IGNORED

Bristol Acid Attack

Mike Hunt-Hertz

1 hour ago, RedM said:

Surprised she didn’t get manslaughter though, it was pre meditated to such an extent it was ridiculous. 

i was hoping for that myself but technically she didn't kill him he chose to end his own life, the law is an ass sometimes 

Was a real leap of legal faith to attempt to try someone for murder when the victim clearly died at the hands of doctors in a euthanasia clinic about a year after the event.  :blink:

How this case ends up may well form the pattern for more like it. After all, it's cause and effect taken to extremes - and how can the law define such?

9 hours ago, Erithacus said:

Was a real leap of legal faith to attempt to try someone for murder when the victim clearly died at the hands of doctors in a euthanasia clinic about a year after the event.  :blink:

How this case ends up may well form the pattern for more like it. After all, it's cause and effect taken to extremes - and how can the law define such?

As much as I don’t want to, I agree wholly. It was a really ‘brave’ decision by the CPS to run a murder trial when the offence doesn’t meet the definition. 

Still, I hope she rots. 

On 19/05/2018 at 06:42, Fordy62 said:

As much as I don’t want to, I agree wholly. It was a really ‘brave’ decision by the CPS to run a murder trial when the offence doesn’t meet the definition. 

Still, I hope she rots. 

well said

1 hour ago, Super said:

So i'm guessing here that she will be out within 15 years?

would be my guess too unless her personality gets the better of her and she ends up never leaving prison she seems the type by what the evidence has suggested in this case,

I hope she ether rots in prison or gets what she deserves 

1 hour ago, Monkeh said:

you need to partition the government to change that 

'partition' … as in divide and conquer? … :fingerscrossed:  (know what you meant, but that's not a bad idea actually! :) 

Petition that 'life' should mean 'life' .. absolutely.

While we're at it what's all this 50% of sentences discount for good behaviour all about?...

How about serve the full sentence handed down on the assumption and expectation of good behaviour, increasing time to be served as a penalty beyond the original term if the prisoner misbehaves? ….

Petition for that too. (probably too 'draconian' for our liberal pc world though eh?)   

1 hour ago, WhistleHappy said:

'partition' … as in divide and conquer? … :fingerscrossed:  (know what you meant, but that's not a bad idea actually! :) 

Petition that 'life' should mean 'life' .. absolutely.

While we're at it what's all this 50% of sentences discount for good behaviour all about?...

How about serve the full sentence handed down on the assumption and expectation of good behaviour, increasing time to be served as a penalty beyond the original term if the prisoner misbehaves? ….

Petition for that too. (probably too 'draconian' for our liberal pc world though eh?)   

50% if you plead guilty too isn`t it? Time off for saving the government money.

So, 12 years it is then. 

Its worth noting that it’s life to serve 12 and not just 12 years. 

12 years inside is the equivalent of a 24 year sentence. 

Which is at the upper end of the scale. As it rightly should be. 

Evil scum. There’s no place for her on earth. 

41 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

So, 12 years it is then. 

*12 years inside is the equivalent of a 24 year sentence. 

**Evil scum. There’s no place for her on earth. 

* the bit that makes British 'justice' and the law an ass.  Why the automatic 50% 'discount' ? 

Name a tariff and that's what it should be, (unless they're naughty on the inside, in which case there would be an incremental increase dependant on severity and frequency of rule breaking) . If the judgement is for two years, five years, ten years etc that's the length of time that should be done ..  Total bullshit that the system calls 3years banged up a 6year sentence.

** Absolutely agree.  Sadly you'll know, more than most, how many other monsters are out there among us. 

1 hour ago, Fordy62 said:

So, 12 years it is then. 

Now im confused.

Needs a huge sentence to create precedent and set an example. Sometimes, being dead is being better than being alive, and that is exactly what happened to this poor guy. The effect on his family (especially his father) has been horrifying too. She seemed completely uncaring about what she had inflicted and the high profile nature of the case (and the increased publicity of acid attacks in general) have only shown the public how effective a tactic it is for inflicting pain and suffering. A bullet, or even a kitchen knife, would have been more humane. Send her down for natural life and show people that the judicial system will treat attacks like this on a par with murder.

5 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

So, 12 years it is then. 

Hi Fordy,

If I understand correctly, you are Police rather than Judiciary; so on the front line as it were, rather than applying your 'wisdom' after the 'Boys in Blue' have done their hard work.

I understand perfectly the principle of 'Life, with a minimum of 12 years' as opposed to 12 years, i.e. 6 years in reality, but I wonder whether you, or even perhaps @JulieH if she is able, might be able to explain the rationale behind the idea as to why the ultimate length of a sentence might be reduced for good behaviour.

It seems to me that 2 years means, in effect, 12 months if you behave yourself when inside, i.e. half the original sentence (or even 25% if you are a Lib Dem MP, e.g. Chris Huhne - can anyone explain that one?), whereas surely, if we want to deter criminals from offending (and risk being imprisoned), the thinking should be along the lines that ' two years means two years and we assume you will behave yourself in prison, but, should you not conform to our rules, your two year sentence will be increased and/or your privileges will be reduced/withdrawn'.     

IMO She deserves to never see daylight again, some small number of people really are beyond any kind of redemption and someone that would do that to another human being is in that category for me.  At least with a life sentence there is no automatic early release on license and there will have to be an actual decision taken.

