IGNORED

CUSTOMERS, FANS OR SUPPORTERS...HELP ME OUT .WHATS THE DIFFERENCE?

generation1

I read lots of threads on this site saying that the club no longer wants fans only customers.

Surely nearly all of us are already customers. I buy a ST spend money in the concourse and very rarely in the shop so that must make me a customer.

For many years i was part of the group that an the Junior Reds providing help to the club on matchdays  so that must make me a supporter.

As one of the older group now I find myself talking a lot about the club so surely that makes me a fan.

What am I? where is the difference?

I do not like the name given to newer fans of Plastics as some of them may well move on to be better fans than existing ones. nor do I like the insult superfan that is thrown at anyone who tries to explain their love of the club.

Help me out people tell me why I cannot understand the differences in folk who only gather to watch City

18 minutes ago, generation1 said:

I read lots of threads on this site saying that the club no longer wants fans only customers.

Surely nearly all of us are already customers. I buy a ST spend money in the concourse and very rarely in the shop so that must make me a customer.

For many years i was part of the group that an the Junior Reds providing help to the club on matchdays  so that must make me a supporter.

As one of the older group now I find myself talking a lot about the club so surely that makes me a fan.

What am I? where is the difference?

I do not like the name given to newer fans of Plastics as some of them may well move on to be better fans than existing ones. nor do I like the insult superfan that is thrown at anyone who tries to explain their love of the club.

Help me out people tell me why I cannot understand the differences in folk who only gather to watch City

you are what you are

or

what you want to be.

1 hour ago, Singingsuperstar said:

Fans of football

Supporters of team

Customers of club

This is the answer.

The club see us as a revenue stream, they don't look to the future, just current sales.

There is a massive customer base of middle income earners in Bristol and the region. BS, (is that Bull shit?) are targeting that group of people to be their new, enlarged core support base. The traditional working class supporter will, make no mistake, be ditched for this type of customer, the evidence is staring us in the face. If that brings success for our club and we can all enjoy it, then great but, god help them if it goes tits up, because that new customer base will not be as loyal, so will choose to spend their excess £s, elsewhere. 

At the Cardiff home game there were some red & white cards being placed in the South Stand, which were supposed to create the image of the flag of Saint George, unfortunately BS didn't want to upset the customers at the other end of the ground. So we ended up with the flag of Croatia.

Fans want to make Ashton Gate a difficult place for the opposition to play, but BS want to make it a nice place for all customers.

Being a ‘fan’ feels like you have involvement of the club, being a ‘supporter’ is much the same.

A ‘customer’ feels more like you are turning up to ‘experience’ a ‘product’. A plastic feeling, everything neat, nice and fair. That isn’t football. 

A customer is about money. A fan is about heart and passion. The two can overlap but only a fool would see them as the same thing.

The bottom line is: how much will it cost to win your heart?

If the club wish to treat us as customers then they have to accept it when we act like customers i.e. when the product is no longer acceptable the customer will shop elsewhere. The problem is we aren't customers we are, to varying degrees, fan(atics)

The club have made huge improvements to the infrastructure, updating the ground, the academy and the retail side of things. The one part they have so far ignored is the supporters. Yes the ground is fantastic yes we do appreciate Steve Lansdown's financial support and we all love to see Bristolians succeeding in the first team. But I,  like many others around my age remember wet Tuesday nights at Ashton Gate in the bottom league following the monumental fall from the old 1st Division. When we felt lucky to still have a club to support. 

Bristol City Football Club didn't  come into existence when Steve Lansdown became a director. Bristol City isn't Ashton Gate or corporate hospitality, although additional revenue is great (and those who use the hospitality could be classed as customer.) This club is about its supporters, it's fans. It's about 4k fans watching 4th div. football in the early 80's or taking 30 or 40k to Wembley for a micky mouse final. These people aren't customers they are the life blood of the club. Call me a fan or supporter but don't treat us like customers or we may start acting like it.

Archived