IGNORED

Joe Bryan - Signed for Fulham CONFIRMED

Whites

5 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

But that was not the point.

Your Son (I think) was involved in a highly competitive sport. To do as he did requires a certain skill set. To be a football player? Statistically its a exceptionally hard profession to excel to a degree high enough to become a professional. The skill set is exceptional. The demands are clearly different which is why only a miniscule few become football pros.

The comparison lacks meaning.

No they work hard to get signed then it easy street from then onwards 

look at Tomlin 

20 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Do you have a portait of you in your attic Mr Gray ? 

Hideous likeness and looking  worse by the minute. Think I'll stock with the mirror.

1 hour ago, Maggersno1Fan said:

They play 90 minutes a week

a brickie, Nurse, soldier do 40+ hours on shit wage.

Players need to man up 

Yeah, it's only 90 minutes a week....if you choose to forget midweek games and training every day. 

1 minute ago, Maggersno1Fan said:

How many midweek games?

Training for what a few hours?

Yeah boo hoo 

money there on they take it for granted 

Doesn't matter how many midweek games or how long they train. You said they only do 90 minutes per week which is utter bollocks.

3 hours ago, Cowshed said:

Many will be aware of your narrow opinion of Joe Bryan. You once implied /inferred he cannot shoot. 

If we want to look at unbiased ratings   http://www.squawka.com/players/joe-bryan/stats#performance-score#bristol-city-(current)#english-football-league---championship#10#season-2017/2018#829#all-matches#1-44#by-match

That rating is very high.

No player hits 9/10 every week. Contribution, key passes from creative players can be fortnightly, monthly … The teams slump in form cannot be attributed to one player. 

My opinion is my opinion. Doesn’t mean it’s a narrow opinion. I could say the same about others who think the opposite to me. Anyway. 

I never inferred that he couldn’t shoot. The comment I made was in response to another poster who said “he’s renowned for his shooting”. I disagreed, that this was not what he was “renowned” for. Bear in mind though, that this was before he’d hit those great strikes vs Palace and Man U in the cup. 

I don’t pay any attention to those opta-inspired ratings websites - they can tell you any story you want to narrate. I go with my own eyes, and they have always told me that he’s not a left back, is tactically/positionally weak in that area, doesn’t sense danger, is slow to react and doesn’t bust a gut to recover his position. 

I’ve said it from day one of him playing there vs Watford back about 5 years ago and he’s not improved in those areas. 

3 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

For a player rated as one of the better in the Championship - (Whether he’s as good as the hype suggests is a fairer debate)

‘Not very good ‘

merely exposes a personal agenda Harry And is nonsense and almost laughable

IMHO

God knows what you think most who’ve pulled on the shirt in recent years if you rate Bryan as ‘Not very good’

Who do you rate as the best three players on our books out of interest 

Nah, nowt personal Bob. I just don’t rate him at all as a left back and I honestly can’t see what people are raving about with him. See my comments above regarding his limitations (in my opinion). Those are the things I see from him in EVERY game he plays at LB. I think a lot of people are blinkered by his occasional goal or his occasional ‘gliding’ run forward or his occasional sliding tackle (mostly made cuz he was out of position and had to make it to recover). 

So not personal bud, just don’t rate him. 

3 minutes ago, Harry said:

My opinion is my opinion. Doesn’t mean it’s a narrow opinion. I could say the same about others who think the opposite to me. Anyway. 

I never inferred that he couldn’t shoot. The comment I made was in response to another poster who said “he’s renowned for his shooting”. I disagreed, that this was not what he was “renowned” for. Bear in mind though, that this was before he’d hit those great strikes vs Palace and Man U in the cup. 

I don’t pay any attention to those opta-inspired ratings websites - they can tell you any story you want to narrate. I go with my own eyes, and they have always told me that he’s not a left back, is tactically/positionally weak in that area, doesn’t sense danger, is slow to react and doesn’t bust a gut to recover his position. 

I’ve said it from day one of him playing there vs Watford back about 5 years ago and he’s not improved in those areas. 

