IGNORED

I Have Had Enough And I’m Off

Bob Binalong

17 hours ago, Bob Binalong said:

I have been an avid reader of OTIB and a very occasional contributor for several years but I must say now, I have had enough and I’m off.  The forum has been completely taken over by people who profess to hate Lee Johnson and everything about the club. Not a topic is posted on here that does not attract somebody who blames LJ, Bristol Sport or Steve Lansdown for it.

The final straw for me was when LJ was criticised for what he SAID in the Geoff Twentyman interview BEFORE it had taken place.  Every topic seems to degenerate into a diatribe on at least one of the following, He:

·       was a useless footballer who only got into any side because his father was the manager

·       is a bad coach

·       is too short

·       won’t publicly confess to every mistake he makes

·       didn’t get every team selection right

·       didn’t get any substitutions right

·       signed over 30 players for millions of pounds, none of whom are any good

·       only has a half decent team because Cotterill left him the spine

·       giggles

·       oversaw a fall off in form

·       uses long words and jargon

·       didn’t get us promoted

·       stopped us enjoying a season long fight against relegation

·       introduced Southville parking restrictions (good job we didn’t get promoted then)

·       prevented us getting a train station at Ashton Halt

·       ruined the Metrobus and the Park and Ride

·       measures the grass

·       uses drones

·       fools bookies into making him a low priced option for managerial vacancies

·       was responsible for the relegation of Barnsley and Oldham

Add to that the constant harping on that Bristol Sport has drained the soul from our club by:

• Developing the ground beyond all recognition to one that is the envy of many in the Premier League
  • Upgrading training facilities
  • Taking away the fun of queuing next to the dustbins and outside the smelly toilets to buy and eat an indifferent pie
  • Removing the pleasure of standing for an hour in the rain before kick off so that you could get pushed around and get an imperfect view of a match
  • Providing a pitch that looks as good in May as it did in August
  • Removing the fun of attending matches with the prime reason of inflicting GBH on anyone who looked remotely like an opposition supporter (What fun we had in the  1970s and 80s)
  • Replacing coded tin sheets with WiFi and loud speaker announcements to get half time scores
  • Employing people who wear suits. How much better life was when clubs were run by inarticulate former players who learnt about management by heading a heavy leather ball for 15 years
  • Bringing highest crowds ever in the all-seating era
  • Changing things

Steve Lansdown is also completely flawed because he:

• doesn’t understand football
  • won’t spend money and always takes the cheap option
  • won’t break FFP rules
  • won’t spend money on linguists
  • makes us pay more for season tickets (easier to spend other people’s money)
  • sacks people we like
  • lives in Guernsey
  • only employs Yes Men
  • only employs his son
  • employs Mark Ashton
  • appointed LJ
  • won’t sack LJ

And just before I go why must you all ‘hate’ and ‘despise’ or ‘detest’ other clubs and managers.  I don’t hate the Gas but I get a real buzz when they lose and when they are relegated. Similarly I would have smiled if Fulham had beaten Cardiff/Colin to automatic promotion. It’s more schadenfreude.  Perhaps that is too long a word for most of you on here who seem to think that writing **** and **** isn’t swearing.

Bob Binalong has left the building

Can you repeat that please :banana:

18 hours ago, Bob Binalong said:

I have been an avid reader of OTIB and a very occasional contributor for several years but I must say now, I have had enough and I’m off.  The forum has been completely taken over by people who profess to hate Lee Johnson and everything about the club. Not a topic is posted on here that does not attract somebody who blames LJ, Bristol Sport or Steve Lansdown for it.

The final straw for me was when LJ was criticised for what he SAID in the Geoff Twentyman interview BEFORE it had taken place.  Every topic seems to degenerate into a diatribe on at least one of the following, He:

·       was a useless footballer who only got into any side because his father was the manager

·       is a bad coach

·       is too short

·       won’t publicly confess to every mistake he makes

·       didn’t get every team selection right

·       didn’t get any substitutions right

·       signed over 30 players for millions of pounds, none of whom are any good

·       only has a half decent team because Cotterill left him the spine

·       giggles

·       oversaw a fall off in form

·       uses long words and jargon

·       didn’t get us promoted

·       stopped us enjoying a season long fight against relegation

·       introduced Southville parking restrictions (good job we didn’t get promoted then)

·       prevented us getting a train station at Ashton Halt

·       ruined the Metrobus and the Park and Ride

·       measures the grass

·       uses drones

·       fools bookies into making him a low priced option for managerial vacancies

