IGNORED

Joe Bryan - Signed for Fulham CONFIRMED

Whites

6 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

It's just a hypothetical on a forum, I think you're reading too much.. the point being made is that if he wasn't a footballer, he doesn't' seem the type to be a typical fan.

No. You can read all sorts on Otib. In Joes Bryans case Conference player, mentally weak/can't be arsed, can't shoot, can't cross, can't defend, doesn't love the game enough … And this thread appears to be a pop at his intelligence.

Intelligent people love football, as do some rather challenged ones …  

Just now, Cowshed said:

No. You can read all sorts on Otib. In Joes Bryans case Conference player, mentally weak/can't be arsed, can't shoot, can't cross, can't defend, doesn't love the game enough … And this thread appears to be a pop at his intelligence.

It just seems to be someone's opinion that Bryan doesn't strike him as someone who'd regularly attend football if he wasn't a footballer. Nothing more to it than that, I think you're blowing it out of proportion and finding things that just aren't there.

12 minutes ago, devoncider said:

It is possible to fall out of love with the game - as some pros do, but continue to do it as a job. I am not saying this is the case with Joe, I can't claim to know him at all, but to say all footballers have a deep seated love of the game is simplified imo.

The owner of a model railway shop, once said to me that when your hobby becomes your job, it ceases to be fun anymore. 

Six an seven year old love playing football and other sports. But after two decades if coaches, parents and fans screaming at you, is one still in love with it? I love know nothing about JB personally. Just an awareness that all jobs become mundane and routine after a while. 

Had one of those random dreams last night

I was in the dentist waiting room with JB and his Mum (she's lovely). They had a screen with Sky Sports News on, and all of a sudden it flashed up on the yellow bar that JB had signed for Derby for a world record fee, think it was £92m. He then went off for a filing, whilst I chatted to his Mum and heard about how proud she was of her little boy. Then his sister showed up and asked why I was complaining about shoulder pain whilst at the dentist and suggested I was in the wrong place. She was right, I was meant to be at the physio instead

Bizarre

I'm not sure what we can read into this, but I have to say the Bryan's are a lovely family

34 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

The owner of a model railway shop, once said to me that when your hobby becomes your job, it ceases to be fun anymore. 

Six an seven year old love playing football and other sports. But after two decades if coaches, parents and fans screaming at you, is one still in love with it? I love know nothing about JB personally. Just an awareness that all jobs become mundane and routine after a while. 

Agreed - I think we are actually close to making the same point. At age 6 we all love kicking a ball about - this love combined with talent gets you into an academy. As it becomes more of a job and less a hobby some may fall out of love with it - others don't.

Neither is right or wrong, just an observation. 

Would also like to point out I am not at all having a pop at Joe for being intelligent and privately educated because at least one of those applies to me too!

anyway - is Joe off or nah?

I heard that Southampton may sell Targett. Sure they still have Bertrand and McQueen, but JB would be a good fit at Soton imo.

A swap deal with McQueen would be good - but I don't feel its likely

There’s plenty of stories, from much higher in the football ranks than little old Bristol City to corroborate the fact that plenty of professional footballers don’t love the game, players who have fallen out of love with it after X many years  

The desire to become a footballer and earn an incredible living does not automatically equate to an unbridled love of the game, likewise what one feels as a young lad does not automatically equate to feeling the same 5, 10, 20 years on.  

Not saying this is the case with Joe at all, but naive to think that just because someone became a professional footballer, they have a deep love for the game. Sure most will do, but definitely not all. 

People seem to have decided that Joe Bryan doesn't love football that much on the basis that he's a consultant surgeons son and middle class people don't love football. I'm middle class and I love football. Some of the most passionate fans I know are incredibly middle class. For what it's worth, I'm pretty sure I've read that Joe Bryan used to go to City matches with his mates as a teenager, can't find an article on it now though

5 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

There’s plenty of stories, from much higher in the football ranks than little old Bristol City to corroborate the fact that plenty of professional footballers don’t love the game, players who have fallen out of love with it after X many years  

The desire to become a footballer and earn an incredible living does not automatically equate to an unbridled love of the game, likewise what one feels as a young lad does not automatically equate to feeling the same 5, 10, 20 years on.  

Not saying this is the case with Joe at all, but naive to think that just because someone became a professional footballer, they have a deep love for the game. Sure most will do, but definitely not all. 

Andy Carroll for one, admits he barely watches the game outside of 'work' and has other interests. Just treats it as a job.

8 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

those who know Joe are saying it simply doesn't apply to him. Lad gets coated off on here left right and centre. 

As the days go by is it more likely he will stay?

Someone mentioned the possibility of a Flint scenario - can see that, signs a new contract once the window has shut with a sell on clause, so we get him until Jan or next summer at the least

This is all getting rather sad, isn’t it?

Bryan is a really good footballer, a role model off the pitch and someone who has done some wonderful stuff with the children’s hospice and helping out that amateur footballer who couldn’t work for a while.

I still suspect he’ll be off before the window closes and if no Prem interest crystallises then possibly to a divisional rival.

If so, good luck to him, he has served us well and if his biggest crimes are to have a “different” sense of humour & a comfortable upbringing, well this is all pretty pathetic stuff..

5 minutes ago, devoncider said:

As the days go by is it more likely he will stay?

Someone mentioned the possibility of a Flint scenario - can see that, signs a new contract once the window has shut with a sell on clause, so we get him until Jan or next summer at the least

Flint wasn't even in the squad last season until his contract was sorted out, will the same apply to JB?

