IGNORED

Ashton gate halt and the Portishead rail line (Merged)

2 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Here in Weston car parking charges are ridiculous, obviously because of the tourists. But as a local that makes it difficult to enjoy the town. 

Busses being 2 quid is great value but for me whilst I live right on a bus route, it still takes about 40 mins to get to the town centre for what is pretty much a 5 minute car journey. The busses don't use direct routes. They go all through the estates etc. 

So what I tend to do is plan any town centre journeys around needing to go to Tescos as if spend X amount you get a few hours free parking. 

I'd really like to use the bus more but it's just not convenient despite it being very affordable. 

The pay booths at Tesco weren’t working the other day when I visited Weston, asked an employee who said they hadn’t been working for ages?

passenger numbers just been published Parson Street

for year ending March 2023 157,036

figures for year ending March 2020(start of Covid)was 174,000

With men's and women's football/rugby and the basketball,and the music events to take place at Ashton figures(next year) could hit 200,000

not to mention coming out of covid and more workers returning to there work place.

If you are traveling away from BTM but don't live near Parson Street get the booking office staff to have the tickets issued from Parson street,its normally the same price

If you have friends/relations coming to visit get them to have their tickets to Parson Street,even they don't use them

• Admin
6 hours ago, Never to the dark side said:

If you are traveling away from BTM but don't live near Parson Street get the booking office staff to have the tickets issued from Parson street,its normally the same price

If you have friends/relations coming to visit get them to have their tickets to Parson Street,even they don't use them

Out of interest, what is the benefit for doing this? 

20 minutes ago, phantom said:

Out of interest, what is the benefit for doing this? 

Records as a trip from Parson Street. Slightly bogus, but I suspect most travellers don't indulge. So passenger numbers are fairly accurate. I always book a return to TM as same price despite often missing connection at TM on return. Thankfully there is the 75 from Redcliffe. 

• Like 1

• Admin
11 hours ago, miser said:

Records as a trip from Parson Street. Slightly bogus, but I suspect most travellers don't indulge. So passenger numbers are fairly accurate. I always book a return to TM as same price despite often missing connection at TM on return. Thankfully there is the 75 from Redcliffe. 

Yeah, I understand the first part

But I am unsure how it is of use, and if it is what is it impacting?

Though I doubt many (if any) do this anyway

6 minutes ago, phantom said:

It is to inflate passenger numbers for the station to justify its operation and keep a reasonable number of services based on its 'footfall'. Which are greatly appreciated particularly when travelling from Somerset 

• Like 1

On 14/12/2023 at 16:00, Never to the dark side said:

passenger numbers just been published Parson Street

for year ending March 2023 157,036

figures for year ending March 2020(start of Covid)was 174,000

With men's and women's football/rugby and the basketball,and the music events to take place at Ashton figures(next year) could hit 200,000

not to mention coming out of covid and more workers returning to there work place.

With the amount of strikes / staff shortages , leafs on the track and all the other rubbish I’m surprised people use the train at all , so inconsistent and hit and miss , such a shame as it’s the best way to travel ( albeit a tad pricey ) if everything is running properly 

On 15/12/2023 at 10:46, phantom said:

More footfall keeps the station open/viable.

Enough of our local stations have been closed over the years, although some now reopening (hopefully).

I sometimes use the train from Keynsham to TM and always get the ticket to Parson St. 

Edited by bcfc01

2 hours ago, Clevedon Red said:

Bristol trains: Possibility of new stations to be explored

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-68080364

**** Lockleaze the North of the city already has loads of stations.

If an elected politician could realise South Bristol exists that would make a change.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Clevedon Red said:

A BBC article akin to "Bristol underground system to be explored".

Once again this is all nonsense isn't it. Just look at the chaotic approach to the Portishead new train line.

They get a quote, delay, delay, delay; then say costs have risen so much, that it's no longer affordable.

• Like 1

• Admin
On 24/01/2024 at 21:24, TonyTonyTony said:

@Monkeh is anything happening now with the Portishead line? Ive heard a new business case has to be approved.

Apologies for tagging you, but you seem to be involved in some way.

An update on Portishead station, also some pictures of the station

24/P/0474/DCW | Application to discharge Requirement 4 (submission and approval of detail design), 11 (surface and foul water drainage) and 26 (Portishead Station and Portbury Ditch) for Stage 1 of Work No.5 of the Portishead Branch Line (MetroWest Phase 1) Order 2022 | Portishead Branch Line, Between Portishead in North Somerset and Ashton Junction, Bristol (n-somerset.gov.uk)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 24/01/2024 at 21:24, TonyTonyTony said:

@Monkeh is anything happening now with the Portishead line? Ive heard a new business case has to be approved.

Apologies for tagging you, but you seem to be involved in some way.

We are still working, nothing was ever going to happen until cp7 which starts in April, its one of the projects that hasn't been cut so I'm expecting it all to start soon

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

We are still working, nothing was ever going to happen until cp7 which starts in April, its one of the projects that hasn't been cut so I'm expecting it all to start soon

I got a bit confused, as there was a flurry of activity marking drains in different colours around the current roundabout - that was ages ago. All the colours washed off now !

On 24/01/2024 at 17:49, Clevedon Red said:

I was party to a conversation with the largest medical insurance company in the US last week who I’m told are in advanced stages for building a large office site near Long Ashton. This company already has a large presence in Bristol and money is no object to get the development they require - I dont want to name the company but part of their development is to have their own rail line & station/platform by the site. This will have a rail link to Bristol Airport also. 

obviously funding will not be an issue for this company but it will be interesting to see how planners receive this in the planning stages, how many dog walkers are against it and where AG and the whole expansion of the area is integrated with so much private investment 

I wonder if this US company fancy buying a football club as well 😂

The office development is planned for completion by 2028/29 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, INCRED said:

I was party to a conversation with the largest medical insurance company in the US last week who I’m told are in advanced stages for building a large office site near Long Ashton. This company already has a large presence in Bristol and money is no object to get the development they require - I dont want to name the company but part of their development is to have their own rail line & station/platform by the site. This will have a rail link to Bristol Airport also. 

obviously funding will not be an issue for this company but it will be interesting to see how planners receive this in the planning stages, how many dog walkers are against it and where AG and the whole expansion of the area is integrated with so much private investment 

This is Bristol. It won't happen

• Like 2

4 hours ago, INCRED said:

This is probably the development that will sit adjacent to the South Bristol Link Road/Long Ashton Bypass. I think the plans are available on the North Somerset Council website. If I can find a posted notice with the planning refs available tomorrow I will add it.

On 24/01/2024 at 20:10, GrahamC said:

**** Lockleaze the North of the city already has loads of stations.

If an elected politician could realise South Bristol exists that would make a change.

Why not Lockleaze; could Horfield (closed same time time as Ashley Hill),  not be reopened?

18 hours ago, INCRED said:

So, they obviously see big profits for private medical insurance in future here then. Wonder who they've been lobbying in parliament :laugh:.

13 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

So, they obviously see big profits for private medical insurance in future here then. Wonder who they've been lobbying in parliament :laugh:.

Blair probably has a major shareholding!