·       was responsible for the relegation of Barnsley and Oldham

Add to that the constant harping on that Bristol Sport has drained the soul from our club by:

• Developing the ground beyond all recognition to one that is the envy of many in the Premier League
  • Upgrading training facilities
  • Taking away the fun of queuing next to the dustbins and outside the smelly toilets to buy and eat an indifferent pie
  • Removing the pleasure of standing for an hour in the rain before kick off so that you could get pushed around and get an imperfect view of a match
  • Providing a pitch that looks as good in May as it did in August
  • Removing the fun of attending matches with the prime reason of inflicting GBH on anyone who looked remotely like an opposition supporter (What fun we had in the  1970s and 80s)
  • Replacing coded tin sheets with WiFi and loud speaker announcements to get half time scores
  • Employing people who wear suits. How much better life was when clubs were run by inarticulate former players who learnt about management by heading a heavy leather ball for 15 years
  • Bringing highest crowds ever in the all-seating era
  • Changing things

Steve Lansdown is also completely flawed because he:

• doesn’t understand football
  • won’t spend money and always takes the cheap option
  • won’t break FFP rules
  • won’t spend money on linguists
  • makes us pay more for season tickets (easier to spend other people’s money)
  • sacks people we like
  • lives in Guernsey
  • only employs Yes Men
  • only employs his son
  • employs Mark Ashton
  • appointed LJ
  • won’t sack LJ

And just before I go why must you all ‘hate’ and ‘despise’ or ‘detest’ other clubs and managers.  I don’t hate the Gas but I get a real buzz when they lose and when they are relegated. Similarly I would have smiled if Fulham had beaten Cardiff/Colin to automatic promotion. It’s more schadenfreude.  Perhaps that is too long a word for most of you on here who seem to think that writing **** and **** isn’t swearing.

Bob Binalong has left the building

A lot of good points but agree with others that you should enter into the debate.

There are a small minority on here who tend to be noisy and very negative who think we are owed promotion. 

Whether the LJ haters like it or not the club are progressing on and off the pitch. The commercial aspects of Bristol Sport will enable us to be more competitive in the transfer market and improve infrastructure. 

I think the OP makes some good points...and you can tell by the amount of likes by people that don't post so often, that it's a feeling felt by quite a lot of casual forum users.

I know when I've spoken to fans about the forum, there are a great many that read, but won't bother posting because they just don't want the grief.

The forum is as good as twitter for getting City news pretty fast, as there are a bunch of people that while away their hours on here wasting time.

I'm fortunate to have this forum open whilst working, so it's a nice distraction....however, if posts were slightly less negative I feel more people would participate.

Just my opinion...I think we are all guilty at times of being negative or too clappy.

I admit that I'm a bit tired of the constant Johnson-knocking - to a point where I tend to just ignore it these days. Johnson will be attacked whatever he does, whatever he says and wherever he goes whilst he remains associated with our club. The tirade lessens a bit when we are doing well, starts increasing after a defeat (or a draw when we were originally winning) and then increases to a crescendo when on a bad run so when I start reading 'Johnson out .... blah blah' type posts I just tend to move on in the main. I won't throw my toys out of the pram like Bob has, but it does depress me I have to admit.

People are entitled to their opinions of course - and to air them on here - and if I don't like them I have a choice: I can either ignore them and move on, or engage in a debate - but debating doesn't really go anywhere because some people have closed minds on Johnson - it's tattooed in their Psyche and no amount of success will change things. If we get promoted, then went second in the Prem for a while before dropping down to 11th people would want him gone because we flunked a Champions League place!!! 

A bit of perspective is needed IMHO. We are Bristol City and have spent most of our recent years in League 1, so this is GOOD!

Lets just face facts: Johnson isn't going anywhere - especially after delivering us our best league position for 8 years - so the 'Johnson Out' posts are as effective as shouting and ranting at the sun, in an attempt to stop it going down in the evening. 

I think that Johnson will stay with us until either (a) we look like we are going to be relegated - and I will join the calls for him to go if this happens, or (b) he does well and a 'bigger' club poaches him - and we know what COULD happen if THAT happens don't we? (Barnsley, Oldham).

We might as well get behind him and support the club.

I hope we do well WHOEVER is in charge. It's in all our interests that Lee does well whilst he is here and that's what I want as a supporter.

21 hours ago, Chris_Brown said:

The response was to be predicted, but the OP makes some good points. A lot of threads on OTIB head down the same road, regardless of topic.

Maybe during the thread discussions and dialogue the same conclusion is reached? There are a few issues clearly and several could well be answered withe same conclusion. 

