IGNORED

Interesting read about Dyche

Granty

14 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

My memory of those times is general booing at the crap inflicted on us by Pulis, not Dyche being booed individually.

Pulis arrived after Dyche had already left the club in 1999.

Dyche was definitely booed as an individual, most memorably in a home game against WBA that was played on a Sunday. This one in fact:

image.png.846bb445096ddda8e853dc2eb2c9e820.png

14 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

My memory of those times is general booing at the crap inflicted on us by Pulis, not Dyche being booed individually.

The Post never loses an opportunity to recycle ancient stuff like this, whilst never doing so about the other lot...

I can never recall Dyche being booed individually but much like that shameful incident recently with Bailey Wright, it was definitely the case that his substitution at home to West Brom (when he had been awful) was cheered by a very big section of the crowd.

This is all 20 years ago now though, I did read an article about him where he was scathing at the quality of the medical care he received at AG, implying that a famous old physio of ours didn’t have a clue.

I think he has done an amazing job at Burnley but still think his time down here rankles with him..

14 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Dyche was definitely booed as an individual, most memorably in a home game against WBA that was played on a Sunday. This one in fact:

Fair enough. I lived in the YooEssAy back then, so my attendance was sporadic to say the least and my memory obviously clouded by having to feign an interest in the New England Patriots when I was at work.

34 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

The number of players too thin skinned to cope with a bit of booing. Jeez. 

Any teenager working in a call centre deals with worse. EVERY DAY. 

Yeah and you ought to hear what my Mrs calls me!

33 minutes ago, EmissionImpossible said:

Dyche was certainly booed. He was dreadful when he played for us.

In preseason we played Everton and he had a great game. The season started and he made a mistake and from that point an element of the fans were on his back and as it got worse his performances were effected.

As a fan of Bristol City I was disappointed what my peers around me were doing. 

Just now, redsapper said:

In preseason we played Everton and he had a great game. The season started and he made a mistake and from that point an element of the fans were on his back and as it got worse his performances were effected.

As a fan of Bristol City I was disappointed what my peers around me were doing. 

yep he got loads of abuse even when injured, most of it uncalled for, but as it shows and he says, it helped shape him as a man and a manager,

21 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

The real question coming out of this is, do we now have the right skill sets.

I think the jury is out on the answer, given Fredericks, Tomlin, Diony. Kent, Magnússon et al and the long list of injuries last season

• Fredericks is a fine player, no trouble fitting at Fulham. Maybe our dressing room is an issue?
  • Tomlin did great for us on loan...decent for 3 months when permanent, but turned out to be trouble.
  • Diony- big blunder, albeit badly miscalculated too.
  • Kent? Did well at Barnsley, did poor here.
  • Magnússon- Don't think he's been that bad for us has he? He's been hit and miss, but he's hardly been disastrous.

Personally, I think our skill sets are better than 10 years ago, whether they are properly good enough it's hard to say. All clubs make bad signings though.

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

Fair enough. I lived in the YooEssAy back then, so my attendance was sporadic to say the least and my memory obviously clouded by having to feign an interest in the New England Patriots when I was at work.

You obviously were watching Leicestershire United v Portland Valiants.

Wasn't just booed at either according to this Sag......... Such lying, thieving scum it's unreal, say it enough and it's true. Never happened whatsoever.

pirate
Rickie Lambert

pirate Avatar

Posting Level

Next Level in 1459 posts
2 hours ago via mobile
Post Options

Post by pirate on 2 hours ago

I'm sure there have been others, but I specifically remember Dyce being spat at by his own supporters during his time south of the river.

3 minutes ago, BCFC11 said:

Wasn't just booed at either according to this Sag......... Such lying, thieving scum it's unreal, say it enough and it's true. Never happened whatsoever.

pirate
Rickie Lambert

pirate Avatar

Posting Level

Next Level in 1459 posts
2 hours ago via mobile
Post Options

I'm sure there have been others, but I specifically remember Dyce being spat at by his own supporters during his time south of the river.

They are hilarious.

I was going to ask how long it would take for them to pick up on this article to further back their obvious superiority as fans. So predictable. 

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

but much like that shameful incident recently with Bailey Wright,

Crikey - "shameful", I don't think so, ball not in play, captain misplacing virtually every pass, team being over run because of his inability to marshall a defence - the shame was all on the pitch that day. 

37 minutes ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

Crikey - "shameful", I don't think so, ball not in play, captain misplacing virtually every pass, team being over run because of his inability to marshall a defence - the shame was all on the pitch that day. 

Cheering the substitution of one of your own players is to me..

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Cheering the substitution of one of your own players is to me..

If it was still the season (and it still mattered) I would say any fan who blindly accepts and claps any performance from the Captain, just because he wears the shirt, deserves what they get.

Surely if the terraces set the standards of expectation - not too high, but the basics of just try to give a sh*t, then the players would raise their game it's not all LJ's fault?

48 minutes ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

If it was still the season (and it still mattered) I would say any fan who blindly accepts and claps any performance from the Captain, just because he wears the shirt, deserves what they get.

Surely if the terraces set the standards of expectation - not too high, but the basics of just try to give a sh*t, then the players would raise their game it's not all LJ's fault?

I didn’t say anything about clapping any performance, did I?

Doing that and cheering a substitution are completely different things.

Wright was very poor that day, being asked to play out of position on the left hand side of central defence, but if you seriously think he ever plays like he “doesn’t give a shit” then either your judgement or eyesight are shockingly bad.

I remember Dyche as being a good centre-half but with the distinct feel of having a mistake in him every game. That era was not a great one and the rest of the team often didn't help. Either way, he did get caught out and felt the wrath of us fans. He wasn't the first and already won't be the last (the last game against Sheff Utd being the latest in that vein).

However, the upshot of all that was that he had to bear the criticism and has responded by getting tougher. It could have made him buckle, but he rose above it. This may yet be his most important strength in management.

I can't remember Dyche being booed specifically (although that's not to say it didn't happen), but I do remember him being very poor for us. Not surprising if he wasn't fit. 

8 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

My main memory from that game is that we were outplayed as the realisation hit home that we were out of our depth.

6 hours ago, BCFC11 said:

pirate
Rickie Lambert

pirate Avatar

Posting Level

Next Level in 1459 posts
2 hours ago via mobile
Post Options

And even if it did happen how would this fewer know? Maybe secret trips to Ashton Gate?

5 minutes ago, Offside said:

I can't remember Dyche being booed specifically (although that's not to say it didn't happen), but I do remember him being very poor for us. Not surprising if he wasn't fit. 

My main memory from that game is that we were outplayed as the realisation hit home that we were out of our depth.

And even if it did happen how would this fewer know? Maybe secret trips to Ashton Gate?

Those fckrs see things everyone else doesn’t. Whether they are there or not. I’ve always said they are special.

Archived