IGNORED

Joe Bryan - Signed for Fulham CONFIRMED

Whites

1 hour ago, devoncider said:

If this meant to be me, could someone please point out where I've criticised his upbringing?

FWIW I am a similar age to Joe, with a similar upbringing. I couldn't give a monkeys where you come from I just wondered if he is a City fan. He may well be, I didn't know.

This is all getting rather silly

You just added more rubbish to what is as pointed out is a pathetic thread.  

1 hour ago, devoncider said:

Agreed - I think we are actually close to making the same point. At age 6 we all love kicking a ball about - this love combined with talent gets you into an academy. As it becomes more of a job and less a hobby some may fall out of love with it - others don't.

Neither is right or wrong, just an observation. 

Would also like to point out I am not at all having a pop at Joe for being intelligent and privately educated because at least one of those applies to me too!

You were privately educated?

38 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

he has drive in general to excel in whatever he does, he's that sort of person, if he didn't play football and chose to play cricket he'd be a good up and coming player in county cricket, or if e chose to join a firm as an apprentice he'd quickly move up the ranks because thats just who he is 

As Joe Bryan was an ex pupil of QEH had numerous opportunities to pursue sport. That he chose football v the schools preferences again highlights his passion (love) for his chosen sport.  

Just now, Cowshed said:

As Joe Bryan was an ex pupil of QEH had numerous opportunities to pursue sport. That he chose football v the schools preferences again highlights his passion (love) for his chosen sport.  

he would of excelled in what ever profession he chose is my point @Cowshed

15 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Im

not knocking him in any way but I recall him saying he wanted to give up the game around 14/15 yrs of age

1 minute ago, Monkeh said:

he would of excelled in what ever profession he chose is my point @Cowshed

It is a hard comparison to make. Many like playing football. Few love it enough to put the hours in to get close to Professional standard. I have a family member in an academy, he has got that far because he is far more driven than the many, and as you go up the pyramid the more driven players are. Its a mindset that is hard to replicate and parallel to normal life because football has physical, psychological, tactical and technical demands on individuals who have to have a very high level of mental toughness to get through it. Those qualities both mental and physical can only be driven and improved upon by desire, passion - Love of doing it. 

15 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Im

not knocking him in any way but I recall him saying he wanted to give up the game around 14/15 yrs of age

I have never read it, but as less than 1% (Micheal Calvin stat) of kids in academies make it to the pro level it says something about Joe Bryans love of football that drove him on ...

8 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

I have never read it, but as less than 1% (Micheal Calvin stat) of kids in academies make it to the pro level it says something about Joe Bryans love of football that drove him on ...

Maybe, but equally that drive could have been down to an early realisation that football was the most lucrative career he was likely to have should he really get his head down and stick at it.

I expect he likes the lifestyle of a pro. footballer - he certainly seemed to be enjoying his exotic holiday a few weeks ago.

Unless we know JB personally ( I don't) it's impossible to say what exactly drove him on, but I too have heard he lost interest at 14/15 - if so no doubt he was given assurances then that he had a considerably better than average chance of 'making it', and it would almost certainly be well worth his while, on more than 1 front, to continue.

That's where his intelligence would have helped him decide to work at it like hell, whether he truly loved the game or not.

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

You’d actually get more chance of a diagnosis at the match than you would at a GO surgery

Edit

Just rung my Doc and asked the q what he does about patients he bumps into at the match 

Apparently they follow normal procedure , don’t listen to what you’re explaining or chatting about (Whilst staring at their phone or tablet) and without a word thrusting a prescription at you for alternatively pain killers or anti-biotics before walking off 

:yes:

What are they for then? I only know prozac

1 minute ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Maybe, but equally that drive could have been down to an early realisation that football was the most lucrative career he was likely to have should he really get his head down and stick at it.

I expect he likes the lifestyle of a pro. footballer - he certainly seemed to be enjoying his exotic holiday a few weeks ago.

Unless we know JB personally ( I don't) it's impossible to say what exactly drove him on, but I too have heard he lost interest at 14/15 - if so no doubt he was given assurances then that he had a considerably better than average chance of 'making it', and it would almost certainly be well worth his while, on more than 1 front, to continue.

That's where his intelligence would have helped him decide to work at it like hell, whether he truly loved the game or not.

Christ mate … That is beyond silly. 

As a  pupil of QEH statistically the least likely lucrative career the lad was likely to have would be football because its one where there is an astronomical failure rate. 

Its very easy to say what drives football players - extrinsic or intrinsic factors, and normally both. These factors are extremely well studied. What you are suggesting would make Joe Bryan exceptional amongst the truly exceptional to decide at 14 -15 to chance football … Players coming through academies away from technical/tactical/physical key qualities have high levels of self concept, motivation, desire driven by loving what they do, without it the mind will not force the physical etc on = The rest being us in comparison do not possess the mental toughness required for that journey because we in general don't love and want it nearly enough.

Probably all too deep for Otib but self belief, the discipline of actions leading to being a pro … It isn't and can't be faked that defies how humans work.  

3 hours ago, Cowshed said:

That’s not totally true he played for the school until he left...He didn’t play rugby but then after y9 you have a choice

23 minutes ago, Three Lions said:

Then was back up the gym at b2a.  

Not sure I get your point, or your 'rubbish' rating of my post.

Did I indicate he didn't deserve a nice holiday after a long season, or that he wouldn't train hard on his return?

8 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Not sure I get your point, or your 'rubbish' rating of my post.

Did I indicate he didn't deserve a nice holiday after a long season, or that he wouldn't train hard on his return?

It was a rubbish post. Hes a footballer because he likes the lifestyle!!  We would all like the life style but there is a reason we don't get it and Bryan being up in training when he doesnt have to be is part of it. 

3 minutes ago, Three Lions said:

It was a rubbish post. Hes a footballer because he likes the lifestyle!!  We would all like the life style but there is a reason we don't get it and Bryan being up in training when he doesnt have to be is part of it. 

Footballers training in off season, aside from standard club pre-season, is nothing phenomenal. Loads of players do similar schemes to Back2Action. Even JET used to use a personal trainer in off-season.

Granted, they don't have to do it, but lots of them do. It's pretty normal now.

47 minutes ago, ashtonphil mk2 said:

That’s not totally true he played for the school until he left...He didn’t play rugby but then after y9 you have a choice

Yes Joe Bryan pursued a choice while being at a school that provides great academic and sporting possibility. Football clearly has always been a driving passion in his life. There are posts in this thread suggesting otherwise. 

20 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Footballers training in off season, aside from standard club pre-season, is nothing phenomenal. Loads of players do similar schemes to Back2Action. Even JET used to use a personal trainer in off-season.

Granted, they don't have to do it, but lots of them do. It's pretty normal now.

In other threads Bobby Reids extra training is used as an example of how he has worked at his game. Loads don't. The motivated do. 

5 minutes ago, Three Lions said:

I didn't say that would be his only reasoning, but as you've chosen to home in on that part of my post as particularly 'rubbish' I'll answer it.

I've no doubt growing up in the Academy, and therefore seeing at close hand the life styles ( and holidays, cars etc.) of the pros. would have some influence on a 14/15 year old.

Even if he didn't love football per se, he was naturally talented and would have been intelligent enough to see it was not only a potentially very lucrative way to make a living, but also a very attractive lifestyle in prospect, and that would be a strong incentive (emphasised strongly by Dad and his coaches, no doubt) for any teenager having temporary doubts about carrying on.

Archived