On the general question of why the UK splits almost all sentences into half in custody half on license, the answer is money.  Running prisons costs a fortune and achieves very, very little by way of rehabilitation or deterrent - their only purpose really is public safety which isn't to be sniffed at but it is a very expensive way of achieving it. 

In the USA they deal with the cost by making prisons basically privately run slave industries, but we've not quite gone far right enough for that yet.  We tend to give the politicians' friends money directly out of the public purse instead.

6 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Hi Fordy,

If I understand correctly, you are Police rather than Judiciary; so on the front line as it were, rather than applying your 'wisdom' after the 'Boys in Blue' have done their hard work.

I understand perfectly the principle of 'Life, with a minimum of 12 years' as opposed to 12 years, i.e. 6 years in reality, but I wonder whether you, or even perhaps @JulieH if she is able, might be able to explain the rationale behind the idea as to why the ultimate length of a sentence might be reduced for good behaviour.

It seems to me that 2 years means, in effect, 12 months if you behave yourself when inside, i.e. half the original sentence (or even 25% if you are a Lib Dem MP, e.g. Chris Huhne - can anyone explain that one?), whereas surely, if we want to deter criminals from offending (and risk being imprisoned), the thinking should be along the lines that ' two years means two years and we assume you will behave yourself in prison, but, should you not conform to our rules, your two year sentence will be increased and/or your privileges will be reduced/withdrawn'.     

Hi Phil,

Its always been like that mate. As ridiculous as it sounds serving the second half on license - or ‘under the wing of probation’ is designed to rehabilitate and save money. To keep someone in prison costs in the region of 40k a year. Please note, I don’t agree with any of it and don’t get me started on how easy life is for them in there... TV’s, access to drugs and the prison service don’t seem to give a shit - search for the recent footage from inside HMP Birmingham if you really want to make your blood boil. 

Also, to enrage you further, get rid of the good behaviour thing from your head. It’s a myth. You’re released half way through your sentence whatever. If you’re badly behaved the prison can extend your stay by a maximum of 28 days. There’s no good behaviour release at all. 

It’s all shit mate I’m afraid. 

On 24/05/2018 at 00:33, PHILINFRANCE said:

Hi Fordy,

As answered by fordy it is a weird system where basically as soon as a sentence is given , except in the most serious cases, it is often even quoted by the judge that they will serve half inside and the rest either out on a electronic tag or a licence with conditions monitored by probation .

i don’t fully understand why to be honest but I personally know a few people who struggled in prison with rules and discipline and the slightest infringement does then mean the full sentence has to be served.

judges can stipulate a minimum term to be served as well, but again not sure why or if that was done in the acid case. 

My personal view having spoken to a lot of persons who go to prison is that anything over a week is hell, away from family and friends, dictated when u can eat and sleep, and also having a lot of spare time to think about the reasons why they are there in the first place is not a pleasant experience so I am told . 

I also hold the view that a small minority of people are unable to change no matter how long they spend inside !! 

On 24/05/2018 at 07:35, Fordy62 said:

Hi Phil,

Its always been like that mate. As ridiculous as it sounds serving the second half on license - or ‘under the wing of probation’ is designed to rehabilitate and save money. To keep someone in prison costs in the region of 40k a year. Please note, I don’t agree with any of it and don’t get me started on how easy life is for them in there... TV’s, access to drugs and the prison service don’t seem to give a shit - search for the recent footage from inside HMP Birmingham if you really want to make your blood boil. 

Also, to enrage you further, get rid of the good behaviour thing from your head. It’s a myth. You’re released half way through your sentence whatever. If you’re badly behaved the prison can extend your stay by a maximum of 28 days. There’s no good behaviour release at all. 

It’s all shit mate I’m afraid. 

5 hours ago, JulieH said:

As answered by fordy it is a weird system where basically as soon as a sentence is given , except in the most serious cases, it is often even quoted by the judge that they will serve half inside and the rest either out on a electronic tag or a licence with conditions monitored by probation .

i don’t fully understand why to be honest but I personally know a few people who struggled in prison with rules and discipline and the slightest infringement does then mean the full sentence has to be served.

judges can stipulate a minimum term to be served as well, but again not sure why or if that was done in the acid case. 

My personal view having spoken to a lot of persons who go to prison is that anything over a week is hell, away from family and friends, dictated when u can eat and sleep, and also having a lot of spare time to think about the reasons why they are there in the first place is not a pleasant experience so I am told . 

I also hold the view that a small minority of people are unable to change no matter how long they spend inside !! 

Thanks @Fordy62 and @JulieH for your replies and, as you might well imagine, I find them quite depressing.

I no longer live in the UK, but still consider myself British and, of course, follow the UK legal system.

I shall consider your responses and reply in more detail in the next few days, but, for your information, consider how things work (sometimes) in France.

Imagine: a drunken brawl on a Saturday night, following which several 'alleged' perpetrators are arrested.

It is not at all uncommon for them to be held in a cell to 'dry out'; to appear in Court on Monday, tried and, if guilty, to be sentenced immediately - imprisoned if necessary.

Just imagine: forget being bailed to reappear in a few months time (if you have not skipped bail and fled the country) to be tried. Immediate justice.

I really feel for you: running around, hands tied behind your back and, if and when you finally apprehend your suspect, seeing them receiving the proverbial slap on the wrist (which. of course, you are not even allowed to deliver yourself!). 

Archived