IGNORED

England Squad Wednesday

And Its Smith

21 minutes ago, Gratbot said:

Everyone suggesting a formation with 4 at the back can forget it and clearly didn't watch the Netherlands & Italy friendlies. I know it's not saying much and there isn't much competition, but the Netherlands game is the most entertained I've been watching England for a long time.

People have been crying out for England to have a defined system and style of play for years and that's what GS is trying to do with his 3 at the back. 
I fully expect him to stick with that fluid 3-5-2 formation going forward. As such, the squad will be picked choosing players that can best utilise the positions in that formation. Expect to see very few wingers.

I predict the starting line up for the first game will be:

Pickford

Walker          Stones*         Maguire

Trippier                                                                Young / Rose

Henderson

Lingard                        Wilshere**

Sterling           Kane      

* most likely candidate but could also be Jones in here. Personally would love to see Lascelles play there but it won't happen.
** real shame that the Ox got injured because this was his spot. Wilshere probably the next best fit as Alli isn't disciplined enough to fill the role. RLC could be a contender and I think he'd do a great job here.

Alli, Vardy and Rashford are the biggest omissions and I expect them to be impact players in the big games (Belgium + knockouts), and possibly start the 'easier' games.
Shelvey looks to be this years potential wildcard pick and he might get a game over Henderson against someone like Panama.

No Sterling? Wow

5 hours ago, ZiderEyed said:

What a side that was.

Was saying on here about a month ago that England had a potential midfield of Cole - Lampard - Scholes - Gerrard - Beckham, we should've/could've been the best team in the world.

Campbell and Terry at the back as well. Proper hard footballers by modern standards.

And then Owen up front with Rooney on the bench, not to forget a back four of Cole Terry Campbell neville. What a team that was

8 hours ago, ZiderEyed said:

What a side that was.

Was saying on here about a month ago that England had a potential midfield of Cole - Lampard - Scholes - Gerrard - Beckham, we should've/could've been the best team in the world.

Campbell and Terry at the back as well. Proper hard footballers by modern standards.

No 

Great players Poor team

IF they played as a team they Could have been one of the greats

Club came first though

4 hours ago, Gratbot said:

Everyone suggesting a formation with 4 at the back can forget it and clearly didn't watch the Netherlands & Italy friendlies. I know it's not saying much and there isn't much competition, but the Netherlands game is the most entertained I've been watching England for a long time.

People have been crying out for England to have a defined system and style of play for years and that's what GS is trying to do with his 3 at the back. 
I fully expect him to stick with that fluid 3-5-2 formation going forward. As such, the squad will be picked choosing players that can best utilise the positions in that formation. Expect to see very few wingers.

I predict the starting line up for the first game will be:

Pickford

Walker          Stones*         Maguire

Trippier                                                                Young / Rose

Henderson

Lingard                        Wilshere**

Sterling           Kane      

* most likely candidate but could also be Jones in here. Personally would love to see Lascelles play there but it won't happen.
** real shame that the Ox got injured because this was his spot. Wilshere probably the next best fit as Alli isn't disciplined enough to fill the role. RLC could be a contender and I think he'd do a great job here.

Alli, Vardy and Rashford are the biggest omissions and I expect them to be impact players in the big games (Belgium + knockouts), and possibly start the 'easier' games.
Shelvey looks to be this years potential wildcard pick and he might get a game over Henderson against someone like Panama.

Like that team but would have Vardy up front not sterling

9 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Yeah, that's why I quite like the idea of bringing someone like Defoe or Baines. 

Not exactly spoilt for choice these days..

My favourite recent England squad was 2004 where I actually thought (and still think!) we should've won. Apart from City goalkeeping legend David James it was a seriously strong side.

Image result for england euro 2004

A great tournament to go to . Nice small country,nice weather,easy to get to,and most people were quite friendly !in other words every thing Russia’s not.........

Sessengnon and Shelvey in. 

Henderson and Wilshere out.

Low risk Gareth Safegate will no doubt opt for the later two .... but we can all dream. 

Oh... and add Crouchy, consistently the most underrated footballer in England and still worthy of the extra club in the bag substitute role.

1 hour ago, Moor2Sea said:

Sessengnon and Shelvey in. 

Henderson and Wilshere out.

Low risk Gareth Safegate will no doubt opt for the later two .... but we can all dream. 

Oh... and add Crouchy, consistently the most underrated footballer in England and still worthy of the extra club in the bag substitute role.

Drop the captain of a team in the Champions League final and also bring in a bloke who will be a Championship striker next year? 

Each to their own

Damned formations, but for England to play well (ignore results for now) we need to go with Cotts 352/3412.

I’d start the tournament with this line-up probably:

Pickford

Walker / Stones / Maguire

Trippier / Henderson / Loftus-Cheek / Young

Lingard

Kane / Vardy

I could quite easily replace Kane (yes Kane) or Lingard with Sterling.

I don’t rate Stones, but our only way of playing through the thirds is to have players who can play.  

Lingard over Alli for me....been better for England than Alli, plus works harder off the ball.  Wouldn’t play Henderson and Dier together.  RL-C now Oxlade is injured.  Shelvey defo in squad....no Wilshere.

I’m sure most of you won’t like it!!

Other players;

Butland, Hart

Akexander-Arnold, Gomes, Rose, Jones

Dier, Sterling, Alli, Lallana, Shelvey

Rashford, Welbeck

Probably missed someone obvious.

4 minutes ago, Selred said:

Drop the captain of a team in the Champions League final and also bring in a bloke who will be a Championship striker next year? 

