IGNORED

I Have Had Enough And I’m Off

Bob Binalong

13 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

I had enough of Twitter

I wasn't going to mention it but since you have.... If people find OTIB depressing I sincerely hope they're not on Twitter. :ranting:

6 hours ago, Robin Ashton said:

My God! Now that you list it all like that, it's really worse than I thought!

I think we need to set up a wellbeing page on OTIB as it is a fact that 1 in 4 adults suffer some form of mental health issues.

It's enough to make anyone depressed tbh when you spend time on here.

But I can't help myself!!!

7 minutes ago, Olé said:

I wasn't going to mention it but since you have.... If people find OTIB depressing I sincerely hope they're not on Twitter. :ranting:

It wasn’t just the football aspect. Everything on there tended to be depressing! Don’t miss it one bit. 

9 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

It wasn’t just the football aspect. Everything on there tended to be depressing! Don’t miss it one bit. 

My point exactly!! I look into OTIB at least once a day if I can. I look into Twitter no more than once or twice a week as it simultaneously depresses and angers me in equal proportions. Given that one is a universal form of communication and one is a forum for City fans, I'd say OTIB is doing alright.

29 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

I know and the last bit was meant as a little bit of light humour - however I am tired of people saying this forum is rubbish or it should be shut down. If we did the later do people really think that all the users would cease to use the internet to share there thoughts? Of course not and I’m sure another forum would arise overnight!   Sometime this place can all put us on a high (December time for example) and lows (most of 2018) but we all still read it.  I had enough of Twitter a while ago and just decided to take a step back. I still read it but not post.  Perhaps if people find it depressing on here simply have a break and come back in August ready for the new season.. 

FWIW I don't think anyone thinks the forum itself is rubbish.  When I occasionally look at some of the links to other forums that posters put up it really shows what a great job you do with this site.

I think the problem here is that the minute LJ was appointed this was always the way it would be.  There are so many vociferous fans that can't get over their hatred for him from his playing days.  Personally I think the forum went a bit quiet in October/November when we were doing so well and only picked up with the excitement of the cup run.  (It would be interesting if you had any viewing/posting data analysis that we could match against the timeline of our season!)

Then came the bad run and all the usual posters came out with all the vitriol against LJ, Lansdown, Ashton and Bristol Sport.  I agree with the OP that these views seem to dominate every thread and it can get tiresome to read but as with the nature of the beast, a few good summer signings and it will all turn positive until our first loss of the season :)

Keyboard Warriors and all that...

1 hour ago, Tomarse said:

So what shall we do? Start suppressing people’s posts on here? Only allow positive posts?  We can’t win, can we* ?

* I mean the forum, not the football team 

I think a purely positive/optimistic/happyclappygolucky/non-critical/always believing subforum would be worth a go. Somewhere all those types could go and share positive/optimistic thoughts and err on the side of glass-half-full without the negative nellies and doubting thomases bringing them down with their negativity/pessimism/critical thinking/bed wetting.

It would be amusing to read - but would it get much "traffic"?

5 minutes ago, Jim said:

FWIW I don't think anyone thinks the forum itself is rubbish.  When I occasionally look at some of the links to other forums that posters put up it really shows what a great job you do with this site.

I think the problem here is that the minute LJ was appointed this was always the way it would be.  There are so many vociferous fans that can't get over their hatred for him from his playing days.  Personally I think the forum went a bit quiet in October/November when we were doing so well and only picked up with the excitement of the cup run.  (It would be interesting if you had any viewing/posting data analysis that we could match against the timeline of our season!)

Then came the bad run and all the usual posters came out with all the vitriol against LJ, Lansdown, Ashton and Bristol Sport.  I agree with the OP that these views seem to dominate every thread and it can get tiresome to read but as with the nature of the beast, a few good summer signings and it will all turn positive until our first loss of the season :)

Easy to assume those who disliked him as a player will be the ones who dislike him as a manager. 

I very much dislike his management style, but I liked him as a player and have said before that I feel it was his injury in 2008 that was key in us missing automatic promotion. 

14 minutes ago, Jim said:

I missed your posts when we were ‘ doing so well ‘

Bet they were interesting too 

Shucks

26 minutes ago, Jim said:

That’s bullshit!  The idea that people want LJ to fail is rubbish.  I loved our first half of the season and gave LJ the thumbs up, second half was shit.

It’s almost as if the BS employees have started to activate their accounts again...

How many of these posts today have no posting history or only joined in our last bad run. :nono:

FFS this club can’t even organise a convincing cyber attack.

3 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

“Hate” and “Hatred” are very strong words....

Anyway, I think the fans have every right to question players’ contributions after a bad performance, just as they give out praise for good performances. These are athletes who are paid between £10k and £25k a week apparently. Criticism, constructive or otherwise, happens to every team in every sport....if our club was based in Italy and won 4 of the last 22 league games then the players would have barricaded themselves in at the training ground to avoid the riotous hordes of furious fans who would have turned up there...they have it easy in this country and especially in Bristol....

And don’t confuse players, the management team and current owner with ‘the club’ - all these people will come and go...the club is so much more than that. Speaking for myself I support Bristol City, the badge, the history, and my own period of being there and witnessing over 40 years of highs, lows and mediocrity....I support my fellow fans, the red kit and our traditional home....

