IGNORED

England Squad Wednesday

And Its Smith

I like Joe Hart, but the guy needs a clean break away from Man City and the Premier League.  He didn't set the world alight in Italy, but it'd be good for him to build form away from the prying media eyes.

Sessegnon should be nowhere near the side. He's a talented kid, but for the better part of a decade we've been throwing kids into the senior squad before they are barely ready, and I think it's unfair to put that kind of pressure on these kids. It's how we end up with another failed generation of talent.

For this World Cup, I'd err more towards experience, but mostly towards players that can play well together. 

I can't see how Dier escapes question. I find him so frustrating, slow and negative when he plays for England. There can be a perfectly good postive pass on, he'll still get into trouble searching for a backwards one.

I wouldn't start him, therefore would have to take Shelvey instead. At least he's a different club in the bag.

14 minutes ago, Paul Turnip said:

I can't see how Dier escapes question. I find him so frustrating, slow and negative when he plays for England. There can be a perfectly good postive pass on, he'll still get into trouble searching for a backwards one.

I wouldn't start him, therefore would have to take Shelvey instead. At least he's a different club in the bag.

The Holding Midfielder role is the key to football since the turn of the century. All successful teams have that one player that allows the attacking players to flourish and brings stability to the defence too. Often an unsung hero. Makelele for Cheslea, Gilberto Silva for Arsenal, Fernandino for Man City, Carrick for Man Utd. All title winning players who got nowhere near the credit they deserved as that went to other players.

Dier in my opinion does this role brilliantly for Spurs (mind you it help's having Dembele next to him, but the reason why Dembele plays like he does is because he's safe in the knowledge that Dier is covering all the time). I can't compare him to Makelele and Mascherano as they were far superior but he does the same thing as them, they may be limited going forward but defensively, you would not have anybody else.

Shelvey on the other hand, does not offer that defensive stability as he's out of position too often and the opposition can expose the midfield space that he should be covering, this is something that a Newcastle supporting friend of mine has said for a while about Shelvey now. Shelvey and Dier together could be an option, depending on the formation that Southgate might put out. My midfield 2 would be Dier and Henderson. You could put 3 in the middle and have the both of them plus another, but that might negate the attacking threat somewhat.

2 minutes ago, The Batman said:

The Holding Midfielder role is the key to football since the turn of the century. All successful teams have that one player that allows the attacking players to flourish and brings stability to the defence too. Often an unsung hero. Makelele for Cheslea, Gilberto Silva for Arsenal, Fernandino for Man City, Carrick for Man Utd. All title winning players who got nowhere near the credit they deserved as that went to other players.

Dier in my opinion does this role brilliantly for Spurs (mind you it help's having Dembele next to him, but the reason why Dembele plays like he does is because he's safe in the knowledge that Dier is covering all the time). I can't compare him to Makelele and Mascherano as they were far superior but he does the same thing as them, they may be limited going forward but defensively, you would not have anybody else.

Shelvey on the other hand, does not offer that defensive stability as he's out of position too often and the opposition can expose the midfield space that he should be covering, this is something that a Newcastle supporting friend of mine has said for a while about Shelvey now. Shelvey and Dier together could be an option, depending on the formation that Southgate might put out. My midfield 2 would be Dier and Henderson. You could put 3 in the middle and have the both of them plus another, but that might negate the attacking threat somewhat.

Oh absolutely, appreciate they aren't a like for like replacement. I think Henderson and two others centrally in a 3-5-2, but just see Henderson and Dier as too negative.

Dier seems like a totally different player to me when I watch him for Engand over Spurs. Maybe we'd be left short of options in that role though if he stayed at home. Which he won't anyway...

15 hours ago, JasonM88 said:

Doubt we’d win it even with the 12 players you propose

15 hours ago, RedDave said:

I think that team would do well

12 players is a big advantage.  Is Southgate brave enough to go with it?

15 hours ago, RedDave said:

He is thinking outside the box (laws).  Give him credit.  5 2 3 1 is my new fave formation 

Alright alright, I wasn’t meant to include Alli :mf_sleep:

1 hour ago, Super said:

Wilshere out Delph in apparently.

He's a good player but the blokes made of glass, just not suited to the physical intensity of a World Cup. 

Delph is a solid addition. Tidy player and good in a number of positions.

I would have Delph in my squad. Don't know much about the defenders to be honest but assuming Hart, Wilshere and Bertrand are out I'd go for:

3-5-2

GK: Pickford, Butland, Pope

CB: Stones, Jones, Smalling, Maguire

WB: Walker, Trippier, Rose, Young, Delph

CM: Henderson, Ali, Dier, Loftus Cheek, Lallana, ?????

