IGNORED

Ashton gate halt and the Portishead rail line (Merged)

1 hour ago, italian dave said:

C4 News reporting live from Portishead on the report today about all the homes and businesses that will be lost to climate change and rising sea levels over the next 30 years. North Somerset has the highest number of any local authority in the country, and Portishead has a high proportion of those.

So maybe it’s not going to be worth bothering with the railway line….

Maybe we should suggest building the whole line in a tunnel that can be made waterproof!

12 hours ago, italian dave said:

C4 News reporting live from Portishead on the report today about all the homes and businesses that will be lost to climate change and rising sea levels over the next 30 years. North Somerset has the highest number of any local authority in the country, and Portishead has a high proportion of those.

So maybe it’s not going to be worth bothering with the railway line….

I didn't see the report, but unless there has been a dramatic change the tipping point was predicted by a report in 2008 to be in around 150 years.

I am sure it will change again anyway, if you go to the Natural History museum they have an exhibit about the changing shape of Britain of the years (the Thames ran through where Norwich is now at one time!}, at different times it shows no Bristol Channel at all and at other times Glastonbury Tor as an island in the Somerset Levels. I know we saw bad flooding in the levels in recent times, but this was for a 1000 year period less than 5000 years ago.

52 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I didn't see the report, but unless there has been a dramatic change the tipping point was predicted by a report in 2008 to be in around 150 years.

I am sure it will change again anyway, if you go to the Natural History museum they have an exhibit about the changing shape of Britain of the years (the Thames ran through where Norwich is now at one time!}, at different times it shows no Bristol Channel at all and at other times Glastonbury Tor as an island in the Somerset Levels. I know we saw bad flooding in the levels in recent times, but this was for a 1000 year period less than 5000 years ago.

Alfred the Great hid in the Somerset Levels when it was a boggy marsh - which of course was over 1000 years ago 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, TomF said:

I mean its not surprising they've built on flat, former industrial, land right next to a river with the second highest tidal range in the world.Quite happy on 480ft up at the back of the town personally :D

If we get flooded up Bemmy Down the rest of you are ****ed!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, TomF said:

I mean its not surprising they've built on flat, former industrial, land right next to a river with the second highest tidal range in the world.Quite happy on 480ft up at the back of the town personally :D

Have you got a spare room for a refugee from 5ft up on the High Street?!! 

6 hours ago, TomF said:

I had it all looked at when we bought our place in 2010, the part I am on the land was raised by 2 metres before they built, they also have put in a series of sluices and run offs to deal with sudden changes. Basically the report said that the High Street and area around Old Mill Rd would flood before we did on the nature reserve.

On 16/06/2022 at 18:30, Port Said Red said:

I had it all looked at when we bought our place in 2010, the part I am on the land was raised by 2 metres before they built, they also have put in a series of sluices and run offs to deal with sudden changes. Basically the report said that the High Street and area around Old Mill Rd would flood before we did on the nature reserve.

This is what the predictor says it will look like by 2050. So it only the uphillers that will survive. On the plus side Newport is history

image.thumb.png.4cd16841487d71ba515f8d88df0475e3.png

This is the website modelling the map

2050 is plenty of time to sell your house ?

Edited by TonyTonyTony

1 hour ago, Never to the dark side said:

Politicians dithering and delaying things so that the project is now likely to cost much more due to inflation and may not happen at all. No surprise there then. Far more chance of us making the Premier League than anyone being able to catch a train to Portishead any time soon.

As for the flooding issues, at least Portbury and Avonmouth Docks will be substantially bigger!!

I think Parson Street Station has missed out on 1000s of extra passengers, especially those who use Search Engines to find train times to New destinations.

The Station should be renamed Parson Street (Bristol Airport). Whether Blackwell and Nailsea is nearer as the crow flies is neither here nor there. Both have Bristol in their title. Both are a nightmare for parking, pick-up etc.. A perfect marriage! 

1 hour ago, TonyTonyTony said:

This is what the predictor says it will look like by 2050. So it only the uphillers that will survive. On the plus side Newport is history

Well no one is taking much notice, the prices are still ridiculous down here. Mad to think I live in a house I couldn't afford to buy tomorrow. ?

1 hour ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Surprised to see that my house - on the edge of West Sedgemoor - looks set to avoid flooding. Only by about fifty yards though. If I make it to 95 I may buy a canoe.

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Well no one is taking much notice, the prices are still ridiculous down here. Mad to think I live in a house I couldn't afford to buy tomorrow. ?

