - see above.

And of course making its 'debut', communication - what exactly do they do every day at training?

Had he walked into the club in Feb18 and not had an opportunity to change stuff then he would have some leeway ( pardon the pun ), the one about to open is his 5th - the time for excuses is over.

10 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Heya , Eros , howa you doing ? 

Whena you gonna play good again ? 

Two spaghetti carbonara anda bottle ofa Asti , grazie.

I know because I was there .

:yes:

Clearly you weren't. 

Was more like this. 

Me: Hi Eros. Lovely to meet you, when will we see you back playing with passion and flair? 

Eros: alright r kid. I've no ideal at the moment. Casn't grumble, like. 

29 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

The constant soundbites about injuries

Well apologies to his apologists But I’ll repeat again

If injuries and lack of ‘options’ as our Head Coach Claims had an impact , perhaps he’d like to reflect and explain , was that because HE had packed the squad out as players put aside as ones for the future , ones he’d signed but didn’t trust , loans HE signed and then decided weren’t up to it, and expensive ones HE signed who were shipped out on loan  

Unbelievable That Some on here don’t even seem to consider such things

With the 'Blueprint' that we have set out by the Club, wouldn't any manager following that 'Blueprint', have found himself in the same position BBSB?

Granted they may have found different loans etc...and maybe played differently.

But with the squad with have, all those injuries, and the 'blueprint' being followed....then our 'outcome' was inevitable.

Like many including yourself i'm seriously questioning our recruitment and judgement on players, but any manager we have following SL's blueprint is going to find things hard to start with.

I'm hoping this long term strategy will come into fruition in the next couple seasons...I wasn't expecting anything this, or the next one tbh....as the long term strategy doesn't really point to top 6 very soon.

The reality is, if we blood the young talent coming through like Kelly, Vyner, Morrell etc....then they won't be top 6 quality any time soon. They will make mistakes and will be gaining experience in this division.

We need experience and leaders...that is true.

We may have players that have now gained experience...but none of them are leaders imo.

All too 'nice' and placid.

It's all very well having a nice group of lads to work with....but you need leaders on the pitch for those 90 mins...I haven't seen any at our club for a long time. GoN was the nearest to that. I'm not talking about players who are aggressive by nature...but who can manage situations on the pitch, who can be vocal, organise and take situations by the scruff of the neck.

As it stands now...when things are going wrong, they all look like rabbits in headlights.

31 minutes ago, TRL said:

Defence is all about communication. If you don't communicate you are in real trouble and you most certainly cannot play offside if for instance,your back is facing the rest of the players your team mates have to communicate to get you in the correct position.

I thought the communication bit was pretty self explanatory... and if the players are not doing it you have to question why.

Defending is about preparation primarily. You can play offside with you back to team mates if all know what the trigger to play offside is. Most communication on a football pitch is non verbal. Its arms, body shape, eyes, position with verbal use of game calls to create specific rehearsed (prepared in training) actions. 

If players are not doing the above it is a Managerial and coaching issue.

3 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Defending is about preparation primarily. You can play offside with you back to team mates if all know what the trigger to play offside is. Most communication on a football pitch is non verbal. Its arms, body shape, eyes, position with verbal use of game calls to create specific rehearsed (prepared in training) actions. 

If players are not doing the above it is a Managerial and coaching issue.

Exactly. But it's all communication, be it verbal or non verbal. If you cannot communicate ivisibly or verbally you shouldn't be in the team.

6 minutes ago, spudski said:

With the 'Blueprint' that we have set out by the Club, wouldn't any manager following that 'Blueprint', have found himself in the same position BBSB?

But with the squad with have, all those injuries, and the 'blueprint' being followed....then our 'outcome' was inevitable.

Like many including yourself i'm seriously questioning our recruitment and judgement on players, but any manager we have following SL's blueprint is going to find things hard to start with.

I'm hoping this long term strategy will come into fruition in the next couple seasons...I wasn't expecting anything this, or the next one tbh....as the long term strategy doesn't really point to top 6 very soon.

The reality is, if we blood the young talent coming through like Kelly, Vyner, Morrell etc....then they won't be top 6 quality any time soon. They will make mistakes and will be gaining experience in this division.

