IGNORED

Ashton gate halt and the Portishead rail line (Merged)

9 minutes ago, harrys said:

So they don’t get ready cash, so what are these services that people in Cardiff or Newport get that I don’t get? 

Anything Welsh Assembly Government wishes to provide them (and importantly it doesn't have to be spent on infrastructure.) Its largely why prescriptions are free to all and there's huge spending on promoting Welsh heritage, culture and language even in areas where most are unable to follow what's going on.

I don't follow your preoccupation with 'cash' as all bar a few payments made on that basis to members of the public are via Westminster not any devolved authority.

17 hours ago, James54De said:

Motorpoint arena in cardiff is quite frankly, shite. New one is nowhere near. Bristol will have two decent arenas long before cardiff ever does. 

Clueless. Cardiff start building theirs early next year ( I live in Newport)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BTRFTG said:

Anything Welsh Assembly Government wishes to provide them (and importantly it doesn't have to be spent on infrastructure.) Its largely why prescriptions are free to all and there's huge spending on promoting Welsh heritage, culture and language even in areas where most are unable to follow what's going on.

I don't follow your preoccupation with 'cash' as all bar a few payments made on that basis to members of the public are via Westminster not any devolved authority.

Someone earlier in the thread said that every man woman and child receive £5200 per annum, I was just curious how and in what way they received this and how it benefits your normal Joe public

On 23/10/2021 at 19:59, harrys said:

Someone earlier in the thread said that every man woman and child receive £5200 per annum, I was just curious how and in what way they received this and how it benefits your normal Joe public

The quote was: "Every man woman and child in Wales receives an additional £5,200 per annum under the Barnett Formula which they can splurge on whatever they want, not necessarily anything they need. Scots receive about twice that"    That someone earlier was BTRFTG, who you directed the question to.

It actually states "under the Barnett Formula". This means that the extra £5200 per person is paid to the Welsh government and not to Joe public, they then use it so say, for the benefit of Joe public.

I've done a little looking into this and found that the benefits Welsh Joe public receive are, free prescriptions for anyone. In England, although 90% get this free, the other 10% have to pay, even if they have a chronic illness and struggle to keep a roof over their head and feed and clothe their children. Free bus travel for over 60's. In England we currently have to wait seven years longer. A subsidised council owned bus service. The infrastructure invested in, to provide facilities for Joe public to use, such as the existing Arena, plus the New arena being built. The electrification of the valley rail network, with new lines being built across Cardiff and to the Cardiff Bay, the money for this upgrading and new lines, is coming from the Welsh budget and the UK government £125m. Link: South Wales Metro, United Kingdom (railway-technology.com). They've had massive investment compared to this region.

In reality, I think it's more to do with what we don't get, or haven't got. There is also a disparity within England, due to that same Barnet formula, felt more probably in this region, due to our proximity to Wales. Other cities close to both Wales and Scotland also receive healthy subsidies due to that same formula, so maybe don't suffer the same inequalities as Bristol does. Bristol is I believe, the only core city with a net contribution towards the UK economy. All other core cities receive more than they pay in from central government grants. Perhaps this is part of the reason they all have decent arenas', good transport systems, good sporting facilities. The less well off within our area, who maybe can't afford to travel around various other parts of the country, are denied access to top quality performing artists, as a result, and those that can afford to travel, have to pay more and are inconvenienced.

• Flames 1

10 minutes ago, Rich said:

Bristol is I believe, the only core city with a net contribution towards the UK economy.

It’s certainly true that we’re one of only a few (at most) regions that contributes positively to the exchequer. 

Basically we get effed in return. It doesn’t help that we have a mayor who’s presided over the majority of the absolute scandal that is Bristol Energy as well as spunking as-yet-unknown sums on the pre-feasibility studies (guess what, they recommended moving to actual feasibility studies) on the underground project  as well as the Western Harbour fiasco. 

If Marv (or one of his family) doesn't end up a consultant or director of YTL or L&G I’ll be staggered.  

The thick end of £50 million being lost by Bristol Energy will f u ck this city for years to come. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

It’s certainly true that we’re one of only a few (at most) regions that contributes positively to the exchequer. 

Basically we get effed in return. It doesn’t help that we have a mayor who’s presided over the majority of the absolute scandal that is Bristol Energy as well as spunking as-yet-unknown sums on the pre-feasibility studies (guess what, they recommended moving to actual feasibility studies) on the underground project  as well as the Western Harbour fiasco. 

If Marv (or one of his family) doesn't end up a consultant or director of YTL or L&G I’ll be staggered.  

The thick end of £50 million being lost by Bristol Energy will f u ck this city for years to come. 

Not that i’m sticking up for this useless mayor as I blame the numptys who thought it was a good idea to have a mayor in the first place but wasn’t Bristol energy the brainchild of the previous mayor?

On 21/10/2021 at 21:38, Rich said:

I agree that we are successful but, we still have no Arena, we still have no transport system, we still have no athletics stadium, we still have no Olympic sized pool. I doubt any cities we currently compete with for events suffer with this lack of infrastructure funding. When I say compete, I meant to say, we think about it, then don't bother, as we can't compete.

Thank goodness for the entrepreneurs' of Bristol, the likes of Steve Lansdown and Wael Al Qadi, who've put their money where their mouth is to provide great facilities/tents for the city's football clubs.

To be fair, there is a public Olympic sized swimming pool five minutes walk from my house here in South Bristol...

13 hours ago, Rich said:

The quote was: "Every man woman and child in Wales receives an additional £5,200 per annum under the Barnett Formula which they can splurge on whatever they want, not necessarily anything they need. Scots receive about twice that"    That someone earlier was BTRFTG, who you directed the question to.