If you cannot accept an alternative view to yours then perhaps you are in the wrong place. It’s called debating. If everyone was the same then life would be boring. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and not one of a single Ayottolah.

If people feel the forum is too negative, come on here and make it more positive. 

If you don't like it when people disagree with you then maybe a forum isn't really for you, in the same way a debating society probably isn't either. No problem with that. 

Point is, if you want something to change, change it. 

I'm generalising here, but throughout my adult life I've noticed there are (very broadly) 2 types of people when it comes to debate. Those who are happy to debate and agree to disagree and those who take debating very personally. Me and the missus love a decent debate whereas the mother-in-law thinks its a personal attack every time.

In my experience, friends/family/acquaintances who've been to uni are far more likely to enjoy a good debate without getting upset. Probably because they've spent their formative years stuck in a shared room with lots of opinions. Just my experience. 

That is a fair point. However the feeling here recently is so negative to all parts of the club we all profess to love I just don’t get it. How can you be so negative about something you supposedly love ?

im not arsed to go tit for tat with Mr Negative because I have other shit to do such as life. Trouble is Mr Negative has replicated recently and become the “norm”. Anyone would think we had been relegated this season if you read the forum

Just my 2 Penneths before I get massively dumped on

Myself - I cannot wait already for the first game in August. Cannot wait to hear the bloke in front of me going apeshit at the ref, and the general banter in the crowd

COYR and sod the haters I say 

47 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

If people feel the forum is too negative, come on here and make it more positive. 

If you don't like it when people disagree with you then maybe a forum isn't really for you, in the same way a debating society probably isn't either. No problem with that. 

Point is, if you want something to change, change it. 

I'm generalising here, but throughout my adult life I've noticed there are (very broadly) 2 types of people when it comes to debate. Those who are happy to debate and agree to disagree and those who take debating very personally. Me and the missus love a decent debate whereas the mother-in-law thinks its a personal attack every time.

In my experience, friends/family/acquaintances who've been to uni are far more likely to enjoy a good debate without getting upset. Probably because they've spent their formative years stuck in a shared room with lots of opinions. Just my experience. 

My experience is different.

Students very much go with the herd these days, get upset extremely quickly if you disagree with them, and are very reticent to have individual opinions of their own for fear of being disapproved of by their peers. There is very little debate amongst them, in fact universities even have safe spaces meaning any opinions which may be contrary to the accepted trendy norm are not allowed to be heard.

I have heard of individual students being completely isolated on campus and verbally and physically abused because they do not to share the majority student view on Brexit for instance.

It's actually fairly frightening how little individuality there is within the student population and I'd say for many of them university is a totally negative experience both academically and, crucially, in terms of growing up.

16 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

My experience is different.

Students very much go with the herd these days, get upset extremely quickly if you disagree with them, and are very reticent to have individual opinions of their own for fear of being disapproved of by their peers. There is very little debate amongst them, in fact universities even have safe spaces meaning any opinions which may be contrary to the accepted trendy norm are not allowed to be heard.

I have heard of individual students being completely isolated on campus and verbally and physically abused because they do not to share the majority student view on Brexit for instance.

It's actually fairly frightening how little individuality there is within the student population and I'd say for many of them university is a totally negative experience both academically and, crucially, in terms of growing up.

Maybe times have moved on. 

When I graduated students were full of optimism, (relatively) free of debt and open minded, for the most part. 

Wouldn't surprise me if much of that has been beaten out of them as their prospects have diminished significantly. 

On 16/05/2018 at 19:35, Tomarse said:

I know and the last bit was meant as a little bit of light humour - however I am tired of people saying this forum is rubbish or it should be shut down. If we did the later do people really think that all the users would cease to use the internet to share there thoughts? Of course not and I’m sure another forum would arise overnight!   Sometime this place can all put us on a high (December time for example) and lows (most of 2018) but we all still read it.  I had enough of Twitter a while ago and just decided to take a step back. I still read it but not post.  Perhaps if people find it depressing on here simply have a break and come back in August ready for the new season.. 

I done the same with Facebook a while ago but deactivated my account completely just couldn't take anymore. Sadly Twitter is going the exact same way. 

• Admin
7 hours ago, CotswoldRed said:

Maybe times have moved on. 

When I graduated students were full of optimism, (relatively) free of debt and open minded, for the most part. 

Wouldn't surprise me if much of that has been beaten out of them as their prospects have diminished significantly. 

