IGNORED

Ashton gate halt and the Portishead rail line (Merged)

On 09/04/2019 at 08:28, TomF said:

If you look to your left on A370 going into Bristol you’ll see if just as the A369 traffic joins.

Theres still platforms down by the old A&S police and dogs unit as well which was Clifton Bridge station. Lot more disused stations (ie closed before line closed) along the line that you’d imagine 

7ACE2B92-C421-449D-9AD5-862D4482C0C8.jpeg

I'd love to know where this map and milages came from?

• Admin

May be of interest to some on here (especially @Never to the dark side )

This is the presentation that was given by Peter Maliphant the Membership Secretary of the Portishead Railway Group at a recent meeting with North Somerset council https://www.portisheadrailwaygroup.org/The Next Four Years.pdf

Also the full report to the council following that meeting http://apps.n-somerset.gov.uk/cairo/docs/doc29672.pdf

• Like 1

1 hour ago, phantom said:

May be of interest to some on here (especially @Never to the dark side )

This is the presentation that was given by Peter Maliphant the Membership Secretary of the Portishead Railway Group at a recent meeting with North Somerset council https://www.portisheadrailwaygroup.org/The Next Four Years.pdf

Also the full report to the council following that meeting http://apps.n-somerset.gov.uk/cairo/docs/doc29672.pdf

Blimey! Just reading that report makes you wince! If Brunel had had to live with that I reckon the GWR would never have got further than Saltford. 

• Like 2

This is one of the drawbacks to living in a modern democracy. 

When I was in China 2 years ago, our guide in Shanghai was quite ‘political’ and he said ‘you westerners value your democratic system where everyone has a say, but we built Shanghai into a huge metropolis in 30 years with fully functional everything. In your west you would still be arguing over where the first stone should be laid.’

although I wouldn’t swop his regime for ours quite yet (getting close recently) he has a point. 

• Like 6

9 hours ago, TomF said:

All this fuss about trying to shoe horn in an hourly service around the freight running from Portbury and yet right now pretty much *nothing* is going down the line. Nearly all the daily paths are cancelled each day.  All the coal trains have stopped due to the coal fired power stations all closing, they've built a cargo/container system in Avonmouth and about 99% of the cars coming in are going out on transporters.  The only thing that's run down the line lately is new rolling stock that was collected by rail operations group. The lines getting overgrown its barely being used! 

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/advanced/PTBRLOP/2019/07/17/0000-2359?stp=WVSC&show=all&order=wtt 

The slots are in place, cancelled on the day doesn’t mean they could suddenly fit in a passenger train,

its cheques and balances, reduce the amount of slots for the foc’s (Freight operating companies) won’t happen until a year after the time table is published imo,

(I’m not on the time table planning section thankfully)

just getting passenger trains to run is the only aim at the moment, we can always increase services later (if the infrastructure around parson street allows it)

4 hours ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

This is one of the drawbacks to living in a modern democracy. 

When I was in China 2 years ago, our guide in Shanghai was quite ‘political’ and he said ‘you westerners value your democratic system where everyone has a say, but we built Shanghai into a huge metropolis in 30 years with fully functional everything. In your west you would still be arguing over where the first stone should be laid.’

although I wouldn’t swop his regime for ours quite yet (getting close recently) he has a point. 

At what human cost was Shanghai built up though. Nowadays you only have to look at their treatment of the Euighurs (sp?) to realise they are a million miles from any sort of accountability. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

At what human cost was Shanghai built up though. Nowadays you only have to look at their treatment of the Euighurs (sp?) to realise they are a million miles from any sort of accountability. 

The Euiighurs live up in the north - but I get what you are saying - hence my comment about not wanting their regime.  I think there is a balance to be struck and the Chinese and ourselves are the extremes when it comes to engineering projects. 

• Like 1

I read recently that North Somerset Council are now giving "serious consideration" to residents parking zones, and particularly mentioned were Long Ashton and Leigh Woods. 

So we'll have a 28000 seat venue that's virtually surrounded by RPZs in both Bristol and NS, a metrobus system that passes the ground but doesn't run when half our games are played and (by its own admission) wasn't designed for that amount of use, a huge car park at the P&R that for some reason can't be opened, and now a rail line that will run right past the ground but won't stop. 

If SL still owns Ashton Vale, how about a huge car park and shuttle buses? 

• Haha 1

• Admin
8 minutes ago, italian dave said:

I read recently that North Somerset Council are now giving "serious consideration" to residents parking zones, and particularly mentioned were Long Ashton and Leigh Woods. 

So we'll have a 28000 seat venue that's virtually surrounded by RPZs in both Bristol and NS, a metrobus system that passes the ground but doesn't run when half our games are played and (by its own admission) wasn't designed for that amount of use, a huge car park at the P&R that for some reason can't be opened, and now a rail line that will run right past the ground but won't stop. 

and amazingly NSC still stand in the way of the Long Ashton park and ride area being used on a matchday

7 minutes ago, italian dave said:

He's building 520 houses on that land

We have a huge park and ride car park which we cant use, why does anyone think they will let us use Ashton Halt. Transport plan, joined up thinking, don't make me laugh!  The only thing holding Bristol back from being a really great city...…………………………………………………….is the Council.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, myol'man said:

No surprise there NTTDS

This is Bristol, where joined up travel plans is right up there with space travel and magic beans 

34 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

We wont need an ashton gate halt when the new underground metro starts up

22 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

...or simply wait for the hover transportation system to arrive ........we don't need roads!..or rail !  (Sorry John)

Tele-portation will have become the norm before Bristol gets a joined up public transport system.

• Haha 1

I guess it's academic at the moment but a while ago the powers that be finally opened a long planned but very overdue station to serve the Rico Arena in Coventry. Unfortunately the Rail Franchise that ran on that part of the network didn't have the rolling stock to serve match day demand therefore stopped no trains on match days for several hours either side of kick off. The station was effectively useless because no one wanted it outside of matches and no on could use it when there was one. 

Utterly inept, incompetent and useless local authorities and transport plans aren't just limited to Bristol. 

The station at Ashton gate was dropped from the plans back in the spring, sure I posted on here back then, they have basically cut the plan back to the bear minimum to run a train service, 

There will be no passing loop for passinger trains at Pill so it will only be one train an hour on the line , the loop will be there but only for fright train use as only putting 1 platform back into use, the plan now is to make the platform's at the 2 stations on the line able to take 6 coach trains for peak times, 

No parking planned for Pill as they don't want people coming off the M5 and using it as a park and ride, 

They have now agreed the Portishead trains can stop at bedminster as they are going to put the slow line back into use but only between temple meads and bedminster so the trains will still not be able to stop at Parson Street,

So really the new trains will be no help at all in getting us to the football, 

1 hour ago, myol'man said:

Not forgetting that we have a new Metrobus system with a gurt big flyover and a Ashton Gate stop*

*not suitable for football supporters

** and won’t pick football supporters up at Cumberland Basin either.

*** next attempt will be from Long Ashton P&R itself

Truly pathetic local Council(s) - almost as if they are actively trying to encourage the use of private cars. 

• Like 1