15 minutes ago, chipdawg said:

People seem to have decided that Joe Bryan doesn't love football that much on the basis that he's a consultant surgeons son and middle class people don't love football. I'm middle class and I love football. Some of the most passionate fans I know are incredibly middle class. For what it's worth, I'm pretty sure I've read that Joe Bryan used to go to City matches with his mates as a teenager, can't find an article on it now though

I think there’s an element of truth in that. If his was a ‘rags to riches’ Bobby Reid story rather than from a ‘privileged’ background the debate probably wouldn’t be had  

11 minutes ago, Trueredsupporte said:

those who know Joe are saying it simply doesn't apply to him. Lad gets coated off on here left right and centre. 

I have no idea what being ‘coated off’ is (sounds raunchy though!) but I’ve said repeatedly that I’m not saying for a minute that it is the case with Joe. Just that for whatever reason he doesn’t seem to portray that love of the game through his general demeanour (for example he’s made numerous digs at being criticised by fans on social media). 

None of this takes away from any of the good he does on and off the pitch so no idea why people get immediately on the defensive as if he’s being called out for something unsavoury. 

14 minutes ago, chipdawg said:

3 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Bryan is a really good footballer, a role model off the pitch and someone who has done some wonderful stuff with the children’s hospice and helping out that amateur footballer who couldn’t work for a while.

I still suspect he’ll be off before the window closes and if no Prem interest crystallises then possibly to a divisional rival.

If so, good luck to him, he has served us well and if his biggest crimes are to have a “different” sense of humour & a comfortable upbringing, well this is all pretty pathetic stuff..

If this meant to be me, could someone please point out where I've criticised his upbringing?

FWIW I am a similar age to Joe, with a similar upbringing. I couldn't give a monkeys where you come from I just wondered if he is a City fan. He may well be, I didn't know.

This is all getting rather silly

7 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Yes. Miserly and mean spirited. Some of the guff posted is also ignorant and prejudiced

He also can do some rather wonderful stuff with a football with both feet. It didn't come by accident, 1% talent 99% perspiration while the mean spirited do not even try.

25 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Andy Carroll for one, admits he barely watches the game outside of 'work' and has other interests. Just treats it as a job.

David James was the same, said he had no clue or interest about results of other teams or league positions.

Regarding Joe, didn’t he have a local teams pitch repaired ( no not them!), would he do that if he wasn’t interested in the game. The same goes for the local player who I think he paid for Physio for,  a local football player not any other sport or profession. He also regular goes to see Wes playing football and his mate the rugby player at Northampton. Does he only go to see them at ‘work’ or does he genuinely enjoy and understand the game.

As for the Dr thing, I can’t comment about them but there were certainly Solocitors, lawyers and Police (off duty) on the pitch for the Gas game, all there as fans. Never mind Drs not wanting to see their patients what about facing people you have jailed etc!

43 minutes ago, devoncider said:

Agreed - I think we are actually close to making the same point. At age 6 we all love kicking a ball about - this love combined with talent gets you into an academy. As it becomes more of a job and less a hobby some may fall out of love with it - others don't.

Neither is right or wrong, just an observation. 

Would also like to point out I am not at all having a pop at Joe for being intelligent and privately educated because at least one of those applies to me too!

Same here. My Mum went cleaning at the BAC to send me to BGS. I know that both apply to me.

So which one applies to you? 

1 hour ago, Woodsy said:

Had one of those random dreams last night

I was in the dentist waiting room with JB and his Mum (she's lovely). They had a screen with Sky Sports News on, and all of a sudden it flashed up on the yellow bar that JB had signed for Derby for a world record fee, think it was £92m. He then went off for a filing, whilst I chatted to his Mum and heard about how proud she was of her little boy. Then his sister showed up and asked why I was complaining about shoulder pain whilst at the dentist and suggested I was in the wrong place. She was right, I was meant to be at the physio instead

Bizarre

I'm not sure what we can read into this, but I have to say the Bryan's are a lovely family

Would have been funny if the Dentist had been .....:::::::

....... Here’s ............Bingo !!!

:yes:

(PS Could you get me £20 worth mate - ta

:laughcont:)

39 minutes ago, chipdawg said:

I know my place. I look up to everyone but I don't look up to @chipdawg as much as I look up to @Woodsy because he has got innate breeding.

image.jpeg.4404aeda974a6e38a37443923c602b35.jpeg

18 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

I don't see the problem with a GP bumping into one of his patients at the match ( unless they were highly contagious) 

You’d actually get more chance of a diagnosis at the match than you would at a GO surgery

Edit

Just rung my Doc and asked the q what he does about patients he bumps into at the match 

Apparently they follow normal procedure , don’t listen to what you’re explaining or chatting about (Whilst staring at their phone or tablet) and without a word thrusting a prescription at you for alternatively pain killers or anti-biotics before walking off 

:yes:

1 hour ago, Cowshed said:

he has drive in general to excel in whatever he does, he's that sort of person, if he didn't play football and chose to play cricket he'd be a good up and coming player in county cricket, or if e chose to join a firm as an apprentice he'd quickly move up the ranks because thats just who he is 

47 minutes ago, devoncider said:

If this meant to be me, could someone please point out where I've criticised his upbringing?

FWIW I am a similar age to Joe, with a similar upbringing. I couldn't give a monkeys where you come from I just wondered if he is a City fan. He may well be, I didn't know.

This is all getting rather silly

My comment certainly wasn't meant at anyone specific, just that a number of posters seem to share the opinion that Joe doesn't care that much about football but there is zero evidence for that

Archived