We may have players that have now gained experience...but none of them are leaders imo.

It's all very well having a nice group of lads to work with....but you need leaders on the pitch for those 90 mins...I haven't seen any at our club for a long time. GoN was the nearest to that. I'm not talking about players who are aggressive by nature...but who can manage situations on the pitch, who can be vocal, organise and take situations by the scruff of the neck.

As it stands now...when things are going wrong, they all look like rabbits in headlights.

Experience and leadership usually cost ££££ - Bristol City up to now will not pay the salary!

Ok, so I listened and what I learnt in terms of the footballing side of things is that we need players who can execute plan a, b, c and d. We are not in the market for established players. We were found out (the high press) and had no plan b. Some of our signings aren’t good enough yet. We need to strengthen all over the park, but standard spine, score more, concede less. We need leaders, G O’Neill could have led had he not been on the sidelines all season (didn’t lead that time we were 3-1 up away at Sheffield Wednesday though!).

Signings are done via committee.

We’ve dropped a bollock with foreign signings.

We are going to throw in the kids during pre season and hope they come good. If not then we might have to spend, but not a lot, unless Bobby and Joe go for big money. Incomings will depend on big sales.

If we keep Bobby and Joe we play the kids.

If we sell then we bring a couple in.

Can’t see a top 6 finish next season unless we get lucky.

In my opinion LJ has still got a lot to learn. 

Another year of punting on the horizon.

2 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

How much did Preston and Millwall's leadership cost I wonder? 

Well Preston sold their leader to us and we made him captain. He was a free wasn't he? Came through their youth ranks after they took a punt on him :)

13 minutes ago, spudski said:

Agree with virtually all of that

But

If LJ is buying into a structure or ethos that has serious flaws and where he has to take the blame for the shortcomings of others then.......I’m afraid I may sound harsh ........but that’s his problem

Hes highly paid in a privliged role and if he doesn’t realise the wheels are coming off or that the plan or structure has flaws which he’s copping for then he needs to accept the flak , grow a pair and speak up , or walk 

17 minutes ago, TRL said:

Exactly. But it's all communication, be it verbal or non verbal. If you cannot communicate ivisibly or verbally you shouldn't be in the team.

That is a little different to what I was implying. Communication breaks down in football teams because of various reasons - Role conflicts, role changes, stress and others, but also by assumption. Assumption by the Manager that the players are thoroughly prepared and know what they are doing. That is task cohesion through repetition - Managing and coaching.

Mr Johnson complains that after tens of millions spent, thirty plus signings he has no leaders. Leaders can be looked upon not as shouters and screamers but as players who continue to carry out tasks cohesively whatever. Mentally tough (and possibly quiet) is another way of describing leaders.

This mental toughness is part of knowing what you are doing, being prepared tactically, technically, physically and thus emotionally which leads to better communication.

Eleven players cannot be poor at communication. A back four cannot all be poor at communication. If they are it is a Managerial issue and his skills at fault. 

2 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

That is a little different to what I was implying. Communication breaks down in football teams because of various reasons - Role conflicts, role changes, stress and others, but also by assumption. Assumption by the Manager that the players are thoroughly prepared and know what they are doing. That is task cohesion through repetition - Managing and coaching.

Mr Johnson complains that after tens of millions spent, thirty plus signings he has no leaders. Leaders can be looked upon not as shouters and screamers but as players who continue to carry out tasks cohesively whatever. Mental toughness is another way of describing leaders.

This mental toughness is part of knowing what you are doing, being prepared tactically, technically, physically and thus emotionally which leads to better communication.

Eleven players cannot be poor at communication. A back four cannot all be poor at communication. If they are it is a Managerial issue and his skills at fault. 

He said they a had a meeting and collectively came to the conclusion that communication was the issue.

I'm gonna guess the blame was laid upon them and they had to agree to it. Just the impression I get. 

I'm not convinced the coaching is anywhere near good enough.

If a coach says "right, go and score" you can't blame the players for not scoring, just because that's what the players were told to do. 

I'm reading too much into this one single point, but something doesn't sit right with me at all. 

