IGNORED

Joe Bryan - Signed for Fulham CONFIRMED

Whites

4 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Because we were offering him a living from Football and there weren’t a queue of Clubs knocking our door to sign him

He wasn’t doing it out for free , as a charitable gesture or out of deep love for Bristol City

You could easily argue with what he offered for seasons that we stood by him

Do I expect loyalty of any kind

Not a jot

but lets not wrap it up as some sort of fluffy ‘service to our Club ‘ nonsense

Why do you find it so complicated to understand that perhaps after all these years at City he might just have wanted , needed a change ? 

He was presented with a great opportunity to play in the Prem and who can blame him for taking it ? 

19 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Mickey Bell was certainly a cult hero. Clearly a fine player too with strong longevity. "We've got Mickey Bell".

Brennan was quality though, Bryan or Bell? Hard to say. Thinking of it a key difference was Bell played a lot of his games in the division below, so it's hard to judge- plus the game was very different then, even though it's only a decade or 2 apart.

Darren Barnard for me, excellent LB and proved it when Barnsley were in the Prem

7 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Why do you find it so complicated to understand that perhaps after all these years at City he might just have wanted , needed a change ? 

He was presented with a great opportunity to play in the Prem and who can blame him for taking it ? 

He’s gone and each to their own opinion

As I said it’s you trying to dress up his time here as a loyal years of service

Whats so complicated about that

Hes been paid handsomely to play football , sometimes poorly , sometimes well and sometimes excellently

One good season and he certainly has grabbed the opportunity and the publicity

Some sort of Bristol City Legend Or Saint

He ain’t 

40 minutes ago, Badger08 said:

If thats the case then fair enough, I haven't heard him say that (but obviously he has) which makes it a little bit easier to swallow. 

Still doesn't excuse Europe in 5 years though! 

I can corroborate - that's exactly what Lansdown has said, publicly. Ironic then that he's so attached to his Coach - but back on track! - thanks Joe, good luck Lloyd.

11 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I don't see why Kelly would not be ready. Sessegnon started every week when 16 for Fulham. Kelly looks a special talent and a natural at defending. Not sure if Pring would be good enough as back up, although thought he looked superb in preseason, it would be a gamble to not bring another in. Like Reid, it's sad to see Joe go. But I'll be happy with 5 million when we'd lose him for nothing in 12 months. 

I don’t think he’s ready. Sign another LB and if Kelly takes his spot then great. Make Kelly earn it

Thought about it all morning, and was at first thinking that I want us to now spend 2-3 million of this money on a new LB.

I'm now thinking that I'd be happy to rotate Kelly and Pring in the LB role throughout the season, as they both have something about them. They both also deserve the chance to progress at this club like Joe did...

Would rather we re-invested this money on a 3 million pound keeper, and 3 million on another CM. 

15 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I don't see why Kelly would not be ready. Sessegnon started every week when 16 for Fulham. Kelly looks a special talent and a natural at defending. Not sure if Pring would be good enough as back up, although thought he looked superb in preseason, it would be a gamble to not bring another in. Like Reid, it's sad to see Joe go. But I'll be happy with 5 million when we'd lose him for nothing in 12 months. 

Fine young talent, but it's a tough tough league.

Tend to agree with @Jcolebristol make Kelly earn it this season.

I was born in Middlesbrough and grew up in Bristol. My parents now live in Yatton, where they grew up, which is apparently where Joe lives.  Home is home, wherever you are from, but, Lord above, you'd need a big pay rise to move from here to there. And why would Joe, as cultured a man as he is a footballer, want to join Pulis? While I despise Villa, not least because they will probably fail to pay us, there really is only one choice Joe. 

4 minutes ago, Fodbarmyarmy said:

George Friend from boro?

Could be an interesting move with Friend ageing it would see Kelly get a lot of game time but an experienced option if Kelly's not playing well. Especially if we can sign him for a decent amount less than boro/villa will pay us.

Haha I didn’t even know that he had been mentioned on here! You never know though, could be some truth in it. I think he’s been told he’s not in their plans. 

3 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Why don't our best players think Bristol city is a place where their footballing ambitions can be achieved. 

Mate it’s nothing to do with ambition and everything to do with money. 