When I left school, not many went to university, I do wonder if too many go there now, as it doesn't seem to hold the prestige it used to.  I always thought one of the big points of university was learning to debate, well if the stories I read in the press have any truth, much of that is suppressed as speakers that are deemed to be against the views of students are turned way from speaking at universities now - how are you ever going to learn to debate, construct a reasoned opposing argument or change someones views if you won't even engage with them.

As you probably guessed I couldn’t resist a little look to see how my post was viewed.  Many people seemed to miss that in my first sentence I said that I am an avid reader of OTIB and a very occasional contributor.  I am more than happy to read and less inclined to join in.

Sadly, despite the use of the term in the House of Commons, a ‘debate’ is not a didactic repetition of mendacious diatribe aimed at corrupting every fact to suit a putrescent view of the world order. That’s one reason I didn’t join in and the reason I am leaving.  Somebody on here used to have the strap line “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience”.  Sound advice, perhaps I should have taken it.

I am surprised to have elicited 170 replies and over 5000 views.

I am really going now.  I didn’t ‘flounce out’ or ‘throw my toys out of the pram’ I just left.  So, more in sorrow than in anger, I will limit my viewing to the transfer window when I can have a laugh at the suggested signings and get erroneously excited when we pick up French €9m international striker.

I am BTW, over 65, a season ticket holder who started watching in 1964, a graduate and a former suit…..and proud of it

To those of you who have been, thanks for thinking.

1 hour ago, Bob Binalong said:

As you probably guessed I couldn’t resist a little look to see how my post was viewed.  Many people seemed to miss that in my first sentence I said that I am an avid reader of OTIB and a very occasional contributor.  I am more than happy to read and less inclined to join in.

Sadly, despite the use of the term in the House of Commons, a ‘debate’ is not a didactic repetition of mendacious diatribe aimed at corrupting every fact to suit a putrescent view of the world order. That’s one reason I didn’t join in and the reason I am leaving.  Somebody on here used to have the strap line “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience”.  Sound advice, perhaps I should have taken it.

I am really going now.  I didn’t ‘flounce out’ or ‘throw my toys out of the pram’ I just left.  So, more in sorrow than in anger, I will limit my viewing to the transfer window when I can have a laugh at the suggested signings and get erroneously excited when we pick up French €9m international striker.

I am BTW, over 65, a season ticket holder who started watching in 1964, a graduate and a former suit…..and proud of it

I knew you couldn't resist a sneaky peak .

18 hours ago, TonyTonyTony said:

That is a fair point. However the feeling here recently is so negative to all parts of the club

I don’t think that’s true.  There is a cynicism of Bristol Sport, but  I think most people can divorce BS from BCFC, even if the two are linked, e.g. financially.  We have just gone through a bad run of form at the same time as the season ticket fiasco for example.  You are going to have experienced more negativity about the club overall because both things have happened at the same time.  Pre-Xmas it was different.  Was it wrong at that point that a lot of us were posting positive things?

we all profess to love I just don’t get it. How can you be so negative about something you supposedly love ?

It’s because we want it to do better.

im not arsed to go tit for tat with Mr Negative because I have other shit to do such as life. Trouble is Mr Negative has replicated recently and become the “norm”. Anyone would think we had been relegated this season if you read the forum

The real number of negative for negatives sake posters on here is few and far between, although probably more in number than happy clapping for happy clippings sake....that’s the nature of Forums.  Most people are reacting to what they are evidencing, either for real, or implied by others, media, this forum, rumours etc.

Just my 2 Penneths before I get massively dumped on

Myself - I cannot wait already for the first game in August. Cannot wait to hear the bloke in front of me going apeshit at the ref, and the general banter in the crowd

Nor can I.  And I will sigh at the bloke who moans about Korey Smith all game because of one misplaced pass, just as much as the bloke who sees Flint through rise-tinted specs.  Some people cannot later their view.  Some from both sides of the camp are on here!

COYR and sod the haters I say 

And in some respects, sod the lovers too. :D

I’m probably repeating what lots of others have posted but see above.

• Admin
4 hours ago, Bob Binalong said:

See you in a couple of days :sub::sub:

(PS Did you fall asleep on your enter key?)

10 hours ago, Bob Binalong said:

Ooh my, you're such a tease.

And I'm sorry but that was a full on flounce, you didnt just leave you left a rambling post with no chance of response as you had 'left'.  If you only usually read the forum why feel the need to post that you're leaving?

When I stopped taking the FT I didn't feel the need to take out a full page advert to inform the readership.

11 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I’m probably repeating what lots of others have posted but see above.

And in some respects, sod the lovers too. :D

sorry couldn't work out how to quote both posts

but did/does anyone love him? 

Archived