Each to their own

Yep. Henderson slows the game down so much with his backwards and sideways passing that our quick-break, through-ball forwards get clogged up in a mass defence and become totally ineffective, as do our attacking midfielders and wingers.

Think you’ll find lots of teams - Iceland to name but one - play non top league players. Build a team, not a collection of individuals.

Oh, and of course selecting exclusively top league players (90% from the top six) for England for the past 50 years has worked so well hasn’t it.

1 minute ago, Moor2Sea said:

Yep. Henderson slows the game down so much with his backwards and sideways passing that our quick-break, through-ball forwards get clogged up in a mass defence and become totally ineffective, as do our attacking midfielders and wingers.

Think you’ll find lots of teams - Iceland to name but one - play non top league players. Build a team, not a collection of individuals.

Oh, and of course selecting exclusively top league players (90% from the top six) for England for the past 50 years has worked so well hasn’t it.

If this is true why does Henderson captain Liverpool - probably the team that most requires quick through balls to rapid forwards?

Agree with the other points though.

6 minutes ago, Moor2Sea said:

We don’t win the ball back if we don’t play Henderson.  Less sideways and back when he’s got the right players alongside him (not  Dier).  Did you watch the last batch of friendlies.  He was very good.

4 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

....and over Wilshere....

Winks - average, over hyped

Wilshere - could’ve been good, not though.

2 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

If this is true why does Henderson captain Liverpool - probably the team that most requires quick through balls to rapid forwards?

Agree with the other points though.

Think he plays a different role for England. Certainly up to the last game he was the most negative England player I have the misfortune to watch. 

I did detect in his last England game a few forward passes and, indeed one or possible two, long range forward passes. This is good. Maybe he’s been told to be more adventurous by Southgate or he’s read so much criticism about his style of England play he decided to become more ‘progressive’ himself.

Whatever the reason, and I’m 100% confident Southgate will include him in the squad/team let’s hope his England ‘progression’ continues.

Kane is our best player, we need to keep it as Spurs like as possible. With 2 up top he gets overcrowded and it doesn’t work, see Euros 2016. My XI would like like this to get the best out of Alli and Kane.

———————— Pope ————————

—— Walker - Stones - Maguire ——

Trippier ——————————— Young

———— Hendo —— Shelvey —————

——— Sterling — Alli — Lingard ———

———————— Kane ————————— 

Rashford,Vardy, Lallana, Sessegnon, Alexander-Arnold on the bench or to change things up as well. 

With our our group we need players in all positions that are capable of traveling with the ball and looking for a killer pass. Stones, Maguire and Walker offer that from CB. Trippier has a wicked cross on him and Young cutting in from the left has been dangerous for Utd this season. Our midfield lacks that nasty/fierce edge and Shelvey has that alongside good form going into the WC. Has a goal in him as well. Hendo is captain and will almost certainly be starting. Sterling has had an outstanding season and is used to having a free roam role behind the striker, as does Alli and Lingard. As I said before, this set up is what Kane is used to and we need him firing if we want to succeed. 

4 minutes ago, You Do The Dziekanowski said:

Kane is our best player, we need to keep it as Spurs like as possible. With 2 up top he gets overcrowded and it doesn’t work, see Euros 2016. My XI would like like this to get the best out of Alli and Kane.

———————— Pope ————————

———————— Kane ————————— 

Rashford,Vardy, Lallana, Sessegnon, Alexander-Arnold on the bench or to change things up as well. 

With our our group we need players in all positions that are capable of traveling with the ball and looking for a killer pass. Stones, Maguire and Walker offer that from CB. Trippier has a wicked cross on him and Young cutting in from the left has been dangerous for Utd this season. Our midfield lacks that nasty/fierce edge and Shelvey has that alongside good form going into the WC. Has a goal in him as well. Hendo is captain and will almost certainly be starting. Sterling has had an outstanding season and is used to having a free roam role behind the striker, as does Alli and Lingard. As I said before, this set up is what Kane is used to and we need him firing if we want to succeed. 

Doubt we’d win it even with the 12 players you propose

4 minutes ago, You Do The Dziekanowski said:

———————— Pope ————————

———————— Kane ————————— 

I think that team would do well

12 players is a big advantage.  Is Southgate brave enough to go with it?

Hart

Glen Johnson (John Glenson) - Shawcross - Jagielka - Baines

Adam Johnson (On parole) - Barry - Carrick - Albrighton

Crouch - Sturridge

All wrapped in a nice neat four four facking two. No surrender.

2 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

Hart

Glen Johnson (John Glenson) - Shawcross - Jagielka - Baines

Adam Johnson (On parole) - Barry - Carrick - Albrighton

Crouch - Sturridge

All wrapped in a nice neat four four facking two. No surrender.

What no Terry.. in the team of the year for the EFL...  he may add some much needed pace to the back line!

44 minutes ago, Moor2Sea said:

Think he plays a different role for England. Certainly up to the last game he was the most negative England player I have the misfortune to watch. 

I did detect in his last England game a few forward passes and, indeed one or possible two, long range forward passes. This is good. Maybe he’s been told to be more adventurous by Southgate or he’s read so much criticism about his style of England play he decided to become more ‘progressive’ himself.

Whatever the reason, and I’m 100% confident Southgate will include him in the squad/team let’s hope his England ‘progression’ continues.

He’ll be captain I reckon.

1 hour ago, Moor2Sea said:

Plays holding midfield for both England and Liverpool.  if he is all this you say once again he is why is he Captain of a very exciting and attacking Liverpool team??

Archived