IGNORED

Joe Bryan - Signed for Fulham CONFIRMED

Whites

33 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Is this a group post Monkey?  :)

well it was along the lines of another poster who was trying to pin the blame on our bad run after xmas to frank fielding and his red card against wolves

Joe Bryan has enormous good will because he is a local lad, goes that extra mile with his off the field community activities and is a likeable and slightly quirky character. 

If he is thinking ahead then there will be a load of career opportunities for him after finishing playing especially in the Bristol area.  He might get some extra cash by running down his contract but that will strike out that good will.  Aside from the non-monetary 'reputation' value I think leaving City with good will intact would be better in the long-term financially for him.  Hopefully he will do the right thing.

38 minutes ago, bcfcnick said:

Joe Bryan has enormous good will because he is a local lad, goes that extra mile with his off the field community activities and is a likeable and slightly quirky character. 

If he is thinking ahead then there will be a load of career opportunities for him after finishing playing especially in the Bristol area.  He might get some extra cash by running down his contract but that will strike out that good will.  Aside from the non-monetary 'reputation' value I think leaving City with good will intact would be better in the long-term financially for him.  Hopefully he will do the right thing.

didn't harm Carey's reputation when he ran his contract down and left on a free 

2 hours ago, chipdawg said:

I've suggested that the burn out/mental fatigue following the cup run was a real thing before and been shot down, but I genuinely believe it to be a factor in our poor form after Christmas (note: factor, not sole cause). Imagine you're getting interviewed by the BBC, everyone's talking about you and you're about to play a cup semi at the home ground of the Premier League champions elect and then all of a sudden you're back to playing away at Burton on Tuesday night and nobody gives a shit any more. Footballers are not complex creatures, most of them are not that bright and that is going to have an effect on their mentality. Before you know it, you've lost 4 or 5 games on the bounce, you've slipped off the play off pace just when rivals are ramping it up and it's hard to react. Especially for someone like Joe Bryan who'd kinda 'announced' himself on the national stage against ManUre. I don't think that was the only thing going on at that point, but to say it didn't play a major part is just denying the facts

I think you are very close to the truth, even on a very low level of sporting activity, a regional 5 a-side tournament, I remember we turned up late, played all our group games and the quarter and semi finals almost back to back and didn't feel at all tired. It wasn't until we went 2 down in the first 3 minutes of the final game, that I and all my team mates, just basically collapsed from exhaustion. I feel that was what our whole team looked like particularly through January and February. 

Oh and the fact Core321 has rubbished your post just confirms that you are talking sense. :) 

22 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I think you are very close to the truth, even on a very low level of sporting activity, a regional 5 a-side tournament, I remember we turned up late, played all our group games and the quarter and semi finals almost back to back and didn't feel at all tired. It wasn't until we went 2 down in the first 3 minutes of the final game, that I and all my team mates, just basically collapsed from exhaustion. I feel that was what our whole team looked like particularly through January and February. 

Oh and the fact Core321 has rubbished your post just confirms that you are talking sense. :) 

Yeah, I did take a certain amount of validation from that! 

I think it's mental rather than physical, but it's exactly the same thing; they're not robots and it's difficult to react to adversity if you've been riding the crest of a wave for a while

It’s often said that a cup run ruins a teams chances in the league. The mistake people make is thinking that it’s a purely physical problem due to extra games. As in many other sporting and non-sporting professions it can be a reaction following a great success. It is the added mental pressure success brings, the massive emotional high often followed by feeling drained and low. 

Its exactly why teams that win titles often find it difficult to replicate success the following season. Most seasons build to a climax gradually but our outstanding success and levels of national media interest pre-Christmas I believe emotionally drained players who were probably surprised themselves by their lack of momentum post Christmas.

The massive adrenaline rush that they had experienced inevitably took its toll. 

Were the same circumstances to prevail this season then those players, I am sure,  will be better prepared for what comes after.

