IGNORED

Ashton gate halt and the Portishead rail line (Merged)

On 25/10/2021 at 15:23, Steve Watts said:

I had to look into that myself as it seemed extremely high...and I think you've misread this.  It's actually only 40% of the population that get free prescriptions.  It's just that 90% of dispensed items are prescribed to this 40% due to the elderly (in particular) and children generally being prescribed more than those that pay.

Yes, thanks, I should have read further into the report. So the figure for those having to pay for prescriptions in England at 60%, is even higher and, more waited in favour of the Welsh population, not that I begrudge them it . Just wish we had the same spending on us this side of the bridge.

On 25/10/2021 at 19:02, James54De said:

Free prescriptions; greatly increased grants for students; quicker doctor appointments; etc. 

I live in cardiff. Not got planning permission yet, nor even Business case agreements. This has also been in the works since ~2007. Even if everything goes swimmingly from now it’s been accepted it won’t be open till at least 2025. 

Plus, the Motorpoint is almost certainly being knocked down rather soon.

Who's clueless now?

Directly from the council,

These are the dates set out by Cardiff Council:

• September 2021: Cabinet decision on the Full Business Case and Delivery Agreement;

• October 2021: Contract award notice issued and developer to submit planning application;

• February 2022: Planning decision and initial site works to begin;

• March 2022: Contract signed;

• April 2022: Construction begins;

• Arena opens end of 2024.

So to say its nowhere near is clueless. Like I said they plan to start building early next year. Two to three years would be around the correct construction time for an arena allowing for the inevitable problems etc.

Edited by BS3_RED

33 minutes ago, TomF said:

That busway campaign bloke is an utter tool. Why the NCE are even giving him airtime is beyond me. His ‘plan’ is total nonsense 

Bus from park and ride to temple meads 18 minutes?

Has this bloke ever been in the city during rush hour?

37 minutes ago, TomF said:

That busway campaign bloke is an utter tool. Why the NCE are even giving him airtime is beyond me. His ‘plan’ is total nonsense 

I live in Pill and it would be great to hop on a train on match days into Ashton. I’m not sure if it really makes much difference if it is a train or a bus I just can’t see enough people using it to make it a financially viable option. Four of us drive and pay a tenner parking on match days and a couple of quid on fuel where as public transport is 20 pound. It doesn’t pay to catch public transport (unless we are having a few beers! ?) If the council and government are serious about getting cars off the road then whatever the alternative they provide it needs to be convenient and cheaper. Having to wait for nearly an hour for a bus if it turns up at all is not tempting people to using public transport. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Red Billy said:

I live in Pill and it would be great to hop on a train on match days into Ashton. I’m not sure if it really makes much difference if it is a train or a bus I just can’t see enough people using it to make it a financially viable option. Four of us drive and pay a tenner parking on match days and a couple of quid on fuel where as public transport is 20 pound. It doesn’t pay to catch public transport (unless we are having a few beers! ?) If the council and government are serious about getting cars off the road then whatever the alternative they provide it needs to be convenient and cheaper. Having to wait for nearly an hour for a bus if it turns up at all is not tempting people to using public transport. 

But looking at the route this guy is suggesting, the bus would get nowhere near Pill, it would be redirected over the M5 bridge and on to the Sea Mills side of the river. 

A cynic would suggest that the only reason the government is giving this time, is to delay having to commit to the rail line.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Red Billy said:

Buy a boat ;)

2 hours ago, Monkeh said:

Bus from park and ride to temple meads 18 minutes?

Has this bloke ever been in the city during rush hour?

When I used to drive them it was never 18 minutes. Not even the middle of the day. It was 20 to the centre and another 5 to Redcliffe in the middle of the day. Rush hours was a very different story, and was often an aspiration rather than anything based on reality.

• Like 1

On 27/10/2021 at 11:02, BS3_RED said:

Directly from the council,

These are the dates set out by Cardiff Council:

• September 2021: Cabinet decision on the Full Business Case and Delivery Agreement;

• October 2021: Contract award notice issued and developer to submit planning application;

• February 2022: Planning decision and initial site works to begin;

• March 2022: Contract signed;

• April 2022: Construction begins;

• Arena opens end of 2024.

So to say its nowhere near is clueless. Like I said they plan to start building early next year. Two to three years would be around the correct construction time for an arena allowing for the inevitable problems etc.

April 2022 is in a few months time not next year.

3 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

But looking at the route this guy is suggesting, the bus would get nowhere near Pill, it would be redirected over the M5 bridge and on to the Sea Mills side of the river. 

A cynic would suggest that the only reason the government is giving this time, is to delay having to commit to the rail line.

If I was a betting man my bet would be on the rail line never opening, the cost seems to go up by the hour, they have been proposing this for 20 years it started out at £37 million the last estimate (almost certainly to be a wild guess) was £170 odd million, not happening, with WFH and Zoom the demand just won't be there for the greater part of the day.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, pillred said:

If I was a betting man my bet would be on the rail line never opening, the cost seems to go up by the hour, they have been proposing this for 20 years it started out at £37 million the last estimate (almost certainly to be a wild guess) was £170 odd million, not happening, with WFH and Zoom the demand just won't be there for the greater part of the day.

You'd probably lose your bet to be honest...

27 minutes ago, Slippin cider said:

What is needed is a proper joined up railway from Portishead to BTM then on to the SB line with services via Henbury and Filton and back to BTM and Portishead….:yawn:

Agreed - but what are the chances of it ever happening!  

Edited by Mr X

11 hours ago, Monkeh said:

You'd probably lose your bet to be honest...

We will see about that, it's my gut feeling I think the cost has become an issue £170+ million, with all the money being spent on Covid measures track and trace, furlough etc and the bill for HS2 it will be quietly ditched.

9 hours ago, pillred said:

We will see about that, it's my gut feeling I think the cost has become an issue £170+ million, with all the money being spent on Covid measures track and trace, furlough etc and the bill for HS2 it will be quietly ditched.

Well, they are in the process of appoint contractors......

On 13/01/2022 at 15:38, Oh Louie louie said:

Took about 9 years to build the trans siberian railway.

Id sack, whoever is in charge of this project.

I'm not sure the approach to Health & Safety used when building the Trans Siberian railway would work for the Portishead line today!

• Haha 1