IGNORED

Bailey Wright

MurrayLives

As a glory hunting newbie, I don't know anything much about the club before this season.  Looking on soccerstats I see that last year we had a relegation fight.  We seemed to be letting in at least two every game any losing almost all of them.  That was until about March when sometimes we stopped letting two in, and started not losing every game.  I know in that Jan Transfer Window we got Bailey in.  I really don't know as I was not following the club, but was it his influence that pegged back the leakage.

Was it the last international break where he seemed to lose a yard of pace (which is not his best characteristic anyway)?  Was he playing though an injury?

He always seemed to be in charge of shouting and pointing, and I think we have missed that.  Love Korey, but his shouting and pointing isn't as good.

26 minutes ago, Jan Window said:

As a glory hunting newbie, I don't know anything much about the club before this season.  Looking on soccerstats I see that last year we had a relegation fight.  We seemed to be letting in at least two every game any losing almost all of them.  That was until about March when sometimes we stopped letting two in, and started not losing every game.  I know in that Jan Transfer Window we got Bailey in.  I really don't know as I was not following the club, but was it his influence that pegged back the leakage.

Was it the last international break where he seemed to lose a yard of pace (which is not his best characteristic anyway)?  Was he playing though an injury?

He always seemed to be in charge of shouting and pointing, and I think we have missed that.  Love Korey, but his shouting and pointing isn't as good.

Bailey is a good player, liked within the squad and is our club captain. People like to jump on him because he had to play out of position for pretty much all of the season, even if that was LJ's fault for not sorting out the issue at RB which has been a persistent one ever since we returned to the Championship. I quite liked him last season, and he offered a nastiness that our other defenders at the time simply did not have. It was our lack of 'streetwise' tactics that had made us such a nice side to play against, and Bailey definitely helped with this. I did not agree with the decision to make him club captain, but when Flint was set to leave most people here were more than happy to have Bailey as the RCB. Sadly, when you're on a forum that probably has an average age in the late 50s, remembering things collectively isn't exactly a strong point.

He got caught out quite a lot, but then again I don't think any other of our senior CBs would have even filled in at RB. I think people are seriously overthinking this one; he's had an injury and the new Aus manager probably doesn't want to take a chance on that. Him being jeered off by the fans was absolutely pathetic. Not his fault that Pisano got a serious injury and then came back not up to scratch. Not his fault that LJ naively failed to cover the RB situation, even in January when it was extremely apparent we were being figured out.

1 hour ago, Jan Window said:

We haven't had a good pointer in the squad since Neil Kilkenny.

Now that was a player who knew where his index finger was. 

2 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

We haven't had a good pointer in the squad since Neil Kilkenny.

Now that was a player who knew where his index finger was. 

We have Walsh who has shown a remarkable ability for pointing in his fleeting appearances

Lots Of promise there 

#Pointerforthefuture

15 hours ago, upthebracket said:

Funny how's he's classed as sub-standard on this forum. According to the whoscored website (of which their stats have been used to highlight performances of other players on previous threads) Bailey Wright when played at centre back is only 0.02 below Flint for average rating per game. Even when he's played out of position at right back he's given his all to the position despite technically not having the assets to excel in that there yet still gets slated on here. Second highest tackles per game out of the squad and the highest pass completion rate out of our centre backs yet still useless to some on here...

I just really want to know what Bailey Wright "haters" really dislike about him to label him as useless.

From what I see, it’s two things:

- He’s LJs chosen captain, so is a lightning rod for criticism as being one of his favourites - debate and discuss whether you’d rather have him, Flint or Baker in the side but if LJ chooses him over one of the aforementioned then for some people it’ll never be for the right reasons, but because he’s the bosses favourite. So he gets it in lieu of LJ

- He’s not Aden Flint. Personally, I think he offers a lot of things that Flint doesn’t by way of organising the defence (watch the SU game back - that defence is all at sea and had BW been there at least someone would have been organising. For all Flints strengths, and I’ve said it before, he plays in a bubble - leads by example but not by bringing the team along. Nowt wrong with that, but you need both). Both because he’s not Flint, and because he’s not that type of player - or Baker - who when In is our best CB - some won’t give him a fair crack.

What he is - is a player who up until the new year played damn well out of position, and then fought through injury thereafter - to a point where the playing through pain, and not as well as he can therefore, has lost him form and probably a WC place.

Personally, I think the guys got commitment, character, is in our best 11 when fit and has never given less than 100% even while injured. So yep, I’m with you - I do not get the hate. Full stop. The stats back it up and I’m yet to see a plausible reason outside the above why he gets pellets.

I'm an old fashioned guy and don't go a lot on all the walks around the pitch by the players to clap fans at the end of a game. Maybe if they've just won a title or a cup but not every league game. 