I support the huge array of memories including Clive Whitehead’s goal taking us into the top flight for the first time in 65 years, dear old Beryl organising us all and keeping an eye on us young uns at away games, Terry Cooper crying at Wembley, the 0-0 game vs Fulham in 1982 when we didn’t think we’d have a club, Gerry Gow flying into tackles and giving every ounce in every game for Bristol City, Cheese’s header at Arsenal, Joe Royle’s four goal debut, Bobby Hutch lifting a trophy at the Home of Football, Glyn Riley’s sweatbands and non-stop effort, Alan Walsh’s left foot, Tinman’s left foot, Super Scott running the length of Ninian Park with his hand behind his ear, five visits to Ninian Park to see five victories, the comeback at Fellows Park, the subsequent capitulation at Fellow’s Park, the 0-1 at Bradford as we marched to the semis, Paul Mardon’s rocket at the City Ground, Super Bob and his amazing goals, 1-2 at Eastville, Jacki’s wizardry, watching Andy Cole develop, Rob Newman’s grin after sparking one in from about 200 yards out vs Newport....etc etc etc...

The players, management and owners are temporary parts of the club’s history....supporting the club is being in it for the long haul and remembering and relishing everything...and every now and again, people who’ve invested a lifetime into this may wish to have a moan....and good on them....

Now that’s a quote for the dressing room wall!!

Need a bloody big old wall mind

4 minutes ago, RumRed said:

That’s bullshit!  The idea that people want LJ to fail is rubbish.  I loved our first half of the season and gave LJ the thumbs up, second half was shit.

It’s almost as if the BS employees have started to activate their accounts again.

Would be interesting to know if the spread of IP addresses tells a story. Presumably not @Tomarse

6 hours ago, RedM said:

Got to agree with many here, if you don’t like what’s said then speak out. If you find topics boring, then create one, it couldn’t be easier. Argue, debate, put your point forward...but at least have an opinion. There is nothing worse in my opinion than sitting back and saying nothing and then finally logging on to moan or criticise  those that do

I have an opinion but my wife hasn't told me what it is yet:dunno:

Just now, BobBobSuperBob said:

Some truth in that , that’s for sure

:yes:

It’s so obvious I’m embarrassed for the poor buggers.  Bet they’re on minimum wage or acting as non paid interns.

BS really think we’re a bunch of thick yokels I’m afraid.

36 minutes ago, Jim said:

I doubt many hold LJ's playing days against him, a few, yes, but it was the appointment of someone with such limited managerial experience who had done absolutely nothing of note even at Div. 3 level that led to a mystified and dissatisfied reception on here. There was no reason to jump for joy or feel particularly optimistic with LJ's appointment. Did he merit the job on his managerial record? Of course not, patchy at best. Nevertheless once the deed was done almost all said then they'd get behind him despite their reservations and have gone on to give praise where due.

It must be said Cotterill had a far more hostile reception on OTIB than LJ with 8 or 9 prominent posters of the time coming out vociferously against him on day 1, and refusing to ever fully accept him even when his successes proved them wrong - they couldn't stand him as an individual and that was that. 

So these splits, negativity, and arguments over a manager is par for the course for OTIB and it certainly didn't start with LJ.

I don't see many posters voicing dislike for LJ or SL as individuals, more questioning their decisions and records, as should happen on a football forum. As for people not liking Ashton or Bristol Sport, fair point, but why should we like them?

13 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

Would be interesting to know if the spread of IP addresses tells a story. Presumably not @Tomarse

I’m not one for conspiracies but even I’ve found this week interesting in the amount of new posters. Nothing really to back it up IP wise really! 

2 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

I’m not one for conspiracies but even I’ve found this week interesting in the amount of new posters. Nothing really to back it up IP wise really! 

Are new posters not allowed an opinion? 

28 minutes ago, Leaning To One Side said:

Me too, what the hell is a "gammon"

cue the pig jokes :thumbsup:

A 'gammon' is a very recent insult, mostly used on Twitter. It describes white, sunburnt, cynical old men who love Brexit, hate immigrants and think that if you're under 30, you're all of the world's problems (and this is the part where I go on my tiptoes and tread carefully). It was born out of the frustration of us on the left always being called 'snowflakes', so of course we found our own childish insult to hurl back. I must admit I've found myself using it because whenever I think of the word I picture Alan Partridge saying it. The irony of it all is that those who went to the 'University of Life' and call people snowflakes have got their knickers in a twist over the whole thing- even going as far to call it racist! (excuse me while I die of irony in the corner). A DUP MP came out against it strongly, which is funny considering the attitude they have over tolerance in general. It's hard to take them seriously as standard bearers of egalitarianism when they will hate you if you're a homosexual, a Catholic, or just particularly fond of the colour green. Something tells me I'm going to get a nice few tasty PM's for this description, but I hope it provided some clarity.

26 minutes ago, Leaning To One Side said:

Me too, what the hell is a "gammon"

cue the pig jokes :thumbsup:

Here's the 'hilarious' definition:
(Noun/mass noun): A term used to describe a particular type of Brexit-voting, middle-aged white male, whose meat-faced complexion suggests they are perilously close to a stroke.

The term 'gammon' is linked to the unhealthy pink skin tone of such stout yeomen, probably because of high blood pressure caused by decades of 'PC gone mad', being defeated in arguments about the non-existent merits of Brexit and women getting the vote.

Gammon often make their appearance on BBC's Question Time jabbing their porcine fingers at the camera while demanding immediate nuclear strikes against Remain-voting areas, people who eat vegetables and/or cyclists.

When gammon appears en masse it is often referred to as a "wall of gammon".
Did you see Question Time last night? It was absolutely rammed with gammon.

Some random gammon started posting "Ingland 4 the Inglish! granit brexit now" all over my mum's Facebook.

Oi, gammon, pipe down or you'll do yourself a mischief.

Archived