ST: Kane, Vardy, Welbeck, Lingard, Sterling

22 hours ago, You Do The Dziekanowski said:

My XI would like like this to get the best out of Alli and Kane.

———————— Pope ————————

—— Walker - Stones - Maguire ——

Trippier ——————————— Young

———— Hendo —— Shelvey —————

——— Sterling — Alli — Lingard ———

———————— Kane ————————— 

Your ‘XI’ ??!!! - go on, count them.....you can’t be greedy!

8 hours ago, Monkeh said:

good call from Southgate, Hart has been awful this season and made mistake after mistake, 

Pickford has been a bit dodgy recently too....he should have saved all three West Ham goals in the last game....oh for the days of Shilton, Clemence, Corrigan......now that was a top, top group of keepers for England....

On 14/05/2018 at 10:08, ZiderEyed said:

What a side that was.

Was saying on here about a month ago that England had a potential midfield of Cole - Lampard - Scholes - Gerrard - Beckham, we should've/could've been the best team in the world.

Campbell and Terry at the back as well. Proper hard footballers by modern standards.

If Rio Ferdinand hadn't have got himself entangled in a drugs test scandal then that is a seriously strong looking defence even with DJ in goal who from around 2004-2008 seemed to hit a purple patch of form compared to his calamity James past.

That team should have won euro 2004. Best team in europe by a country mile. Yet we still managed to balls it up. Gahhhhhh!

9 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Pickford has been a bit dodgy recently too....he should have saved all three West Ham goals in the last game....oh for the days of Shilton, Clemence, Corrigan......now that was a top, top group of keepers for England....

all of them have been dodgy but hart couldn't even get into a very poor west ham side 

14 minutes ago, The Batman said:

Does anyone actually know what time the squad release is? Tried looking on the BBC website and the Guardian and nothing has come up. They just said it would be today

Same, the time doesn't seem to be confirmed. I only got one step further by hearing on the radio that it will be this afternoon... No indication of what time this afternoon though. 

40 minutes ago, MC26 said:

Same, the time doesn't seem to be confirmed. I only got one step further by hearing on the radio that it will be this afternoon... No indication of what time this afternoon though. 

So either 12:01 or 17:59 :laugh:

It'll probably be leaked beforehand anyway.

1 minute ago, Coxy27 said:

Where have you seen that Super?

I'm a little disappointed, if true.

it was on the beeb,

I'm not disappointed, he's unproven, we've seen plenty of players rip the championship apart only to fail in the prem, and I can't really see him getting in ahead of the likes of Clyne and Rose, its just a waste of a space in the squad, much like Wallcott under Swen,

He may well turn into a world class player but is he ready for the world cup?

10 minutes ago, Coxy27 said:

Where have you seen that Super?

I'm a little disappointed, if true.

Posted at 10:59

No place for Sessegnon in England squad

686432e5-e98c-4df8-9b77-fff822041cc4.jpg

David Ornstein

BBC Sport

There will be no place for Fulham sensation Ryan Sessegnon in the 23-man England squad or back-ups that Gareth Southgate names today.

It is seen as a sensible decision for a 17-year-old left sided player who has scored 16 goals in 51 appearances this season and could yet help Fulham to the Premier League in the Championship play-off final

13 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

it was on the beeb,

I'm not disappointed, he's unproven, we've seen plenty of players rip the championship apart only to fail in the prem, and I can't really see him getting in ahead of the likes of Clyne and Rose, its just a waste of a space in the squad, much like Wallcott under Swen,

He may well turn into a world class player but is he ready for the world cup?

6 minutes ago, Super said:

Posted at 10:59

No place for Sessegnon in England squad

686432e5-e98c-4df8-9b77-fff822041cc4.jpg

David Ornstein

BBC Sport

There will be no place for Fulham sensation Ryan Sessegnon in the 23-man England squad or back-ups that Gareth Southgate names today.

It is seen as a sensible decision for a 17-year-old left sided player who has scored 16 goals in 51 appearances this season and could yet help Fulham to the Premier League in the Championship play-off final

Fair enough. Southgate obviously hasn't wanted to take the risk, which you can understand given the importance of this tournament, for him and for England generally.

For me personally, for the last couple of spots in the 23, we're probably debating over some fairly average names, the likes of Livermore, Clyne or Rose as you mention Monkeh that aren't really getting a look in for their clubs just now, or a few younger 'risks'. They may not all play the same position of course, but I feel like a wildcard choice like Sessegnon might have proven more valuable than picking these above. We know what they can do and what they're limited to, whereas Sessegnon is a bit of an unknown, probably not got the fear of failure that others might, could maybe have provided an edge, done something opponents aren't expecting.

Who knows how it will work out, I can understand the decision, I just think if it was me, I would have taken a few more risks than we will do.

Archived