Jump to content
IGNORED

Ashton gate halt and the Portishead rail line (Merged)


Recommended Posts

Not surprising really, as the application was made by North Somerset. That's North Somerset, that don't want to be a part of the four authorities charged with improving the infrastructure of the region. They are lead by that little hitler, Elfan App Rees, a stupid little empire builder that won't relinquish one iota of power, for fear of a hit to his massive ego, so they opted to go it alone. Or so I understand. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This really is a joke, one road out of Portishead and with an ever increasing population, the trouble is is that the route will travel through South Bristol which is always at the back of the queue when it comes to infrastructure, now if only we could call it the Henbury loop line instead!!!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, harrys said:

This really is a joke, one road out of Portishead and with an ever increasing population, the trouble is is that the route will travel through South Bristol which is always at the back of the queue when it comes to infrastructure, now if only we could call it the Henbury loop line instead!!!

North Bristol and South Glos politicians have requested that money planned for the Portishead line, should be reallocated to North Bristol projects.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, myol'man said:

The eyesore Metrobus flyover was built to accommodate A; the Portishead passenger line, and B; the electrification of that line .

A, will probably never happen  :facepalm:

B, will definitely never happen  :grr:

 

Another £2 p!55ed away 

Remember posting about the electrification  a couple of years ago saying it was made up to give the contractors the profit they wanted.   £1 million extra per metre of height was quoted.  People thought it was a good idea.  It's amazing how people simply can't see through this..

Edited by The Bard
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

Marvin would saddle the city with debt for 50 years for his pie-in-the-sky scheme. 

But unlike the glorified bus lane that is Metrobus, a proper underground might actually work. Nothing wrong with borrowing over a long period for a productive asset - most people who buy their own homes saddle themselves with debt for 30 years.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, italian dave said:

But unlike the glorified bus lane that is Metrobus, a proper underground might actually work. Nothing wrong with borrowing over a long period for a productive asset - most people who buy their own homes saddle themselves with debt for 30 years.

They do. But they know the price of the house up front. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, CotswoldRed said:

Marvin would saddle the city with debt for 50 years for his pie-in-the-sky scheme. 

So what,it's getting embarrassing telling people your from bristol.when we played man utd I walked back to temple Meades with a few mancs and they could not believe we only had buses in bristol.I didn't mention the arena,our village airport or the fact every music venue in the city is nearly closed.let's think big for once

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Fodbarmyarmy said:

Of course central govt don't want to stump up the cash.....  Bristol reputation in central govt is a place that DON'T GET NOTHING DONE !  

No New stadium...No arena then no need for new rail link ...... 

 

Agreed but, central government effectively punishes the area due to the separated authorities. Each one makes a separate or sometimes joint application for funding, and each one is systematically turned down, in favour of a scheme in an area with a higher population. The reality is that this is not the case, it's just that the area and population are sub divided and each area wants to remain in control of their budgets, without relinquishing any power to an authority which might just get that funding. Divide and rule comes to mind in this area, it's always struggled to attract funding from any government, regardless of political persuasion. Although disliked by many, the former Avon area was better equipped, if not always successful when applying for funding from central government or European funding. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, Mtimmy11 said:

So what,it's getting embarrassing telling people your from bristol.when we played man utd I walked back to temple Meades with a few mancs and they could not believe we only had buses in bristol.I didn't mention the arena,our village airport or the fact every music venue in the city is nearly closed.let's think big for once

Quite agree. The labour council thought big when agreeing to fund the Royal Portbury Dock. It saddled the city with debt but, was proven to be one of the city's best ever investments.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Mtimmy11 said:

So what,it's getting embarrassing telling people your from bristol.when we played man utd I walked back to temple Meades with a few mancs and they could not believe we only had buses in bristol.I didn't mention the arena,our village airport or the fact every music venue in the city is nearly closed.let's think big for once

Too many councillors taking backhanders from cycling "charities" trying to turn Bristol into some sort of British version of Amsterdam or Copenhagen.

Never going to happen! We are AN AGING POPULATION! The number of people able to cycle will DECREASE as time goes on. This means we need MORE INVESTMENT IN INFRASTRUCTURE AND PUBLIC TRANSPORT including ALTERNATIVES TO DRIVING AND BUSSES!

I despair at the ineptitude of the local authorities... no let me rephrase that - I despair at the pro-cycling bias and failure to see the bigger picture from the local authorities. Wanting to make the south west some sort of eco-paradise by forcing cycling upon a population that is 100% able to do it is naive.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Fodbarmyarmy said:

Of course central govt don't want to stump up the cash.....  Bristol reputation in central govt is a place that DON'T GET NOTHING DONE !  

No New stadium...No arena then no need for new rail link ...... 

 

Exactly! ....any other city and ithey would have had all of this built and operational ages ago ...:yawn:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, myol'man said:

The eyesore Metrobus flyover was built to accommodate A; the Portishead passenger line, and B; the electrification of that line .

A, will probably never happen  :facepalm:

B, will definitely never happen  :grr:

 

Another £2 p!55ed away 

At least it wasn't expensive then :fear:

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...