Can't remember who said it, but JB having a bust up with LJ in January goes along the same lines as something I was told. For the life of me I can't remember whether it was a bust up or JB simply being up front and honest and saying he wanted out

Also heard that Reid effectively resigned at half time against Brentford. Which was roughly 44 minutes after the rest of them that day

1 minute ago, Monkeh said:

to clarify I mean players who turned down a contract offer with us to sign for someone else on a free, not a player we've released

Yeah you’re right it’s an important distinction, I mean Carey semi retired after his contract was up and moved on but not on a bosman.

2 minutes ago, Redcliffe1990 said:

Yeah you’re right it’s an important distinction, I mean Carey semi retired after his contract was up and moved on but not on a bosman.

you forgot the part when he left on a bosman and signed for coventry

Just now, Port Said Red said:

It was Micky wasn't it? 

sold him to west ham for 1.5 million

28 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

Can't remember who said it, but JB having a bust up with LJ in January goes along the same lines as something I was told. For the life of me I can't remember whether it was a bust up or JB simply being up front and honest and saying he wanted out

Also heard that Reid effectively resigned at half time against Brentford. Which was roughly 44 minutes after the rest of them that day

Would make sense. Never seen such a one sided game away performance at our place!

Swansea a few years ago comes close.

1 minute ago, Lew-T said:

Would make sense. Never seen such a one sided game away performance at our place!

It will always bug me that Brentford, and that pathetic performance, was the last time I saw Flint in a City shirt. It was almost a relief when they scored and put us all out of our misery

4 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Brentford games in general we get out fought and out played home and away since we've been back in the championship

3 hours ago, Monkeh said:

well it was along the lines of another poster who was trying to pin the blame on our bad run after xmas to frank fielding and his red card against wolves

Not blaming FF, but as others have suggested I do think the Wolves game was pivotal to our season and what happened after Christmas.

Ive referred before to a post from Michael McIndoe early this year. In it, he commented that our pressing game put a lot of strain - physical and mental - on the players. He referred to our injury list back then, and the pressure it put on other players with LJ  not being so able to rotate the squad, and he went on to say that when a team is winning and things are going well, players don't notice niggles, injuries and tiredness, they just want to train and play and can't wait for the next game.

The Wolves game started as a continuation of previous games and we deserved our lead. FF's sending off affected the game but the manner of the defeat, with a last kick winning goal for Wolves looks ( with hindsight) to have knocked the stuffing out of the players, both physically and mentally - the exact opposite of the effect on the players of being on the previous winning run. All the adrenaline that had been carrying them through games previously seems to have drained out of them and this was emphasised when we were drubbed 5-0 at Villa in our next game.

We never seemed to regained the belief that had carried the team on the cup run and to second in the table, other than briefly in the 2 games against Man City. 

2 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Not blaming FF, but as others have suggested I do think the Wolves game was pivotal to our season and what happened after Christmas.

Ive referred before to a post from Michael McIndoe early this year. In it, he commented that our pressing game put a lot of strain - physical and mental - on the players. He referred to our injury list back then, and the pressure it put on other players with LJ  not being so able to rotate the squad, and he went on to say that when a team is winning and things are going well, players don't notice niggles, injuries and tiredness, they just want to train and play and can't wait for the next game.

The Wolves game started as a continuation of previous games and we deserved our lead. FF's sending off affected the game but the manner of the defeat, with a last kick winning goal for Wolves looks ( with hindsight) to have knocked the stuffing out of the players, both physically and mentally - the exact opposite of the effect on the players of being on the previous winning run. All the adrenaline that had been carrying them through games previously seems to have drained out of them and this was emphasised when we were drubbed 5-0 at Villa in our next game.

We never seemed to regained the belief that had carried the team on the cup run and to second in the table, other than briefly in the 2 games against Man City. 

Definitely the wolves game for me . Even though it was a fantastic game of football. IMO it had a huge affect on the squad 

3 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Don't think we get out fought. They always outnumber us in midfeld which means we can't get the ball or keep the ball.

Brentford have always been a pain in the ass . I’m sure it was Brentford when super Bobby Taylor got sent off. For an apparent elbow. Wasn’t even a yellow in today’s game. Sure it was Brentford 

14 minutes ago, downendcity said:

can't disagree with that at all,

Archived