IGNORED

alardyce leaves everton

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

This is absolutely the type of manager a ' Premier League ' club in waiting would move mountains to hire ...

So no chance he'll be coming here . 

As part of the recruitment process when we appointed McWinless one (then) high profile manager who'd lucked out of late attended for interview and other than the usual pleasantries was asked straight out: "What salary are you looking for?" He told his interviewers who laughed responding:"We are thinking more...."

"You must be joking, I'm on more than that now..."

"McInnes will do it for that...." at which point he picked up his coat and walked out uttering,"Thanks for wasting my time."

The interview lasted 3 minutes and the rest is history.

1 hour ago, RedDave said:

People criticising this decision are banging on about 8th place finish. It is irrelevant in this case as the fans demand good football, and fair play to them for that.  I would rather see a great footballing side draw 3-3 than a Pulis type team win 1-0 

This sounds good but the managers brought into some Premier League teams last season to produce “great” football ended up getting the sack because the teams were fighting relegation by the autumn. I’m sure the same will happen next season in all leagues. Supporters will say we want attacking football, but as soon as relegation threatens it will be a call to sack the manager. To produce a team that plays great attacking football and wins matches usually takes time and money. Managers rarely get time, and often get insufficient money 

10 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Unanswerable question...............:dunno:

I'm sure most of us go to AG to be entertained and to me that means seeing City play attractive football. To me there's nothing more boring than seeing football played with the hand brake on.

On TalkSport Evertonians were saying how dull Big Sams football was and most were glad that's he's gone. Cascarino was saying that under Pulis Boro offered nothing going forward even tho they were 1-0 down in the Championship semi last night.

It’s a perfectly answerable question. There are 2 options presented to you :

1) Finish 8th whilst playing dull 1-0 football. 

2) Finish bottom playing attractive but leaky football. 

Come on Robbo, let’s be having you. 

1 hour ago, Harry said:

Genuine question. 

Would you be happier finishing 8th and playing unattractive football, or would you be happier if you got relegated but drew all your games 3-3? 

These aren't mutually exclusive.  I am sure you know what I meant.  

I would rather finish 14th playing great football than 8th playing dour football.  Obviously there are times when teams might need to grind out results, I am not naive to that fact.  

On the whole though I want to be entertained.  If we finished 8th playing awful stuff I would want that manager to be sacked.  

6 minutes ago, RedDave said:

I would rather finish 14th playing great football than 8th playing dour football

Bet your Chairman wouldn't given in the Premier that's around £10m in prize money.

37 minutes ago, RedDave said:

I would rather finish 14th playing great football than 8th playing dour football.  Obviously there are times when teams might need to grind out results, I am not naive to that fact.  

On the whole though I want to be entertained.  If we finished 8th playing awful stuff I would want that manager to be sacked.  

Yep, totally agree that the two aren’t mutually exclusive but of course everyone would take an attractive 14th vs a dour 8th, but that’s not the hypothetical question I’ve asked. 

Honestly, I’d be very interested to hear of any fan who’d take an attractive relegation over a dour 8th. I doubt there’ll be any. 

Does that excuse Allardyce & Moyes, I don’t know. But one thing is for sure, the most attractive football we’ve seen at AG in 25 years was under Wilson, and it was not successful. Would we settle for a dour 1-0 every week if it meant we had success? I’m sure there wouldn’t be many unhappy with that. 

Everton fans have shown themselves to be ungrateful snobs in my opinion. They’ve not played what you’d class as attractive football for decades. The Moyes era was functional. Martinez tried a bit more expansive but they didn’t like the results. Under Moyes they played unattractive stuff for 10 years and rarely got above 8th. This is simply a case of the face doesn’t fit. Snobbery. 

Sacking Sam Allardyce is a joke.

He signs an 18 month contract with the immediate goal this season of keeping Everton in the Premier League.  This he does, very successfully with an 8th place finish.  He plays the football necessary with the players left to him to stay in the league.  Job done.  Everton fans don't moan about the style of football because his paymaster, the Everton Chairnman said keep us in this league this season, at whatever cost.

Move to the next 12 months which unfortunately he now cannot do.

Who's to say that Allardyce wouldn't have got in his players, had a clear out of the existing players and then played a more stylish type of football, whilst always trying to retain a clean sheet (as all managers do). With 12 months in front of him he surely would have gone for it with nothing for him to personally lose.