But it's the modern thing, so while Wright was having a real mare in the game when he was subbed, I felt the booing was over the top. He's worked hard in every game, mostly out of position and at the end of some of our worst performances in the last four months, he cut a forlorn figure trudging round the pitch on his own,  to applaud us. 

We should have allowed him his worst game since he joined us without all the derision that some of us threw at him that day. 

A real shame for him if he doesn't get a call for World Cup duty. Missing the pinnacle of one's career, must be heartbreaking. 

1 minute ago, Maggersno1Fan said:

Bristol City fans are a very special bunch 

Do you know exactly what happened that night? I bumped into Bradley in a cafe soon after that incident, had a long chat with him. Top bloke and very popular amongst City fans.....not sure what you mean by your comment...

1 minute ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Do you know exactly what happened that night? I bumped into Bradley in a cafe soon after that incident, had a long chat with him. Top bloke and very popular amongst City fans.....not sure what you mean by your comment...

No neither do I care, do you know what I was doing that :laugh: 

what I mean is Fans will slate a player, get Orr and they loved him.

all baffling 

Obviously I’m not a professional but played RCB at a pretty decent level, when switched over to LCB it was a whole new ball game, not on my favoured side, positioning all over the shop, just couldn’t ever get used to playing that side, you’ve either got it and can comfortably slot straight in or you struggle. Bailey cannot play LCB.

23 hours ago, upthebracket said:

Funny how's he's classed as sub-standard on this forum. According to the whoscored website (of which their stats have been used to highlight performances of other players on previous threads) Bailey Wright when played at centre back is only 0.02 below Flint for average rating per game. Even when he's played out of position at right back he's given his all to the position despite technically not having the assets to excel in that there yet still gets slated on here. Second highest tackles per game out of the squad and the highest pass completion rate out of our centre backs yet still useless to some on here...

I just really want to know what Bailey Wright "haters" really dislike about him to label him as useless.

This is Bristol City, we always need a scapegoat to have an irrational dislike for.

16 hours ago, Maggersno1Fan said:

I don’t think it’s him I think it to do more with the cursed RB postion.

Seriously name 1 good RB that everyone loved in the last 10 years.

not even Ayling was fully over

Bradley Orr? Or is that your 10-year cut off point?

On 14/05/2018 at 22:57, Up The City! said:

He wasn’t selected because he’s shit.

Blimey, what have you done with the real @Up The City! :ermm:

When I think back to the season before last when we used to argue, it was always because you found more reason to be positive than I could!

I can't believe I will now have to swap sides, unless your account has been hacked? In any case, I think that post is incredibly harsh on Wright.

I do suspect he's one of those players who is not going to take us to the next level, but in the medium term he's an honest pro who does a job. 

I've never really understood the sudden writing off of him - he was simply beaten too easily at Leeds and had a total shocker versus Brentford.

But he was also a consistent part of our team in the more successful run and on balance has done far more good for us last season than bad.

If I compare it to the way Baker mailed in some of his defensive challenges towards the end of the season, Wright is the last of our problems!! 

4 minutes ago, Olé said:

I do suspect he's one of those players who is not going to take us to the next level, but in the medium term he's an honest pro 

For Feigning the head injury at Fulham I cannot agree 

Don't get the slating of Wright at  all- he's generally been solid for us IMO.

He was part of the defensive structure during our great run, but sometimes it's not the best individuals but the best shape, the best structure...

Him and Magnússon were not our best in those full back positions...however it just worked. 4 centre backs, helped make us more compact. That shape helped Wright and the team. 

Put him RB in a 4-4-2 though...different. Somehow in that particular shape, the 4-4-1-1, ability to tuck in more readily. It did the job? Standard RB in a 4-4-2, wouldn't work.

16 hours ago, Olé said:

Blimey, what have you done with the real @Up The City! :ermm:

When I think back to the season before last when we used to argue, it was always because you found more reason to be positive than I could!

I can't believe I will now have to swap sides, unless your account has been hacked? In any case, I think that post is incredibly harsh on Wright.

I do suspect he's one of those players who is not going to take us to the next level, but in the medium term he's an honest pro who does a job. 

I've never really understood the sudden writing off of him - he was simply beaten too easily at Leeds and had a total shocker versus Brentford.

But he was also a consistent part of our team in the more successful run and on balance has done far more good for us last season than bad.

If I compare it to the way Baker mailed in some of his defensive challenges towards the end of the season, Wright is the last of our problems!! 

I said a good while ago that his form had dropped off.  LJ suggested he was carrying a knock.  2+2=4 in this case.  But then his form continued to be below the level he’d set and there was no comments from LJ about injuries, so some supporters got on his back.  A lot of us could see no reason why his form had dropped off.  Some of us hoped it was due to injury, but had nothing to go on.  Lo and behold, he’s been soldiering on for ages.  I don’t blame LJ for not telling us, might have allowed opponents to play on the fact.  Hope he comes back fighting fit and back to 7/10 consistently every week. 

Archived