1 hour ago, TRL said:

Defence is all about communication. If you don't communicate you are in real trouble and you most certainly cannot play offside if for instance,your back is facing the rest of the players your team mates have to communicate to get you in the correct position.

I thought the communication bit was pretty self explanatory... and if the players are not doing it you have to question why.

I find it hard to understand that a team of professional players are not capable of communicating with each other on the pitch!

Do they not talk to each other when they train, did they stop communicating half way through the season and that’s why our form dropped off a cliff

No, of course not Lee! You and your coaching team either failed to motivate them or your tactics were wrong. If the players can not adapt to what you want them to do then move them on. If you cannot motivate them and apply the correct tactics then perhaps you need to consider what’s best for the club???

12 hours ago, Olé said:

I know you have a reputation for being particularly down on LJ & co, but you captured very well here what's nagging at me from that interview.

I was struck by the number of times Johnson had an answer, but still felt the need to add in an excuse too - I listed a few in my first response.

He gave himself an out with every answer. There was no substantive confidence in answers - just deflection and room to excuse future failure.

That's probably the worst takeaway. No lines were drawn, no new targets of expectations set. LJ's narrative epitomises City's soft underbelly.

Always looks to create a storyline that reduces expectations, accepts failure. Why couldn't we be bold? Smaller more limited clubs manage it.

I think a point that seems to have been missed on this thread - perhaps the club are finally toning down the promotion rhetoric?

It’s all about expectations - LJ has been very bullish in the past, talk of “premier league club in training”, “Europe in 5 years” all quotes that have been used against him by many on here and raised the fans expectations. Now people are annoyed he isn’t saying similar things again for next season?

People say he doesn’t learn from his mistakes - well perhaps he is on the media front - and just readjusting everyone’s expectations?

Could be a JL policy? SL has always been overly bullish too.

5 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

He said they a had a meeting and collectively came to the conclusion that communication was the issue.

I'm gonna guess the blame was laid upon them and they had to agree to it. Just the impression I get. 

I'm not convinced the coaching is anywhere near good enough.

If a coach says "right, go and score" you can't blame the players for not scoring, just because that's what the players were told to do. 

I'm reading too much into this one single point, but something doesn't sit right with me at all. 

And that is quite a modern but not unusual approach. 

It still requires feedback and evaluation, continuity of training, team talks, implementation and at the centre of that is Lee Johnson. It is a reflection of his Management.

1 hour ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

This. Oh, very much this!

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

The constant soundbites about injuries

Well apologies to his apologists But I’ll repeat again

If injuries and lack of ‘options’ as our Head Coach Claims had an impact , perhaps he’d like to reflect and explain , was that because HE had packed the squad out as players put aside as ones for the future , ones he’d signed but didn’t trust , loans HE signed and then decided weren’t up to it, and expensive ones HE signed who were shipped out on loan  

Unbelievable That Some on here don’t even seem to consider such things

Yup, I’m pretty fed up hearing about injuries too. Yes it was a factor but not the only reason, and as you and others have said we played our best football when we had players out injured. Preston have been mentioned several times on this and other threads, their injury crisis was as bad or worse than ours this season, they lost loads of key players very early on and at times were playing youth or failing to name a full bench of subs I believe. Maybe they had better luck with their returning as they certainly finished stronger and missed the playoffs by only 2 points on the last day.

At Millwall, who have also been mentioned several times, outside the ground I overheard one of their fans after looking at the back of their programme commenting about what a huge squad we had to chose from compared to their list of names. I guess this would also apply to Preston, I doubt if they had £2m players waiting in the wings during their crisis, and say once again they did better than us. 

Maybe it is down to managerial experience, Preston had Grayson poached by Sunderland last summer and went for proven Alex Neil, he’s a young manager. Neil Harris of Millwall isn’t vastly experienced, both managered better with less to work with than was at Lee’s disposal. Lee could do well to look at them as I’m sure next season he will be faced with having to produce more with less too.

47 minutes ago, spudski said:

The comments about leaders are spot on.

My very strong suspicion is that the current HC would have difficulties with those type of individuals hence we don’t have or are unlikely to have any of those anytime soon.

Archived