Football is becoming a joke.

Fans criticism of managers is becoming a joke. Do fans accept that same level of intensity, criticism and abuse in their own employment?  I don't think so. Are they required at work to be brilliant from day one as expected of managers?  I don't think so.

Are managers and footballers paid to much?  Most definitely they are!

And do footballers hold too much power over the club and manager?  Again, most certainly they do.

Chairman need to stand up to players.  Chairman need to support managers.  Fans need to be less critical.

Allardyce with a 1,000 games behind him and never having been relegated is undoubtedly one of the best managers the Premier League has ever known

Just the same as Neil Warnock and the Championship.

2 minutes ago, Harry said:

Yep, totally agree that the two aren’t mutually exclusive but of course everyone would take an attractive 14th vs a dour 8th, but that’s not the hypothetical question I’ve asked. 

Honestly, I’d be very interested to hear of any fan who’d take an attractive relegation over a dour 8th. I doubt there’ll be any. 

Does that excuse Allardyce & Moyes, I don’t know. But one thing is for sure, the most attractive football we’ve seen at AG in 25 years was under Wilson, and it was not successful. Would we settle for a dour 1-0 every week if it meant we had success? I’m sure there wouldn’t be many unhappy with that.  

Everton fans have shown themselves to be ungrateful snobs in my opinion. They’ve not played what you’d class as attractive football for decades. The Moyes era was functional. Martinez tried a bit more expansive but they didn’t like the results. Under Moyes they played unattractive stuff for 10 years and rarely got above 8th. This is simply a case of the face doesn’t fit. Snobbery. 

Danny Wilson certainly did play the most exciting and attractive football at Ashton Gate.  You always knew with him that if City went 1 or 2-0 down that in the second half they could score 3 or 4.  Watching Murray, Peacock and Christian Roberts racing towards the oppositions goal was so exciting and yes, full of goals.

Martinez did no worse than Koeman or Allardyce in some ways- finished 5th first season, some fine football.

Hit and miss in League next year but a good European run.

Lastly, midtable in the League but 2 Cup semi finals- both lost to the winners.

Not that bad a reign tbh...quite a few clubs would be happy with that.

Still a harsh sacking though, probably deserved a pre-season to a) Get in the players he needed and b) Improve and work with the existing players- could have played better football, but might have come with time.

56 minutes ago, RedDave said:

It's an interesting debate really- reflection of how the game has changed IMO.

Saw an old Big Match Revisited other week- 1979. Brentford v Watford, 3-3 draw. Brian Moore's comments at the end 'A lot of happiness in Griffin Park today' and also reference to 'great value for money this afternoon'.

We had a 3-3 and a 5-5 and- albeit for the way it panned out- fury. A reflection of how the game has changed IMO. How attitudes have changed too. From 16 seconds in and lasting about a minute.

Allardyce knew the score when he took the job. They only wanted to give him 6 months but he got an 18 month deal out of them, knowing full well that he'd likely be out of the door at the end of the season unless he did something really remarkable and that they'd have to pay him off.

Apparently Everton also agreed to pay back Crystal Palace the multi million pound bonus that he was given for keeping them up last season, as he'd agreed not to take another PL job for 12 months when he resigned from that one.

Fair play to him, he's absolutely had their pants down.

8 hours ago, Harry said:

It’s a perfectly answerable question. There are 2 options presented to you :

1) Finish 8th whilst playing dull 1-0 football. 

2) Finish bottom playing attractive but leaky football. 

Come on Robbo, let’s be having you. 

Offering mine, the second. Realistically those outside the top 6 have little to play for bar the excitement of a Europa League place and a domestic trophy run - Leicester is still the exception. Option 1, in the manner in which they achieved it, does sound like purgatory. 

7 hours ago, cityfan said:

Allardyce with a 1,000 games behind him and never having been relegated is undoubtedly one of the best managers the Premier League has ever known

Yep, and despite what some of the haters on here might think, he won't be short of job offers.

9 hours ago, Harry said:

484670836_ScreenShot2018-05-17at00_40_25.thumb.png.0617320c72d419976262113261397d95.png

You can't argue that despite playing unattractive stuff that Moyes did a bit better than rarely finishing above 8th. 7/10 times he achieved 8th or higher, regular European football in there too. 

Spoilt fans indeed, but I imagine the board want Moyes back and probably knew about him leaving West Ham already. 

Archived