It actually states "under the Barnett Formula". This means that the extra £5200 per person is paid to the Welsh government and not to Joe public, they then use it so say, for the benefit of Joe public.

I've done a little looking into this and found that the benefits Welsh Joe public receive are, free prescriptions for anyone. In England, although 90% get this free, the other 10% have to pay, even if they have a chronic illness and struggle to keep a roof over their head and feed and clothe their children. Free bus travel for over 60's. In England we currently have to wait seven years longer. A subsidised council owned bus service. The infrastructure invested in, to provide facilities for Joe public to use, such as the existing Arena, plus the New arena being built. The electrification of the valley rail network, with new lines being built across Cardiff and to the Cardiff Bay, the money for this upgrading and new lines, is coming from the Welsh budget and the UK government £125m. Link: South Wales Metro, United Kingdom (railway-technology.com). They've had massive investment compared to this region.

In reality, I think it's more to do with what we don't get, or haven't got. There is also a disparity within England, due to that same Barnet formula, felt more probably in this region, due to our proximity to Wales. Other cities close to both Wales and Scotland also receive healthy subsidies due to that same formula, so maybe don't suffer the same inequalities as Bristol does. Bristol is I believe, the only core city with a net contribution towards the UK economy. All other core cities receive more than they pay in from central government grants. Perhaps this is part of the reason they all have decent arenas', good transport systems, good sporting facilities. The less well off within our area, who maybe can't afford to travel around various other parts of the country, are denied access to top quality performing artists, as a result, and those that can afford to travel, have to pay more and are inconvenienced.

London is by a country mile the largest net contributor to the UK economy.

It's also not the case that Barnett applies to England. It doesn't, but regions do receive block grants from Westminster, which of course themselves increase the contributions made to the devolved administrations.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

It's also not the case that Barnett applies to England. It doesn't, but regions do receive block grants from Westminster, which of course themselves increase the contributions made to the devolved administrations.

Yep, London & Bristol are the only 2 core cities that are net contributors.

3 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

Sorry, I thought that went without saying, as London and the south east produces something like 75% of the country's income.

4 hours ago, elhombrecito said:

To be fair, there is a public Olympic sized swimming pool five minutes walk from my house here in South Bristol...

You're correct. I looked up South Bristol pool and it gave the figures as 30 Metres long. That was the council site and if I was being cynical, I'd say it's a way of not referring to it's proper name of, Jubilee Swimming pool.

39 minutes ago, Rich said:

You're correct. I looked up South Bristol pool and it gave the figures as 30 Metres long. That was the council site and if I was being cynical, I'd say it's a way of not referring to it's proper name of, Jubilee Swimming pool.

Surely we mean swimming baths? 

The Pool was in W-S-M now inappropriately called Tropicana.

17 hours ago, Rich said:

I've done a little looking into this and found that the benefits Welsh Joe public receive are, free prescriptions for anyone. In England, although 90% get this free, the other 10% have to pay, even if they have a chronic illness and struggle to keep a roof over their head and feed and clothe their children. 

I had to look into that myself as it seemed extremely high...and I think you've misread this.  It's actually only 40% of the population that get free prescriptions.  It's just that 90% of dispensed items are prescribed to this 40% due to the elderly (in particular) and children generally being prescribed more than those that pay.

9 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

I had to look into that myself as it seemed extremely high...and I think you've misread this.  It's actually only 40% of the population that get free prescriptions.  It's just that 90% of dispensed items are prescribed to this 40% due to the elderly (in particular) and children generally being prescribed more than those that pay.

https://www.nhs.uk/nhs-services/prescriptions-and-pharmacies/who-can-get-free-prescriptions/

This will sort the uncertainty out!

3 hours ago, Rich said:

Not sure what Jubilee has to do with anything... Hengrove Leisure Centre has a 50m pool... :fish:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 23/10/2021 at 17:30, harrys said:

So they don’t get ready cash, so what are these services that people in Cardiff or Newport get that I don’t get? 

Free prescriptions; greatly increased grants for students; quicker doctor appointments; etc. 

On 23/10/2021 at 18:03, BS3_RED said:

Clueless. Cardiff start building theirs early next year ( I live in Newport)

I live in cardiff. Not got planning permission yet, nor even Business case agreements. This has also been in the works since ~2007. Even if everything goes swimmingly from now it’s been accepted it won’t be open till at least 2025. 

Plus, the Motorpoint is almost certainly being knocked down rather soon.

Who's clueless now?

Edited by James54De
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, James54De said:

Free prescriptions; greatly increased grants for students; quicker doctor appointments; etc. 

I live in cardiff. Not got planning permission yet, nor even Business case agreements. This has also been in the works since ~2007. Even if everything goes swimmingly from now it’s been accepted it won’t be open till at least 2025. 

Who's clueless now?

Sounds great, might move to Merthyr Tydfil 

1 hour ago, James54De said:

Who's clueless now?

It’s not going to be demolished before the proposed Bay arena is built though. Wouldn’t have thought Live Nation would allow it without massive recompense. It’s got acts booked through 2022. 

On 25/10/2021 at 17:15, elhombrecito said:

Not sure what Jubilee has to do with anything... Hengrove Leisure Centre has a 50m pool... :fish:

When I googled "South Bristol Pool" the information giving the size was listed. Unfortunately, that information referred to the Jubilee pool, not the One at the Hengrove Sports centre, which I thought was called the South Bristol Pool, as that is what it was called initially. Jubilee has always been known as that.