Nah, nowt personal Bob. I just don’t rate him at all as a left back and I honestly can’t see what people are raving about with him. See my comments above regarding his limitations (in my opinion). Those are the things I see from him in EVERY game he plays at LB. I think a lot of people are blinkered by his occasional goal or his occasional ‘gliding’ run forward or his occasional sliding tackle (mostly made cuz he was out of position and had to make it to recover). 

So not personal bud, just don’t rate him. 

The beauty of football, Forums and debate.  None of us will agree all of the time, etc etc.

1 hour ago, Harry said:

Your view is narrow because you simply criticise without attempting to provide alternatives for why despite your knowledge Bristol City Managers keep including him, and he gains so much praise.

No stats sites can tell us a lot about a players contributions, which is why so many use them to support what they see and may not appreciate. We all can suffer from confirmation bias. You judge Bryan as a defender where I see him as a modern full back playing the full length of the pitch making telling contributions that contribution is evident in his very high stats. Stats do tell unequivocal stories if you want them to.

Joe Bryan had hit great strikes before Man Utd and Palace. That was the argument (I think). He strikes a great ball and his later bangers come as no surprise

4 hours ago, Maggersno1Fan said:

No they work hard to get signed then it easy street from then onwards 

look at Tomlin 

We have been watching football for similar time scales. For as long as I remember people have been trotting out similar arguments. Its quite a lazy argument in itself because you and I have never had the aptitude to become a professional football player. Look at Tomlin, or look at Gerry Gow or Bobby Reid is not a parallel physically or mentally to working as a Nurse. Its a bit of a silly proposition. 

On ‎07‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 18:00, cidered abroad said:

If, and I have nil ITK, if a clique has developed among the longer serving members of the playing staff, the earlier it is broken up, the better it will be in the longer term. It happens in every type of job where those who've been around a while, are often wary of newcomers and keep them at a distance. 

As I said, I'm not ITK, have never met any of our current playing staff personally. But after my long career as a City fan, when we have two consecutive seasons with such long spells of very poor results compared with the other portion of each season, there is something that isn't right. 

If a clique is there, it could simply be frustration at the apparent lack of club ambition and that would be understandable. Just as many fans are/were. 

The solution is to either remove the clique or resolve their reasons. Which way will this summer go? Do we lose the heart of our team and begin yet another rebuild or add better quality to the squad? 

Always cliques at clubs. Heres the thing though they do not have to be bad. They can be these leaders LJ talks about not having. They are the examples in training and on thre pitch of how he wants things to go.

10 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

Cor that was a vicious tidy up from the mods. Got rid of all the interesting stuff!

Not their finest moment for several posters, bit of an off day which we all have ( including a few memorable melt downs by mods. themselves!)

Apologies have been given by both sides so hopefully quickly forgotten and a clean slate.

• Admin
3 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Not their finest moment for several posters, bit of an off day which we all have ( including a few memorable melt downs by mods. themselves!)

Apologies have been given by both sides so hopefully quickly forgotten and a clean slate.

All hidden now 

So did we establish if JB was on his way or not?

20 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Dead funny though!

Move on to more inane chatter about Bryan potentially leaving.

3 hours ago, phantom said:

All hidden now 

So did we establish if JB was on his way or not?

My take on the last 12 hours of posts was that Joe is on his way  to Australia to start a Kangaroo farm and for the better lifestyle. He is not going to marry and as a result will be able to afford to pay off his mortgage before he is 29 and can retire at 41 and three quarters.

I might have got a bit confused though!

40 minutes ago, red panda said:

Gutted they've actually deleted it, rather than copying it to its rightful place in OTIB classics.

I will boo.

BOOOOOOO

Was thinking the same  while following it unfold yesterday.

Possibly the most dramatic example of a thread going off on a tangent.

Moving abroad, paying off a mortgage early and solid pension provision enabling early retirement - I'm wondering if either protagonist  is really Steve Lansdown coming on here to impart financial planning advice!

Archived