IGNORED

Best Away Fan Experience this season

italian dave

As long as we can all agree that Birmingham City is the worst experience (everything), closely followed by Reading (location, atmosphere).

Not sure how they measure these things, as the best experiences I can think of have nothing to do with the club themselves - Brentford, Fulham, Norwich and Preston, although Brentford would lose out if you actually factored in club facilities!! Derby and Middlesbrough are alright too, as a nice clean experience, if you don't mind a walk. 

Hull is weird.

58 minutes ago, Olé said:

As long as we can all agree that Birmingham City is the worst experience (everything), closely followed by Reading (location, atmosphere).

Not sure how they measure these things, as the best experiences I can think of have nothing to do with the club themselves - Brentford, Fulham, Norwich and Preston, although Brentford would lose out if you actually factored in club facilities!! Derby and Middlesbrough are alright too, as a nice clean experience, if you don't mind a walk. 

Hull is weird.

The only down side to Middlesbrough is........Middlesbrough! 

1 hour ago, Olé said:

Hull is weird.

Reading this season was alright. Enjoy QPR, despite the crap stand they put you in its a good day out. 

Cardiff is a clear winner for the worst away days I have ever experienced, the hassle, the police, the lifeless stadium the agressive locals in grangetown throwing coins at you. Glad they are gone. 

Due to Illness I only managed three away games this last season.  QPR, Derby and the one I enjoyed most (despite being on medication and unable to drink alcohol) was Burton Albion.  It's a bit of a walk to the ground but a nice day out, quite reminiscent of the old division 4  both in the stadium and the quality of football that day!

1 hour ago, Bassagogo said:

Due to Illness I only managed three away games this last season.  QPR, Derby and the one I enjoyed most (despite being on medication and unable to drink alcohol) was Burton Albion.  It's a bit of a walk to the ground but a nice day out, quite reminiscent of the old division 4  both in the stadium and the quality of football that day!

I quite enjoyed Burton also, first time I had been there and aside from not being used to standing up for 2 hours watching the game it was easy to get to Burton, pubs were good and a visit to a non league standard ground 

4 minutes ago, Singingsuperstar said:

Etihad, we rocked it, shamed the "cityzens" - is this a library!!! 

Was just about to mention it.

I've still got the highlights and the racket we made was astonishing. Only heard their lot about twice through the entire match.

37 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

Was just about to mention it.

I've still got the highlights and the racket we made was astonishing. Only heard their lot about twice through the entire match.

We were mentioned in the Guardian review of the season as the best fans to visit this year by the Man City fella:

mc2.PNG.ab58cf7a41cd74ca1c75dbcf6d1b3e8a.PNG

From here: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/may/12/premier-league-2017-18-fans-verdicts-manchester-city-west-ham

What a great night it was, despite the late goal. Up there with nights like Anfield and the City Ground imo.

Didn't do many this year but 2 new grounds for me and they stood out. Burton was a brilliant day, great pubs and bumped into so many old mates , plus in one place we got 9 pints for about £22 !! Obviously Man City was brilliant too, first time I've seen us concede a late goal and it didn't take the smile off of my face, to a man we were awesome, and I include player and fans in that. 

PS; Burton was slightly tarnished by one of the most inept , boring games of football ever.

36 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

PS; Burton was slightly tarnished by one of the most inept , boring games of football ever.

And, in the seats anyway, the most deafening PA system ever. I don't think I've heard anything that loud since a Slade concert at the Colston Hall

14 hours ago, City Cat said:

Let's hope the Shrews beat Rotherham. Shrewsbury would be a good away day next season....far more preferential that that other nasty place.:fingerscrossed::yes:

Both would be new grounds for me, but I’m hoping for Shrews too.

Burton was my worse away experience this year, glad they have dropped. I usually like the little ‘proper’ grounds but I just didn’t like theirs. As mentioned deafening PA ( I mistakenly got seats instead of terrace), horrible view, awful game but did grab a McDonald’s pre-match which was a plus:laughcont:

• Admin

Looks like people are judging this on out atmosphere etc, surely it is deeper than that and more to do with the actual "experience" of whilst in these grounds?

Question is does a club "really" want to be that welcoming to opposition supporters ? I've always felt Brighton go OTT with what they do, if we want to experience a home feeling we'll go to our own ground?

I wonder where Bristol City came in the list as we used to have great amabassadors etc around the ground

Hi @phantom

We had an encouraging audit, I've just been reading through it. The report was from a Derby fan at the match back in September. Despite the result (from their perspective) they gave a pretty good review of their match day experience. There was good feedback on the number of food stands and bands outside the stadium, chatty & helpful stewards who were welcoming in the away end, comfortable seats with an unobstructed view. There was some comments about lack of signage to the away end and I will work with the Ashton Gate stadium team to look at improving that. They also said the preconception of an away game at Ashton Gate amongst away fans is very good too, and they enjoy an away day in BS3. 

From my point of view the best away experiences in the EFL this season have been at Middlesbrough where they set up a surprise for one of our fans who traveled to the Riverside and at Derby County where there was lots going on around the stadium. I also enjoyed the trip to the Etihad and found all of the stewards/police officers friendly and informative. If I wasn't working as SLO I do like a trip to Craven Cottage and Griffin Park (funnily enough the last 2 away days I did before starting in role).

Matt

Elland Road was an amazing experience, the noise from their fans second half was unbelievable. Shame it was a Sunday evening though. I always like going to Craven Cottage and Brentford, both brilliant, looking forward to doing one or both next season. I also enjoyed going to Villa Park (apart from the result, of course).

• Admin
37 minutes ago, Matt Parsons BCFCSLO said:

There was some comments about lack of signage to the away end and I will work with the Ashton Gate stadium team to look at improving that.

As a side issue @Matt Parsons BCFCSLO it is also amazing to see the number of home supporters that don't seem to realise the home sections of the ground is shaped as a bowl and still think they have to walk to the other end of the ground (EG To get to the South Stand, they don't realise they can enter from the Atyeo / Dolman entrance) I'm guessing in the past these people would have walked around the back of the Dolman Stand to gain admission?

I wonder if this is something that can be highlighted on the back of the ticket where is shows the areas of the ground?

49 minutes ago, Matt Parsons BCFCSLO said:

the best away experiences in the EFL this season have been at Middlesbrough where they set up a surprise for one of our fans

By letting us score first?

Archived