IGNORED

I Have Had Enough And I’m Off

Bob Binalong

9 minutes ago, Newquay-Red said:

Teenage rants? Debatable. Many of the more stupid comments I read on here typically begin with 'I've been going AG for >20 years', followed by a long ramble of what would happen in the 'good old days', and then some obscure reference to some TV show that presumably was barely funny 35 years ago and definitely isn't funny now. Many of the posters here that are around my age range (I'm 21) actually post good and thought-provoking stuff; or at least as thought-provoking as you can get when writing about football. I also feel that many of the lifers on the forum shut these people down quite unfairly.

Completely agree.

To be serious for a moment, the fact that someone doesn't post much does not make their view any less valid. I'm sure OTIB has plenty of people who only have time to read (I know a few) or don't feel they have anything new to contribute, and they're no less entitled to react to the overall tone - I guess it's possible if you came here regularly to get an upbeat view of the club and keep your BCFC pilot light burning, you might be a bit disappointed.

However pulling together a list of every negative ever uttered, out of context, probably doesn't help the situation. Isn't the reality that OTIB goes in waves that trace back to the progress of the club, not any persistent malevolance of the majority on here. I'm sure OTIB made great reading at Christmas. It will again. But we've just had pretty rotten football for 3-4 months, our best players haven't signed new deals, and club PR has been clumsy at best.

I imagine if, say, Bobby Reid signed a new contract next week, the tone in most threads would be immediately uplifted. But we are living in a time where a popular club employee has disappeared, we've ended the season by any measure on a massive downer (we couldn't even fight our way out of a paper bag on the final day with our chance to send everyone off in a better mood), and the manager - to some ears - has ducked any real explanation.

I'm afraid OTIB will just reflect the output from the club. If you come back again (it's hard to tell when you don't post much!) my own personal tip is that you can pick and choose the threads to read. No reflection of the various original posters, but due to time I choose the ones that look new or interesting. That way I'm not (your view:) hearing the same things over and over. There really is no obligation or prize for reading every single thread*. :)

*Unless you have the urge to post "Zz zz zz" in them all.

2 hours ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Someone had to say it

im not arsed to post normally - sometimes I read the threads on here and wonder why people even bother to support the team. They hate Bristol sport. They hate the owner and his team. They hate the manager. Even the players get shat on for a bad game.

You have to ask yourself - if you have so much hatred for the club you claim to support why bother ? 

Pinheads

Because he's only the owner for a period of time. The supporters are here mostly for their entire lifetime. 

3 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

I'm going to be keeping posting for the time being but, if I ever choose to stop posting, I will be sure to make a thread announcing it. Unless I've already stopped posting by that point.

On that note, this thread has made me aware that I am not sure about anyone else's intentions around posting. If anyone else has decided to continue posting, I'd be really grateful if you'd announce that below, just so we're all aware of what everyone is doing.

Yes, I plan to continue making very occasional and badly thought through posts, nearly always off-topic or ill-informed, or both. So no change there then. I fear change. 

13 minutes ago, Olé said:

If you come back again (it's hard to tell when you don't post much!) my own personal tip is that you can pick and choose the threads to read

As the op says, many threads are taken over by the Johnson Out brigade. Right now it is quite hard to find a thread that interests me and doesn't end up turned.

2 hours ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Someone had to say it

im not arsed to post normally - sometimes I read the threads on here and wonder why people even bother to support the team. They hate Bristol sport. They hate the owner and his team. They hate the manager. Even the players get shat on for a bad game.

You have to ask yourself - if you have so much hatred for the club you claim to support why bother ? 

Pinheads

“Hate” and “Hatred” are very strong words....

Anyway, I think the fans have every right to question players’ contributions after a bad performance, just as they give out praise for good performances. These are athletes who are paid between £10k and £25k a week apparently. Criticism, constructive or otherwise, happens to every team in every sport....if our club was based in Italy and won 4 of the last 22 league games then the players would have barricaded themselves in at the training ground to avoid the riotous hordes of furious fans who would have turned up there...they have it easy in this country and especially in Bristol....

And don’t confuse players, the management team and current owner with ‘the club’ - all these people will come and go...the club is so much more than that. Speaking for myself I support Bristol City, the badge, the history, and my own period of being there and witnessing over 40 years of highs, lows and mediocrity....I support my fellow fans, the red kit and our traditional home....

I support the huge array of memories including Clive Whitehead’s goal taking us into the top flight for the first time in 65 years, dear old Beryl organising us all and keeping an eye on us young uns at away games, Terry Cooper crying at Wembley, the 0-0 game vs Fulham in 1982 when we didn’t think we’d have a club, Gerry Gow flying into tackles and giving every ounce in every game for Bristol City, Cheese’s header at Arsenal, Joe Royle’s four goal debut, Bobby Hutch lifting a trophy at the Home of Football, Glyn Riley’s sweatbands and non-stop effort, Alan Walsh’s left foot, Tinman’s left foot, Super Scott running the length of Ninian Park with his hand behind his ear, five visits to Ninian Park to see five victories, the comeback at Fellows Park, the subsequent capitulation at Fellow’s Park, the 0-1 at Bradford as we marched to the semis, Paul Mardon’s rocket at the City Ground, Super Bob and his amazing goals, 1-2 at Eastville, Jacki’s wizardry, watching Andy Cole develop, Rob Newman’s grin after sparking one in from about 200 yards out vs Newport....etc etc etc...