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Oh Totally agree Tom

Was merely understanding Badgers well structured frustrations

and pointing out that this is the reality with the current plan

We have two major obstructions In signing or retaining the best players

Wages

Sign of Ambition / likelihood for promotion

Putting the wages aside we will only be able to get players to stay when we look to be a real threat for promotion

Anyone wanting ‘loyalty’ from a footballer these days has more chance of marrying a Supermodel

Thats the reality  

Flint , Reid and Bryan have p’d me off to varying degrees 

I still think if we’d got it somewhere close to right in January and gone at least close to promotion we would have had a much better chance of starting this season at least , with Flint , Reid and Bryan 

Weve replaced Flint with Webster who looks promising / decent 

Reid with Weimann whose not bad and at worst will do a job

Lets hope we replace JB (Who in theory should probably be the easiest to replace)

Have we / will we replace the quality with similar or better quality

Only time will reveal for us

My argument for our current set up is for example we have a profit of 15m this summer. Ffp is 3 years so without any more outgoing we have that cushion for the next few seasons perhaps giving us the scope for more wages. Say we take 9m to add to transfer fee budget. We then have 6m over 3 seasons for wages or roughly an extra 40k per week. Every season should get easier for us to afford the larger wages which aren’t getting lesser. It is tough to swallow at times but the right way to go about it imo. Just have to hope the sales lead to better players and ambitions eventually. Think we are on our way as our targets have steadily gotten more ambitious. 

1 hour ago, core321 said:

City would of signed someone already. You assume that MA & LJ know what they are doing.

Its the whole right back thing again.

Very disingenuous to suggest Lee and Mark don't know what they're doing. Have you just buried your head in the sand when it's discussed on here about the process of scouting targets? 

Now whether we sign our number 1 target or not has many variables as to a successful transfer or not. 

For me the sentimental part of losing Flint, Reid and Bryan is the only hard bit to stomach. Flint - real stalwart, Reid and Bryan - academy products and local lads.

But that aside, we've done fantastically to bring in the amount of money we have for 3 players that, when all is said and done, want to play elsewhere  (I for one don't begrudge them one bit the chance to either make more money or play at a higher level). 

Players come and players go and we'll continue to be Bristol City regardless. Overall, a successful window imo, assuming we replace Bryan that is. I'd also like to see Ruddy and Daniel Johnson in.

1 minute ago, JoeAman08 said:

My argument for our current set up is for example we have a profit of 15m this summer. Ffp is 3 years so without any more outgoing we have that cushion for the next few seasons perhaps giving us the scope for more wages. Say we take 9m to add to transfer fee budget. We then have 6m over 3 seasons for wages or roughly an extra 40k per week. Every season should get easier for us to afford the larger wages which aren’t getting lesser. It is tough to swallow at times but the right way to go about it imo. Just have to hope the sales lead to better players and ambitions eventually. Think we are on our way as our targets have steadily gotten more ambitious. 

Agree Joe

But

What we don’t know is how much SL is prepared to keep covering losses

If he’s genuine in his wish for the Club to be self financing we won’t keep spending the money we generate

We may be nipping away at increasing income but the hole/ gap is still massive 

8 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Agree Joe

But

What we don’t know is how much SL is prepared to keep covering losses

If he’s genuine in his wish for the Club to be self financing we won’t keep spending the money we generate

We may be nipping away at increasing income but the hole/ gap is still massive 

The gap will probably always be massive nowadays. Chipping away, imo, is all we can hope for. I would not mind SL saying he only wants to cover 5m of losses per season. It is his money and he has put a lot into the club the last few years. As a fanbase though, we would need to understand that. Have to be patient for it all to come together in a special season.

Still on the right path but the impatience to get to the premier league will always be there by a large portion of the fanbase. I am ok with the slow grind of becoming an established champ side. As you posted in another topic, the quality in the league is generally very good with a few exceptions. I enjoy going every week and I believe the club are trying to get better. I just hope next time we are in a good position we are better prepared than last season. A few months on I can see why such discontent at the time a bit clearer. It is the past now though and think this season will be a bit steadier but around the same(65 points or so). We just need to build on it again next summer with hopefully 2-3 top quality signings to add to this solid squad. 

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

He’s gone and each to their own opinion

As I said it’s you trying to dress up his time here as a loyal years of service

Whats so complicated about that

Hes been paid handsomely to play football , sometimes poorly , sometimes well and sometimes excellently

One good season and he certainly has grabbed the opportunity and the publicity

Some sort of Bristol City Legend Or Saint

He ain’t 

You misunderstood me , I'm sorry .

It's not his ' loyal years of service ' that I'm talking about but simply the fact that perhaps after all this time at the club he wanted a fresh challenge and was presented with a very lucrative one in the League where most footballers dream of playing .

Archived