IGNORED

Joe Bryan - Signed for Fulham CONFIRMED

Whites

Bryan is a funny old player, great on his day and certainly a Championship player and possibly a lower half premiership player but would I be sad to see him go? Not really, it’s hard to explain but I don’t think we will miss him that much. He looked disinterested on Saturday and for a good deal of matches last season. Decent player but if it is 6m as an opposition fan I would be expecting more consistency and maybe he will deliver that for his new club. Good deal for whoever buys him but ultimately if reinvested correctly, better for us.

1 hour ago, EmersonsKev said:

good luck to the kid.  some great memories.  ultimately £5m for any player with less than 12 months on a contract is great business.  if players dont wish to be here regardless of how good they are then they have to move on.  equally we have an England U20s international waiting for game time and now needs to play.

onwards and upwards.

^This.  Am disappointed it might be another Championship club, but if he feels he needs a change and to make that step, good luck to him.  We can't be sentimental about players, just because they were born here.  Our model has to be one of developing talent and moving it on, using the money to build and go again.  It's worked for Southampton.

5 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

The gap will probably always be massive nowadays. Chipping away, imo, is all we can hope for. I would not mind SL saying he only wants to cover 5m of losses per season. It is his money and he has put a lot into the club the last few years. As a fanbase though, we would need to understand that. Have to be patient for it all to come together in a special season.

Still on the right path but the impatience to get to the premier league will always be there by a large portion of the fanbase. I am ok with the slow grind of becoming an established champ side. As you posted in another topic, the quality in the league is generally very good with a few exceptions. I enjoy going every week and I believe the club are trying to get better. I just hope next time we are in a good position we are better prepared than last season. A few months on I can see why such discontent at the time a bit clearer. It is the past now though and think this season will be a bit steadier but around the same(65 points or so). We just need to build on it again next summer with hopefully 2-3 top quality signings to add to this solid squad. 

From a financial POV (Transfermarkt is a bit ropey on some players individual figures (we apparently got £2.52m for Magnússon and only laid out £1.44m on Engvall- said we only spent £1.89m on Magnússon too). Regardless it's usually pretty good hit-rate so I often use it as a source). We've done very nicely from that perspective. Should get the losses down a decent amount.

I will have a crack at it later the profit on transfers in a number of senses...no doubt it's big once Bryan goes for sure. (Not even factored in potential cash for Baldock sell on clause either).

13 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

The gap will probably always be massive nowadays. Chipping away, imo, is all we can hope for. I would not mind SL saying he only wants to cover 5m of losses per season. It is his money and he has put a lot into the club the last few years. As a fanbase though, we would need to understand that. Have to be patient for it all to come together in a special season.

Still on the right path but the impatience to get to the premier league will always be there by a large portion of the fanbase. I am ok with the slow grind of becoming an established champ side. As you posted in another topic, the quality in the league is generally very good with a few exceptions. I enjoy going every week and I believe the club are trying to get better. I just hope next time we are in a good position we are better prepared than last season. A few months on I can see why such discontent at the time a bit clearer. It is the past now though and think this season will be a bit steadier but around the same(65 points or so). We just need to build on it again next summer with hopefully 2-3 top quality signings to add to this solid squad. 

I can’t see how the Club can ever be self sustaining in reality - 

Im completely meh (Probably more against)  (Other than the financial rewards) about the Premier League and personally happy to see us being competitive in this standard with a view to gradual improvement

I do get frustrated with how we utilise the resources we have at times and in the same vane some of our managerial appointments over the years 

The problem with lack of serious intent is that we will lose our better players regularly 

Thus IMHO Our success or otherwise will simply ‘succeed’ or ‘fall’ on 

* Our ongoing recruitment (and selling) decisions

* LJs managerial and coaching abilities

Ive seen us get unnecessarily relegated too many times and if we can establish ourselves as a decent Championship side with the chance to have a go at it occasionally and a few cup runs would do me personally (Apreciate many / most are impatient for us to go up)

8 minutes ago, EmissionImpossible said:

Bryan is a funny old player, great on his day and certainly a Championship player and possibly a lower half premiership player but would I be sad to see him go? Not really, it’s hard to explain but I don’t think we will miss him that much. He looked disinterested on Saturday and for a good deal of matches last season. Decent player but if it is 6m as an opposition fan I would be expecting more consistency and maybe he will deliver that for his new club. Good deal for whoever buys him but ultimately if reinvested correctly, better for us.

This pretty much sums up my sentiments. In most games he'll do something to impress and look destined for bigger things but he'll also be caught out of position a lot and tends to let too many crosses come in from his side. Good player but can be replaced and probably needs a move to kick on as a player

5 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

And ambition.

At the end of the day, by absolutely any measure, Villa are orders of magnitude bigger than us. 

We would struggle to keep any player amid serious interest from a club of that size, no matter how ‘ambitious’ we are. 

We could have signed Ronaldo in January and it’s sill not going to stop players having their head turned by a big club which can, and will, double or treble their wages. 

Anyone who seriously thinks we can compete with them in the market needs a reality check. 

5 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

At the end of the day, by absolutely any measure, Villa are orders of magnitude bigger than us. 

We would struggle to keep any player amid serious interest from a club of that size, no matter how ‘ambitious’ we are. 

We could have signed Ronaldo in January and it’s sill not going to stop players having their head turned by a big club which can, and will, double or treble their wages. 

Anyone who seriously thinks we can compete with them in the market needs a reality check. 

Yes they are, my point however is that this move is not likely to be just about money .

Do you think if we matched what Villa or Boro were offering he would stay?

Not a chance.

2 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

Yes they are, my point however is that this move is not likely to be just about money .

Do you think if we matched what Villa or Boro were offering he would stay?

