IGNORED

Matchday thread; Harry vs Meghan

myol'man

6 minutes ago, Super said:

Yep the one that looks a bit like James Hewitt....

Yes, just 48 hours before the window slams shut Palace have swooped to bring in the experienced Hewitt to cover for their injury crisis which ruled out The veteran Tom Markle.  Hewitt is expected to take Markles place up front alongside Megan.

A Palace spokesman said last night Hewitt's a great signing for us, he's scored Many times at the Palace, during his previous time here although his contribution often went unnoticed,  He  was known for  being good in the box, had great stamina,  and we remember in one of his last games a terrific shot that even caught out his strike partner, although as time has passed many fans now realise  how significant that away performance  was.  

• Admin
1 hour ago, Sir Colby-Tit said:

I watched Suits, and either Meghan has been surgically enhanced, or that's photoshopped! 

@Sir Colby-Tit On the American version of "Deal or no deal" they used to have women open the cases to reveal what the "amount" of money being lost was (unlike the UK where  other contestants had the boxes)

She was one of the bits of fluff that used to do this - just looks like a padded bra to me

Image result for meghan markle deal or no deal

Support: Several of Meghan's former co-stars have spoken out about their happiness at the news of her relationship in recent months

If we didn't have a royal family we'd have a president-you think Pres Blair or whoever would cost any less? Plus the loss in tourism. Plus it doesn't matter who lives in Buckingham Palace, it would still have to be repaired like the Houses of Parliament 

Btw apart from the Queen I'm no great admirer of the Royal family 

3 hours ago, hodge said:

While generating £500m in tourism for the wedding alone. I don't really care about the wedding but seeing the amount of people complaining about cost while ignoring the economic benefits is pretty facepalm inducing. 

Exactly this.

I’m no royalist but this is effectively a global advert for our country. Our history and heritage - of which the royal family is a part - is one of the main reasons this country is such a popular tourist destination and a significant part of our economy. The occasional royal wedding is a useful reminder to the rest of the world and keeps people coming here.

Completely understand anti-Royal sentiments in a country with food banks, but £22m bill for the taxpayer is a tiny drop in the ocean - I read somewhere it amounts to about 10p each. The benefits massively outweigh the costs.

Royal family costs and finances etc....  Love 'em or Hate 'em.... I'm inclined to believe whatever the outgoing costs to the tax payer that the income generated by tourism, merchandise etc for the UK economy (not to forget the PR prestige around the World..) they're possibly one of the only things left of a once Great Britain for the rest of the World to still admire and respect us for... more than covers the outlay. 

Think of them as stock, merchandise if you like, the shop keeper must pay for the products before selling them on for a profit... Or as entertainment goes, imagine the costs of financing a Rolling Stones tour, huge! but the sales that tour generates is massively bigger, a top footballer costs a bloody obscene amount of money but bums on seats ticket sales, shirts, image rights etc etc offsets the cost... It's hard to quantify the value of UK goodwill and PR the Royals provide but purely in monetary trade revenue I'm pretty sure they offer value for money and the overall balance sheet is 'in the black'

Only source I can go by regarding this weekends Royal Wedding is a TV news item a couple of days ago where the value of mementos/souvenirs like plates, teatowels, pictures etc etc tat and trinkets related to the wedding is likely to top a Billion £££'s in trade... that alone easily covers the tens of Millions the wedding will cost... Looks like a bargain punt by the taxpayers to me.

PS.. I'm not a Royal family flag waver of Establishment fan by any means, but given a choice of Obama, Trump etc as 'head of state' and value for money, I know what appeals to me the most.... just annoys me when people always want to moan about (admittedly expensive opulence of Royal events) the costs involved etc they almost always omit the other side of the profits/loss accounts..  Tis a pity the Government cant see its way clear to divert some of the profits towards some of the urgent social needs at the lower end of the scale, or to sensible projects like the Portishead rail link etc.. That'll never happen though they'll always find a way to waste the profits sadly.  While were at it, lets gave another money spinning Royal event -we could do with some cash to repair our UK third world pot holed roads!!

Basically just wanted to say that despite the extravagances of the Royal Wedding, don't worry, it'll more than pay for itself.

Now then whats the weather forecast for tomorrow? think I'll go fishing of something to get away from the inevitable wall to wall TV wankfest of the days events.. 

@hodge  .. @ChippenhamRed  et al ... :thumbsup:

• Admin
3 minutes ago, Sir Colby-Tit said:

I don't think tourism revenue can ever justify the Royal Family. 

The whole concept of a human being being in a position of power over others purely down to bloodlines is fundamentally wrong and has no place in modern society, IMO 

I guess it could be worse - it could come down to being the biggest tyrant or having the biggest army?

Anyway apologies, this isn't the thread for political debate

The old 'tourism' myth again! The French get more tourism than us and people go to chateaus in their droves despite the lack of royals. Don't believe the hype!

If we removed the royal family, we would NOT lose tourism revenue. In fact we could open more of the palace and castle to the public.

3 minutes ago, Sir Colby-Tit said:

I don't think tourism revenue can ever justify the Royal Family. 

The whole concept of a human being being in a position of power over others purely down to bloodlines is fundamentally wrong and has no place in modern society, IMO 

Politicians, like, Blair, Cameron, May, Bush, Obama, Trump etc are the ones with power over our lives nowadays, don't think the Royal Family have beheaded anyone or locked anybody in the Tower for several months now, reckon they've gone soft! :facepalm:

Archived