The players, management and owners are temporary parts of the club’s history....supporting the club is being in it for the long haul and remembering and relishing everything...and every now and again, people who’ve invested a lifetime into this may wish to have a moan....and good on them....

While I respect our rare posters' opinions, it seems a bit of a piss take to moan that the forum is refusing to agree with you while contributing very little to it.

It's a bit like sitting and complaining about what's on the TV but not being arsed to stand up and change the channel. It's a forum, not a state broadcast from Bristol Sport hq, and as @Olé  said above it will go up and down with the prevailing mood. If you want to do something about it then engage with and persuade people. There is no value sitting in the shadows bemoaning to yourself what people you don't know are typing on otib. Other websites are also available.

4 hours ago, john from high littleton said:

I'm afraid I agree, with most of what's been said. This forum is not fit for purpose anymore. And I for one am fed up with the teenage rants that are frequently posted. What happened to intelligent debate? I rarely post these days, and only occasionally bother to log in at all! It's a shame, but I definitely think it's got worse over the last few years.  And I for one don't need the negativity in my life! 

The forum sadly is nothing like it used to be.

23 minutes ago, Stortz said:

While I respect our rare posters' opinions, it seems a bit of a piss take to moan that the forum is refusing to agree with you while contributing very little to it.

It's a bit like sitting and complaining about what's on the TV but not being arsed to stand up and change the channel. It's a forum, not a state broadcast from Bristol Sport hq, and as @Olé  said above it will go up and down with the prevailing mood. If you want to do something about it then engage with and persuade people. There is no value sitting in the shadows bemoaning to yourself what people you don't know are typing on otib. Other websites are also available.

Except that isnt what the OP complained about at all.

Sometimes I do wonder whether people on OTIB struggle with reading, or have a 'word twisting' fetish.

So what shall we do? Start suppressing people’s posts on here? Only allow positive posts?  We can’t win, can we* ?

* I mean the forum, not the football team 

18 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Except that isnt what the OP complained about at all.

Sometimes I do wonder whether people on OTIB struggle with reading, or have a 'word twisting' fetish.

I didn't say it was?

So it looks like you are the one struggling to read or twisting words.

11 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

So what shall we do? Start suppressing people’s posts on here? Only allow positive posts?  We can’t win, can we* ?

I think either argument works, taking into account our 2018 form.

3 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

I literally highlighted what you said.

:facepalm:

What? I know what I said thank you.

I was commenting generally on people who don't post here often then complain about the tone of the forum. It wasn't directed at the OP, or I would have quoted him. Is that clear enough for you?

8 minutes ago, Stortz said:

What? I know what I said thank you.

I was commenting generally on people who don't post here often then complain about the tone of the forum. It wasn't directed at the OP, or I would have quoted him. Is that clear enough for you?

There are people who dont always quote the OP when responding to it, as it is the OP.

Given your post came across as a response to the OP, and I don't know your posting style intricately, I hardly made any great leap to get where I did.

The post of yours I highlighted only carries any relevance if it comes with the suggestion that the OP was doing as your "general comment" suggested, otherwise you may as well have picked a topic at random and chucked it in there.

43 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

I don’t think anyone is blaming the Mods. Football fans are just miserable buggers, as a class.

5 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

There are people who dont always quote the OP when responding to it, as it is the OP.

Given your post came across as a response to the OP, and I don't know your posting style intricately, I hardly made any great leap to get where I did.

The post of yours I highlighted only carries any relevance if it comes with the suggestion that the OP was doing as your "general comment" suggested, otherwise you may as well have picked a topic at random and chucked it in there.

So you assumed rather than reading, ironically what you accused me of doing.

There are several posters in similar position on this thread James. I am not attacking any of them, or replying to any of them, just commenting generally about infrequent posters on an apposite topic.

You claimed I was either unable to understand, or deliberately misconstruing the op. I pointed out that I wasn't, and explained why. The end.

You have a lovely night now.

• Admin

It’s hardly surprising the mood has been a bit low on here for the last 3 months or so, you really would have to be completely uncompetitive to be satisfied with the slump that happened.  Hardly a shock that many posts have reflected and contained discussion on the reasons why.  It wasn’t such a miserable place when we won the double........

It’s going to be the nature of a public forum, that some posters have to respond to nearly every topic, regardless of if they actually add anything worthwhile, while some post so rarely, it must be on a subject that has driven them to come out of their shell.  There is obviously a wide variation of ages, education, literacy and opinion, by not contributing to at least the reasonable threads, to put your point across and debate why, then announcing you are off, when hardly anyone can recall a post you have made, is a strange way to do things IMO.