Not a chance.

Impossible for me to answer that question. Depends what motivates him I guess. 

The reality is we won’t be able to pay him what Villa or Boro do. The gulf between recently relegated PL teams vs those who haven’t been there is absolutely enormous. 

3 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

The only thing I would add to this is here is a list of clubs most of whom were/are big clubs now in the championship, some of whom are serial financial messes, I would seriously think about the financial stability of a club I was considering moving to if I was JB.

Leeds.

Bolton.

Birmingham.

Blackburn.

Forest.

Villa.

Wednesday.

QPR.

Villa nearly blew it last season over stretching themselves, it looks like their investment for this season is to tread water once more in the hope of promotion to steady the ship.

Forest must have one of the longest running financial suicide notes and I suspect it will be back to the norm if this season does not pan out for them.

3 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Impossible for me to answer that question. Depends what motivates him I guess. 

The reality is we won’t be able to pay him what Villa or Boro do. The gulf between recently relegated PL teams vs those who haven’t been there is absolutely enormous. 

My point was hypothetical however I doubt he is leaving purely for the money.

5 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

The only thing I would add to this is here is a list of clubs most of whom were/are big clubs now in the championship, some of whom are serial financial messes, I would seriously think about the financial stability of a club I was considering moving to if I was JB.

Leeds.

Bolton.

Birmingham.

Blackburn.

Forest.

Villa.

Wednesday.

QPR.

Villa nearly blew it last season over stretching themselves, it looks like their investment for this season is to tread water once more in the hope of promotion to steady the ship.

Forest must have one of the longest running financial suicide notes and I suspect it will be back to the norm if this season does not pan out for them.

Understand what you’re saying EMB but do players really care about a Clubs financial future

Their wages and personal  payments are all but guaranteed and the first financial commitments ,after HMRC , that have to be met if a Club goes into administration

and like all players they’d simply move onto a nice deal at another Club

It might throw a spanner in promotion ambitions but won’t effect them long term 

Is it really £3m, rising to £6? Personally I would turn that deal, as much of the extra will result on them going up.

We would still get £3m for him in January if he is in good form and playing well, and by then we might be in the top 6 ourselves and then sign a new deal. 

For only £3m up front, I wouldn't accept.

56 minutes ago, Flagon said:

Not sure if I'm remembering this correctly but didn't he get two great free kicks from almost same position? Think it was against Plymouth.

Certainly was. I was at that game. Both goals in front of the Atyeo within a few minutes of each other 

6 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Leeds.

Bolton.

Birmingham.

Blackburn.

Forest.

Villa.

Wednesday.

QPR.

Don’t think players care to be honest. I think as fans we think players care about a number of things that don’t really even cross their minds. £10k/w here or £25k/w at Villa, they could finish one point from relegation and the average player isn’t going to lose any sleep. Laughing all the way to the bank. 

Joe has decided he wants to move on which is his choice, it maybe for money, to have a greater chance of the Premiership or for a new challenge, we don’t / won’t know. So as it stands he looks to be Villa or Boro bound. 

Suspect Joe and his agent were hoping for something better, in at least some firm Premiership interest. Nevertheless, Joe is an intelligent young man who will rightly do what’s best for him.

On his day- Joe Bryan is a truly great player.

I think his day is a Thursday.

Good bit of business whoever he goes to and wish him well. But let's not have any of this "great servant" rubbish please. He's got paid massive money and clearly wanted a move. All my great servants get paid sod all and would never dare to leave my employ.

10 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Understand what you’re saying EMB but do players really care about a Clubs financial future

Their wages and personal  payments are all but guaranteed and the first financial commitments ,after HMRC , that have to be met if a Club goes into administration

7 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Don’t think players care to be honest. I think as fans we think players care about a number of things that don’t really even cross their minds. £10k/w here or £25k/w at Villa, they could finish one point from relegation and the average player isn’t going to lose any sleep. Laughing all the way to the bank. 

Well that never happened when Portsmouth went tits up, lots of players lost out.

All I am saying is to a seemingly intelligent young man like JB (not talking about the Kodjia's of this world) I would hope it would be a consideration. After all Villa's alleged debt has surpassed that of Portsmouth's and god knows what QPR's debt must be.

Out of the 2 clubs Middlesborough seem by far the more financially stable in the long term, as long as he could actually bring himself live up there and stomach Pulis.

1 minute ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Well that never happened when Portsmouth went tits up, lots of players lost out.

All I am saying is to a seemingly intelligent young man like JB (not talking about the Kodjia's of this world) I would hope it would be a consideration. After all Villa's alleged debt has surpassed that of Portsmouth's and god knows what QPR's debt must be.

Out of the 2 clubs Middlesborough seem by far the more financially stable in the long term, as long as he could actually bring himself live up there and stomach Pulis.

I’m no expert on it but I think you will find , as a result of their recent investment debts are not an issue , their financial concern is more FFP 

3 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

i doubt he'll go to boro as its too far away from his roots, villa on the other hand is perfect for him

I would be really gutted to see Joe go to another championship club. But unfortunately you have to face up to the reality he doesn't want to sign a new contract with us, as I'm sure he could easily get another 10k a week up the road. His desire to play in the Premier league won't come into it, as the money will do all the talking at the end of the day. Just hope his replacement is up to the championship, what ever money get's spent from Joe's transfer of £6m.

29 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Great point - footballers have a shelf life and so aim for best deal - of money coupled with growth as a player - I’d assume . I know that’s what I’d do.  I can’t inagjne their doing a due diligence approach on the long term stability of a club , if that was the case I can’t imagine many clubs would pass ?! 

If a club did go bust then there contract could be torn up and they get a nice signing on fee to go somewhere else . 

Archived