:laugh:, I'm in the same boat! Our house price has more than doubled in 8 years, and some of the shit on sale for 400 grand plus you have to see to believe!

Edited by frenchred
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

Have you seen the new flats, ARC being built opposite Subway? The top floor flat is listed at 900 grand. It has a view of and IBIS hotel, Subway and Wetherspoons. Taking the piss.

10 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Have you seen the new flats, ARC being built opposite Subway? The top floor flat is listed at 900 grand. It has a view of and IBIS hotel, Subway and Wetherspoons. Taking the piss.

I haven't seen a price list for them, but yes that's ridiculous, they will be buy to lets for sure. At least they look more aesthetically pleasing than the building the bastards built next door, known locally as HMP Portishead! Now that is taking the piss, building it as "retirement living" knowing full well there wasn't the call for it, then trying to get the Planning App changed retrospectively.  

Edited by Port Said Red
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

If average income levels had matched average house prices since 1990, then the average income today would be £70,000 a year.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

45 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I haven't seen a price list for them, but yes that's ridiculous, they will be buy to lets for sure. At least they look more aesthetically pleasing than the building the bastards built next door, known locally as HMP Portishead! Now that is taking the piss, building it as "retirement living" knowing full well there wasn't the call for it, then trying to get the Planning App changed retrospectively.  

Unbelievable ain't it, you can view the for sale ARC ones on rightmove, who in their right mind would pay 900 grand to sit on a balcony overlooking spoons and subway!

They have got the planning permission changed now haven't they for the prison? It's gonna be run by alliance homes!!

7 minutes ago, frenchred said:

They have got the planning permission changed now haven't they for the prison? It's gonna be run by alliance homes!!

Combo of rent to buy, shared ownership and social housing. Ive actually had a look inside - the flats are decent. On ground floor there is a spa area and a huge kitchen /dining area. Its expected that will be turned into something the public can use. Whoever built it, must be looking at a loss as they have been empty for ages now. Bloody waste

29 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Combo of rent to buy, shared ownership and social housing. Ive actually had a look inside - the flats are decent. On ground floor there is a spa area and a huge kitchen /dining area. Its expected that will be turned into something the public can use. Whoever built it, must be looking at a loss as they have been empty for ages now. Bloody waste

They are trying to create parking spaces at the moment, they will still be limited though. I thought Pure Gym were looking at the Spa Area, but they have moved into the old Argos space. The delays have been of their own making really, they got planning permission for a 2 storey building then immediately applied for 5 storeys while they just cleared the site. Then having got the 5 storeys they then decided that there wasn't the demand for it. How they knew this I don't know because they never advertised it on their website or anywhere else, I know becuase my in-laws were interested and I tried to book them a site visit. Then "suddenly" they wanted to have it as apartments instead, which was clearly their plan all along, luckily the new councillors at least managed to put the caveats in to make it affordable etc.

6 minutes ago, TomF said:

Total farce but they got what they deserved. Many people mentioned they contacted about the original cared residential scheme and didn’t hear anything back. Then the developer claims a lack of interest and slaps on a change of use.  For once NSC did the right thing and told them to get stuffed.  The compromise in being affordable housing was a good solution to a already built building but I’d have loved them to have said they had to stick with original plan 

Agree. The bigger issue is allowing more to be built off Harbour road. It’s already a nightmare yet the council approve more flats and a recent housing estate down at harbour edge. Someone will get knocked down there soon. Piss poor town planning

11 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Agree. The bigger issue is allowing more to be built off Harbour road. It’s already a nightmare yet the council approve more flats and a recent housing estate down at harbour edge. Someone will get knocked down there soon. Piss poor town planning

There needs to be a mini roundabout too, going straight across to the car park or vice versa is dicey at best.

Edited by Port Said Red
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, TomF said:

Not under this government probably not.  Although if WECA are stumping up £10m then maybe the Gov might find the £15m.. or £10m and ask NSC to foot the other £5m. 

Apparently North Somerset promising £10 million of £25 million shortfall. Dan Norris is reported to be looking to see what WECA can offer. But neither of those are Tory run, unlike our incompetent government, many of whom seem to have only one role which is bailing out the lies of BoJo the clown, rather than actually doing anything constructive…

7 hours ago, TomF said:

Not under this government probably not.  Although if WECA are stumping up £10m then maybe the Gov might find the £15m.. or £10m and ask NSC to foot the other £5m. 

Problem is by the time they ALL get their act together it will have gone up at least another £10 million with inflation currently running at 10% a year on 150 odd million it quickly adds up.