IGNORED

City players that have gone on to play for England

Jcolebristol

4 hours ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

Apart from Wedlock and Atyeo I’m not sure any City player has played for the England first team whilst still at City.  

There have been four. Atyeo and Wedlock as you say.

Plus Joe Cottle and William Jones.

http://www.englandfootballonline.com/TeamPlyrsBios/PlayersC/BioCottleJR.html

http://www.englandfootballonline.com/TeamPlyrsBios/PlayersIJ/BioJonesW.html

16 hours ago, The Batman said:

That is very true.

I was born in the mid 80's so i missed the 1982 situation. But the family* stuck by them.

* disclaimer, most of the family support the Rovers, my Grandad used to take me to both City and Rovers then made me choose one. I chose City to annoy my Uncle and cousins, glad i did (Rovers were better than us at the time as well)

They have never been ‘better than us’, higher in the league than us occasionally but NEVER ‘better’.

12 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

....I thought the OP was asking for City players who ‘went on to play for England’ - not necessarily those who played for the national team whilst at our club....

That was then , as I mentioned the thread would have been almost unbelievably short if we hadn't opened it up a bit .

But you could try ignoring the bits that you don't like .

:yes:

Interesting bit of trivia I came across last week when this thread was going but forgot to post.

A player who spent 3 years in City's academy under Gary Johnson, is England captain, England's all-time record cap holder (FA recognised) and the first England player to win over 100 caps. He's also a City fan. Who is he and what is the level?

34 minutes ago, Olé said:

Interesting bit of trivia I came across last week when this thread was going but forgot to post.

A player who spent 3 years in City's academy under Gary Johnson, is England captain, England's all-time record cap holder (FA recognised) and the first England player to win over 100 caps. He's also a City fan. Who is he and what is the level?

Luke Ballinger? Of the England Futsal team...

On ‎15‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 22:26, bcfcredandwhite said:

Luke Wilkshire played for Australia some years back - I would imagine he faced one or two of our players in internationals. 

Apart from Wedlock and Atyeo I’m not sure any City player has played for the England first team whilst still at City. James joined us after the World Cup ended and the Italian manager wouldn’t pick him because he only selected from the Prem - like most managers. 

Having said that; there was ONE player I know from the championship who played in a World Cup for England whilst a championship player - and scored. Sadly not one of ours though. 

Steve Bull? I remember him playing for England and scoring but don`t think it was at a World Cup.

On ‎15‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 15:09, North London Red said:

In 2005 I was at England v Northern Ireland when Tommy Doherty played for NI (England won 4-0 at Old Trafford), and at Cardiff later in the year when England won 1-0 against Wales (who had Dave Partridge playing in defence), and I wondered if Doherty and Partridge had faced each other in either of the two NI v Wales games in the same qualifying group - but alas, they didn’t. Will continue thinking...

I remember the 4-0 England v Norn Iron game.  Tommy D had been detailed with trying to mark Frank Lampard at the peak of his powers.  Tommy was completely lost.  Barely touched the ball.  

On 15/05/2018 at 10:25, richwwtk said:

We have never had a player in an England World Cup squad, and not had a Full England International of any description since John Atyeo to the best of my knowledge.

England only qualified for the 1958 World Cup because big John headed a last minute goal in Dublin. Despite that he was never picked for England again.

12 minutes ago, The Bard said:

I remember the 4-0 England v Norn Iron game.  Tommy D had been detailed with trying to mark Frank Lampard at the peak of his powers.  Tommy was completely lost.  Barely touched the ball.  

I still have the photo the EP printed showing Tommy tackling Wayne Rooney and winning the ball.

16 minutes ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

Actually I wasn’t thinking of Bull - it was Paul Mersin. He got relegated with Middlesbrough but was still selected and scored a penalty. 

I knew Bull played for England and scored but was pretty sure it wasn`t at a tournament. Didn`t know that about Merson though, respect mate!

On 15/05/2018 at 22:26, bcfcredandwhite said:

Having said that; there was ONE player I know from the championship who played in a World Cup for England whilst a championship player - and scored. Sadly not one of ours though. 

....if you’re thinking of Steve Bull he was actually playing in the third tier of English football when he went to Italia ‘90....but he didn’t score in the tournament....if not him, who are you thinking of?

Edit....having scrolled down I see you were thinking of Paul Merson....

13 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

He did....but that isn’t a City player who has “gone on to play for England” ......

If you're being pedantic about it but there's been a lot of discussion slightly off-topic here, eg Kodjia was mentioned earlier and I think Frankie is closer to the topic than him

4 hours ago, ashton_fan said:

If you're being pedantic about it but there's been a lot of discussion slightly off-topic here, eg Kodjia was mentioned earlier and I think Frankie is closer to the topic than him

Nothing to do with me being pedantic, the OP asked for City players who have gone on to play for England either whilst with us or after leaving....it wasn’t that difficult a question...

Archived