15 minutes ago, Leveller said:

I don’t think anyone is blaming the Mods. Football fans are just miserable buggers, as a class.

I know and the last bit was meant as a little bit of light humour - however I am tired of people saying this forum is rubbish or it should be shut down. If we did the later do people really think that all the users would cease to use the internet to share there thoughts? Of course not and I’m sure another forum would arise overnight!   Sometime this place can all put us on a high (December time for example) and lows (most of 2018) but we all still read it.  I had enough of Twitter a while ago and just decided to take a step back. I still read it but not post.  Perhaps if people find it depressing on here simply have a break and come back in August ready for the new season.. 

1 minute ago, Tomarse said:

I know and the last bit was meant as a little bit of light humour - however I am tired of people saying this forum is rubbish or it should be shut down. If we did the later do people really think that all the users would cease to use the internet to share there thoughts? Of course not and I’m sure another forum would arise overnight!   Sometime this place can all put us on a high (December time for example) and lows (most of 2018) but we all still read it.  I had enough of Twitter a while ago and just decided to take a step back. I still read it but not post.  Perhaps if people find it depressing on here simply have a break and come back in August ready for the new season.. 

Agreed. I’m certainly avoiding it a lot more when things are on a bit of a down, though haven’t deserted entirely. 

Tbh I come here for news and rumours more than opinions - the latter are very repetitive and less interesting.

4 hours ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Someone had to say it

Pinheads

Exactly. Come out. Come out, wherever you are!

6 hours ago, Bob Binalong said:

I have been an avid reader of OTIB and a very occasional contributor for several years but I must say now, I have had enough and I’m off.  The forum has been completely taken over by people who profess to hate Lee Johnson and everything about the club. Not a topic is posted on here that does not attract somebody who blames LJ, Bristol Sport or Steve Lansdown for it.

The final straw for me was when LJ was criticised for what he SAID in the Geoff Twentyman interview BEFORE it had taken place.  Every topic seems to degenerate into a diatribe on at least one of the following, He:

·       was a useless footballer who only got into any side because his father was the manager

·       is a bad coach

·       is too short

·       won’t publicly confess to every mistake he makes

·       didn’t get every team selection right

·       didn’t get any substitutions right

·       signed over 30 players for millions of pounds, none of whom are any good

·       only has a half decent team because Cotterill left him the spine

·       giggles

·       oversaw a fall off in form

·       uses long words and jargon

·       didn’t get us promoted

·       stopped us enjoying a season long fight against relegation

·       introduced Southville parking restrictions (good job we didn’t get promoted then)

·       prevented us getting a train station at Ashton Halt

·       ruined the Metrobus and the Park and Ride

·       measures the grass

·       uses drones

·       fools bookies into making him a low priced option for managerial vacancies

·       was responsible for the relegation of Barnsley and Oldham

Add to that the constant harping on that Bristol Sport has drained the soul from our club by:

• Developing the ground beyond all recognition to one that is the envy of many in the Premier League
  • Upgrading training facilities
  • Taking away the fun of queuing next to the dustbins and outside the smelly toilets to buy and eat an indifferent pie
  • Removing the pleasure of standing for an hour in the rain before kick off so that you could get pushed around and get an imperfect view of a match
  • Providing a pitch that looks as good in May as it did in August
  • Removing the fun of attending matches with the prime reason of inflicting GBH on anyone who looked remotely like an opposition supporter (What fun we had in the  1970s and 80s)
  • Replacing coded tin sheets with WiFi and loud speaker announcements to get half time scores
  • Employing people who wear suits. How much better life was when clubs were run by inarticulate former players who learnt about management by heading a heavy leather ball for 15 years
  • Bringing highest crowds ever in the all-seating era
  • Changing things

Steve Lansdown is also completely flawed because he:

• doesn’t understand football
  • won’t spend money and always takes the cheap option
  • won’t break FFP rules
  • won’t spend money on linguists
  • makes us pay more for season tickets (easier to spend other people’s money)
  • sacks people we like
  • lives in Guernsey
  • only employs Yes Men
  • only employs his son
  • employs Mark Ashton
  • appointed LJ
  • won’t sack LJ

And just before I go why must you all ‘hate’ and ‘despise’ or ‘detest’ other clubs and managers.  I don’t hate the Gas but I get a real buzz when they lose and when they are relegated. Similarly I would have smiled if Fulham had beaten Cardiff/Colin to automatic promotion. It’s more schadenfreude.  Perhaps that is too long a word for most of you on here who seem to think that writing **** and **** isn’t swearing.

Bob Binalong has left the building

Never noticed you were here.

If you think it is bad now, wait until the start of next season if we have a bad start. It will be far worse than this!

The fact is that OTIB is split down the middle - between the old skool types who remember what supporting Bristol City was like and the new breed. Two completely different cultures. Some of us old gits don’t like change!

Cardiff fans went through the same when Tan took over. 

BUT the fact is that OTIB is a free forum to debate - regardless of whether you agree or disagree with the postings. It is good to read different opinions on here, the secret is not to take it too seriously though.

Archived